SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

New: FOTESS May 2012 Swap - Snip and Share

sandlapper_rose
11 years ago

May Swap - FOTESS - Snip and Share

First of all, let me say that you need to be a member of FOTESS in order to participate in this swap. FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. We try to keep our swaps simple, try to make sure the postage for them is not too expensive, and we try to recycle and reuse and share seeds as much as we can. If you are not currently a member but are a reliable GardenWeb swapper, you can get in touch with me or Shirley and see if you are able to join in time for this swap.

Here are the rules if you sign up... and we hope you do!!!

1. Fill a small priority mail box (the size that you can send for about $5) with about 12 - 15 cuttings for the partner who will be assigned to you. You must pack them carefully and according to the instructions. You can send two cuttings from the same plant if you want to make sure that one roots; but no more than two of any one plant.

2. You must send your package with delivery confirmation. Because your box will contain plant material, please take your cuttings late in the day the day before you ship or the morning of the day you ship so the cuttings will stay as fresh as possible. Also, mail only towards the beginning of the week so the package will not sit somewhere over the weekend. I am going to try to match partners so the boxes will travel a short distance rather than all the way across the country, but that will depend on the location of those who participate.

3. Select plants that have a likely chance to root. I am going to give a crazy example here, but you would not cut just a daisy blossom off your plant and mail that to your partner or a cutting from a plant that just sprouted from seed a few days before. We want a stem part that normally contains leaves and has the strength to undergo the rooting process. Don't take so much off your "mother plant" that it won't survive the pruning!

Okay - back to being serious: There are many ways to propagate plants - from leaves, sections of roots, grafting, using misting systems, air layering, etc., but this tme we intend to use stem cuttings that will be rooted in a container of sterile sand or some other medium or in water - a simple way! Do not leave lots of foliage on the cutting. The plant will not be able to support lots of foliage as it tries to root and that foliage will take up lots of space in the box. It is fine to leave a few leaves. If this terminology is meaningful to you, try to make sure there are some nodes/nodules (or bumps or stubs) from leaves or offshoots that you have removed where it will be asked to develop roots. That makes the process more likely. I would not recommend that you scrape or scar the cut end before sending it. If the recipient decides to do that before trying to root the cutting, he or she can right before potting it up.

4. Before you wrap the cutting, if you have rooting hormone on hand, you can dip just the end of your cutting in water and then in the rooting hormone (dip lightly - we don't want a rooting hormone snow storm in the package.) The way to package your cutting is to wrap the bottom of each stem with a paper towel or newspaper that is just barely damp. You don't want it saturated. Wrap only the end. I feel like I should say that again in bold: wrap only the end! If you put the entire stem and foliage inside the wrapping, it will likely begin to rot or mold before it is received. I was in a swap where cuttings were totally wrapped in plastic and shipped in the summer (the entire thing was wrapped in plastic- stem, leaves, etc.) and the whole box had totally turned to mush by the time it reached me so we don't want that. You will likely find that you need to cushion the other end of the cutting (the foliage end) as you pack your box. If so, use something that "breathes" like shredded newspaper. Do not pad that part with plastic or something that will hold in too much moisture.

5. I know some members may think they really want to participate in this swap, but may not have 12 - 15 cuttings. If you don't have that many, you can make up the total by adding a bulb, corm, rhizone, seed potato, garlic start, strawberry runner, or some other type of plant material. Not seeds! This is intended to be a cutting swap so please make sure you have mostly cuttings included. (If you personally don't have enough maybe a friend or family member will let you take a few cuttings from some of their plants.) Another possibility is to add a well grown winter sowing plant or two to the package in order to reach your total. Send young plants but ones that are likely to make it; not one with just two tiny wispsy roots.

6. Label each plant cutting and if you have information about how best to prepare it for rooting, add that as a note.

7. If there are some things you would really like to receive (e.g. cuttings of herbs, cuttings to grow shrubbery, cuttings for house plants, roses, or whatever) you can list that when you sign up. Keep in mind, you may or may not receive it. Do not send things that are invasive. Make sure all cuttings are free from disease and pests. If you are sending something that is already rooted, rinse most of the soil from the roots and then package it like we listed for the cuttings.

