SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

Best Fertilizer for Containers?

yumtomatoes
13 years ago

This year, I germinated my seeds in Miracle Gro Moisture Control soil which has some (relatively) high in nitrogen slow release fertilizer in it. I am growing in containers so I am sure the fertilizer gets washed out before the 6 months they say it will last up to.

I also used some Jobe's tomato spikes (which are 8-24-8 but no calcium) and Miracle Gro water soluable tomato fertilizer (which is 18-18-21 also with no calcium).

After I realized that I should use something with calcium unless I was sure there was enough in my water (I have no idea), I switched to Dynamite Mater Magic (5-5-9 plus calcium) and since that was so expensive, I ended up with Tomato Tone (3-4-6 plus calcium). I added it to the soil and mixed it in some, but not much because of the roots.

What I do now is dissolve 1 TB tomato tone in a gallon of water and then pour that on the plants once a week. Add another TB to the mulch on top of the containers and water that in every 2 weeks or so.

What is the best fertlizer for container plants? I have to water them a lot because they are in black pots and it gets hot here in Florida.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals