SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mellen_gw

new: obf-flowers from the april showers

mellen
13 years ago

Okie Dokie ladies, here is the new thread for our May exchange. As you can see, it is called the "Flowers from the April Showers." Don't know about most of you, but we have been getting plenty of those April showers, and the flowers will really be popping for May---at least for us in the more northern section of the country.

This exchange will be ONLY for trading plants or bulbs. Please not extra "stuff" this time. Let's see if we can fill a medium flat rate box. Of course, all boxes are to be sent priority with a delivery confirmation number.

Sign ups will start today through Monday evening May 9. I will draw for partners on Tuesday the 10th. Boxes should be received by the last day of May.

The Our Bloomin' Friends(OBF) group is a group of like-minded gardeners who are willing to commit to at least a year of "membership." Only current members qualify, ALTHOUGH, if you would like to become an OBFer, you must commit to at least 5 months of the year, trade or have traded with at least 2 current members, and be willing to send your package first. If you think you can agree to the guidelines, we would love to have you.

Ready..set...GO!

Comments (76)

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Hope you're feeling better Maryellen.

It was cold and rainy here in NE Ohio today too. The weather has not been cooperating at all this spring. Hope it gets better soon.

Have a good night everyone.

Sue N.

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning, everyong. Sunny and 43 here this morning. Not sure if it frosted or not. It is chilly out! Headed to my parents today to do some things for them. Will check in later.

Remember to sign up between now and next Monday evening.
    ME

• Related Discussions

New: April seed shower will bring May Flowers

Q

Comments (150)
    This is more for new people joining. Important dates to remember: Sign-ups: March 1st Date for all pages to be updated -> March 1st ---Copies of everyones pages will be emailed to everyone shortly after that. All seeds must reach me in Ohio by March 31st. This is important so I can use some time off I have to get these turned around asap. conniesc rosepedal yotetrapper rane_grow lindaruzicka sassybutterfly_2008 chitownladyd kamiljablo nikkeneel sguanzon poisondartfrog jas_il dan_the_mailman thehills2 jaynine zinaray iabrtoo threeshyacres southerncharm1 gardenmom2 vic_zn5 grolikecrazy
    ...See More

new: obf - april- worship the green goddess

Q

Comments (85)
    Good Morning Goddesses!!!! Another beautiful summer day here in North Carolina! (we skipped spring) High 80s in the forcast for today! My TBIris are getting buds (many are already blooming in the area, but mine are right on schedule for this time of year! The spirea and lilac are blooming and the daffies are winding down! All of my veggies are up and waiting to be moved into the garden Life is good! Has anyone heard from Treasa, we haven't heard from her since she signed up! Theresa best wishes for your upcoming proceedure! I think we are all eager to learn how it goes! I will not be participating in the swap, unfortunately we have had a bit of a setback, it is going to leave us on a very tight budget for awhile. (it could have been much worse) Maybe a long while, I hopw you will all understand, it could be some time before I am able to swap again. But no worries, this swap is still on! I am going to e-mail Treasa and see if she is still participating. Any last minute participants will have until the end of the day to sign up and send me their goddess info! I will post the goddess info in a new thread and get the selection process underway tomorrow! Have a wonderful day everyone! We now have 10 Glorious Goddesses to make our Spring Gardens flourish! Jeanne April Laura Vina Treasa Annie Carol Remy Shirley Deborah 3 very deserving but busy Goddess sitting out: Melissa Frances Theresa 2 Lurking Goddesses! Dottie Hiedi Frances
    ...See More

new: obf april swap: made in the shade!

Q

Comments (150)
    Veeja, Tisha is so cute, I just love her! I know she's in good hands with you since everyone has left their pets for you to care for, or "adopt" shall we say? My sister has the same heart for animals you do, and she always has four or five dogs at a time, some transitory and some permanent. I remember how she used to always walk up to dogs as a child when we were walking to school. Some so large and ferocious looking, I thought she'd be eaten by them, lol. Being four years her elder, my mother always entrusted my younger sister to my care. Anyway, to make a long story short, all the animals loved her and she would pet and talk to them. Now we have such fond memories of those "good times" we had in our childhood and I affectionately call her "Dr. DoLittle" everytime she takes in another stray. Have a wonderful day everyone. Sue N.
    ...See More

