SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracyvine

UPDATE: Adopt a Newbie: Part 2

tracyvine
16 years ago

First, a brief re-hash of the guidelines:

Here are the guidelines for the swap, broken down to the responsibilites for each group:

NEWBIES:

~Must be a member of GW for LESS THAN 2 months. No exceptions.

~Must send your "oldie" a Thank You card & a gift. The gift should be a gardening item: nice gloves, a new tool..etc. If your oldie has a theme garden, it can be something for that. You should discuss this with your assigned oldie, to see what would be appreciated & accepted. Please try to make it unique & something you, yourself, wouldn't mind getting. Remember the value of the plants & advice you are getting in return. :O)

~MUST send your item ASAP, deadline being May 15th. Your oldie WILL NOT send until she/he receives something from you.

OLDIES:

~Wait until you receive your gift from your Newbie to send.

~You will send out 5 plants to your "newbie". These can be from the newbies wish or wants list...or just something you enjoy yourself & think they will too. Again, you should discuss this with your newbie. Sometimes gardening space is a concern...so you'll want to make sure you don't send them something invasive if they have only a 20x10 ft lot. :O) (been there, OOPS!!)

~Also include a few hints on packaging & shipping plants, RR swaps, exchanges...anything that you have found helpful over the months & years. You might also include a few growing & gardening hints. Every gardener, new or old, appreciates these!! :O)

Now for the FUN part!!

Newbies, meet & greet your GWE's!!

GWE's, welcome your newbie!!

Allison & Grovespirit

Peony3 & Pat

Christie & Becky

Kathy & Marie

Lisa & Tracy

Aimee & Mao

Raven & Pixie

Sassy & Sassy

Em & Melinda

Gardenkitteh & Melissa

Thought I would start the new thread since the last one got to 150.

Tracy

Comments (150)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Good Morning Ladies! I hope everyone is off to a great start. I'm sorry wynative about your situation, it"s bad enough to have snow now, never mind being snowed in!
    I'm enjoying reading what everyone got in their boxes and looking forward to mine coming soon. You OLDIES are great!!

I have a question for all of you Garden web pros.
    I joined a round robin that was to last a year! It's one person a month gets sent 11 boxes from the other participants, April was our first month. I sent my box out to Miss April on the 10th of April. I'm sending Miss Mays out today. Noone has heard from two of the participants, they haven't mailed out there packages to April nor have they posted. Sadly, One is the hostess! We haven't heard from her in a few weeks. I know that things happen but a few weeks is a long time. I'm contemplating pulling out of this swap even though I already have June,July and August gifts bought and paid for [I know it's lame, but I work in a home store) I'm just thinking it's not going to go too well when even the hostess isn't following the rules of the swap. Please, someone tell me am I wrong? I thought that this would be so much fun but I find myself a little leary now. I would hate to be black balled in any future round robins because of it. SO, my question is should I stay or should I go? I will only lose out on about 100 bucks and I'll have learned to join round robins hosted by the golden oldies.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Ishare, I know what you're talking about and we're having the same situation with the same member hosting yours in the MNF group for the swap I'm hosting this month. And there have been similar problems with that member in a couple other groups as well. I've emailed her again and am hoping to hear she's mailing in the next couple days, or better yet, a con #. I'm going to put together a box and mail to her receiver if I don't hear from her in a week. My suggestion would be for the group to consider dropping the host if ya'll don't hear from her soon. Or, if that isn't a possibility and you're uncomfortable, I'm not sure. But I do pretty well know that as long as you're a good trader, which it seems you are, you shouldn't be blackballed or anything like that. And I think I can safely say that you would be welcome with the MNF group.

Kathy

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 2

Q

Comments (150)
    naturegirl236 -- thanks for the update on that thank you here for the postage deal elsewhere thing, and sorry for any confusion! *****Have fun, folks!***** Thanks for all the updates everyone, and for keepin' on keepin' on. When this thread fills up, I will get another one started, but I may not check back until the weekend.... *************************************** Current Newbies to be Adopted: razkeys zone 6 (state unknown, please post) (interests: veggies) miafolks2011 zone 6 springfield mass (interests: veggies, fruits) _________________ Adoptions in-process or completed: Willie_Dean 7 North Carolina (cryptid) shoestring zone 5 GateCity, VA (ishareflowers) elaforet zone 7 unk state (flowergirl34) Paperfinch zone 6b TN (flowergirl34) azimuth zone 5?7? New england (beth_b_kodiak) sumwhare 7A (beth_b_kodiak) dbannie04 8 TX (canyonwind) cantwait2garden zone 7 Nc Foothills (naturegirl236) mintygreen zone 5 IA (flowergirl34) bette_wi zone 3 N. WI (soilent_green) bobanda 6 (poisondartfrog) hannah 5 south IN (ishareflowers) ctcfo 6b - Southwest CT (kms4me) kvenkat zone 5a Dever, Co (aquawise) rhashell zone 5 southeast in (jessicavanderhoff) GretchensGarden 9a/Houston, TX (naturegirl236) gardengimp zone 9B Florida (dcj24) downsouthdavid 7 south (hostarookie) Chris_NH_4 z 4/3 NH (flowergirl34) dciolek zone 5B OH (naturegirl_2007) SCPearson 5 NE CT & zone 6 SE MA (kms4me) tempusflits 5 WestCentral IL (rbrady) BogGardner 6 MA (flowergirl34) citygirlseeds zone 9 (canyonwind) efd123 zone 6/7 MA (ishareflowers) GardenCochin zone 6 VA (dem_pa) Manuela via HoHumHollow 6A (canyonwind) lbooth169 zone 7 GA (greenthumbgrow) mavis07 zone 7 VA (greenthumbgrow) morbidzero zone 8b (naturegirl236) bizarrogir zone 10/Sunset 22 Southern CA (cryptid) Scratchits zone 8 OR (canyonwind) NancyPlants zone 5b Kansas (ishareflowers) azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ (beth_b_kodiak) wjarvie zone unk Wyoming (skybird) sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO (aquawise) celeegra z6 NYC (ishareflowers) nuttnhunee z5a (smitties) sundog2010 zone 5a WI (elvis) bhscarlett (aquawise) jshipway zone 6 MD (beth_b_kodiak) Nis941 zone 9 FL/Sarasota (alwaysagarden) wren1 zone 5, Central IL (smitties) HoHumHollow zone 6A RI (dem_pa) BeesNeeds zone 5 deep SW MI (dem_pa) wrenhouse10 zone 5 (diene) ckap zone 9a TX (piksi_hk)
    ...See More