Sorry for all the rules, but cuttings are wonderful if they are shipped carefully. Aren't we a thrifty bunch to try to share our plants in this way?)

Mail your package by May 15th.I am making this early so all boxes will be received before the Memorial Day Holiday; that holiday weekend would be a long time for cuttings to sit in the mail.

If you fear you will not be at home when the box arrives (maybe you are traveling early in May), just let us know when you sign up and you and the person who sends to you can work something out. All boxes, even the special arrangment ones, if we have any, need to be mailed by May 29th so we can wrap up this swap by early June and move on to the next one!

Things that typically do well - help me out by posting some ideas to the thread:

most herbs - rosemary, oregano, mint..., shrubs like forsythia, quince, many salvias, plants like brugmansia, many houseplants, most antique roses root well, confederate rose, Christmas or Thanksgiving cactus, ivy or geranium cuttings, dusty miller, impatiens, sedum, pussywillow or other willows, kiwi, blueberry cuttings, hardy mums, night blooming cereus, kerria japonica, angelwing begonias, St. John's Wort, pothos.

Coleus are very easy to root so if you have some in a greenhouse or that you overwintered indoors or if you just bought a large enough plant that you can spare some of it, those are fine to send!

Of course you may have some bulbs that multiplied and can be thinned or iris rhizomes or garlic starts or corms from glads. Do not wrap those or seed potatoes in a moist paper towel. Keep them dry for shipping.

Keep thinking of ideas! You can look for information on how to root your cuttings online, but let's share and post ideas about what you have good luck rooting and methods you have used with success (or maybe what to avoid!)

We will leave the rooting system up to the receiver. I usually dip the end in rooting hormone and place the cutting in semi-shade. You will need to keep it moist, but not soaking wet. With our weather here, I just water thoroughly every day or maybe a few times a day until roots develop. Some people "tent" the container in clear plastic to keep it moist and if that is how you are usually successful, that is fine. With our humidity, I don't usually need to do that. Some people put cuttings directly in the ground and cover them with a jar. Too hot here to do that, but it may work well where you are.

I hope after the swap you will come back to say how you rooted things and what was successful. We all want to learn more.

Shirley made the April Swap a hard act to follow! The poetry was so much fun and I defintely learned more about poetry. Good job, Shirley!

Jeanne

Comments (126)

• sjc48
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Depending on what I get, Jeanne, I want to try rooting in water. I remember doing some houseplants that way, years ago.
    I saw that pic of the baby bird in the jug, how amazing!

I have a question. I want to send some heuchera cuttings and have been reading about how to do it. All the sites I went to have a warning about patented plants. My plants were bought at a farmer's market and had no name, would it be alright to send these?

I think I'm done with planting other than the direct sowed seeds, which could happen tomorrow! Of course, everytime I think I'm done, I find something else that needs planted or potted up!

All of the plants for the plant sale are looking good. The sale isn't until June 2nd, but I didn't want to make the same mistake I did last year. I waited until 2-3 days before the sale and potted everything up, they looked like crap. Hopefully, this year the plants will have some growth and maybe even some blooms!

Off to bed!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Jeanne,

I received my prize...a deck of cards!

Thanks so much!

Annie

• Related Discussions

Snip & Share Swap

Q

Comments (1)
    Wow, Sorry everyone! I don't know how this happened. This was suppose to be a post under the Snip and Share FOTESS swap. PLEASE DISREGARD!!!!
    ...See More

UPDATE: june fotess snip & share swap (part 2)

Q

Comments (77)
    Sorry I haven't posted for awhile. I typed a long message and lost it because AOL kicks me off midstream so I gave up for awhile. Anyway, so glad you got your package and like it , Annie. The little gift inside is a belated birthday gift. I know I don't normally send one, but it was so close to your birthday. I have been so bad about not posting them as they come along. You will be getting a prize packet, too. All the prize packets are on their way and should arrive on Saturday. Everyone has recieved their swap package now, so the June swap is drawing to a close. Thanks for participating and posting to keep things interesting. Happy 4th of July to everyone. Yes, Annie, that package went much cheaper as a priority rather than a priority flat rate. So many rules with post office packages. It was good news to me and I'm so glad the package actually made it in time. Jeanne
    ...See More

New: Dec. FOTESS Season's Greetings Swap!