UPDATE: ~~obf part 2~~ april showers bring may flowers

Q

Comments (125)
    Hi everyone, Happy Belated Birthday Mary Ellen. Hope it was a good one. I received a wonderful box from Treasa. Thank you so much!!!! I love everything in the box. Here is what I received. Gardening gloves, three different garden figures, a really nice garden book, several different dahlia tubers, tuberose and a flower shaped floating candle. I love all of it and can't wait to plant those tubers. I have always admired dahlia's but have never actually had any. Can't wait to read my new garden book as well. What a great box! It has been raining like crazy here today in Texas but we can sure use the rain. I bought a weed popper gardening tool that is supposed to get the weeds out down to the root so I think I will try it out this weekend while the ground is still wet and see how it works. Have a good weekend everyone. Dianne
    ...See More
  • canyonwind
    12 years ago

Passing this month....to much going on!

Jen/Bunny...if for some reason, you can not do your trade, I will do a quickie trade with you Jen.

Have fun!

Annie

• hdiperna
    12 years ago

Hi all
    I planted a lot of seeds on Saturday. I am trying to clean out my seed box. Sign me up for this swap. I can always make room for more plants :o)

Heidi

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I'm in for this month

I went shopping this weekend at Stark bros nursery, love this place, came back with a truck load of plants. peach trees, butterfly bushes, winter berry bush, columbines, 2 hugh million bell hanging baskets, blackberry tree, 2 summer sweet bushes, 2 peewee hydrangia, and some pond plants. spent sat afternoon planting them all. that was so much fun.

michelle

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, it must not have frosted last night as the few tulips and daffies are still upright.

I have been digging up a whole bunch of daylily noid's, separating them, and planting them along the fence of our 400 foot long driveway. I am planting them 10-12 inches apart and have planted about 3/4 of the way down the drive. All of the noid days came from a hybridizer from Marhshalltown--guy named Don Lovell. He does a lot of hybridizing. He was culling all of those that he had extras of or did not wany anymore, and a friend and I went to help him a couple of Saturdays in his gardens, and they were our payment. Once upon a time I had a list of what the crosses were, but I have lost that. Didn't matter to me much as I just wanted some pretty daylilies...and they are! If people don't mind, when I have some games this month, I would like to use them as the "prize."

Keep the sign-ups coming.
    ME

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Wow Michelle you had a busy weekend!

ME that's a great story about the daylilies. I think noid plants are great. Some of the best plants I've received have been noid's. I think they would be wonderful prizes!
    It would take me a month to plant 400 ft of daylilies, lol!

Sue N.

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welll, Sue, getting them all planted was not as bad as you might think...for me. More on that later. :)))

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

i love noid anything too! i pretty much love any plant that will survive here LOL i love your fence of daylilies idea ME-- i was thinking of doing something similar at the new house. how far away from the fenceline are you planting them? our fence is chainlink, and i'm just not sure how well they'll do once they start spreading under it. i only started planting daylilies last year, so i'm not really sure how quickly they grow.

michelle, you came home with quite the truckload! sounds wonderful!

i wish the rain would let up. my split rail fence garden is looking quite lush (i know i know, because of the rain) and i'd like to take some pics even though nothing is blooming yet. i cannot believe how much some plants grew this year! my astilbes tripled in size!

do any of you know what happens to an asiatic lily bulb if the growth breaks off? will it send out another stem? my stupid dogs were wrestling and rolled into some lilies despite the fence. of COURSE they broke the new one i bought last year. it had suck a nice palmy crown. i love how asiatic lilies look when they first begin to sprout-- so intricately and geometrically patterned.

hope everyone is getting in some garden time. i am going through gardening withdrawal LOL

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Rose-Unfortunately it will not grow back this year. It will be next year before you see it bloom. The stupid rabbits ate the tops out of about 20 of mine. Hanna (my dog) is laying down on the job. Of course there are so many rabbits she can't get rid of all of them I'm sure.

Michelle - I used to order from Stark Bros. nursery. I really liked the trees they sent. Never heard of a blackberry tree.

Mellen - Please sign me up for the swap.

Our neighbors are still doing clean-ups from the tornados. My Sister-In-Laws Parents lost their home on Lake Burton. So many people they have not found yet as well.

Hi Remy-So glad to see your post. My busy season has just started. I dug bearded irises for a lady this evening in the rain.

Jeanne-Those boys are precious. So good you and your DH can go and help out.