UPDATE: 2nd Annual 'Adopt a Newbie' #2

Q

Comments (51)
    Jaynine~ I'm sorry to hear that! Hillbillygal & Fairyoak- With the drop out of Jaynine, we do not have room for any more Newbies. :O( Please come on over to the MNF thread, though....we ALWAYS have room for Newbies there! :O) NEWBIES: 1~ Cindy (cjcjmass) ** 2~ Deb (murphysmom)** 3~ Mary (prayerrock)** 4~ Carrie (barefoot contessa) ** 5~ Timmy (timmyhotwheels) ** 6~ Nichol (gardenmom2) ** 7~ Sherry (weineydog8) ** 8~ Patti (patti1957) ** 9~ Joseph (jdkind) ** 10~ Matt (Matthewhenry) ** 11~ Michael (riverdank)** 12~ Renee (eradams05) ** 13~ Billie Jo (cntrygrlathrt) ** 14~ Holly (reeselayne)** 15~ Angela (angela00) 16~ Lorraine (paradisa)** 17~ Dani (dbrown1973) ** 18~ Claudia (claudia claymama) 19~ Cindy (maimejo) 20~ Shannon (njcwgrl)** 21~ Wendy (loudbaby) ** 22~Jaime (ashcraftbunch) 23~ Anna (millna2) 24~ ? (Jaycetiger)color> E.G.'S: 1~Mao (mao_tse_mom) 2~Kami (kamiljablo) 3~Linda (lindaruzicka) *2 4~Wendy (sassybutterfly) *2 5~Lisa (ishareflowers) 6~Michelle (micyrey) 7~Nikki (nikkineel) 8~Tammy (greenthumbgrow) *2 9~Kathy (jaleesia) *2 10~Divahethr *2 11~ Dan (dan the mailman) 12~ Pat (pat6) 13~ Diene *2 14~ Karen (kalena67) 15~ Toni (dirtdiggin) 16~ Annie (canyonwind) 17~ Carol (veeja11) 18~ Melissa (hazelnutbunny)color> Also, if I haven't received your information (Newbies) PLEASE SEND THIS IMMEDIATELY! I am assigning partners tonight, and hope to have them posted in the morning. Again, if there are **'s by your name, I have your info. THANK YOU! :O) Melissa
    ...See More

UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

Q

Comments (150)
    Hello everyone, I am from new mexico, zone 7a. I have been using the site for reference for quite a while now and finally decided to make an account. I am an avid seed collector (and grower of course) and was quite excited to find this forum. This newbie board is a great idea and I will definitely be contributing to it in the future :D At the moment I am living in an apartment so I am doing container gardening mostly, flowers and herbs atm, also trying a passion flower vine and a few silk trees. I am interested in succulents, cacti, and really I am open to try anything new. I really want to start growing most of my own food within the next couple years so veggies of all kinds would be greatly appreciated. I have more than one property I am growing at, so I am in no way limited on the types of plants I can grow. Thank you for the help and I look forward to our future exchanges :D -Gabe
    ...See More

