SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

new: fotess may swap - mother's day

sandlapper_rose
10 years ago

May FOTESS Swap - We will be celebrating Mother's Day!

You don't need to be a mother in order to participate, you only need to have had a mother or other special woman in your life who has served as a mother. Much of the idea for this month's swap came from Annie when she sent me an "Easter egg" that had memories of her mother and what her mother liked. She did this in another group's swap back in March. Thanks for your idea leading to this one, Annie!

Rules:

1. You must be a member of FOTESS in order to join in on the swap. If you are not currently a member and would like more information about joining, contact me or Shirley.

2. No Easter eggs for this one - that event has passed. We will use flowers, but not those picked from your garden! The flowers will be created by you. Each flower must come with garden seeds attached to it or inside it. (You will make these flowers from paper, seed catalogs, flower supplies, silk flowers, origami, or however you like. You will send 3 flowers each with different seeds in or attached to it.

3. Here's where Mother's Day comes in - thinking about your mother, what did she like that you could represent with the seeds that you send? I remember my mother liked red geraniums. Now it might be hard to get red geranium seeds (especially on short notice), but I could use seeds from any type of red flower and tell in my note about my mother liking red geraniums. Did mom have a favorite food? How about if she loved blueberry pancakes? Then maybe you could use something that blooms in blue or produces a blue fruit or vegetable. Be creative and it's the thought that counts!

4. To make it easier to explain your choices of seeds, you will be including a note - and that's where you tell about your mother (or other special woman) and which seeds you included and why.

Pretty simple, but that's what we're all about: 3 flowers, each created in your own manner. Use your creative touch to attach or fill them with seeds. Include your note with comments about your mother and why you included the seeds that you did as they relate to your mother.

Sign up by May 1. I will match partners the following day and please get your swap packages out within a day or two after that so maybe everyone can receive her package by Mother's Day. Use a padded envelope or a small box. With the contents being light weight if you use a small box, you should be able to send it first class mail - so not much expense. No delivery confirmation required.

Keep in mind that there's no need to know who you will send to when you begin to create your items, so once you sign up start thinking of how to create your seeded flowers.

Apart from the swap, we will play a game or two in May.

Whether you are in the swap or not, my idea for all the members is that we pretend someone will prepare a special meal or snack for us on Mother's Day and share at least one recipe for what you would like them to prepare for you. I think we all love new recipes. Post those here on the thread and maybe we can leave a hint at home and taste our favorites!.

Okay, I'm signing up for the swap. Who else?
Jeanne

Comments (71)

• jaynine
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry I didn't participate in the game. I had a very long and exhausting weekend!!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drum roll....
    and now for our swap partners!

Vina and Jayanne will send to each other.
    Heidi and Katie will send to each other.
    Jeanne will send to Annie.
    Annie will send to Janine.
    Janine will send to Jeanne.

I hope to get the swap for my partner packaged up and mailed tomorrow. We'll see how it goes and I'll post here when I mail it.

I totally understand that everyone is busy in May. It's like that at our house, too - Mother's Day, family birthday, anniversary, etc. Thanks for taking the time to swap, play games, or just drop in and say hello.

Jeanne

• Related Discussions

New: FOTESS - Jan. Swap: Upcycling into the New Year

Q

Comments (77)
    Great packages arriving here. I just finished three swaps and all received the hand crafted spoon markers and I have received many inquiries as to how they are made. The following is a site where I found some for you guys to see what I am talking about. I love how they added the little plant stamps so will have to find out how they did that. http://paperandplanes.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dsc07503.jpg I used new spoons I got on sale but have made some for myself from spoons I found at the Goodwill. My husband used a rubber mallet to flatten the spoon. I then purchased a steel stamping letter/number set. I just line these up on the spoon one letter at a time and bang them with a regular hammer about 25 times to assure they indent the spoon. We used a work table my husband has and placed a large garden border brick on that to bang on. When flattening the spoon, places an old towel over it so as not to scratch it up. http://stampingjewelrysupplies.com/images/letter_numbers/il_430xN.157647088.jpg These are very easy to stamp and I enjoy doing it. I plan to make many more for my gardens as these will last forever. Corinne, it is amazing to think what happened to that your beautiful gardens since the first pictures you posted. How powerful nature can be. Margo
    ...See More

Fotess Swap: April Showers Bring May Flowers

Q

Comments (179)
    Amy, again, thanks for the great fun this month. You did a super job. I went from needing 8 words two days ago to needing only two for Bingo. With all the words that have been posted today, someone has to be lucky and have Bingo. It's been pretty warm here this past week but I am not complaining. It is hard for me to garden in the heat so I wait til after dinner and spend a couple hours a night outside completed needed tasks. Got the tomato and cucumber plants in today. I still need to weed and clean out so many gardens but I am keeping myself from getting overwhelmed by doing one project each night. So far, so good. We could use some rain so the weeding could be a little easier. Margo
    ...See More

