SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rusten_gw

Topiary in Japanese Garden?

19 years ago

While developing a serene garden that adapts some of the best elements from many styles, I became interested in a form of topiary where full size trees (or possibly shrubs?) are trimmed to resemble Bonsai trees.

In other words: the unique look of a miniature Bonsai tree but in a full-grown specimen. These are often in Japanese-themed landscapes/gardens and other serene backdrops.

I assumed this was a form of topiary; however, IÂm looking for advice on whether it has itÂs own unique discipline/terminology. IÂm also wondering whether anyone has advice on the best plants to use for this purpose (IÂm in zone 10, South Florida). I had thought about using Ficus and trimming to this style; however, IÂm concerned about their evasive roots and whether it might look unnatural  also, I think there may exist a tree that grows more natively in this style, possibly not requiring as much sculpting by a person.

If anyone has any idea of the terminology for this technique, or where I could learn more, I thank you in advance. I apologize if this is a simple question; I searched the forum prior to posting and couldnÂt find an answer.

Thank you for any suggestions!

-Rusten

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!