Q

Comments (126)
    Thank you so much Margo and Shirley for the cards :) I didn't sign up for this swap as I was too busy and didn't really pay attention to what was goin on around this time period and rarely even got on the computer...but it was a nice surprise to receive the cards :))thanks so much Shirley for the card with the magnet...the magnet went straight to my fridge!! ..thanks Margo for the card with the winnie pooh stickers (I'm a kid at heart and love Disney) and the echinacea paradoxa seeds! ...ladies you made my day when i got these in the mail and knew ya'll were thinking about me even tho I haven't been too active and talkative here...thanks so much for your friendship I so love this group!, Dianne
    ...See More

Fotess Swap: April Showers Bring May Flowers

Q

Comments (179)
    Amy, again, thanks for the great fun this month. You did a super job. I went from needing 8 words two days ago to needing only two for Bingo. With all the words that have been posted today, someone has to be lucky and have Bingo. It's been pretty warm here this past week but I am not complaining. It is hard for me to garden in the heat so I wait til after dinner and spend a couple hours a night outside completed needed tasks. Got the tomato and cucumber plants in today. I still need to weed and clean out so many gardens but I am keeping myself from getting overwhelmed by doing one project each night. So far, so good. We could use some rain so the weeding could be a little easier. Margo
    ...See More
  • elliesfun
    11 years ago

Happy Mother's Day tomorrow!

USPS says my box was delivered 2 days ago but it didn't get delivered again today. Wonder who they delivered it to. It's going to be in the 80's by Monday and I am worried about it. Monday am I will go down to the post office and talk to someone about it.

Our weather has been really unpredicable lately. I lost all my geraniums and marigolds that I planted out. Frost hit 4 times this week even though the past 2 nights I have covered. Even the lilies, columbines and bleeding hearts froze. I just can't believe those froze also. When I looked out the windows this morning, I thought maybe a deer had jumped the fence and knocked down alot of things, but it looks like they froze instead. Guess there isn't anything I can do about it. Now the temps are going to start to rise.

On a better note everyone have a wonderful day tomorrow whatever you are going to do.

Ellie

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Happy Mother's Day!
    I hope everyone has a great day!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy Mother's Day from here as well. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Ellie, that is so odd about your package being reported as delivered, but it's not there. I wonder if you can ask about it at your post office. Of course, since cuttings will not last a long time in shipment, we may need to see about getting another box sent to you. I'm sure someone in the group will "snip and share" if we need to take care of a missing box. Let us know what you hear when you contact the post office.

Annie, glad you received your prize - got a bit worried when I saw the street name needed to be corrected. I had it written the incorrect way.

Shirley, as for the heuchera (or other plants), you cannot vegetatively propagate plants that are patented. However, it sounds like you don't know what your heuchera plants are. They are supposed to have been sold with a warning on them if they are patented. Not all plants are patented so the ones you have may not have carried a patent. E-mail me if you have more questions about it.

Okay, I am going to enjoy a nice leisurely Mother's Day breakfast and then hope to get out to plant more of my winter sowing plants. We had a long day at the emergency vet with our dog yesterday - I had planned to do lots of work in the garden, but the pets come first even if the weather was really nice.

Enjoy the day!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stephanie,
    I totally meant earlier to ask you if your package from me arrived. It should have gotten there on Thursday or Friday. I pulled out the delivery confirmation number and it told me no information was available and maybe my post office could give me some information. Wow, we sure are having problems with delivery confirmation this month! Makes you wonder... I was a bit worried that I used the self-service machine instead of standing in line, but it has always worked before and odd the other things mailed the same way went through fine with no problem. Anyway, if your package has not arrived or arrives so late that the cuttings will not make it, I will send another box. I mailed Annie's prize and a mug rug for a swap at the same time as the cuttings and they went first class mail instead of priority and both of those were received, and Annie's package went from SC to CA. Crazy!

Meanwhile, my cuttings are looking pretty good. Looks like I have only lost one at this point and I can't remember which one it was. The pineapple sage arrived looking like it wouldn't make it, but I trimmed off most of the leaves and soaked everything so the ends were in water (they probably soaked for 15-40 min.) until I planted them in sand/potting mix and it is looking really good now.