FOTESS Jan. 2019 “Snowed in Day” Swap

Q

Comments (1)
    DO NOT POST HERE. PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST. I posted, then it seemed to have Disappeared, so I re posted. Now it's showing up. Don't know what's up with that.
    ...See More

MAY FOTESS SWAP~~~IT WON'T COST YOU A PENNY"

Q

Comments (94)
    OHHHH!! Wow Yes! Package arrived today and I found a very cute green pillow that says "Plant Lady" I call myself that Crazy Plant Lady so the pillow is both appropriate and kind. Other prize is great pair of garden shears. Definately useful and appreciated. Many thanks. So, if a duplicate package arrives I don't need to just return it Kohls? Unopened packages still ship return for free, so far as I know
    ...See More
  • canyonwind
    10 years ago

Jeanne, I took my husband for a few dollors on the Kentucky Derby last Saturday. But I did not have any Derby Pie...need to look that one up.

When I make the following, I usually at least triple it and put in a bit more white pepper. So easy too!

CLASSIC CREAMED CORN AU GRATIN
    (from Summit House...a favorite restaurant)

1 lb. Frozen Kernel Corn
    12 oz. Whipping Cream
    1/2 t. salt
    2 T. sugar
    pinch white pepper
    1 1/2 T. Melted Butter
    1 1/2 T. Flour
    3 T. Parmesan Cheese

Combine corn, cream, salt, sugar and white pepper in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Make a roux from butter and flour, add to corn, mix well and remove from heat.
    Transfer corn mixture to casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and brown under broiler.
    Serves 4-6

Janine...need to get to work on my three flowers for you....SOON...LOL!

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Gooey Buns

1 can spam, diced
    3/4 c. cheese, cubed (Velveeta melts really well)
    Add 1/4 c. prepared mustard
    2 T. minced onion
    2 T. chopped sweet pickle (sweet pickle relish works)
    3 hard-boiled eggs, grated
    12 hamburger buns
    Mix together and put in bun. Wrap each in foil separately. Heat at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

This is for post-mother's day when you need something new, something quick and something they'll love.

We've got sprinkles of rain today. We're loving it. The farmers are frustrated. It's getting late to be planting, but it's so cold. If the ground temp doesn't warm up the seeds won't germinate. If they put off planting they run out of time at the end of the season. Most shoot for May 10 and that's coming up fast.

Thanks for letting me play!
    Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love trying new recipes so thanks for posting recipes for us, Heidi and Annie. I will try to get another one typed in after I take care of FOTESS business... which is... Annie, I mailed your Mother's Day Swap package today. it also has your prize for the mother-daughter match game. I hope you like what I sent. I had fun doing this.

Okay, can you tell I like pizza themed recipes? Here is another that is just as good as the first one I posted.

Banana Berry Brownie Pizza

Crust
    1 pkg. brownie mix (13 x 9" pan size)
    1/3 c. boiling water
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    1 egg

Topping
    1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
    1/4 c. sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 c. sliced fresh strawberries
    1-2 med. firm bananas, sliced
    1 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted

In a bowl, combine brownie mix, water, oil, and egg until well blended. Spread into a greased and floured 12" pizza pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min.

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla until combined. Spread over brownie crust. Bake 15 min. longer until topping is set. Cool on a wire rack.

Just before serving, arrange strawberries and bananas over topping. Drizzle the chocolate on top. Refrigerate leftovers.

Makes 10-12 servings

I'll try to post something that isn't sweet tomorrow or the next day. I do have some healthy recipes! ;-)

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Jeanne,

I have checked out Derby Pie and well...that sounds awfully good! I have been to many Kentucky Derby parties over the years...and have never had this that I can remember. Mint Juleps yes, but no Derby Pie! I think I will make it for the Preakness...LOL..unless I make it before.

Your Fruit Pizzas....interesting! I am having a party in a few weeks. This group would love these. I will not eat fruit but I am thinking I could do something else with nuts and chocolate on your crusts for me. These crusts sound very good!

And Jeanne, I love PIZZA!!!! Not the healthy kind.....do you have a recipe (inc crust) with sausage, pepperoni, sausage, peppers, anchovies, onion, garlic, cheese and all the other stuff ...no fruit? I am due for a major PIZZA pig out.

Janine, I have your flowers ready to go. I will mail today or tomorrow...will post after I send.