UPDATE: :O) Adopt a newbie swap partner list

Q

Comments (147)
    When I returned from delivering the mail today, a package was waiting at my case for me, and what a package! Lorraine (paradisa) sent a wonderful package to me! So nice, that I had to take pictures so I could share them with you all! When I opened up my box, I found another box wrapped in blue tissue with a white bow. Once I had that open, there were a lot of smaller packages, all wrapped up in blue tissue with white ribbons. One of my co-workers watched while I opened up everything, and she kept saying how good of a time SHE was having, just watching me open up everything! Well, here are a couple of pictures of the box, which Lorraine sent for me to keep seeds in... and here's a picture of everything with the box opened up... And now, let me tell you what was inside this wonderful box! First, Lorraine sent a lot of stuff, including the see box, which had a wolf theme. I love wolves, consider them my totem, and love what she sent! Now, here's what was inside this box! a CD by Jim Gaffigan, a comedian, so I can relax and have a few laughs. I've already listened to some of this CD, and it really is funny! a peacock feather (don't know why, but very cool!) a wonderful card package of 25 plant labels dehydrated tomatoes (I'll use these in my cooking) homemade strawberry jam 2 packs of seed envelopes a small wolf notebook wolf-themed calendar/checkbook cover wolf bookmark medium-sized wolf-themed notebook 11 different types of tomato seeds nasturtium mix double-click cosmos white brown-eyed susan vine chinese lanterns yellow clasping coneflower cosmos - bright lights cosmos - orange fluted cosmos - tall yellow cosmos - picotee calendula toothache plant geum trifloreum morning glories nemophilia - penny black rose seeds (I've been wanting to try to grow roses from seeds!) gomphrena hardy pink hibiscus (from Lorraine's hibiscus) blue sweet peas fan fare gallardia this box was incredible! THANK YOU LORRAINE!!! (and to think that she was worried I wouldn't like what she sent. how could I NOT like it???) now, all you other e.g.s, aren't you just jealous? hehehe ***heading off to bed now*** -Dan
    ...See More
  • hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

I just received a very sweet gift from Allison! She sent an awesome pair of gardening gloves (in my favorite color!), a really pretty charm bracelet (with gardening charms!) ALSO in my favorite color! :O)
    She included a very cute card and also....
    I hesitate to say this, because we FINALLY got this thread back on a "clean" track! LOL
    But she included...BLOW POPS!! *giggle*
    But my kids have already demolished them. Snatched them out of my hands before the package was even fully open. *sniff*

Allison, I love everything you sent. Thank you SO much for sending it, it was very sweet of you!
    BTW, did you make the bracelet & card?? If so, you are VERY talented!!

*Allison & Melissa/Pixie - Allison rec'd from Melissa 4-30, Melissa rec'd 5-2
    *Peony3 & Pat
    *Christie & Becky
    *Kathy & Marie
    *Lisa & Tracy- Tracy rec'd 4-28
    *Aimee & Mao
    *Raven & Pixie
    *Sassy & Sassy
    *Em & Melinda- Melinda rec'd 4-30
    *Gardenkitteh & Melissa- Melissa rec'd 4-28, Diane rec'd 5-1

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa, I would safely say go ahead and start hosting it yourself if you wish to. That person has been spotty at best and was late to send in the March MNF as well. There was a lot of difficulty in getting her information to send a package to her as well.

Way back in the late summer/fall we had a hostess disappear. It was an odd situation but I ended up volunteering to host if no one else objected. Everyone was relieved to be able to move forward so I hosted and we were able to move on and finish that month's swap. I felt a little awkward putting my foot in and possibly stepping on toes but with no communication in this day and age there isn't a good excuse for a hostess to completely disappear.

If you want out, there is no harm in backing out as long as your obligations have been met and are up to date. I haven't been following that swap so don't know the particulars of how it is supposed to work.

Melissa, nice box there baby! I bet you look purdy in your bracelet. I love charm bracelets. My Mom had one when I was little and I loved looking at all the special trinkets hanging from it. Sweet memories.

Allison, that was a very thoughtful gift that you sent. You are a sweetheart! Love the blowpops! lol!

Tracy

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just wanted to share with you that the Gnomes have been hard at work with their first rainfall and have just settled a debate between my Mom and Hubby over how much rain we got this afternoon. I jumped up and ran outside to see what the little fellas collected and it was 1 3/8"! Ha! MOM won! lol! She guessed 1 1/2" while hubby said 3/4"! We are getting another shot at storms right now so they are busily running around catching raindrops!

• christieb199
    15 years ago

Hi Girls! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Becky, I am still working on your package. I was out of town for the week and finally back home. So I am hoping that I am finished with everything by the end of the weekend.

Lisa, I went and read the original thread for Gardener of the month, and Jamies birthday is in June. IF your group decides to remove the hostess, I would gladly join if I was allowed. I could send a gift to Susan this month (for May?). Let me know what you think.

Christie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I agree w/ Tracy on 'stepping in' to hostess Lisa! I, unfortunately was paired w/ this person for 2 swaps this month and did manage to get one email from them but nothing since.. :( It was very disappointing since it was my very first RR! Now, the hostess is offering to step in and send to me instead but I feel awful putting that extra expense on someone else!

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

I did make the bracelet :)

Glad you liked it!

