SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Root Pruning mango trees

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

I was reading some of Al Tapla's old posts on root pruning pot grown fruit trees. I came across his practices for root pruning. He mentions that even year old trees will lose there vigor if there not root pruned. Honestly, I am too chicken shi* to do this.

I have root pruned before but that was many years ago. I want to say it was just a common shefflera(probobly mis spelled, sorry!), and the tree survived and it did grow more lush. The thing was, I really wasn't worried about losing it because they are so common, it would have only cost me about $10 to replace.

My mango trees are completely a diffrent story. I am reluctant to touch the roots on my Maha Chinook. I know that the Lancetilla will need it sooner since it is more vigorous.

I also read that seedlings can have there tap root totally removed and that will force the feeder roots to spread out along the top few inches of soil instead of the tap root growing deeper and deeper into the soil.

Can anyone give me some links to old posts that have pics of root pruning?

Have any of you root pruned your mango trees, and if so, how many years went by before you root pruned your tree.

I also am wondering if I should remove the tap root on my seedling Ataulfo. If it will take at least 10 years to fruit, I really don't want to start all over again.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments (10)