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

• kchd
    10 years ago

Heidi, your package is on its way! It should arrive by Saturday, according to USPS. Somehow, I got a DC # on this 1st class parcel for free. Don't know how that happened, but the DC # is 9574210133933128370065

I've had some interesting adventures with the P.O. this week... I brought some packages to mail for work, and had previously weighed and affixed stamps prior to going over there. Cost to mail was $9.75 according to USPS.com

When I brought my boxes to the clerk, their scales were overcharging and indicated cost to mail was $11.95! I brought my packages back to the office to double-check myself. I went back today with PROOF of the cost to mail those boxes from one zone to another, priority mail, as $9.75. The clerk and I compared notes, read the current published rates, and determined their scales have the wrong micro-chip in them and are over-charging! I wonder how many people are getting hosed because of that?! Unbelievable.

The Fruit Pizza and the Corn au Gratin recipes are currently tied for ones most appealing to me. YUM!

This weekend I made gumbo. Along with the requisite andouille, I also added duck and rabbit (both locally harvested). I like to call it Bugs Bunny & Daffy Duck Gumbo.

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Evening Everyone! :)

Sorry I missed the game :( Been having some crazies this week! And it's only Wed., hahaha.

Jayeanne, sent you an email. :) Please let me know if you don't receive. I don't know if I'm going to make the mommy's day deadline. But, hopefully that Monday...hoping...hoping...

Have a Super Mother's Day everyone!
    vina

ps. love the recipes!

• l1oness
    10 years ago

It's been a crazy couple of weeks, but here is one of my favorite recipes. I usually add one or two layers of lasagna noodles to hold it together a bit more. :)

Zucchini Lasagna

3 pounds large zucchini, scrubbed
    1 quart spaghetti sauce or thick tomato sauce
    1 cup bread crumbs
    1 pound ricotta cheese (more, if you like - the original recipe calls for 2 pounds)
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
    1 pound mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated

Slice zucchini into long slices. Cook in boiling water just until limp, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Combine ricotta, eggs, parsley, seasoning and half of the parmesan cheese and half of the bread crumbs in a bowl. Set aside.

In a 9x13 pan, spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with a quarter of the bread crumbs. Arrange layer of zucchini over this. Spoon half of the reserved ricotta mixture on top of the zucchini. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese. Arrange the rest of the zucchini over this, layer more tomato sauce and the rest of the bread crumbs and top with remaining ricotta mixture. Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour or until top is brown. Let stand 20 minutes before cutting.

http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2009/2/11/my-moms-zucchini-lasagna.html

My mom used to make this lasagna for us often. She's coming over on Sunday, but she has requested steak and asparagus, so that is what we are having.

Mandy

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Jeanne~your package is in the mailbox finally!
    I'm running a little late this morning, so will post a recipe when I have some time later. Have a good day everyone.

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Janine, your package went out yesterday. Happy Mothers Day...

Mandy, Zucchini Lasagna, now that sounds good. I have never made a meatless lagagna.

Katie, your PO adventure...pathetic!

Love the following...a little on the rich side....delicious! I am not one to follow recipes so I am always playing with this and that.

I sometimes will use small scallops versus the large. If possible, use fresh scallops. Funny, it always tasted better when my Mom made it.

Coquilles St-Jacques (Gratinéed Scallops)
    Serves 6

INGREDIENTS
    8 oz. button mushrooms, chopped fine
    6 tbsp. unsalted butter
    5 small shallots, minced
    3 tbsp. minced parsley
    1 tbsp. minced tarragon, (and 6 whole leaves for garnish)
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    ¾ cup dry vermouth
    1 bay leaf
    6 large fresh sea scallops
    2 tbsp. flour
    ½ cup heavy cream
    ��" cup grated Gruyère
    ½ tsp. fresh lemon juice

INSTRUCTIONS
    Heat mushrooms, 4 tbsp. butter, and ��" of the shallots in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat; cook until the mixture forms a loose paste, about 25 minutes. Stir parsley and minced tarragon into mushroom mixture; season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture among 6 cleaned scallop shells or shallow gratin dishes. Bring remaining shallots, vermouth, bay leaf, salt, and ¾ cup water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add scallops; cook until barely tender, about 2 minutes. Remove scallops; place each over mushrooms in shells. Continue boiling cooking liquid until reduced to ½ cup, about 10 minutes; strain. Heat broiler to high. Heat remaining butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add reduced cooking liquid and cream; cook until thickened, about 8 minutes. Add cheese, juice, salt, and pepper; divide the sauce over scallops. Broil until browned on top, about 3 minutes; garnish each with a tarragon leaf.

Enjoy your Thursday!