Shirley

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What a day! Drove to Ames to see my parents. Took my Dad shopping for different things so got to spend some daughter/Dad time. Anybody here ever make a grocery list then lose it by the time you get to the store? I have done that twice now lately. So aggravating...

Rose, I grow a lot of lilies-mainly Asiatics and Orientals-and sorry to say that you will not have a bloom this year. I have some newer ones this year that I have not seen grow. It's always fun to see how they turn out. I especially love the Orientals for their perfume.

Anyone else here a DWTS fan? I just started watching with the group prior to this one. Now I am hooked.

Shirley, glad you are with us this month. Now, Maryanne, where are you?

Tomorrow I am getting together for lunch with a couple of my close lady friends. We always have fun together.

Sleep well, all.
    ME

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Helle
    I watched DWTS for the first 2 seasons, but I just always felt bad for those cut. Same reasone I done watch american idol.

The blackberry tree should have been black cherry tree, bad typing.

My yard looks like a bed, bath, and beyond truck crashed in it, saposed to frost tonight so I emptied the linen closet to cover as much as possible.

Sorry to hear about the lillies, I had a bunch of lilies including some tree lillies but they don't seem to have survived the move, at least I can't find them. I stored plants in two places when we moved and can't find them at eather spot yet.

we have a very long driveway( about 500 ft) but there is a corn/soy bean field next to it and the farmer needs to drive on it when he plows/seeds/harvest so I can't plant there, but it will take a long time to fill the rest of the yard.

Well I'm gonna try to go back to sleep for a little wile.

Michelle

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Well, I was gonna take a month off...but this sounds like fun...and I can't say no to NOID daylilies either. :)

Sign me up please!
    vina

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Hi Vina- Yes I say what the heck lets have fun and join the swaps.

Frost warnings here tonight as well. I hope its not too bad.

Shirley

• earthlydelights
    12 years ago

hey everyone. mellen, please count me in.

hi everyone...hope you are all well. melinda, thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers.

shirley sorry to hear about your family. these storms anymore are worse and worse. so devastating.

jeanne, those babes are G O R G E O U S...God's blessing on all of you. I certainly can understand the need for help. heck, one is plenty of work (in a good way!)

I have lots of noids as well, so many tags gone. so if i'm matched up with anyone that doesn't mind receiving some, all the better. so many mismatched and lost and dog eaten tags...i used to fret over it, now i just bask in the glory and beauty of them!

my brother gets married on saturday, i'm doing his sweet table and much more, all without my car, don't get it back until next week, so life is a little hectic now. i am lucky enough to have a dear friend who has lent me her car, but i have only been using it to get back and forth to work, not much more. i don't want to start having to repair hers too!!!!!

i did about a 50' section in peonies, but 400' of daylilies...LOVELY.

rose, i hear ya about the lush. it's soooooo green, looks lovely even without a bloom.

i purchased a red bud tree last year. this year i thought it was dead and all of a sudden, it sprang to life. although, on a sad note, my japanese maples went to maple heaven.

does anyone grow pussy willow? is that something that is easier rooted? anyone want to share some?

that's it for now, be back soon.

stay safe, warm and dry everyone!!!!!

maryanne

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maryanne, sounds like you are a busy lady.

Pussy willows are incredibly easy to start. Just clip off a branch and stick it in the ground. That is how we started 2 of ours, and they both "took." They are still babies but grow a little bit more each year.

Will be heading out to lunch with a couple of girlfriends today. Yes, again. 2 different ladies this time.

I really wish the weather would straighten out. It has been so cool and windy. Lots of wind! When I get in from working outside, I feel like I have been beaten up.

Back later.
    ME

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

All the talk of NOIDS makes me feel right at home. Seems that after a few years almost all of my plants turn into NOIDS anyway. A rose by any other name is still as sweet.
    A box of just plants and bulbs sounds terrific. I like the "stuff" too but right now, the priority is to get plants growing and blooming in the new garden. So, OK please count me in on this swap.
    Hope everyone has a good day.

• uptreasa
    12 years ago

Hi, everyone!!

Count me in.

Sue N. should be getting her box in today's mail from the made in the shade swap. Sorry it was so late, Sue. I hope the plants I sent will please you.

Have a great day!

Treasa

• jlee160
    12 years ago

sue and bunny- trades going out today:)

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yea, Beth and Treasa! Hopefully Jen, too.

Had lunch with girlfriends, ran errands, then ended up going to the nursing home to see the mom's of same friends. Ended up helping them--2 friends--clean their mothers' rooms. It was fun! Then came home to clean up my own place. That just didn't have the same kick to it.

