SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Heirloom Apples and Chinquapins, oh my!

anntn6b
17 years ago

This is a happy story about our drive to Bristol on Saturday to buy some heirloom apple trees to fill in our orchard.

An elderly neighbor, now deceased, had told me stories about his boyhood just down the road from our house and his delight in fall of his Momma sending him to the back yard to pick one apple to make a pie. The cultivar was a Wolf River (he remembered it as Wolf Creek) and the cultivar is known and remembered for the huge apples it makes. So I went looking for this apple, proven by time to grow well here.

I found it at the Urban Homestead in downtown Bristol. And reading their website, I realized that this could be a good resource. And it is.

Apple scab is a problem because we have so many cedar trees, and the trees are the alternative host for scab- really hideous when they sporulate.

Urban Homestead has an impressive list of scab resistant apples so we are infilling the orchard with some of them.

And langniappe was finding chinquapins as good sized plants. Something else I've been looking for since we moved back up here.

I'm linking to his website which is good reading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Homestead

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living