Annie

10 years ago

Katie,
    Yours is in the mail. My brain has been in 'cramp' mode for days. I knew Mother's Day was coming. It suddenly dawned on me today that I have to get things in the mail. I have grandmothers in other cities. What was I thinking? So I can hope it will get there by Saturday, but I'll probably be a day late. I had fun making yours, too!
    I have been working on my Garden of Hope-a city flowerbed on a busy corner. Three local women have died of cancer in the last few months and I knew them all. Another friend diedin Texas. I got some decorations and made tags with their names on them. I put them up today and have been planting more flowers there. The decorations are just for a short time--not forever. Just helps us, as a community, remember and appreciate. I'll try to post a link here. It's a FAcebook page.
    Heidi

https://www.facebook.com/heidi.revelo?ref=tn_tnmn#!/media/set/?set=a.10151583929271308.1073741826.576351307&type=1

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Oh my, yesterday I received "Mother's Day" beauty from Jeanne!!!!

First of all, Jeanne wrote a touching and lovely tribute to her MOM, whose name was Pearl. Jeanne chose three flower seeds that grew in their garden when she was growing up....Interesting as well, in that the three colors in the flowers chosen were red, white and blue... Pearl was a Patriotic woman, a young adult during World War II. During the war, Pearl grew a "Victory Garden" , which so many people planted in their home gardens during World War II.

The flowers Jeanne sent......

The color RED...Oriental Poppy "Brilliant Red"...Jeanne remembers red poppies in their garden. However, her Mom's favorite flower might have been the red geranium. Jeanne's Dad was Polish and Pearl learned to make various Polish foods. Poppy seeds are cherished by the Polish as a "delicious food item"..... In Polish culture, is the term, "a bushel of poppy seeds", which is symbolic in that it relates to a wealthy and and abundantly stocked home. And at Christmas, the custom of serving dishes with poppy seeds is to ensure an abundant harvest and auspicious year. Also, the red poppy honors fallen soldiers during WWI and WWII. These seeds were in a beautiful hand sewn drawstring bag with the seeds Zinnia "thoughts of friends" on the outside.

The color WHITE... Alyssum "Carpet of Snow"....Pearl was not crazy about snow but Family and Religion were big parts of her life. White reminds Jeanne of christenings and weddings as the bride and baby wear white. These seeds were inside a beautiful handmade sewn "seed packet" drawstring bag, The seed packet says Baby's Breath "innocence".....

And the color BLUE...Jeanne sent Forget-Me-Knot "Blue Bird" seeds. Pearl did not forget family and friends. Pearl through her life kept in touch with her best childhood friend and would keep in touch with cousins and neighbors after they had moved away. Blue Bird reminds Jeanne of her blue parakeet that she had when she was young. These seeds were in another beautiful hand made drawstring bag, of course, made by Jeanne.....the seed packet says Forget-Me-Knot "remember me".

I am not doing these drawstring bags justice. They are simply beautiful and so colorful. Did you photocopy these seed packets (which have a price on them of 15 cents ...LOL) on to material? I do not sew!

Jeanne, I so enjoyed reading about your Mom, your thoughts, the memories, the history on poppy seeds (very interesting).....and the polish pastry "Makowiec (Poppy Seed Rolls), which I have never heard of etc...etc...etc.....

A also received my prize from Jeanne. Oh my goodness, this is so beautiful....a towel with teapots and black eyed susans.....and yes...you made this too??? This is art!

Jeanne, thank you for sharing your lovely Mom, Pearl, with me. She died at such a young age, but she lives on in you!

THANKS SO MUCH!! Happy Mothers Day!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, I'm excited that you were so excited to receive the package from me. Thanks for the compliments. It was a nice way to remember my mother for Mother's Day. Annie got me curious as to whether I can easily find a picture of my mother working in the Victory Garden during World War II. If I can, I will post it. It was a "community Victory Garden" that the neighborhood tended together. Old concept that became new again, I guess.

Anyway, I said I would be back to post a recipe that is not dessert. (The desserts always seem to be my favorite!) This one is healthy and is one of my younger daughter's favorite things for me to cook. I haven't made it for awhile so I'll have to keep it in mind when I am trying to decide what to make for dinner.

Shepherd's Pie

1 lb. extra lean ground beef
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 cup sliced carrots
    1 can (14 1/2 oz.) beef broth
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 can (5.5 oz.) mixed vegetable juice
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
    2 cups mashed potatoes
    1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat ground beef in large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until browned and crumbly. Remove meat with slotted spoon. to colander to drain. Drain fat from skillet.
    2. Coat skillet with cooking spray and add onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook, stirring, until onion is softened, adding a little beef broth to prevent sticking.
    3. Add remaining broth. Boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.
    4. Add mushrooms and peas and cook 1 min. more.
    5. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    6. In small bowl add cornstarch into mixed vegetable juice to dissolve. Add to cooked vegetables. Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens. Add Worcestershire, rosemary, salt, pepper, and browned meat. Transfer to 2 qt. casserole.
    7. Place dollops of mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle the potatoes with Parmesan cheese.
    8. Bake 15 min. until potatoes are golden brown and filling is bubbly.