Sunshine/wind this morning....showers this afternoon...sunny again, no wind,and GORgeous!
    ME

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

We have been having beautiful weather this week and it is so welcome because soon it will be hot, hot, hot. I have been working in the garden as much as I can stand... yes, if you do too much, you are way too sore the next day - or at least I am.
    It sounds like everyone is staying really busy.
    Anyway, not a lot new here, I just wanted to send a happy note that the weather here definitely meets with my approval!
    I hope all the mothers have a Happy Mother's Day this weekend.
    Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

ME just catching up on reading some missed posts.
    We visited Marshalltown this summer. Spent July 4th at Holiday Lake and went shopping in Pella. Loved it there.
    So GREEN!!!!

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Maryanne-I have the black pussy willow so if you want some cuttings of it LMK. All the willows are so easy to root, and I also have a corkscrew willow if you want cuttings of it.

Mellen-Good for you...enjoying your retirement and having lunch with good friends. I'm a people person and love hanging out with friends and family.

I had my tomato plants all planted so the frost bit them somewhat. We covered them but it got down to 32 degrees. I guess we got in too big of a hurry planting them. I have been busy all afternoon digging for the farmers market tomorrow. Hope it is not to early to do well.

Shirley

• uptreasa
    12 years ago

Hi, everyone.
    What a sweet set of triplets, Jeanne!
    Shirley, that's what I need to do too, dig for farmer's market. Ours start May 21 and May 31 that we participate in. So much to do, so little time. LOL
    I will be working tomorrow. Happy Mother's Day to all the ladies!! I received a sweet card from my grandkids.

Treasa

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

I received my trade from jlee160. She sent me nicely packaged, healthy strawberry plants via priority mail with delivery confirmation. I will send my half of the trade out on Monday. Thanks for a great trade!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.

Sue N.

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had a long message typed out, and my computer whacked out on me. Growl...so this will be short.

Traders so far...
    Carol-veeja11
    Sue N.-suegardens2
    Em-hostarookie
    Sue G.-sguanzon
    Heidi-hdiperna
    Michelle-micyrey
    Shirley-brittneysgran
    Vina-flowergirl34
    Maryanne-earthlydelights
    Beth-bethbkodiak
    Treasa-uptreasa
    Jeanne-sandlapperrose
    Remy-remy
    Jen-jlee160-pending 2nd trade completion :)

VERY nice group, so far. IF I missed anyone or made a mistake, please let me know.
    Later, all,
    ME

• hdiperna
    12 years ago

Happy Mothers day to you all!!

Heidi

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I want to wish all of you mom's out there a very wonderful Mother's Day. Even if you are not a mom-which I wasn't until just a few years ago-I have no doubt that you are very important to someone.

FIRST GAME---How old was I when I became a Mom? The winner will have the choice of a NOID daylily or a named coral bell plant of my choice.

Happy Day everyone!
    ME

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    Well this is just a guess but....... how about 23.
    Michelle

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

ME, I am going to guess that you became a mom at the age of 35. That's the first number that popped in my head, so if it's really off please don't take offense, lol.

Sue N.

• hdiperna
    12 years ago

I am going to guess 32.

Heidi

• veeja11
    12 years ago

My guess 18 what is dwts ? divorced white tramp sisters ? don't watch it. dh and I have been killed by some kind of cold, coughing fits, sore throats, chills, fever general uckies, took a garden walk and found lots of baby plants to share. hugs to all my bloomin friends carol

• jlee160
    12 years ago

Not sure if I'm allowed to guess, but my guess is 40.

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I'm going to guess 37. Just a guess... I have no idea! LOL
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

Happy Mother's Day Everyone! I hope everyone's families were good to them today.

I'm going to guess 33.

Jeanne, Thanks for offering to be a late partner with me : )
    Remy

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Mellen-I will say 38.

Happy Mother's Day to all our Mothers

Shirley

• margaret_2007
    12 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies. Hope you each had a wonderful day. Would like to sign up this month but as others, I probably will be late in sending. Like others, much going on. If I'm in, let me know. Thanks & Blessings, Margaret

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Margaret...YEA! All of us who know you, KNOW that you would "make good" on a trade even if a bit later. You are in.

Sue N., LOLOL You could not hurt my feelings.

