SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cleo1717

Vegetable Gardening in Fall/Winter?

cleo1717
18 years ago

I live in Knoxville. This past spring, we built several raised beds to use for vegetable gardening this year. I had a horrible time finding decent soil to fill them up with. A year ago, I bought some for my flower borders from a company IÂd heard raves about and it, to put it bluntly, sucked. So, I ended up filling the beds with 50% bagged topsoil and 50% bagged compost. I was hoping that this would work better. It hasnÂt. :-D ItÂs obvious that thereÂs some kind of deficiency in that mixture because almost all of my plants are yellow(and some have almost purple veins in the leaves). I added an organic fertilizer when I planted and IÂve been foliar-feeding them with a fish emulsion/kelp mix. TheyÂre doing better but itÂs obvious that my soil is horrible. IÂm composting up a storm so that I can replace a bunch of the soil with compost for next year. I also plan to get the soil tested. However, itÂs kind of depressing to see my plants just creeping along. I had visions of being smothered by my huge crop of heirloom tomatoes. ;-) My gardening bug has not been satisfied at all this summer. IÂve been reading some articles about year-round gardening. Eliot Coleman is one of the authors of some of those articles and I find his technique fascinating. IÂm interested in growing some crops for this fall and if possible, during the winter. Last year I over-wintered some Bright Lights swiss chard in my flower border, but IÂd like to be able to actually harvest greens during the winter. Can anyone give me advice on fall/winter vegetable gardening? IÂm thinking about putting hoops covered with plastic on two of my raised beds and I just got the Fall Territorial Garden Seed catalog. IÂve just never tried to do this before and I could use some advice.

Some crops IÂm thinking of trying:

Bright Lights Swiss Chard

Lettuce

Mache

Spinach

Kale

Purslane

Arugula

Radishes

Carrots

Tatsoi

Mustard