Jeanne

• jaynine
    11 years ago

Michelle,
    If all goes well, I should have your cuttings in the mail tomorrow. I haven't forgotten about you!
    Janine

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

Hi Ellie!
    {{gwi:1264527}}
    I'm sorry this happened to you. I had fun snipping and cutting. I can sure try it again. The post office-can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Yikes!
    I had a short list of things you'd like. Is there anything else? Really, I'd rather send you things you'd really like. Email me through GW.
    I was excited when I checked on the internet and it said it was out for delivery. I breathed a sigh of relief, but oh well. That's one of those stories we'll ask God about in heaven. Maybe they arrived in the mail at some lady's house who loved plants, her kids ignored her on Mother's Day and she had something fun in the mail to brighten her day. (That's better than other alternatives I can think of.) I'll update my plant list on GW and you can see if there's anything you'dlike a cutting of!
    Heidi

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Suzanne! Your package is on it's way! DC# 03120090000052547336
    I am really hoping these cuttings arrive in good condition and that they do well for you!
    Wonder what's up with the Post Office?
    Have a great day, Everyone!
    Shirley!

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Shirley your box is now sent DC#03113260000217772794

I made a copy of the tracking for my box that was delivered on the 11th and took to the PO and the only thing they said was that it was probably mis-delivered and hopefully someone would put back in the mail so it could be delivered at my house. Good grief and we pay the PO money for their service.

The temps are now suppose to be in the 80's all week now that my yard froze last week when the temps dropped to 28 degrees one night. Today going to pull the marigolds and probably the geraniums (all 100 of them).

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Ellie

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Ellie, thanks for the heads up!
    I'm so sorry about your plants-that has to be heartbreaking. I have lots of WSed plants,
    would gladly send them your way.
    Email me and I'll let you know what I have.
    Shirley!

• jaynine
    11 years ago

Michelle,
    Your package is out in the mailbox; DC#9405 5036 9930 0010 5276 88. Hope you like everything!
    Janine

• jaynine
    11 years ago

My mail was delivered, but he left the outgoing package hanging there. Nice...

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    11 years ago

Jaynine,
    I sent your package out today, I hope they arrive OK. The conformation is:03110820000198371363

Suzanne

• fabraholic216
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I have my box for Alana filled, addressed, and ready to mail tomorrow morning. I will post the delivery conformation number tomorrow. I'm sorry I have not replied until now. My son has a sinus infection that has needed 2 different antibiotics to treat it. I hope you like the cuttings Alana. I was able to squeeze alot in there.
    Jeanne - your box was awesome! I have everything potted up. Pretty much everything looked good. The chocolate vine may or may not make it but I have my fingers crossed because that's a great plant! Jeanne sent much more than was called for and I am so greatful! I am also especially excited about the two roses. Yeah! Thanks Jeanne!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whew, wiping sweat from my brow. So glad that package made it to you, Stephanie. I was going to call the post office tomorrow to ask what it meant that the delivery confirmation number never showed up when I searched it. I think it must be that they never entered it in the system.
    Hope you have good luck with your cuttings, Stephanie, and I hope your son feels better soon. Sinus infections sure do hurt.

Lots of packages sent out and on their way! I'll update the list again soon.

I put my cuttings outside in the gentle rain that we had today, but now they are back in the garage in case it pours overnight. You should see the pineapple sage and hydrangeas - they are looking great. I was so tempted to dig and see if there were any roots. I told you I am bad about wanting to do that, but I promise, I won't do it. I'm sure I lost more cuttings from that temptation than from any other reason. LOL

Jeanne

• fabraholic216
    11 years ago

Alana's package is on it's way. I mailed it today. Delivery conformation number is: 03113260000090038871. I hope you like it!
    Stephanie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Time for an update on where we are with this swap:

Alana (KY) will send to Jeanne (SC) - received
    Jeanne (SC) will send to Stephanie (FL) - received
    Stephanie (FL) will send to Alana (KY) - mailed
    Michelle (MO) will send to Heidi (NE)- ?
    Heidi (NE) will send to Elllie (WA) - mailed but...?
    Ellie (WA) will send to Shirley (MI) - mailed
    Shirley (MI) will send to Suzanne (OH) - mailed
    Suzanne (OH) will send to Janine (CT) - mailed
    Janine (CT) will send to Michelle (MO) - ?

