SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

NEW: It's Time For the Blue Seed Swap!

dan_the_mailman
15 years ago

That means all fruit, veggies, and flowers that are BLUE or have BLUE in the name are welcome!

I, dan_the_mailman, otherwise known as Dan, will be your host for this one. I'm posting this a bit earlier than I'd thought I would, but since the purple seeds are going to Anna now, I thought I'd get us started on this one now.

Here's how it's going to work...

Send any type of blue seeds to me, Dan, in packets of at least 10 seeds, no more than 10 packets per person. Then I will randomly send you back the same number of packets that you sent back. Please do not send multiple packets of one type (for example- 10 packets of lavender). I will do my best to make sure everyone gets a good variety of seeds. And yes, if you wish, you may send extra seed packets which I will distribute as evenly as possible.

You need to sign up before May 2, 2009, and your seeds need to arrive by May 15th. Seeds will be sent out to you by May 22 so you can get them growing for summer. When you sign up, please do so here, and also send me an e-mail with your name, address, garden web name, and e-mail address. I will be e-mailing everyone my address on May 3rd so you will know where to send the seeds.

You will need to send your seeds in a bubble envelope, which will be used to mail you your new seeds. Also, I will need a mailing label with your address on it, and stamps equal to what you sent plus one not attached in case an extra stamp is needed (if the extra stamp is not needed, I will put it in your return envelope). One last thing, please include a note of what you sent so you don't get those seeds back.

Absolutely NO Invasive Plants or Noxious Weeds. These are illegal in many states (including mine). If your not sure, just ask. Many states have a list on the internet as to what types are listed as illegal.

For seeds, please make sure they are no more than 2 years old. For seed Labeling, please put Common name or Scientific name, year acquired seeds, season to plant, and any other information that may be pertain to this variety.

Anything that is either blue, produces blue foliage, fruit, or flower, or has blue in the name can be sent.

In the Purple Seed Swap, some people preferred edibles, some non-edibles, and some wanted a mix. If you'd like, please indicate which preference you have, if any. I can't guarantee what you'll get because I don't know what everyone will send in, but I will do my best to see that you get what you want.

If anyone has any questions, please ask them! I'm here to make this as easy and fun as possible.

Comments (73)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

So .. I was TRYING to look up blue edibles just to see what was out there.. and I came across a sight that says Spiderwort is an edible flower! Anybody ever tried to eat it? :) Just curious!

Dan if there are any BLUE squashes available.. I would LOVE those as well!! Specifically BABY Blue Hubbard, Queensland Blue or Blue KURI. I'm such a pain aren't I? :P

Happy last day of the weekend!
    ~Wendy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wendy, you are by no means a pain, and I've always loved your enthusiasm! LOL! It's good to know what you want!

I'm up early today (wouldn't you know it? and on my day off too!) so I'm trying to catch up on keeping things organized. Here's a list of who I've received information from so far. If you're name isn't on this list, well, where's your info? LOL!!!

And the list is...
    bonechickchris
    Carroteggs
    cybermeowz
    dem_pa
    dan_the_mailman (host)
    ejmoore510
    Frenchfrylegs
    Greenthumbgrow
    ilovefarac
    lindaruzicka
    sassybutterfly_2008
    susantexoma

And, can you believe it? I've even got the list alphabetized! I believe I deserve another cup of coffee for that one, don't you? LOL!

Have a Fantastic Week Everyone!
    -Dan

• Related Discussions

NEW: It's time for a Purple Seed Swap!