Allison

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Tracy,
    I'm glad to hear the gnomes aren't sleeping on the job, I was told that they were lazy gnomes!
    I'm going to try and answer your questions from yaesterday, for some reason it wouldn't let me post the mile long meassage I typed up. The land across the street has both part sun and part shade, it's very dry were its sunny. I want to put all drought tolerant plants over there, I really dont want to have to water it forever. The trike, what a score! that came into my work at 200 dollars and sat in a heap for months because it didn't have the hardware to put it togaether. It was a little hard to visualize what it would look like laying in a pile under a table. I waited and waited for markdown after markdown and finally picked it up for 25!!! Hubby spent about 1/2 an hour finding the nuts and bolts to put it together and viola!. I would have sent one almost the same in red but the shipping was two times more than the item. I do plan on planting around the whole trike and of course, filling the back bed, pedals(they have little lips to hold a small pot) and basket with annuals. I have already picked up a few plants for around the bottom. The front empty bed is in full sun from 11 till almost sun down. I used to have a rhodie and an azelea in there but they grew to darn big. I want to cover the foundation but I don't want something that grows too tall. I'm open to suggestios from everyone!! Please, feel free to pipe in.

I have to say, I personally don't want to step up to hostess the round robin for the next year. I wanted to join a few and see how they work before I hostess one.

Christie,
    I would love to take you into this group but There are 9 others participating in this round robin. I'll have to go over there and see what people think. I'll let ya know

Have a great day ladies

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

Melissa---no fair! I didn't turn you into a frog! I turned you into a bunny. Okay you were already a bunny . . .
    *taps wand on counter* is this thing broken? At least I have the warranty.
    Congrats on the nice box from Alison. Though the line about blow pops made me snort milk out of my nose.

Wynative---I'm laughing at the mental image of the cats traveling to your purse like it's a holy shrine. I'm imagining them doing the low-to-ground crawl out of awe. My sister lives in South Dakota, and she's having trouble with snow as well. It's very sad and very annoying. Strangely, her name is Marie too. Are you sure you aren't a 5', very feisty very pale brunette with almond shaped eyes?

TracyÂThe neighborhood children WERE peaking through during Beltane. I saw great big brown eyes through the holes in my fence. My friends thought it was hilarious and the person chanting cracked up and had to start over. I'll never live it down. They want to have ceremonies at my house all the time now.
    Hopefully your gnomes don't get worn out trying to catch the rain.

I share flowersÂI'm very sorry about your situation with the swap. I'd offer to join and make up for it, but my birthday is in May and you already have a May.

Allison--you are crafty *and* considerate? Color me envious.

-Diane

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I pulled out my book that has water thrifty garden suggestions in it. Here are some of their recommendations. japanese barberris, russian sage, fern leaf yarrow, fountain grass, coneflower, rudbeckia, butterfly weed, cupid's dart, cushion spurge, blazing star (liatris), lambs ears, potentilla, coreopsis, catmint, gaura, verbena, lavender, and daisies.

In the shadier spots you can add foxglove, columbines, and primrose. I hate to suggest too many more of the shadier plants because of how dry it will get in the heat of summer.

For some foundation plantings I would ask at the nursery what they recommend for some small, slow growing evergreens that do not require much maintenance. My arborvitae requires 2 prunings per year and has been close to the same size since we bought the house 4 years ago. I am not very familiar with all the different shrubs and bushes but most can stay relatively compact with regular maintenance.

I love your plans for the trike. That was a great find and what a deal! It is going to be gorgeous with all that you are planting in and around it! You better take pictures when that bed is finished so we can all oooh and ahhhh!

I see that you guys are starting a conversation over there on what to do from here. Good for you. I know Debbya is very experienced at round robins and a wonderful person to have in your group. She may want to host or maybe you could consider taking turns being in charge each month. The nice part is there are no partners to assign. Just a check list to see who has sent and who has not.

Allison, are you guys going to bring pointy hats and brooms next time? Make a big show of it for the kids! lol! That'll fill their little peaking peepers up! lol! I am just giggling at your poor leader having to start over. So funny! Hey, maybe you could sell tickets next time? Make a little cash on the side? lol!

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

I am sooo lost.... lol but thats normal. I am sitting here thinking of "Practical Magic" (one of my fav movies) now and I can't get anything else in my head lol. Allison I am sooo laughing at the big brown eyes through the fence. I agree with Tracy on the Pointy Hats and brooms just to make a show for the kids lol.

Well I got all the plants I bought today planted, the brugs, a "Nancy Regan" apricot rose bush, some more named Canna's, some Lemon Balm, Chamomile and some Butterfly Bushs whooohoo. Yeppers I may be in trouble come next bank statement but gonna enjoy til then!!! I then took advantage of being all by myself this weekend and went up to Texas Traditions (local hmmm diner thingie) and ate some fried mushrooms and got a to go order of ribeye and fries. Sat there for close to 3 hours. Best thing is.... I may have a part time job!!! It would be during the days and whenever else I would want to work. LOL Ma mind was calculating trust me... thinking ok now I wouldn't feel bad about buying plants! LOL like I do now (shush anyone that knows me!!! I am excited though, its a fun place full of people I know and laugh around. (ok so I laugh all the time anyways but still!)

Oh well I have a fire going out back in the fire pit, gotta go add more wood to it. (cleaning up the backyard and hey if the guys just happen to lose something then they will have to tell me what it was, if they can't then I am not accountable for it lol wink wink! I just love spring cleaning!!!)

