SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardningscomplicated

how tall and wide do your tomato plants get?

I'm designing my new tomato garden, and I'm working on plant and row spacings. I'll probably do some interplanting to avoid monocropping. And I may leave some space between blocks of plants, with the hope it will help slow down the spread of disease from block to block (I have no idea if it'll work). I'm mostly planting large indeterminate heirlooms. Italian tree from tomatofest will probably be my largest. And I hear Matt's wild cherry could try to take over the whole garden. But I have a wide variety, including some determinates. So I'm going to have all different shapes and sizes. And I'm wondering how big these things will get, so I can calculate my bed sizes, path widths, and plant spacings.

So my questions are, how wide and tall do your plants get? What kind of spacing do you use? What kind of support? Do you prune them? And do you think yours are larger or smaller than average? Or somewhere in the middle? I'm in southeast Michigan, and I don't think mine will get huge because our growing season is kinda short, and it tends to be cloudy a lot. And I'll probably space them in a way that doesn't favor maximum individual plant size. And I don't plan to prune, except to keep stuff off the ground.

Comments (18)