I will give this a little longer and then try to check on the swaps where we have question marks posted. The mailing deadline is not here yet, so thanks to so many who mailed early in the month. We have a lot of packages that are on their way or have been received.
    Here in SC, we have gotten more rain so my garden is happy right now. The daylilies are just beautiful!
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Ellie! I just got back from mailing your MNF package out and found the cuttings package from you, waiting for me!
    WOW!! You really outdid yourself! I don't think I'm going out to State Park tomorrow, will be working with all these cuttings instead!
    Ellie sent me cuttings of:
    Mockorange
    Lavender
    Agastache
    Garden Sage
    Fish Plant-a house plant
    Honeysuckle Shrub
    Ajuga Mahogany
    St.John's Wort
    VAnhoutte spirea
    Sedum Autumn Joy
    Sedum
    Lilac Kim
    Flowering Quince
    Uva-Ursi-Bearberry
    Rosemary, and a rooted lupin!
    These were very well packaged and that list includes at least 4 plants I really wanted!
    Ellie, thank you so much for your generosity. This was just great! I can hardly wait to see how these do!
    Shirley!

• jaynine
    11 years ago

Sorry! Michelle's package was picked up yesterday and is expected to be delivered tomorrow. Hope the cuttings arrive in decent shape.
    My package came today and I've got my cuttings soaking right now. Suzanne very generously sent white wisteria, star magnolia, banana cream daisy, red butterfly bush, wandering jew, many mums and something unmarked that I feel like I should know, but don't. Forsythia maybe? Thanks so much, Suzanne! I love them!

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Hey guess what...my box showed up today 6 days after USPS said they delivered it. The only plants that made it were the sedums and they were rooted. The rest were very mushy. Thank you Heidi for sending. I planted the sedums already in the rock wall AND I don't have these. So thank you so much.

Ellie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie,
    I will be happy to send a box of cuttings to you. I think that's only fair since I am the hostess. Heidi obviously sent and I don't feel like she should have to send again. None of us have control over the post office. I will try to get a package to you early next week and will post when I do.
    (Things like this don't give us much confidence in the post office, do they?)
    Jeanne

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Jeanne thats really nice of you but you should not have to replace either since it was the post office that messed up. After all there were 2 nice sedums that were rooted and survived. I am finding even through the seed exchanges seeds are lost with or without the DC# also.

It has finally cooled down so maybe today I can start to plant the big garden. Happy day everyone!

Ellie

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Thank you Stephanie, for a full boxful of cuttings.
    I did not have a single one of the 17 she sent. My favorite is Devil's Backbone which I have almost grown several times. The sterile Passiflora is another good one. Two different Croton's, two different Philodendron's, a Ficus pumila and several others round out the box.
    The Coleus cuttings did not travel as well as the other items in the box, but if they don't make it, there are plenty of others that should.
    Thank you again! I have to get busy.
    Alana

• sjc48
    11 years ago

I got all my cuttings potted up today. I mixed a little bit of sand with the same potting mix I used for WSing; Ellie had already dipped the roots in rooting hormone and all I did was moisten the cells after inserting the cuttings. I am rooting the fish plant in water.
    I really hope the Lilac Kim, the rosemary, the flowering quince and sedum Autumn Joy take root! I'm excited to see if this works for me. Don't quite know where I'm going to plant all of these, but I guess I'd better wait and see if they all survive!
    Have a great day tomorrow!
    Shirley!