Pixie (pixie the pyro tonight lmao)

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

Allison has cute but nosy neighborhood children too?
    *winks*

Seriously, I brought up the pointed hats and brooms idea to the coven and they all got a good laugh out of it. One of the men wanted to dress us up in Hogworts robes, but everyone voted him down.

I was reassured by the priestess that our creator must have a sense of humor or (S)He wouldn't have made us such goofy little creatures.

It's so funny because I am the most practical and down to earth of all of us and everyone says so on a regular basis. Where others cast spells, I make chicken soup.

Perhaps I should invest in a big warty fake nose and green foundation. You know, complete the ensemble. Maybe teach myself to cackle. I mean, who am I to fight it?
    *grins*

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Okay, I'm so totally running with this one...BUT..maybe you could have an all black flowerbed, Ms. Kitteh? :O)
    Some "black" flowers!

Mandrake (devil's apple! not black, but a fitting name!)
    tulips~ ÂQueen of NightÂ, ÂBlack Diamond and ÂBlack ParrotÂ
    columbine ~ Aquilegia ÂBlack BarlowÂ
    hollyhocks~ Alcea rosea ÂNigraÂ, ÂBlack Beauty and ÂNight WatchmanÂ.
    Iris ~ÂStudy in BlackÂ, ÂHello Darkness and ÂPaint it BlackÂ
    Dianthus ~ nigricans and D. ÂKing of BlackÂ
    cornflowers~ ÂBlack Ball and ÂBlack BoyÂ.
    mourning widow Geranium phaeum
    Helleborus orientalis ~ ÂLittle BlackÂ.
    Viola ~ ÂBowles Black & ÂMolly SandersonÂ.
    black lily turf ~ Ophiopogon planiscapus ÂNigrescensÂ

Then, all the kiddos would be awed by your ability to grow "dead" flowers! (that's what my kids call black flowers) :O)

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Diane, woops! Sorry, seems I am getting confused with you and Allison! The old brain is taking a holiday lately. I woopsied when I was naming some plants the other day too. Duh! Duh! I feel like a big dope today! lol!

• emsgarden
    15 years ago

Wow - stay away for a few days and you ladies have talked up a storm!

Melinda - so glad you liked your box! I had picked up the stone prior to partners being announced and thought well if it doesnt fit my partner I'll just keep it. but after looking through your info, I thought it was something you would like. And the Victorian rose set was just too cute to pass up. I bought myself one of those Chicken Soup for the Gardner's Soul tapes too. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. But I love that series and thought you might also. Hope you didn't have it already.

Gardenkitteh - I laffed and laffed at picturing the neighborhood kids peeking thru your fence. They are definitely going to be nice to you! I think the pointy hats and brooms would be priceless. The black garden sounds cool and I'm sure would further your reputation LOL The bunny has such good ideas!

Kathy - love your outdoor bedroom idea and all the plant suggestions LOL Guess you and Cliff will be spending a lot of time outdoors huh? lol

ishare - your areas look great and so much potential there! Looks like you are getting some great ideas here!

Pixie and tracy - ya'll are as awesome as ever - miss ya'll!
    Bunny - how are you feeling?

i gotta run - got some things calling my name in the yard and i've already spent over an hour on here reading everything I missed this last week.

Happy Monday all - hope its a good one !
    Hugs Em.

• ravenwv
    15 years ago

This is what I get for being a new person..I had no clue to come back here and CHAT with everyone after the original posting!!!

I swear, if I hadn't been at my job 16 1/2 years and only 3 1/2 away from retiring, I would quit!!!!! Ok, no I really wouldn't quit, but it kept me from doing things I wanted to get done last week lol ...

Anyway.....Pixie, your box is in the mail!!

Here's to hoping this week is smooth..

Raven

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa! I just wanted to post really quick that your box is on the way and the DC# is 0103 8555 7493 4889 3002. I hope you like your plants!

Gotta go, I will come back to visit a little later today!

Tracy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Here is the updated list, please let me know if I missed anyone.

*Peony3 & Pat
    *Christie & Becky
    *Kathy & Marie
    *Lisa & Tracy- Tracy rec'd 4-28, Tracy sent 5-5
    *Aimee & Mao
    *Raven & Pixie- Raven sent 5-5
    *Sassy & Sassy

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Morning everyone! It has gotten so quiet in here lately. Hmm, Maybe I should whisper?

How is everyone? I hope there are some great things happening in the garden for everyone. I spent the day outside yesterday doing some more planting. I was able to plant out a few of my winter sown plants. That was such a nice treat. It is so great to only pay a few cents for seeds that I would have payed several dollars for the plants this spring.

Mao, how is your garden project going for you? I hope you are being careful with all the hard fill that you are taking out.

Pat, is the pool done yet? When can we come over for a dip? :o)

Lisa, I can't wait for you to get your plants! I hope they get there quickly! I moved the gnomes and added some more little plants around them so they can go sleep on the job and hide from my prying eyes if they want to have a lazy day! lol!

Diane, what is the next holiday? Maybe we can come over and hang out with the kids and peak through the fence too? lol!

Emily, I miss you too sweetie! I have been so busy digging outside that I have been ignoring my friends. :o( Hey, did you get your hosta order yet? I was wondering how long it took to get it. I haven't heard anything from them since they sent the receipt right after I placed the order.