The temperatures are pretty good today so I have been outside trying to settle the last of my winter sowing plants into containers or the ground. I also transplanted some of last year's plants into bigger containers. Our roses are either starting to bloom or already full of blossoms so I should take some pictures. They don't like our hot summer weather so this is when I have to enjoy them. I think my variegated hydrangea bush that I moved to a bigger container came from a cutting that was a FOTESS swap - maybe early last year. That and a butterfly bush, I think, are the only ones that made it from those cuttings, but what great plants to succeed with! Hopefully we can try the cutting swap again sometime.

I'll be back to say "Happy Mother's Day" tomorrow, but if you'll be traveling or super busy all day - here's an early wish for a special day for you tomorrow.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found the picture of my mother in the Victory Garden! Some times I amaze myself with what I can find (or not find...)
    I am posting it now in case I have problems getting this to go through tomorrow.

I'll try to be back online tomorrow to see how everyone's day is going. I found this quote to add for Mother's Day and like that it is not limited to mothers... in addition to that, it mentions gardeners so how could it be better!

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. ~Marcel Proust

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I created this picture yesterday showing some of the roses blooming in my garden. It's saying "Happy Mother's Day to all the FOTESS Members!"
    Have a great day,
    Jeanne

• kchd
    10 years ago

Oh, I just love old photos like that, Jeanne. Thanks for sharing! It's such an awesome photo.

Today I am lucky to have my mom staying with me for the weekend so we were able to celebrate Mother's Day together.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day!

Here is one more game to finish out this month. It's a city name game. 15 cities are listed below with a space shown for each letter in the name of the city or town. I listed the name of the state. You will be guessing the city name.The cities or town are all "typical" girls' first names that you should be familiar with. The prize will be a vintage cookbook.

Once you have a guess on all 15, contact me with your answers by e-mail so I can announce the winner. You can guess multiple times. The first person with all 15 right will win.

I will fill in a new letter every day and if it seems to be taking too long, I will select more than 1 a day as the month moves along.The letter that I added for today is "D" - I know that wasn't a lot of help, but maybe tomorrow's letter will appear more frequently.

Good luck!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ South Carolina
    _ d _ _ Kansas
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Louisiana
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ North Carolina
    _ _ _ _ _ _ New York
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ West Virginia
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Ohio
    _ _ _ _ _ Texas
    _ _ _ _ Nevada
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Montana
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Michigan
    _ _ _ _ _ _ d _ _ _ Minnesota
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Delaware
    _ _ _ New Hampshire
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Connecticut

As for the swap, Annie received from me and I will keep posting as packages arrive.

Jeanne

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Forgive me for not posting sooner: my seeds from Annie came on Friday. She sent enough to fill a vegetable garden(!) attached to the most adorable homemade flowers. My favorite part of the package, though, was the note describing Annie's mom, Rosemary. The smile never left my face as I read about how wonderful she was...I'm quite sure I would have liked her very much.
    Thank you, Annie, for making my day a better one.
    Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My swap package arrived from Janine today! Janine, the flowers you made are great. So much so, that I took a picture. Excuse the way I have them posed and the white one (which looks to me like a daffodil, my favorite) doesn't show up as well as it should. My husband liked the purple one best, and who can resist the pattern with the polka dots. I think these two are iris and tulip. Am I right? The flowers are like origami and Janine did a great job making them.

Janine's mother's name was Leona May. That's such a pretty name and from all Janine said about her, I can tell she was a wonderful mother and is greatly missed. We are so lucky to have wonderful memories if our mother's are no longer with us. The seeds are Phlox 'Moody Blues', Zinnia 'Gumdrop Candy' and 'Chinese Forget-Me-Nots.' Blue was her mother's favorite color, she loved spiced gumdrops, and sadly developed Alzheimers near the end of her life. Wonderful seeds and they will be especially meaningful to me in my garden now that I know about your mother.

The note card Janine sent is interesting, too. It depicts a painting named "Blessing the Melon" - very different and appropriate for gardening! The painting is located in the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

I forgot to say that any FOTESS member, signed up to swap this month or not can play the game I listed earlier today. Now to update us on our swap.

Vina and Jayanne will send to each other.
    Heidi and Katie will send to each other.
    Jeanne will send to Annie. (Annie has received.)
    Annie will send to Janine. (Janine has received.)
    Janine will send to Jeanne. (Jeanne has received.)

I'll be watching to update our list some more.
    The weather is outstanding here right now in SC. I'd better enjoy it before the heat rolls in!

Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Tue, May 14, 13 at 0:32

10 years ago

Katie,
    I received your package today. The mailman came by and an hour later he drove by again and jumped out with your package! You are quite the origami-ist. Such pretty flowers made out of plant magazine pages.
    She sent me a beautiful card of the Platte River (which our town is about 1/2 mile from). I've never officially been to any Sandhill Crane migration events, but I've seen them and they are such interesting and beautiful creatures.
    Katie's mother and my mother have something in common: they love red flowers! She sent me Twinkle Phlox and Globe Phlox as well as Dracopis Amplexicaulis. I loved what she wrote, "Being annuals, that means almost instant flowers!"
    I am also going to post a picture of my tulips blooming on my wall. A couple of weeks ago we had snow and today it was 96 degrees! That's weather in Nebraska! lol Heidi

• kchd
    10 years ago

Hi Ladies! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. It was really sweet to have my mom here visiting for Mother's Day, especially since we lost her mother, my grandmother, in February. We all miss her so much.

I received my flowers from Heidi today, too! Heidi, I just love what you made. When you first posted about your cricut last year, I went and investigated and they looked like so much fun! I just love getting stuff from you that you make with it! Heidi sent 3 flowers that remind her of her mom and grandmother: dark red Scabiosa, cheery Sunflowers, and Datura.
    Heidi and I both share a lot between our moms and our grandmothers. Both of our mothers are/were teachers. Heidi, my mom taught reading to middle-school children for ~30 years before retiring. Teachers are such special people. And my grandmother was born in Kansas, too! Thanks so much for your note about your family women and the seeds!

BTW, last year, Shirley sent me a few white plains beardtongue. My very first bloom opened today! Yay!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting new pictures. I always love seeing the gardens and flowers! I'll update our swap list tomorrow, but I'm up and it's after midnight, so I am going to draw a letter to add to the clues for our game. The letter I'm adding is "N" - that should definitely help!

_ _ _ _ _ n _ _ , South Carolina
    _ d n _ , Kansas
    _ _ _ _ _ _ , Louisiana
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , North Carolina
    _ _ n _ _ _ , New York
    _ _ _ _ _ _ n , West Virginia
    _ _ _ _ n _ , Ohio
    _ _ _ _ _ , Texas
    _ _ _ n , Nevada
    _ _ _ _ _ _ , Montana
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Michigan
    _ _ _ _ _ n d _ _ _ , Minnesota
    _ _ _ _ _ _ , Delaware
    _ _ _ , New Hampshire
    _ _ _ _ _ n _ , Connecticut

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Lovely packages in honor of our MOMS!!

Working on the "girl" city/state game!!

Happy day!

Annie

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Evening Everyone!

Forgive me for not posting sooner, but, I mailed out Jayeanne's MOM on Saturday. I wasn't quite so creative with my flowers, lol, but I tried :)

I absolutely love the photo of the victory garden !! Jeanne, your mom's beautiful!!

I hope everyone had a super Mother's Day!
    Talk to you later.
    vina

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shirley has a heading here on the Round Robin board asking if one of our members wants to be the FOTESS hostess for June. Please let her know if you do. Otherwise, we will just have a "vacation month."

The letter that I drew for the name game is "R" --- here goes with plugging it in:

_ _ _ r _ n _ _ , South Carolina
    _ d n _ , Kansas
    _ _ _ _ _ _ , Louisiana
    _ _ _ r _ _ _ _ _ , North Carolina
    _ _ n _ _ _ , New York
    _ _ _ _ _ _ n , West Virginia
    _ _ _ _ n _ , Ohio
    _ _ _ _ _ , Texas
    _ _ _ n , Nevada
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Montana
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Michigan
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Delaware
    _ _ _ , New Hampshire

That "R" wasn't has much help as I expected. We'll see what turns up tomorrow!

As for the swap, here we go:

Vina and Jayanne will send to each other. (Vina has sent)
    Heidi and Katie will send to each other. (Both have received.)

I love hearing about the flowers people sent and how they relate to their mothers. Have a great day.