11 years ago

Hi!
    Ellie, I'm glad the sedums made it and that they were ones you didn't have. I'm sure they are soaking up the cool weather, water and fresh air now that they're out of the box.
    Michelle, I received your package of cuttings today. Thank you so much. I don't have any of these. She sent:
    Purple Clematis
    Wigelia French lace
    Butterfly Bush both Miss Ruby and Dubonnet
    Vibernum Autumn Jaz
    Spearmint
    English Lavender
    Forsythia, New. of Gold
    Everything arrived in good shape. I will pot them up when I'm done here. This is a new ball game for me...cuttings. Every time I read cuttings I thought of scrapbooking! Tonight my daughter and I dug up a peony. An elderly lady lived in a tiny house surrounded by flowers for years. I knew her when I worked in the nursing home and she was a resident. She has passed away and her home has been torn down. Once things grow so tall someone comes in and mows it all off. I've been "saving" flowers from there for 3 years. I have 2 more peonies I plan to "save". Tonight I pulled out several handfuls of weeds to get to the peony roots and then discovered they were coneflowers--different than the variety I had. They came home with me, too. I like to think the lady is looking down on her flowers as I plant them in my garden and in gardens around town and that she smiles.
    Shirley-how many pansies? I believe that goes back to our previous category of "What Was I Thinking?" I keep thinking of you and wondering what you're doing with them all. I have too many volunteer marigolds, but not that many! I'm sure they're beautiful, though!
    Heidi

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Heidi, you're right, and I did keep thinking "what was I thinking!" I ordered the seeds in bulk, last October from Harris seeds, because, just once, just once, I wanted enough pansies to do the containers the way I really wanted to. And it worked.

The two long containers on the back porch are stuffed with Chiantis and Boleros; the long hanging bed on my raised bed is stuffed with Karma Midnight Suns, and 9 containers, 3 gift pots and the bottom layers of the raised beds are stuffed with red, blue, purple, yellow, white and orange Deltas.

Yes, it should be beautiful, but Lord, the work! I have to admit, about half way thro, I was thinking "Never again." They are my favorite flower, gee, did you guess, and they are really good WS seeds. I couldn't do single plants, they germinated too thickly, but I tried to only get 2-3 in a clump. That's what took so long.

And now that I have recovered somewhat, I am already checking Harris Seeds out, to see what kinds I can do next year! Maybe I'll plant them in cell packs, that might make it a little easier. And Heidi, I have to tell you that I have done the same thing with marigolds-I used to start them inside and then transplant each one out, the whole way across the front porch - big DUH, couldn't I just plant the seeds in the ground?

And yes, that little old lady IS smiling - good job, Heidi!

There are some really nice boxes of cuttings being sent out. Can't wait to hear how everyone does with them. Jeanne, this was a great idea!

Okay, switching back over to the NBA - Go Indy!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have had many days with rain lately and my gardening is looking so much better than usual. I love it!

Stephanie (FL) will send to Alana (KY) - received
    Michelle (MO) will send to Heidi (NE)- received
    Heidi (NE) will send to Elllie (WA) - received
    Ellie (WA) will send to Shirley (MI) - received
    Shirley (MI) will send to Suzanne (OH) - received
    Suzanne (OH) will send to Janine (CT) - received
    Janine (CT) will send to Michelle (MO) - mailed

Great job everyone! We are waiting to hear that Michelle received her box of cuttings and I insist that I send some to Ellie just so she can be part of the fun trying to see if our FOTESS cuttings will root. I am not going with delivery confirmaton on it though. I guess you'll excuse me since it's a replacement box and not the swap box. Two of us really had bad luck with delivery confirmation this month.
    So, soon the swap will be completed.

Heidi, it's great that you are able to rescue those plants.

Time for bed here so I'll "see" everyone tomorrow.

Jeanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hello
    I got my box will post what I got later.
    michelle

• sjc48
    11 years ago

I didn't see where Suzanne posted that she got her box.
    Am I missing something here?
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are so right, Shirley. Thanks for keeping me straight on this one! I must have checked the wrong column when I noted that she sent. Sounds like your package will be there soon, Suzanne.

Glad your pacakge arrived, Michelle.

Will update the list towards the end of the day.

Jeanne

11 years ago

Cute Flower Moment of the Day

Today is the last day of school and I was leaving the elementary when the morning bell rang. A boy, about 4th grade, opened the door and peaked in. He didn't care he was late. He scanned the area to see if any of his friends were around...nope, just this mother person (me). He slid into the building sideways and at the end of his furthest arm was a potted geranium. He held it as low as he could near his side. He was mortified. I so wanted to say, "Ohhhh! What a beautiful plant! Your teacher will love it!" I stopped myself, nodded to the young man once, and moved on. Poor guy...just behind him came his sister skipping through the door with another potted geranium. She was pleased as punch to be taking it to her teacher. He just wanted to melt into the tile floor!

