SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda641

Please look @ my 2008 lineup & make suggestions

brenda641
16 years ago

I have been reading this forum for about the last year and have learned much. There seems to be some very knowledgeable people here. Last summer I began reading this forum about what tomatoes seem to be reliable with a good taste (for most people) and this is how I came to my choices. I placed my seed order with Tomato Growers Supply (this decision was made by reading here also).

I also have been reading over at the Container Forum. Which prompted me to purchase 13 Earthbox's in the past 8 months. Out of the 13 box's 7 will be dedicated to tomatoes. Here is my lineup with a total of how many of each I will plant.

In your opinion would you plant more or less of the following?

Kellogs Breakfast 4

New Big Dwarf 4

Neves Azorean Red 4

Sprite 2 (Freebie planting just because. I have not found much info about this one)

Thanks you for your time,

Brenda

Comments (25)

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi,

Personally, if I had room for 12-14 plants, I'd plant 12-14 different varieties. There are SO many great tomato types and varieties out there to try, I can't imagine limiting myself to just 4 varieties (unless you have some particular reason for this).

Anne

• brenda641
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Annie:
    Thanks for your response but, it did not help me out much. To answer your question.
    I did not want to purchase 14 different types of seeds and I am new to growing heirloom tomatoes and did not want to be overwhelmed with to many varieties while I'm just starting out. In the following years I hope to try others as well.
    Thank you,
    Brenda

• Related Discussions

suggestions please to make my yard look nicer

Q

Comments (2)
    The grass or vegetation looks pretty nice. Since you didn't complain about it (as in it is a bunch of weeds that you also want to get rid of), then I might suggest using paver stones to make a path. The grass will still grow up to the stone and need cutting or trimming, but you can achieve the path without too much digging or ground prep. If you decide to go with pea gravel, I would dig down a few inches, lay landscape fabric or weedblock, then fill in with pea gravel. You may also want some kind of border so that the gravel or dirt don't eventually mix up together on the side of the path. I don't recommend to put the gravel on the soil directly because weeds will eventually grow through, and also as you step on the gravel over time, it just sinks more and more into the ground. The fabric helps to not sink in as much, even though you do still get it a little bit.
    ...See More

My I please make a suggestion?

Q

Comments (4)
    I try my darndest to write down all the sharing and trading names that I get in touch with or they get in touch with me. If you are sharing so many goodies with people , it is so hard. I just started. Had boxes already taped shot when I saw the card on the table and opened it again. But then I have not come close to the amount others send out at the cutting time. Carolyn hopefully the generous person will see your post or someone knows who it is. Kylie good luck to you too. And for myself. On the Weekend I will go over my book and see who I owe what and get in touch with you. The SB messed me totally up. Only waiting on the triple dat seeds and then I can at least send the seeds out. Lucy
    ...See More

My 2008 SF Garden - looking for suggestions

Q

Comments (16)
    Penguingardener, I am really hungry for garden space. I lack of that and something every year gets compromised. Last year i had to settle down with only straberries, tomatoes, peppers, and one eggplant. NOT THIS YEAR! I was very excited to find out about square foot gardening. the solution of my problems!. My eggplants also reach 4 feet high, but they are not as full as tomatoes plants. If i cut suckers off the tomato plants and keep them in one or two stems and provide vertical support, even if they grow to an enormeous size i should be ok, at least i think. thanks for the Marigold input, i did not know they grow so large, maybe i should find another place for them and not plant them in the new beds. In regards the cilantro, i never had much sucess with them, i planted a row of 6 plants, and they only grew about 1' or so. They looked healthy, problably they lacked fertilizer. So i let them die last fall in hope of them regrowing form the seeds they drop. To answer your climate question, i am in between zone 6 and 7 (i think, i leave in RI) I tried composting this year for the first time, but its a problem here in the city, atracts all kinds of animals to my property. Specially RATS!. So i will have to find out where to get organic compost, of at least 3 different sources. where can i get this fish tea?. Thanks for answering the amount of feeding time per months, i was really looking foward somebody answering that question. P.S. I just planted indoors my fourth of July Tomato seeds. My goal is to mimic in the link below. Everyone here in RI plant tomatoes outside on or after memorial day to be on the save side. Last frost is supoused to be early may but we have seen snow here in May. Weather is crazy in New England. I can problably plant them early may, but i problably have to cover them or provide protection. Here is a link that might be useful: First tomato, July 24th!
    ...See More

