SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Growing tomatoes in hay bales

anney
14 years ago

Well, I reaped the generosity of a local hay farmer and brought home about 25 bales of spoiled hay yesterday and have had fun exploring the ways I can use it. In the past I've just used Ruth Stout's method of deep mulching, but that ain't the only way to skin a cat! [Watch the clip of her describing how she gardens with very little work at at least age 90 -- she was one amazing lady! And I loved her brother Rex Stout's mysteries back in the day...]

But on to something else... For those of you who have grown tomatoes in hay bales, I'm wondering about something. Several somethings, as a matter of fact...

Should you run your irrigation lines under or on top of the hay bales? If there's no water-splash onto the tomato plants, will diseases already in the soil beneath the hay infect your plants again, or will a deep hay mulch be a barrier that keeps them healthy?

No matter what I decide to do with these hay bales, it will be wonderful to not have to weed around my garden vegetables for a couple of years! Or at least not much!

Comments (9)