SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rt_peasant

Brandy Boy F1 vs F9

rt_peasant
10 years ago

Last year, after reading many positive reviews about Brandy Boy, I decided to give this tomato a try. I wasn't excited about paying $11 (ugh!) for a packet of seeds, so I initially reached out to some GW'ers who had been saving Brandy Boy seeds. When I didn't hear back, I broke down and ordered a packet from Burpee. Shortly after receiving my seeds, I got contacted by John A, who graciously offered some of his Brandy Boy F9 seeds. (Thank you!) I decided to grow one of each, F1 and F9, to see how they compared.

As far as growth habit goes, I don't think two plants could be more identical if they were clones. The flavor and overall eating quality were identical as well.

May 11, ready to plant the seedlings under Wall o' Waters.

Both plants lost some leaves when the WOWs got too hot.

No worries, by June 15, both plants are looking great.

Two weeks later, the plants are exactly the same size and shape (the 2 in the middle with the T-stakes).

July 15, still looking identical in every respect, with almost identical numbers of green tomatoes.

75 days after transplanting the seedlings, both plants produced their first ripe tomato. Here is the only difference that I noted. While both plants produced a variety of tomato shapes, the F1 produced more tomatoes like the one on the left, while the F9 produced more like the one on the right. I don't know if this is significant on a sample size of 1 plant each, but it's something that I noticed.

Both plants produced dozens of tomatoes, so productivity was excellent for both. The eating quality for both the F1 and F9 was outstanding. Brandy Boy is tangy, almost too much so for my wife. I like tomatoes with some zing, so they were perfect for me. They were juicy and practically fell apart when I sliced them. I had to be careful transferring them from the cutting board to a slice of bread, to keep the slices intact. They have very thin skin. If they so much as bumped another tomato's stem, they would be punctured. If I had one complaint about this tomato, it's that it has a relatively large core.

All in all, Brandy Boy is an excellent tomato. It's fairly early, a vigorous producer, and tastes great. It says on Burpee's website that it's a hybrid, but I wonder if it's just a nice natural selection. At any rate, it appears to grow true to its parents like an OP.

Comments (65)