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

I noticed it was quiet too! Everyone must be playing outside.

I started a TON of seeds inside this spring. I now have about 200 plants that need to go in the ground ... Yikes! I got a start today, but gave up after about 15 plants. Then I weeded for a while.

Has anyone seen double echinacea in person? I've seen pics of the pink and lime double echinacea in my gardening catalogs, and they look SO cool, but I was just curious if they actually look like that.

Hope everyone is having a fun evening! I put down 56 bags of mulch in the last few days ... hopefully it keeps the weeds away.

Allison

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Allison ~ That sounds just like me today! LOL I'm all tuckered out after about 20 plants!! fun fun... :)

Hugs all,
    Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone! Been so busy at work haven't had time to stop in and say hello!
    Yes, Em I loved the items you sent! I too haven't had time to listen to the tape, but do have several of the Chicken Soup books and really like to read them also! And no, this is a new one for me! All the items were perfect!
    I am planning on getting your box ready in the am to go in the mail! I know what I am sending, but working so many hrs. everyday is a bummer and not having much time to be in the yard! I am off today as I am going to see a dr. today.
    Once again, I have another breast lump and sending me to a specialist again! Did this just a year ago and is quite nerve racking to say the least!
    But I am positive and plan on spending the afternoon and tomorrow in the yard! Yeah! Everyday I have new things blooming and budding out! Just beautiful!
    Wish I could take a trip around and see everyone's yards of the people on GW! I am sure some are quite stunning!
    Have a great day everyone! And Em, I haven't forgotten you, just been busy!!
    Melinda

• emsgarden
    15 years ago

Good morning Sunshine! Tracy you know that brought a big smile to my face LOL Glad you are able to plant some of your ws babies. Wish I had better luck with my seeds - i think the problem is that I am not doing lots of things right. Am going to try, try again. I am so impatient which is one of my biggest problems. I just lost a bunch more seedlings in the bf garden with the heavy rains the other day. I did get my hosta order and they are beautiful! I made a bed for them by the fence under the oak tree and outlined it with some of those freecycle river stones. I'll post a pic when I get to download the pics from my camera. Send an email asking for a shipping date. They seem to be very helpful.

WOW allison - 200 plants - wish I could do that! You will have such a beautiful garden this summer. 56 bags of mulch! Oh your aching back!

Melinda - glad you didn't have it. Good luck with the specialist and yes those things will always work your very last nerve! Lots of T&P headed your way! And I didn't think you forgot me! LOL I know what its like to have a demanding and time consuming job! Believe me, I have so been enjoying not working these last few months. Whenever you can get to it is fine. I appreciate the fact that you "adopted" me! :)

Ok out to the yard again. Ya'll have a great day - Oh wait - has anyone seen a Fuschia 'Dark Eyes'??? I am in love!! LOL Just bought a couple the other day. They have a beautiful pink and purple flower - its outer "petals" are pink with a purple inside and pink stamens (??) coming out of the purple. The flower hangs kinda upside down. If ya'll don't know what this is you have to look it up - it is great! Hope I don't kill it!

Hey where's bunny been??

Ok cya'll later! Hugs Em

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Bunny has been konked out every chance she gets! LOL Which isn't often, but I've been dragging my fluffy tail lately. I am Sooooo tired! Agh! I forgot about this stage of pregnancy. I think I would like to skip it. :O)

I took the girls to Lowe's a few days ago, and WOW, they were packed! They had flowers out the wazoo, and ladies were FIGHTING over them!! OMG, it was wild! 2 ladies were actually fighting over a hibiscus! Can you believe that? Even though there were about 50 of them there, they both wanted the red one. Well, Golly. There were ONLY 15 other red ones! Each just as perty as that one.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,
    Tracy, I love the good morning sunshine!That's what my old boss/friend called me every morning when I arrived for work.
    I haven't been posting much, dealing with the loss of a close friends mom.The wake is tonight so it will be over soon for me.
    I'm waiting patiently for my box to arrive, that will put a smile on my face. I too have been doing a little planting, not 200!! but planting none the less. I have been visiting the local nurseries and buying plants that I shouldn't be! Theres just sooo many! I want them all! Okay, hubby is waiting on me. I have him to help me plant out some wsown babies today.Have a great day ladies!!!!

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Morning everyone,

I hope everyone is having a great day. Its humid outside but sunny and hot so can't complain. It is supposed to storm here later this afternoon YUCKIE. The "cable" guy is coming sometime today to fix our cable. (forgot what time they are going to be here oops).

The Good Morning Sushine has sparked a song that I can't get out of my head now.... Dippity Doo Dahh... Im the happiest girl in the whole USA. sheesh!

I hope all the gardens are taking off and doing well. Miss Emily we have all been in the same situation with seeds at one time or other believe me. Just hang in there sweetie!

Well back outside to play in the sunshine and dirt (mud)

Smiles,
    Pixie

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Em, I thought that might bring a smile to your day! lol! I am so bummed that you are having trouble with your seeds. How are you sowing them? I have some that are germinating already that I planted out in flats. They are the Giant Enchantress Zinnia. The chelones and coleus aren't doing anything yet. I did a little homework on the coleus after the fact and it turns out they need 12 weeks or so to start. I had no idea about that! Maybe by July I will have some little seedlings! Grrr!