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    11 years ago

Sorry for the late posting. I received Shirleys package on wednesday, potted them up and headed for the camper where I am now. In her package was Clematis, Russian Sage, Black Willow, Black Elderberry, Butterfly Bush,two kinds of heuchera and one or two others that I can't think of now. Was very pleased with her package and can't wait to see them root. Thank you Shirly for such a nice package with everything so well packaged!

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hello
    heidi sent me

bee balm jacobe cline
    coreopsis
    mint:
    lemon
    cat
    orange
    curly
    ginger
    sedum angelina
    veronica
    salvia
    agastache summer glow
    red and spider web hen and chicks
    phlox jeana
    sunflower lemon queen
    hops (vine?)

thanks bunches I will get them potted up today

michelle

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone's package has arrived now although who know where one of them went on its travels!

Thanks for being so prompt with mailing.
    Ellie, you will get a surprise from me next week. All of the rain we got this week sure made things grow so finding places for cuttings should be no problem.

Stephanie (FL) will send to Alana (KY) - received
    Michelle (MO) will send to Heidi (NE)- received
    Heidi (NE) will send to Elllie (WA) - received
    Ellie (WA) will send to Shirley (MI) - received
    Shirley (MI) will send to Suzanne (OH) - received
    Suzanne (OH) will send to Janine (CT) - received
    Janine (CT) will send to Michelle (MO) - received

Shirley will have something great coming up for us in June so keep watching.

Jeanne

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Suzanne, I'm glad the cuttings got there and are all right, so far! Please remember the warning about the black willow!
    I'll be posting June's FOTESS swap right after Memorial Day. In the meantime, use the rest of May to come back on this swap and let us know how your cuttings are doing!
    Shirley!

• jaynine
    11 years ago

Michelle~I sent you the package...sorry I didn't include a note! Hops is a vine. I saw it on your want list and included it, even though it is very vigorous and can become a pest. Same with the Lemon Queen Sunflower. Catmint isn't really a mint, but it can be used medicinally. I just use it as an ornamental and love it. Hope you have good luck with everything.
    Janine

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Great cuttings everyone. I hope they all root! You gardeners are always generous.

I haven't had time to say hello between my 2 part time jobs and the gardening work here. Our edible garden is growing, but it's still too cold at night for the tomatoes & cucumbers to be in the ground. I put out zucchini transplants, but beans and squash need warmer soil temps yet.

What a surprise to have no rain other than a few sprinkles for over 2 weeks when our dry season doesn't usually arrive until after July 4th other than a 5 day stretch here & there!

It's kept me busy watering, setting timers, & hooking up the soakers and sprinkler hoses. Thankfully, we have a good supply of all of those and most were in place before the dry stretch. If we had to water like this all the time I wouldn't have such large gardens! My rain barrels and buckets emptied the first week. It's like another part time job remembering everything.

I went through some hardwood cuttings we did in January last night & tossed about 1/3 of them. Dogwood, elderberry, spirea, escallonia, and burning bush look like they may have rooted, but the others were dry sticks with no leaves. I topped off the pots with more leaf mold and will hope for the best when the rains come to get them in the ground soon. It might be too early for that and I'll have to pot them up to hand water all summer or maybe move them all to a garden area where I have a sprinkler hose and sink them in the ground. I have the cutest Japanese maple and rhododendron plants in 2 inch pots to pot up until large enough to duke it out in the gardens. Those babies make me smile every time I peek at their meek stems.

Hmmm... re thinking the way gardening goes with no rain so early in the season.

Good luck everyone on the cuttings~
    Corrine

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie,
    I have the cuttings boxed up and ready to mail tomorrow. It should be interesting to see how long it takes. This time it is just about all the way across the country. Let me know when your package arrives!
    I forgot to dip the ends in rooting hormone so they don't have any on them. Usually it washes off from the wet paper towel anyway, Just wanted to let you know.
    Good luck! Good luck! Good luck!
    Jeanne

11 years ago

Hi Michelle!
    You sent me cuttings (and what a beautiful card & the hand cream is being put to good use). However, I believe Janine sent cuttings to you. I don't want to take away Janine's thunder!
    Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How is everyone doing with their cuttings?