Vee, HAHAHAHAHA, I hadn't even "done it" at 18. And DWTS??? You are close on that one. Get better, friend.

Tomorrow.
    ME

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Morning!
    Hope everyone had an awesome Mother's Day!

Mellen, my guess is 28.

Have a great monday!
    vina

• earthlydelights
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone. Happy Morther's day a day late. hope everyone had a great day!!!!! i sure did. as a matter of fact, the weekend was fabulous!
    my brother's wedding was saturday and what a great day. such a beautiful service and a wonderful reception. relatives in from out of town, seeing people i haven't in a while. continued into sunday, so it was just lvoely. and my sweet table was 8 feet of sinfully delicious morsels. now it's back to reality and work! BLAAAAA

MaryEllen, my guess is 43.

So glad to see the excitement over NOIDS. I have them in abundance!!!!!!

shirley, i would love a piece. i don't see them growing so much anymore anywhere and they bring back such fabulous memories.

does anyone know if holly can be rooted the same way?

looking forward to partners and then digging in dirt. i've been trading so few and far apart and just knowing it's plants that are coming is just the BEST!!!!

have a great monday everyone!

happy blooms!!!!
    maryanne

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I will guess 25. :)

I hope everyone had a great mother's day! I spent the day helping wire the bathroom (yay!). But it's coming along...only tile, drywall, tub/toilet/sink installation, and painting left. Whew! :) Sorry I haven't been dropping in very often, it's just been so busy here! (I know ya'll can relate!)

I have been so worried about losing most of my plant tags, and now I pop on here to see y'all discussing the virtues of NOIDS! LoL! You sure know how to make a gal feel better! :D

Ok, gotta go back to the homeschool stuff. Got 5 of my kiddos learning this year, so it's even busier than usual! Can't wait for the other 2 to get old enough!

Have a great week, ladies!!
    Melissa

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning/afternoon,
    Maryanne, if you if pics of your sweet table, I'm sure we'd all love to see it so we can drool. Congrats to your brother on his marriage.

Melissa, you HAVE been busy, but you will appreciate it so much when you are done. I know that you are a homeschooler, and I admire you for that.

Some good guesses so far. I will announce the winner later tomorrow.

Does anyone mind if I postpone partners til tomorrow evening? The reason being I will be gone this evening and overnight to my parents. My mother is in a singing group, and they have their concert tonight. I am going and then will stay overnight. Won't be home til tomorrow afternoon. Any objections...feel free to state them here.

Need to get ready/packed to go. Have a beautiful day, all.
    ME

• hostarookie
    12 years ago

Hello all, hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather!

ME, my guess is 44.

Happy late Mother's Day to all!

Em

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I received my trade from Jen today! Everything looks great, and she sent it out quick!
    That's 2 trades completed for Jen, so I'd recommend her for the group, if y'all agree?

Melissa

• jlee160
    12 years ago

Thanks melissa- I received your trade today as well:) Thank you!

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WELCOME JEN!!! So happy to have you join OBF.

So here we are:
    Carol-veeja11
    Sue N.-suegardens2
    Em-hostarookie
    Sue G.-sguanzon
    Heidi-hdiperna
    Michelle-micyrey
    Shirley-brittneysgran
    Vina-flowergirl34
    Maryanne-earthlydelights
    Beth-bethbkodiak
    Treasa-uptreasa
    Jeanne-sandlapperrose
    Remy-remy
    Jen-jlee160

Rose, if you have not sent Jen an OBF questionnaire yet would you please do so? Are you getting many of them back? Did you get mine? I believe I sent it a day or two ago.

Melissa and Sue N., thank you so much for stepping up and trading with our new member.

Bye-bye,
    ME

• margaret_2007
    12 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies. Thanks for including me. I don't see my name on the list but I know ME will remember that I wanted to join if possible. Great weather here today, about 85 but lots of wind. I have so much outside to do but at least I have got started! Can't wait to see who I get to send to. Blessings, Margaret

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Remy-I don't mind receiving late from you either if Mellen decides to pair us up.

Jen - Yeah brand new member. We love new traders is this group. WELCOME

Treasa-Yes get ready for the Farmers Market and have lots of fun and make extra money. LOL

Maryanne-Congratulations to your Brother on his marriage. I will send the willows.

Shirley

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Welcome to the group, Jen. You will have lots of fun here.

Jeanne

• mellen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Let's let this thread close. I will start a new one with the list of partners and Mother's Day contest winner.
    ME