SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

NEW: Adopt a Newbie: Plant Exchange

hazelnutbunny
16 years ago

With Spring in full force, we are seeing many new faces here on GW. Many new, plant-less and, when it comes to RR swaps, clueless faces. :O)

So I thought it would be nice to have an Adopt a Newbie swap...with a bit of a twist. We have many great seed swaps, but rarely do we see a plant swap. Many newbies might not have plants to trade..or if they do, they are "common" plants that most expierienced gardeners already have...and won't trade for. I ran into this ALOT as a newbie. :O)

It would also be great to welcome the new faces to Gw, with open arms...and plenty of advice on the swaps & exchanges.

I am limiting this to 10 Newbies & 10 Oldies. This will make it easier to keep up with.

Sign ups taken until we reach the limit, or May 1. Whichever comes first. All items must be shipped by May 31.

Here are the guidelines for the swap, broken down to the responsibilites for each group:

NEWBIES:

~Must be a member of GW for LESS THAN 2 months. No exceptions.

~Must send your "oldie" a Thank You card & a gift. The gift should be a gardening item: nice gloves, a new tool..etc. If your oldie has a theme garden, it can be something for that. You should discuss this with your assigned oldie, to see what would be appreciated & accepted. Please try to make it unique & something you, yourself, wouldn't mind getting. Remember the value of the plants & advice you are getting in return. :O)

~MUST send your item ASAP, deadline being May 15th. Your oldie WILL NOT send until she/he receives something from you.

OLDIES:

~Wait until you receive your gift from your Newbie to send.

~You will send out 5 plants to your "newbie". These can be from the newbies wish or wants list...or just something you enjoy yourself & think they will too. Again, you should discuss this with your newbie. Sometimes gardening space is a concern...so you'll want to make sure you don't send them something invasive if they have only a 20x10 ft lot. :O) (been there, OOPS!!)

~Also include a few hints on packaging & shipping plants, RR swaps, exchanges...anything that you have found helpful over the months & years. You might also include a few growing & gardening hints. Every gardener, new or old, appreciates these!! :O)

Okay, I believe that is it. I think this will be fun!

Let's welcome these newbies!!!

Melissa

~

Comments (67)