SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sumilea2008

I have a few stupid newbee questions to ask...

sumilea2008
16 years ago

So I am just going to list them here.... :) (I apologize in advance for My English isn't very good so pardon any grammar or spelling mistakes) As i come up with more ridiculous questions ill just reply to this thread as i have many.

1) I am currently using Styrofoam cups to plant my seedlings till its time to pot up (and plan to pot up several times). However my question is... how long would the Tomato seedling roots take to completely outgrow the Styrofoam cup (Root ball till it runs out of space and nutrients)? The reason behind my question is, since tomato plants are a space loving plant when the plant reaches optimal use of space in the Styrofoam cup and gets potted up it, it may appreciate the extra space and grow vigorously maybe? Like for example... (The Economic stimulus package with the tax refunds, when people are broke and now having more money they will possibly spend more)

2) How much buried stem is required to make sure that your plants wont turn out Leggy?

3) Which is a better approach to potting up? Gradual addition of soil as the plants get bigger so the stem can grow roots gradually and utilize time better? or.... let the plant grow on its own let the root do its own thing for awhile before potting up (less work)? I figure the gradual addition of soil will promote more root growth as time goes on vs the latter.

Sorry everyone..... I know its dumb questions but figured bite the bullet and ask.

Sumilea

Comments (8)