Jeanne

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Here's a recipe for one of my mom's favorites (mine, too):
    Lemon Sponge Pie
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 Tbsp melted butter (*1 Tbsp)
    3 eggs, separated (*2)
    2 Tbsp flour, rounded (*2 Tbsp level)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups milk (*1 c)
    juice & grated rind of 1 lemon (can use 2 limes for lime sponge--I think I've made it with every kind of citrus)
    Cream together sugar, butter, egg yolks, flour and salt. Add lemon juice & rind and milk. Fold in beaten egg whites (stiff peaks) last. Pour into 9" unbaked pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. It's difficult, but it really should be completely cool before cutting to allow it to set. (* indicates measurements for 8" pie. bake 35-40 minutes)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Janine, That looks so good!

Vina has mailed to Jayanne so the swap is soon to be wrapped up. Keep playing the new game though!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The letter I drew today is "O" - filling them in!

_ _ o r _ n _ _ , South Carolina
    _ d n _ , Kansas
    _ _ _ _ _ _ , Louisiana
    _ _ _ r _ o _ _ _ , North Carolina
    _ _ n _ _ _ , New York
    _ _ _ _ _ o n , West Virginia
    _ _ _ _ n _ , Ohio
    _ _ _ _ _ , Texas
    _ _ _ n , Nevada
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Montana
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Michigan
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Delaware
    _ _ _ , New Hampshire

Have a great day!
    Jeanne

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

I apologize for not posting sooner, but, yes I did mail out Vina's MOM earlier in the week . I have tracking if needed. I have been under the weather with a stomach bug of some sort. Also for some reason I am not getting the updates sent to my email, any ideas? thanks for the help =)

Hope everyone had a beautiful Mother's Day!

10 years ago

Our moms did share a lot. Yes, teachers are very special. I love your bloom, too! So exciting to see things bloom.

This game is very addictive. Anyone else feeling 'drawn in'? I want more letters!

Heidi

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Still working on the game....

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you're feeling better, Jayeanne. I'm sure both you and Vina will post when your packages arrive.

Glad people are enjoying the game. Here's a bonus letter. I have a doctor's appointment in the morning so may not get on until later in the day

Bonus letter is "G" - bad news is it only falls in one name.

_ d n _ , Kansas
    _ _ _ _ _ _ , Louisiana
    _ _ _ r _ o _ _ _ , North Carolina
    G _ n _ _ _ , New York
    _ _ _ _ n _ , Ohio
    _ _ _ _ _ , Texas
    _ _ _ n , Nevada
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Montana
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Michigan
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Delaware
    _ _ _ , New Hampshire

I'll post another tomorrow.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The first letter I picked today was "J" which didn't add much to our list so I picked a second one which is "T" - filling them in below. That only filled in 3 spaces, but I'll be back with more tomorrow.

_ d n _ , Kansas
    _ _ _ _ _ _ , Louisiana
    _ _ _ r _ o t t _ , North Carolina
    G _ n _ _ _ , New York
    _ _ _ _ n _ , Ohio
    _ _ _ _ _ , Texas
    J _ _ n , Nevada
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Montana
    _ _ _ _ _ _ Michigan
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Delaware
    _ _ _ , New Hampshire
    _ _ t _ _ n _ , Connecticut

Good luck!
    It's my husband's birthday tomorrow so I need to start cake baking!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And today we have the letter "S"

_ d n _ , Kansas
    _ _ _ _ _ _ , Louisiana
    _ _ _ r _ o t t _ , North Carolina
    G _ n _ _ _ , New York
    _ _ _ _ s o n , West Virginia
    _ _ _ _ n _ , Ohio
    _ _ _ _ _ , Texas
    J _ _ n , Nevada
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Montana
    _ s _ _ _ _ Michigan
    _ _ _ r _ _ , Delaware
    _ _ _ , New Hampshire

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today we have the letter "L" which should be more helpful!

_ l o r _ n _ _ , South Carolina
    _ d n _ , Kansas
    _ _ _ l _ _ , Louisiana
    _ _ _ r l o t t _ , North Carolina
    G _ n _ _ _ , New York
    _ _ _ _ n _ , Ohio
    _ l _ _ _ , Texas
    J _ _ n , Nevada
    L _ _ r _ l , Montana
    _ s _ l _ _ Michigan
    _ l _ _ _ n d _ _ _ , Minnesota
    L_ _ r _ l , Delaware
    L _ _ , New Hampshire

I suspect you may have 1 or 2 figured out with the letter from today. Keep playing and have a great day! I'll think I'll draw two letters tomorrow to keep things moving along.

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

And I am still working on the game...LOL!

Beautiful day here in Southern California! Off to work outside!!

Happy Sunday!!

Annie

10 years ago

I think I have the game figured out except for 5. Of course, just when I think I know one...it doesn't fit. Helena Montana had the right number of spaces, but that didn't help!
    Heidi

Am giving away marshall's delight bee balm starts, solidago wand, pink morning glory if anyone needs any for postage.