Q

Comments (130)
    I got my purple seeds yesterday! And wow! What a selection! I received Grandpa Otts Morning Glories Paulonia Tomentosa Purple Flamingo Celosia Purple Poppy Purple Perfume Nicotania Ladybells Violet Dusk Penstemon An Eggplant Blend (I love eggplant parmesan!) Purple Viena Kohlrabi Pinkeye Purple Hull Cowpea Purple Sweetrocket Hesperis Verbena (love this plant!) African Foxglove (love this one too!) Star of Yelta Morning Glory Purple Liatris Datura Tatula I'm going to have to look some of these up, but that's fine with me! I like learning about new types of plants! Go figure, eh? LOL!!! Thank You Everyone For Sending In These Great Seeds! Thank You Anna For Hosting This Swap! It was a lot of fun, and a great idea! REMINDER: There's still time to join in on the Blue Seed Swap if you haven't already. E-mail me for my address if you'd like to participate. I've already received some great envies full of seeds, and will be sorting them and sending them on the 15th of May. Everyone have a wonderful Sunday! -Dan
    ...See More

NEW: Its time again-fall spectacular Seed Swap-2005

Q

Comments (110)
    I would like to thank you from my heart to Willy and to everyone who participated in this round robin... It's been a pleasure to received the package and learn about the different seeds... Willy... you are really a great person... and ohmygosh I can't even imagine how much work it is to do this... God Bless you! Diana
    ...See More

NEW: Something Blue Something New Seed Swap

Q

Comments (5)
    OOPs top ten wish list: I'd love: Coleus Purple Millet Apricot Agaustache Nasturtium Black Eyed Susan Vine --or any other color Coreopsis (I have mahogohny midget, rose, moonbeam, and zagreb) Painted Daisy Gibson's scarlet potentilla Gladiola seed Your fav white perennial flower
    ...See More

NEW: Third Annual Winter Blues Seed Swap

Q

Comments (68)
    Wow! What a great assortment! The seeds came today & I'm so thriled at the variety. Thanks to you for a lot of hard work & everyone who traded such interesting stuff. Now to inventory & reserch my new friends! Thanks to all & happy gardening!
    ...See More
  • sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

mmm... coffee sounds MIGHTY good right now....

*off to make some!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"sipping tea"...looks like you have a good list so far, Dan.

• carroteggs
    15 years ago

Just made a cup, and added a piece of chocolate...mm, not bad!
    Great job so far Dan with the seed swap! I'll hopefully be sending some blue seeds out this week. I don't have a lot though, my main colors are yellow, green, and purple ;). I'll see if I can get a hold of some blue squash. Those do look interesting.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

...making another pot of peanut butter flavored coffee so it'll be ready when I come in from planting in the rain...

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Caroteggs, with that color combo, you wouldn't be a fan of Mardi Gras / New Orleans would you?

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Dan - I think I overspoke... I am going to have to back out only because I think I may have overextended myself this month. I am sorry and really wanted to participate but think I better sit this one out. Hope everyone has a great swap.

Tammy:-)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tammy, I understand. I just sent you an e-mail. Keep dropping in if you get the chance.

-Dan

p.s. Linda, you're the best bush beater when it comes to looking for more people to join, want to put your stick to some good use?

• margarita10
    15 years ago

Hi Dan,

Blue is my favorite color this is a great opportunity to start my blue corner.

Sign me up

Thanks

Margarita10

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Margarita, you're in! I sent you an e-mail, requesting some info from you. -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Please, when you send your seeds, do not use staples for anything such as sealing the seed packets, or attaching them to a card or sheet of paper when mailing. Please use tape instead.
    Anna sent me an e-mail today, saying she's having some difficulties with staples (no mention of who used them. don't know, don't want to know) and that I should ask you all to not use them when you send in the blue seeds.
    Hopefully, we'll get the bugs worked out of everything within the first few swaps.

Hope you all are having a wonderful evening...
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"getting out my beating stick"..okay I'll see what I can do!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I sent out some emails and beat a few bushes..we'll see who turns up..."making tea and baking more brownies"

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Dan - I just found Black Pussy Willows. I have been wanting them for a while and bought a bundle of about 20 (they were not rooted but she said they root VERY easily). I thought you might want one for your halloween garden. I think they are beautiful. Just let me know if you would like a couple to root and I will mail them out for you.

Tammy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tammy, I just sent you an e-mail about those willows. I've looked them up on the 'net, and they look fantastic! Thanks for thinking of me!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

bumpty blue bump bump!