Bunny, I am so sorry you are tuckered out. I remember how low my tail was dragging at the beginning of each of my pregnancies. That time seems to drag. That is so crazy how the ladies were fighting over the hibs. Some people are just nuts! If I had realized how big those buggers get I would never have planted mine where I did. I have to dig it up this spring and divide the heck out of it. I should sell tickets for when I do. It is going to be one heck of a wrestling match. You should have seen me when I divided my other one last year. Jumping up and down on the shovel trying to break through the root ball on it. HIIII YAAAAA!

Lisa, I had to laugh, when we were kids my Mom used to sing Rise and Shine, Sunshine to us as she was waking us up for school. Nearly made me scream every time! lol! I checked your DC and it seems to be taking a pit stop in New Hampshire. Hopefully you will have it tomorrow! Sheesh!

Trina, you are just too silly! Dippity Doo Dah to you my funny friend!

Allison, I haven't seen the doubles in person yet. I am dying to get my hands on them soon. I nearly had my mits on some green eyes but then the seller sold out. Sassa frass!

We have more rain, yick! I am reaching my limits on the soggy stuff. Makes for playing in the dirt a little difficult!

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

A new greenhouse just opened up a few miles from my house, YAY! They put a big sign up advertising peonies & iris for mother's day. Some annuals, too. A LOT of other stuff. If it will ever stop storming, I will go take a looksie. I would LOVE to find some new iris. Maybe a peony. I want a red one. Maybe a yellow one.
    Oh, golly.
    I can just get myself into all SORTS of trouble now! I haven't told hubby about it yet. Everytime I buy something, I tell him..."yeah...um, I got that today....."
    He just ASSUMES it's from someone on GW!! :O)
    So I'm not lying....just....not elaborating! LOL
    Bad Bunny.
    I know.
    Awful example for the kids. :O)

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Melissa......hopefully they're not reading GW posts:) We get 'wacky' sometimes:)

• wynative
    15 years ago

Melissa - I do the same thing! Then if I get a great deal like the other day and end up with like a pickup load, I leave them at my sisters and bring them home a few at a time :)

I also want a Yellow Peony - our green house has every color but yellow on sale for $14.00 right now. I guess they were the first to go along with a new rose called Purple Tiger - dark purple with lighter purple stripes - I WILL have one of those 'if' the next shippment they get has any.

I have 14 peony's up right now - even the one that I forgot where I put last fall that there wasn't room for in 'peony row'. Most of them are 3 & 4 years old and should have lots of blooms this year :) Sad thing is that one didn't make the winter, & another isn't doing real great because Pearl the Destroyer of Marie's plants is trying her darnedest to end the life the little thing :( I wonder if Alien's abduct dogs? Maybe if I put a bell around her neck it will attract their attention...

We finally got actual RAIN last night! Of course it was accompanied by about an inch of nickle sized HAIL... But it was fairly soft and didn't do to much damage that I could see this morning. I wish I would have got the rest of my annual seeds planted :( We are to get more tonight, tomorrow & maybe Saturday, with any luck I will get them in this afternoon after work. keeping my fingers crossed.

well... enough of my going on & on...
    Marie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

I GOT MY PACKAGE FROM TRACY!!!!
    Tracy,
    I'm glad you did but you shouldn't have sent so much. I almost bought a couple of those plants, i'm so glad I didn't. I'll make a list for anyone who's interested.
    Tracy sent- penstemon,tinkerbell daylillies "a huge clump),blue stokes aster,purple liatris,butterfly bush, I cant wait for this to grow!,sundown echinacea(didn't have any luck growing from seed) and an orange asiatic lily. To make the list even longer... she added a nail brush ,hand cream,bb blue eyes seeds, HB seeds (I cant wait for these), a nail file, a garden book and a sketch book for plannning where to put my new plants.
    Tracy, My only wish would be that I sent you more of a Thank you gift! I can't wait to have your beautiful plants growing in my yard. Thank you for sponsoring me. I hope that next year I can do the same for a new gardener!!!
    Lisa

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Great box, Lisa & Tracy! :O)
    It was so nice of Tracy to share her hairy balls with you! LOL

*Peony3 & Pat
    *Christie & Becky
    *Kathy & Marie
    *Lisa & Tracy- Tracy rec'd 4-28, Lisa rec'd 5-8
    *Aimee & Mao
    *Raven & Pixie- Raven sent 5-5
    *Sassy & Sassy

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

WHOOHOOO great box Lisa Way to go Ducky! Thats a really awesome box. I just love hearing all the wonderful surprises that we all get.

I have been watching a pair of hummers going crazy this morning they are soo funny!

I hope everyone has a happy day

Pixie

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa, I am so glad that you are happy with the plants! Now hush about the gifts you sent! That was the most amazing box of goodies that I ever got! You blew me away with your generosity, I could only hope what I sent was enough to thank you. I hope the plants are all healthy and thrive for you in your new gardens. FYI on the Sundown Echinacea, that is supposed to not come true from seed in the event that it even germinates. I have been experimenting with the echinaceas from seed this year and doing a lot of research as well as talking to some more experienced growers about this.