I started doing the "tug test" on mine (gentle tug and if you feel resistance, they likely have sent out some roots... or you can just wait for new growth to begin) and I have ginger mint which is really well rooted already and pineapple sage which is lightly rooted. I repotted both of those today. I think I will check on some of the others towards evening. I am pretty sure there is a hydrangea or two that rooted also. I told you how I get too eager to check for roots so I am trying to control myself! LOL

Jeanne

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Jeanne, I received the box today and have already potted up and put in the greenhouse. It is way too cold and windy for the outside. Oh thank you so very much which was way above and beyond. I'm excited and really hoping that they all root.

Excited how everyone else's cuttings are doing. Have a great day.

Ellie

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

So far all of mine but the Coleus look pretty good, but I won't be tugging on them just yet, lol.

• sjc48
    11 years ago

A couple of mine don't look very good, but both sedums, rosemary, lilac, flowering quince and the uva ursi responded to very gentle tugs! Nothing yet on the fish plant.
    In other news! My wild indigo is starting to bloom! And the Clematis are just beautiful! Everything is just a tad bit earlier this year, for some reason.
    Later,
    Shirley!

11 years ago

I listened to a great webinar on PLANTING NATIVES. If you plant a native tree it can support up to 45 different caterpillars vs. an alien tree that may only support 2 or 3. Fewer caterpillars=fewer birds and that spirals into endangerment.
    Activity: Draw an aerial map of your yard/property. Now draw where you walk. (Lawn is for walking on.) Consider filling in everything else with trees, shrubs and (on the edges in the sunlight) flowers. You create a 'habitat.' Put in a winding path thruogh your habitat in the backyard!
    Didn't realize how many plants have come from other continents. I always figured a plant was a plant-at least it wasn't concrete!
    Heidi

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on state for Native List

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the natives list, Heidi. I will be looking through it again and again.

Ellie, so glad that package made it to you in time for you to try to root some things. Crazy mail service... I matched people so the package wouldn't have to travel so far and the one that made it to you quickly was from across the country. Makes you wonder, but I am just glad it got there.

A few of my cuttings looked dead and got pulled out and tossed, but I am hopeful that many more will make it. Shurbs and things like that take longer to root than the soft stem plants. Our hot weather is upon us now though and the rain had stopped. It was nice when we had it. Now I am dragging my hoses and sprinklers around once again. Our daylilies are just fantastic this year. I really enjoy going out to see which ones are in bloom each day.

Jeanne

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Yea for daylily blooms and sunshine!

We've had enough daily soaking rains this past week that my rain buckets are 1/2 full. The hostas are loving it as are the hardy fuchsias showing growth daily. Lettuces and onions are thrilled with the moisture this week! The columbines and pansy blooms took a hit with the windy rainstorms, but at least there are buds.

I still have some totes of tomatoes & cucumbers in my car that I park in the sunshine for a mini-greenhouse effect. Plus I see them daily & don't forget about those little plants. Overnight lows of 46 with highs of 55 are too cold. I am impatiently waiting for warmer weather.

I see color in the buds on my earliest, a fragrant yellow, so I know more summer sunshine is coming...

Have a great long weekend everyone,
    Corrine

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday to Michelle!
    We hope you have a wonderful day.

Jeanne & FOTESS Friends

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday, Michelle! Hope you have a really great day!

Well, I lost 5 of the cuttings, but the ones I really wanted: lilac, both sedums, fish plant, ajuga, sage, rosemary, flowering quince, spirea, honeysuckle shrub and uva ursi are all rooting! Still waiting on the others.

I will be posting the June FOTESS swap on Tuesday, the 29th. This swap will really be different, and I Hope to see lots of our members participating!
    Later!
    Shirley!

11 years ago

Hey Corrine-
    I saw this the other day and your post reminded me...

A Wet May means Barns Full of Hay!

(Of course, I live in the alfalfa capital of the US.)
    Heidi