Please make a suggestion for a specific grow light for my tomatoes

Q

Comments (8)
    I will also suggest inexpensive 4xT8 fixtures. T5's are "better", but more pricey. Consider editing your post to include the 'growing tomatoes' subforum as well. I have seen other light recommendations there, but I can't find them again. Just because LED is cool and new, remember regular old shop lights are cheap and very energy efficient. You can also put them practically on top of your plants without worrying about burning their leaves, which is a concern with high power (multi-watt) LED diodes. If you like videos describing the benefits/drawbacks of some products this youtube guy has them: https://www.youtube.com/user/albopepper/videos such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KcJf1Tbmbg.
    ...See More
  • aclum
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda,

Well, that makes sense. Although if the purchase of seeds is an issue, I think you can get many types for free or for the price of a stamp and return envelope from people on this forum if you ask. That said, I think Kellogg's Breakfast and Neves Azorean Red are great choices. I haven't tried the other two, although I'll be growing a Sprite this year to see what it's like.

Good luck! I think you're wise to start out with something managable for you and then branch out from there once you get a feel for things.

Anne

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

I grew Kelloggs last year and I learned why they are so popular. They are juicy and meaty, and have a texture that is like no other. They are rather bland though. They don't taste bad, just no zing or sweetness. Don't get me wrong though, I will be growing them again just for the feel of that texture in my mouth. And they make a delicious, rich sauce.

Neves' Azorean Red was one of my favorite last year, and I will never be without it. Delicious and gorgeous. Period. Grow it.

I'll be a first timer with New Big Dwarf and Sprite this year too, so can't help you there.

Now, if you have that much space, here is my advice: You are going to grow tired of all those Kellog's Breakfast, so instead of growing 4 plants, why not grow just 2 (or one) and also grow some Cherokee Purple or Black Krim or Aunt Ruby's German Green? I will send you the seeds and I'll even pay the postage -- no problem. I love Aunt Ruby's GG so much that if I could only grow one, she'd be the one I grew. Cherokee Purple and Black Krim are also superior tomatoes in my garden and belong in every heirloom tomato garden in my opinion.

I'd be thrilled if you click on my name and email me your mailing address so I can send you a few seeds. Really, it's not charity, it's just gardening! And I bet there are others here who would be happy to send a few your way too. That is a lot of space to waste a whole season on.

Diversify! And experience as many tomatoes as you can in the coming season.

• elkwc
    16 years ago

You will just need to try and find out what grows well and tastes good to you in your garden. What I found with KB is the temperature really affects the taste. And also we are dry here so maybe that helps. The first one was a little bland and then till we had a cold spell the second week of October they were in the 8.75-9.25 range. After the cold spell dropped to a little bland again. I take part of my excess to work everyday. After I shared one of them with fellow workers who have never ate op's except for mine they would stand in line and beg for one of the KB's I was eating as I saved most for myself. They had a wow taste except for what I mentioned. Now I've heard others say they were bland and can believe it if the weather is cool. I'm trying KBX this year also. NAR had a great taste but moderate producer. Chapman is one that produced and had a great flavor. Like gardenscout said if you want to cut down on numbers I would gladly send you seeds also. I have over 200 varieties. Just send me a message and let me know. I think you made 3 very good choices to start with. But I would cut them to two each and try a few others. I may have a few extra KBX seeds you could compare against KB. But you can't go wrong with what you are growing either. JMO. Happy gardening and much success. Jay

• dott22
    16 years ago

And if you'd consider growing a hybrid, Sungold cherry tomatoes are also excellent. They are very sweet with a kind of fruity taste to them. Also they're a terrific snack while you're out working with your tomatoes!

Let me know if you want a couple seeds to try 'em.

• lee_71
    16 years ago

All look like good choices and I doubt you will be dissapointed.

Your numbers also look fine as that will give you a good look
    at each variety.

Since you are planting in containers, I would pair up the NAR and New Big Dwarf. NAR gets big, and NBD stays dwarf sized (~4').

As a side note, since you are in NC, plan to come up to Raleigh 7/26/08 for Tomatopalooza[tm] VI. The chance to
    taste >150 different varieties of tomatoes should give you plenty of ideas of what to grow for the future!