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

My swap package arrived from Vina on Saturday 18th =) Vina, the flowers you made are beautiful! Thank you so much! Sorry in the delay of posting till now, I have been under the weather now with some kind of 'bite' thinking it was a spider. Its not looking good and plan to go to the Dr tomorrow for it. Really liked the selection of seeds you sent =) thank you so much!

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Heidi I would love any bee balm, solidago wand and pink mg's if you still have any, yes postage is fine. LMK. thanks!

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Ok, here goes, LOL My guesses for the game =)

F l o r e n ce , South Carolina
    E d n a , Kansas
    Kap l an , Louisiana
    Cha r l o t t e , North Carolina
    G en eva , New York
    Jack s o n , West Virginia
    Athen s , Ohio
    p l ano , Texas
    J ean , Nevada
    L aur e l , Montana
    As hl ey Michigan
    A l exan d ria , Minnesota
    Lau r e l , Delaware
    L ee , New Hampshire
    Be t han y , Connecticut

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Good morning!

My MOM from Jayeanne arrived this morning! LOL! All I can say is that your mom and I would get along swimingly :)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the packages that you picked!
    Beefsteak Tomatoes...perfect
    I LOVE orange flowers... Tithonia Sundance
    Sunflowers...I have a special Sunflower bed I grow every year!...AMAZING!!

I'm so glad to see mine arrived for you :)

This was such a super fun swap!! Jeanne, thank you so much for hosting!

Have a super day! Talk to you later!!
    vina

ps. Also, LOVE the mouse card...too cute!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many on your list are right, Jayeanne, but not all so we are still playing the game! I'm adding 2 letters today "C" and "Y."

_ l o r _ n c _ , South Carolina
    _ d n _ , Kansas
    _ _ _ l _ _ , Louisiana
    C _ _ r l o t t _ , North Carolina
    G _ n _ _ _ , New York
    C _ l _ n _ , Ohio
    _ l _ c _ , Texas
    J _ _ n , Nevada
    L _ _ r _ l , Montana
    _ s _ l _ y, Michigan
    _ l _ _ _ n d _ _ _ , Minnesota
    L_ _ r _ l , Delaware
    L _ _ , New Hampshire
    _ _ t _ _ n y , Connecticut

And so sorry to all, I forgot to include an "L" in the name for Ohio when I added the "L's". It's in there now.

Jayeanne, I hope you feel better soon and hopefully the doctor will think everything is healing fine. If it's a spider bite, those are scary!

For our swap:
    Vina and Jayanne will send to each other. (Jayeanne has received and has mailed to Vina.)
    Heidi and Katie will send to each other. (Both have received.)

Have a great day!
    Jeanne

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Trying this again, LOL

Edna , Kansas
    Violet , Louisiana
    G en eva , New York
    Madison , West Virginia
    Celina , Ohio
    Alice, Texas
    J ean , Nevada
    L aur e l , Montana
    As hl ey Michigan
    Lau r e l , Delaware
    L ee , New Hampshire
    Be t han y , Connecticut

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jayeanne,
    You are so close. Only one city name is wrong. Everyone can still guess. I pulled one more letter since otherwise it wll be late tomorrow before I can do it. The letter is "F" - only one "F" and it's the beginning to Florence.(Yes, I gave you that one!)
    Jeanne

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Ok, Here we go again! LOL **whew**

Edna , Kansas
    Amelia , Louisiana
    G en eva , New York
    Madison , West Virginia
    Celina , Ohio
    Alice, Texas
    J ean , Nevada
    L aur e l , Montana
    As hl ey Michigan
    Lau r e l , Delaware
    L ee , New Hampshire
    Be t han y , Connecticut

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry not to have been on here earlier today. I had an eye appointment and then couldn't see well enough to type. You know how that goes...
    Anyway, two good pieces of news:
    Our swap is complete! and
    Jayeanne, after all your hard work, you won!
    Congratulations!
    I'll get your prize mailed out this week.
    Everyone, thanks for participating in the swap and the games.
    Have a wonderful month of June and I think the plan is to take a month off. I'll check once again with Shirley.
    If so, watch for the July Swap!
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Finally, able to get on GW!

And there is a winner...Congratulations Jayeanne!!

Jeanne, thank you again for a wonderful month dedicated to our Mom's!

Happy Wednesday...

Annie

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Thank you Annie and thank you Jeanne!! That last one was tricky! LOL thanks for the fun game!

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone, just wanted to jump in and let all the FOTESSER's know that we WILL be taking a break for the month of June.
    Jeanne or I will be back in July to start swapping again, so be watching for it around the end of June!
    Have a great month off!
    Shirley!