• torig_84
    14 years ago

hey dan,
    can i join in this?? thanks torig

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

torig, you sure can!

so, that means our list now looks like
    bonechickchris
    Carroteggs
    cybermeowz
    dem_pa
    dan_the_mailman (host)
    ejmoore510
    Frenchfrylegs
    ilovefarac
    lindaruzicka
    sassybutterfly_2008
    susantexoma
    Margarita10
    torig_84, from whom I need an e-mail with name, address, garden web name, and e-mail address in it

and Tammy/greenthumbgrow as our official lurker!

hope everyone is having a great weekend! I'll be mailing out my address to everyone a week from today...be ready! LOL

-Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anna's got the purple seeds going into the mail tomorrow, so I'm going to go ahead and e-mail everyone with my address so they can get the blue seeds sent out. Anyone can still sign-up for this swap as long as they remember the deadline to get their seeds to me is May 15th. On the 16th, I'm going to start sorting through the seeds I have here and get them ready to send out to everyone participating. So, be looking for an e-mail from me. Please let me know if you don't receive it today. Thanks!
    -Dan

• paradisa
    14 years ago

Hi! I looked and have some 'blue' seeds to share, so I'd like to join in.
    I'd like to request flowers.
    Sending you an email Dan.
    Thanks,
    Lorraine

• susantexoma
    14 years ago

My seeds are on their way -- I mailed them off this afternoon.

Susan

• carroteggs
    14 years ago

My seeds are going in the mail today.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

...waiting on the seeds to arrive from everyone...

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

by the way, dan, I want some of those seeds in your pic at the beginning..."G"

• paradisa
    14 years ago

Hi All!

Excited today - found some sprouts in a couple of my WS jugs (hopefully they are not weeds!)

Dan - My blue seeds are going out today.

Lorraine

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

YAH Lorraine! Isn't that exciting?..

Dan, I have my seeds ready to go in MOnday's mail!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Dangit..I knew I shoulda checked the thread first... I packed a few more than 10 packs.. I have too many blue seeeeeds! Well keep what you want Mr. Dan! :P I don't need 'em back. lol Package is in the mail!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

Dan, my seeds went out to you yesterday.

Joan

• margarita10
    14 years ago

Dan,

Sent my seeds yesterday.

Margarita10

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seeds are coming from all directions now! LOL! That's just awesome! I'm sorry I haven't been here much lately. I've been helping Bump, my cat, host his first swap over in the MNF group. I'm not sure, but I think that's a first for the Garden Web! This weekend I'll be back, and make out a list of who I've received seeds from.

Anna, I received your postage the day after getting your seeds. Just wanted to let you know...lol!

REMINDER::: For those of you who have yet to send your seeds, postal rates go up on May 11th, which is this coming Monday. If you want to save a few cents, mail your seeds out by Saturday evening, okay?

Everyone take care! I'm headed back into the garden. Dig, plant, dig, plant, dig, plant, water...

-Dan

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Hey Dan.. I cleaned house earlier this week (thus can't find anything)... LOL So when I mailed the envy I sent an regular envy too w/ my return address on it instead of a mailing label cuz those are still MIA.. If you don't mind just taping it on the front of the bubble envy in lieu of a label please? Thanks!! :)

Hugs,
    Wendy

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Dan,
    Just letting you know that my seeds were mailed today.

Penny

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey and Good Morning Everyone! The deadline for getting your seeds here is fast approaching, so if you haven't sent them out yet, please do so in the next couple of day. My plan is to sort/re-distribute the seeds on the 17th, and mail out the seeds to everyone on the 18th, which is a week from today. Any seeds arriving on the 18th or afterwards will be returned to the sender.
    Now, here's a list of who I've received seeds from, as of this past Saturday...
    Dan (myself)
    Anna
    Tammy
    Linda
    Don
    Sue
    Lorraine
    Joan
    Christy
    Wendy
    That's pretty good! I'll do another update on Wednesday.
    Hope you all have a great week!
    -Dan

• frenchfrylegs1
    14 years ago

I am on the slow road this week and last been sick and hospitalized.... Sorry be sending today I know late..it has ben a bad month will be sending today and hope to get them there by tuesday..if that is to late just send them back I will understand.
    Polly

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Polly, if you sent them today, the seeds should get here in time for you to participate. Here's an updated list of who I've received seeds from...
    Dan (myself)
    Anna
    Tammy
    Linda
    Don
    Sue
    Lorraine
    Joan
    Christy
    Wendy
    Penny
    Margarita

Who else has seeds in the mail?

-Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, it looks like Polly's seeds are all we're waiting on, so I'm going to wait until her seeds get here, then I'll do the "sorting of the seeds" that night.

Everyone have a great weekend!
    -Dan

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

Hey Guys!

Just giving you all a heads up! I will be posting the June Black Swap probably by tonight or tomorrow! So keep a look-out!

Christy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

just an fyi. the last of the seeds have arrived, so tomorrow I will be sorting the seeds out while it rains on my day off, and will be mailing them out on Wednesday at the latest

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GUESS WHAT!?!?! The seeds are sorted, the envelopes are sealed, and I'll be mailing them all out today at noon! There were some surprises waiting for me when I opened them all up this morning, and that was cool! For those of you who had requests, I was able to full most of them. If there was extra postage, the stamps are in your envelope.
    I'd also like to take a moment and thank those of you who sent something for the host. You didn't have to do that, but it's greatly appreciated!
    When you receive your envelopes, please post the contents here on this thread.
    Thanks Everyone! It's been fun being your host for the Blue Seed Swap!
    -Dan

• carroteggs
    14 years ago

Yeah! I'm so excited! I can hardly wait! :)

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"doing the seed dance"....

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I got my seeeedsss! I got my seeeedsss!..."doing I got my seeds dance"....

Nice selection Dan! Thanks for the swap!

• susantexoma
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today, YAY!! And so many great ones!

Here's what I got:
    Morning Glory Heavenly Blue
    Salvia Henry Duelberg (oh, cool!)
    Blue Vitex
    Alyssum Wonderland Blue
    Cichorium Intybus (Chicory)
    Blue Boy Bachelor Buttons
    Campanula Carpatica Blue
    Wishbone Flower/Torenia dark/light blue
    Blue Columbine (yay!)
    PLUS a nice card from Dan (love that blue seed graphic!)

Thank you so much, everybody, especially Dan for being such an exemplary swap host -- what a great swap!

Susan

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today from the Blue Swap. Thanks for a great selection. Thanks to Dan for being a great host.

Don (dem_pa)

• carroteggs
    14 years ago

Hey Dan,
    Got my seeds today!
    I got:
    Cupids Dart
    Lilliput Blue Moon Aster
    Blue Lake Pole beans
    Geranium-Orchid blue
    Blue Spice Basil

Yeah! I love the seeds I got! Especially the basil and beans...I'm sure I can find room for the pole beans, I have plenty of spaces for flowers too!
    Thanks Dan for hosting this month, it was fun! :)

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

I got my seeds today also! Great selection.

Here's what I got:
    VEGGIES. . . Hopi blue corn, Adapazari squash, Blue Dynasty cabbage, blue curled kale, blue radishes

FLOWERS. . . Blue Convulvulus, Texas Bluebonnets, Blue Silk Morning Glories, Forget-Me-Not Firmament, Lobelia

Thanks everyone! And a special thanks to Dan for hosting a great swap!

Penny

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

I got my seeds. Thanks to all. Thanks again Dan.

Joan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm glad to hear you're all getting your seeds and enjoying them. Now, get out there and plant the little things! lol

• margarita10
    14 years ago

Hi Dan,

I am very late in sending my thank you's but I have been handling some family stuff.

I received some great seeds but I can't remember all the names (I'm at work)Bush Blue Lake Beans, Texas Blue Star.

Thank you for allowing me to participate in this fun trade.

Margarita10