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatopalooza[tm] Web Site

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Just one consideration since you will be using Earthboxes - unlike the deeper homemade versions, real EB's are quite shallow. You'll need to come up with a substantial support system for these that is independent from the box itself. Learned that the hard way. ;)

Even a single determinate plant can tip over an Earthbox once it has the weight of fruit on it. This, even though I think they were developed for use with determinate varieties rather than indeterminate plants. With 2 plants in a box and some of them indeterminates you'll want to be sure to place them where the boxes are well supported and the plants can be independently staked or tied off.

Good luck with your EB gardening. ;)

Dave

• brenda641
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay you guys have me re-thinking my plans and maybe I should try a few others this year.

aclum- Thank you for being the first to reply to my post to get the ball rolling you seem to have the right idea.

gardenscout - You have made me a generous offer & I will shoot you an e-mail. It sure would be awful to get sick of a tomato so maybe only one KB. I also noticed that you also like to winter sow. Do you Winter Sow any tomatoes. I am attempting six seeds of each variety for Winter sowing this year.

elkwc- What is the difference in KB & KBX? I guess one of my downfalls for tomatoes will be the heat & humidity that we experience here. So I need to learn what will do well in these conditions. I plan on sharing most of my crop with co-workers and an elderly neighbor. My son who lives with me has never acquired a taste for them like I have.

dott22- I am glad you brought up the "hybrid tomato" I had originally thought that I may need to plant at least one just in case there was issues with the heirlooms. I may take you up on your offer and plant one Sprite and one Sungold.

lee- I had not thought of your idea about NAR & NBD but it is a good one. I was going to pair them up just like I have them listed. That may help on the weight of each EB. I would love to come to Tomatoplooza that is a great idea. I live about 1.5 - 2 hrs away. Do I need to bring my own salt shaker? LOL

digdirt- I have given some thought to support for the EB situation. Here is what I have planned. Do you think it will work? I am going to line 3 boxes side by side and encase the outside of the boxes by laying cinder blocks. Then with some of the holes in the blocks plant a marigold. I have access to rebar that I will beat about 2' in the ground next to the tomatoes so that I may tie them up.

Great information here this is why I decided to try some heirlooms to start with.

Thanks, Brenda

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda,

I'm SO happy to hear that you're going to try a few more varieties. You won't be disappointed! As long as you have the seeds, it's just as easy to grow one each of 4 different types as it is to grow 4 of one type.

If you grow your original 4 (Kelloggs, Sprite, Dwarf, and NAR), plus Aunt Ruby's German Green, Sungold, Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim, I think you'll have a great selection. But I think you'd also be very happy if you added a pink/purple - something like Pruden's Purple, Aunt Ginny's Purple, or Earl's Faux. (BTW, I might be wrong, I consider Cherokee Purple a Black). Give a holler if you'd like any of these seeds.

I don't know much about EB's but you will probably also want to consider your plant sizes. You can probably have 2 of the smaller plants per box, but some of the indeterminates can get pretty big and you might want to do just one to a box.

Just a few more thoughts.... Have fun!

Anne

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

Brenda, great to hear you are expanding your horizons. I got your email and will send off a nice variety of seeds this week.

I love winter sowing, but I don't take chances with my tomatoes. I start them indoors and hover over them lovingly. Your climate might make it less risky for you, though.

I used EB's last year, and I promised myself I wouldn't put two indeterminates in the same box again. Way too much root stress, in my opinion. But it was a good way to try lots of different varieties in a single season. So if that is your plan, then go for it. But an indet/det combo would be better. (I am growing in the ground this year.)

Good luck, and let us know how everything is going.

• tdscpa
    16 years ago

Sprite must be a bad tomato. Looks like everybody got free Sprite seeds this year.

• tomatomike
    16 years ago

Who was giving away Sprite as a freeby? I got "Tree" Tomato from Totally Tomatoes this year. BTW, I think adding either a Sun Gold or SunSugar Cherry is a great idea. They do make a good snack out in the garden while you are working. SunSugar is more crack tolerant.

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

Sprite was the freebie from Tomato Growers Supply (TGS) this year. It was also on the cover of their catalog. I'll be trying it this year.

