SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilo_gw

adaptive gardening

wilo
14 years ago

So this past year, I had surgery and was in a wheelchair for about 5 months. I also have severe arthritis in my knees and can't stand or walk much. Because of the wheelchair, I got to do no gardening starting early April. Even this past fall, I did none because I was still shaky getting around. I'm ready to get back to it, but have more limitations than I did before.

I do use a metal rocking chair that I drag around and I can sit in it and prune or water or some weeding. The chair lets me lean forward without danger of falling and it saves my knees. I tried gardening rolling seats and that swivel kind of thing. They are way too low for me.

Those of you with similar limitations, what do you do? I'm realizing that long handled tools are helpful and having what I need to carry with me in a lightweight tote is crucial. I really don't want to give up gardening. I have very little help. I can, a couple of times a year, get my kids to help out, but they are not gardeners and would rather not. Plus I raised them to be rather independent and they are used to that in me as well.

Any hints or tips would be most appreciated.

Comments (8)