SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tastyratz

new gardener advice for tropicalesque nh growth?

tastyratz
13 years ago

I was hoping to get some input from others here, forgive my lon winded intro

I am looking to plant some rather exotic, unique, and unusual landscaping on my property from other areas. I live in nh zone 5a. My property is mostly dense clay alkaline soil with sub par drainage. I have alot of woods, and a long southfacing line of property at the edge of the woods. These are mostly deciduous trees with a sparse pine.

My current choices from a few hours of research would be :

moso bamboo (100 seeds ordered - for other side of property)

trachycarpus wagnerianus (3 seedlings ordered)

Musa basjoo banana (or is there a better choice? not yet ordered. likes water - could be candidate for my "pond"?)

yucca rostrata (maybe elata?)

some sort of giant elephant ear if it could hold up maybe?

Anything else coldhardy that would grow well in full shade woods behind these to compliment my little "mirage" looking corner of the property? (thinking cheap and easy seeds I can dispurse for that cause)

My choices are unusual and unique - something you just WONT see on other nh properties and will definitely get noticed from a distance. not really interested in shrubs or flowers.

I am not a gardener - this is all new. I am young and full of crazy ideas for my new house :-) But I am willing to work for it.

I prefer coldhardy without overwintering if posible but will do so on what requires it (like the waggies).

0 interest of transplanting between house and yard- once it leaves the pot it stays there. A little work to get things going is fine but thats too high maintenance.

I also have an interesting spin. My house has a sump pump that pumps water out back year round. This warm groundwater fills a trench outside that seems to replenish fast enough that it doesnt freeze. Last year in the snow I saw a small pond full of green plantlife doing EXTREMELY well. I am hoping I can take advantage of this for plants that might benefit from warmer moist soil year round.

thoughts on my situation? newcomer advice?

Comments (6)

Sponsored