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda,

Let us know what seeds you got and what you'll be growing. Although I've been growing tomatoes from seed for several years, I'm no way as experienced as others on the forum. Offhand, given the varieties discussed so far, I'd combine the sprite with a cherokee purple in one box, a dwarf with a black krim in another (4 plants so far in two boxes and 5 boxes to go) and give a single box each to ARGG, NAR, Sungold, kelloggs, and a purple. So you'd have a total of 9 plants in 7 boxes, but the production would probably be the equivalent (weight wise) of 12-14 plants. Fewer plants than your original plan, but more diversity and probably as many fruits. You mentioned giving many of your fruits away so maybe "production" isn't that big of an issue. It seems I've always grown too many types to get huge production from any one (do alot of pruning to fit things in), but it's been so much fun go go out each morning or mid-morning to select just the most perfectly ripe tomato for my BLT breakfast/brunch/lunch. Might be a Black Tula one day, Kellogg's another, or Aunt Ginny the next. Variety is the spice of life !

Anyway, just my opinion offhand - but my basic point is that once you diversify, you might need to adapt the plant sizes to the EB - and not necessarily have 2 plants to a box irregarless of variety.

Looking forward to more updates from you - so much fun to get involved in tomato growing - it's really addictive!

Anne

• gardenscout
    16 years ago

I'd combine the sprite with a cherokee purple in one box, a dwarf with a black krim in another (4 plants so far in two boxes and 5 boxes to go) and give a single box each to ARGG, NAR, Sungold, kelloggs, and a purple.

That is a great suggestion to help her plan what to plant in each box. Putting some of those indets alone in their own box is an excellent suggestion. Here is what I sent her, in case anyone wants to help with the planning:

Cherokee Purple
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Black Krim
    Sungold
    Eva Purple Ball
    Rutgers
    Marianna's Peace

I always find that the most difficult part of tomato gardening is deciding what NOT to grow. Good luck, Brenda!

• brandyray
    16 years ago

I don't have the kind of experience you all have but I do live in eastern NC. My faves so far are Brandy Boy, Lemon Boy, and Sungold. I want to try Aunt Ruby's GG and several others this yr. Good luck! Brandy

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi Gardenscout,

Sounds like a great selection!!

I'm not sure how big kelloggs and prudens purple get under ideal circumstances, but in my less than ideal circumstances in the past (too close to where a black walnut tree used to be), they never got very big. Perhaps these two could go together in a single box???

Anyway, now that we know what Brenda might be growing, I'm hoping others who know more about the particular varieties than I do will offer suggestions on what sort of EB combo's would be good. (I'm also interested in hearing what people have to say because I've never gotten much response from previous posts asking about the relative sizes of various plants).

Anne

• elkwc
    16 years ago

I'm sending her Indian Stripe, KBX, Chapman and JD's Special C-Tex. Jay

• brenda641
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone:
    Just a quick note to let everyone know. I am still here. I am going to find some time this weekend to begin to research all the new varieties that are coming my way. I will be in touch with my thoughts on placement and of coarse I will be open to suggestions. Gezzzzzz I think I need more EB's. How will I ever decide who gets to grow this year??
    Everyone has been great.
    Thank you,
    Brenda

• brenda641
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello to all:
    It was a beautiful day in the Carolina's highs in the low 70's and to make it better I received seeds from Gardenscout & Dott22 today!! This is what I have so far: Hopefully you can help me plan my EB's. I only have 7 boxes available to use.

Kellogs Breakfast** I
    New Big Dwarf** D
    Neves Azorean Red** I
    Sprite D
    Cherokee Purple** I
    Aunt Ruby's German Green** I
    Black Krim I
    Sungold Hybrid** I
    Eva Purple Ball** I
    Rutgers** D
    Marianna's Peace I

On the way!
    Indian Stripe** I
    KBX** I
    Chapman** I
    JD's Special C-Tex** I
    The ones with ** after the name are the ones I think I would like to try this year. I= Indeterminate D= Determinate (if I did my homework right)
    Here are my thoughts each line is a box.