That echinacea is from the Big Sky Series from ItSaul Plants and only comes true from division. Yours is divided from one of mine that I bought last year. It will be tiny this year but you will get some good sized plants from it next year.

Big Hugs!
    Tracy

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

I just received the greatest box from Raven!!!! I absolutely LOVE it! Thank you soo much sweetie for everything. Here is what Raven sent me...

an ADORABLE SPRINGTIME Basket with a pink Spring cloth liner, going in my Sunshine Room!!!

Healing Garden Relax Therapy White Tea Body Lotion and Bath Soak (smells very yummy)

Some Grassland Tranquility Potpourri (sp) that is also going in my Sunshine Room, its already in here and it smells sooo soothing!!!!

Thank you soo much Raven!!

I am shipping Ravens box the first of next week so it won't have to sit in the PO Hotel over the weekend in the heat we have going on here.

WHOOOHOOO I am sooo excited!!!

Pixie

• ravenwv
    15 years ago

Yay Pixie!!! I'm glad you received everything and hope you enjoy it!!

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

*Peony3 & Pat
    *Christie & Becky
    *Kathy & Marie
    *Aimee & Mao
    *Raven & Pixie- Pixie rec'd 5-8
    *Sassy & Sassy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Tracy,
    my plants are safe and sound in there new home. They tell they like it better here than at your house! Apparently, you have some pretty scary gnomes running around at night snatching up all the rain water. For goodness sakes Tracy, they haven't had a drink in a week! Whatever possessed you to get a gnome! and the hand, hmm, well talk about that that another time. Have a good night.

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Bunny, I'm planning to try and get Wendy's out on Monday. But I'll let you know for sure when sent:)

Sassy

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pixie! Yay! you got such a nice box! Raven that was so sweet! I think you made our pixie smile nice and bright! Great job!

Lisa, those plants are telling lies now, girl! They are just happy to be out of the box! lol! Nice of you to finally give them a drink! Sheesh, maybe I should come and rescue them from you. Such a meany! You made me so sad I moved my blue hand and now it is holding my pretty bleeding hearts! :o)

Your lazy gnomes have a good life perched up there on their rock waiting for the raindrops to fall off their umbrellas and into the cup. I haven't seen them move an inch since I gave them their new perch. lol!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

How 'bout that? Sassy yours is goin out on Monday too ! :)
    I'm nearly done prettying it up :)

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Heading for the PO shortly, but I have Delivery Confirmation slips here at home, so I have Marie's DC#. It's 03080070000148114742

Hope you enjoy the things I chose for you, Marie! Give me about an hour to finish things here and get tot he PO and then it should show as Accepted :)

Kathy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

*Peony3 & Pat
    *Christie & Becky
    *Kathy & Marie- Kathy sent 5-9
    *Aimee & Mao
    *Raven & Pixie- Pixie rec'd 5-8
    *Sassy & Sassy

• wynative
    15 years ago

Kathy,

As soon as I get back on the 16th I will check the PO, it should be here :)

Have a great weekend & Happy Mom's Day to everyone!
    Marie

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Ok, you crazies!! Which one of you gave me the finger today??

...well...ok...it DID come with 4 other fingers...and WAS attached to a BLUE HAND!.....

Seriously! Do you KNOW how hard I laughed when I opened that up? OMG, this has been the highlight of my week!! Wow, I am so TICKLED!!
    I GOT A HAND!!
    YAY!!!

But, alas...I have no hairy balls to put in it. SOooooo...I figured I'd do the next best thing, and let it help support my "X-RATED" mini rose!! :O)

{{gwi:1265242}}

You girls are so sweet!
    Thank you SO MUCH for making me smile!! :O)
    I needed that!

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay! Now if we put our two hands together we can clap long distance! LOL! Lisa is too HILLARIOUS! LOL! I love her warped sense of humor, I think she fits in well around here, don't you? I love it with your "X-rated" mini rose!

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

YAYYYY I can hear the long distance clapping from here!!! Thats soo sweet Lisa and YES Lisa fits in perfectly in this group of craziessss!!! Gotta love the laughs!

I picked two cucumbers today YAYYY (some finally made it!) I cut one up already and its sooo sweet and yummy!! I surprise myself! lol Fox finally made me some tomato cages (yeppers this would be almost after the fact that they needed them but can't complain!)

It is 92 outside and very humid, I was hoping the mosquitos don't like the heat since they survived the "cold" winter lol but alas they love it! I have Dunks in my eco filter but can't put them in the pond that I was trying to let dry out so guess Imma gonna have to get some more fishies for that pond... oh well just means I'll have two ponds eh?

Melissa that hand looks great with your "X-rated" mini rose!!! Cant wait to see the hand holding roses!

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Melissa, I gotta 'hand' it to ya, that is very cool!!!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    Everyone can use a extra hand every now and again! I couldn't wait to get home from work to check and see if ya got it today. I do hope you plan on growing some HBs for that hand to hold onto!