New Big Dwarf** D / Neves Azorean Red** I
    Kellogs Breakfast** I / JD's Special C-Tex** I
    Cherokee Purple** I
    Aunt Ruby's German Green** I
    Sungold Hybrid** I/ Rutgers** D
    Indian Stripe** I /Eva Purple Ball** I
    KBX** I / Chapman** I

What do all of you think? To many Indeterminates? I knew when all these seeds arrived I would want to plant them all.
    Help!
    Brenda

• lowcountrygal
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have just joined today, but have been reading the messages for several months. I live near Charlaston, SC. About 30 miles inland from the beach to be exact. I have lived here for 28 years. Grew up neat Blowing Rock, NC. My family had a huge garden each year, and wonderful flowers, and yard. For 25 years I lived at the beach, and never had the time to consider growing vegetables. I was a single parent, work and my daughter consumed all my time. Since 2000 I have remarried, had a bad auto accident that left me partially disabled, and in 2006 we bought this house and moved inland. My husband is not in love with the beach as I am, and he says we are to old to run from the Hurricanes every few years. It is very different here. Some good, and some not so much.

My husband is from Europe and really into organic foods/products. This winter after throwing many tomatoes away he asked me to consider growing some for him. I love yard work, and I am pretty good with grass/flowers, but don't remember very much about the vegetable gardens my family had. Plus, I am in very different growing conditions here. I have heard horror stories about growing tomatoes.
    I have purchased some Early Girl, and Better Boy plants from Lowes, and want to grow them in pots surrounded by herbs.

Can anyone offer me advice ? I am wondering how much space each plant needs ? My soil is a mix of red clay, and some sort of grey looking marbled clay. It sets up like cement. I can barely dig in it. Much different from the sandy soil at the beach. Never dreamed 30 miles could make such a huge difference. I bought some organic potting soil with Miracle Grow mixed in. Says it is specific for vegetables. Do I need to add anything else to the pot ? For example, I read that I should put pebbles in the bottom of the pot, mix the potting soil with my regular soil, then mulch with shredded paper, and pine straw. Does this sound right ? Oh, another site says put rusty nails in the pot to add iron, and spray with soap to keep down the bugs. Help ! I am very confused here in SC ! My plants are going to die before I can figure out how to plant them.
    I fear I am already to late as the heat and humidity are kicking in. My birthday is Tues, and most years after that this area turns into a steamer.

Confused in SC,
    Linda

• dave1mn2
    15 years ago

~~~ I have purchased some Early Girl, and Better Boy plants from Lowes, and want to grow them in pots surrounded by herbs. ~~~

A 20gal container is not too big for each plant and from the description of your native soils, none of it will go to waste as you change some or all of it out each yr. I do not use any native soil in pots or nails or pebbles or anything else. Your milage may vary.

Space requirements depend on the growth habit you'll be using. Some prune to single stem and plant intensively. Others sprawl with wide spacing and everything in between.

Unless your needs and abilities are lrg, I'd consider raised beds for future. Raised beds will be easier to tend and develop the soil.

If you want in ground gardens ... From your description, you are dealing with a moderately to highly plastic clay which will cause you much moisture grief. If you work it too wet it will clod and stay that way, perhaps for a yr. If you work it too dry it will turn to dust and eat your tiller all the while providing a less than optimal medium for your plants as it will hold too much moisture too long and dry too hard to be friendly to roots.

I would consider getting (from a reliable, safe source) enough of what passes for topsoil in your area to cover your garden spot with several inches (more is better), same with cow or horse manure (aged preferably), and if you can get it, river sand predominantly made of chert. Till all that in and add more loads of manure each yr and in about a decade, you'll have a nice spot :-)

I'd go with raised beds and lots of compost.

Have Fun!

• greenlott
    15 years ago

I think I have two mega blooms. My maters have just started blooming and on Delicious and Giant Belgium I have discovered what I believe to be a multiple bloom or mega bloom. I want to grow a giant and in the past these big blooms have failed to set. I have shaken the plant and have used a q-tip to try and polinate these large blooms. So far these two are still trying to set. Any suggestions for me to insure these large blooms set double or triple fruit? This is my first time trying to post and I'm not very computer literate. If this gets in the wrong place I'm sorry and would like help in telling me what to do to make this a new subject. Thanks.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Hi greenlott - I'll be glad to set this up as a new thread for you. I'll just copy and paste your post and put on the title: Question about mega blooms. It will have my name on it but you'll be able to find it by the title. That way all the replies to your question won't be mailed to the original poster of this thread. :)

In the future if you'll just scroll down to the bottom of the forum's front page right under the Happy Birthday sign you'll see the Post a New Message box.

Dave