Here are the partners for may

Micyrey will swap with Smitties

Galium will swap with Sandlapper-Rose

Squanzon will swap with NCGardengirl

Candycow will swap with PrayerRock

Mommy102 will swap with Kalena67

Poisondartfrog will swap with Sred98

andrizzle will swap with Domehome

I hope you are all happy with your partners, I was (and still am)sick this weekend so I hope I didn't make any mistakes

Cracked Pot Gardner's is a Plant, Bulb, Seed, Cuttings, etc. and Gardening Supplies Swap. The Hostesses for this group are Michelle (micyrey) and Mariann (galium). We started this group to increase our plant collections and share with others. Plus the enjoyment of chatting with other gardeners.

We are taking sign-ups for our April swap until the 5th of April. This swap will consist of plants, bulbs, tubers, etc. and a small gardening supply gift. We will post partner's on April 6th.

We encourage new members to join us. However you must send your end of the swap first and follow the rules.

Please read the rules if they are not followed you will not be able to swap with us again. We know that sounds a bit harsh but we've have several member's who didn't follow through, with their end of the swap, last year.

RULES

~Email your address to the person sending to you.

~If you are new, to this group, you need to send your box first.

~All plants and bulbs must be sent priority mail with a confirmation #.

~Post to the group when you send, including the DC#.

~Post when you receive, we all enjoy hearing what you've received.

~Boxes must be sent no later than April 25 th. If you are new send early enough so that your partner can send to you by April 25th.

~If anyone has any questions or problems arise with sending on time please contact Michelle (micyrey) or myself Mariann (galium)

Comments (106)

• sred98
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's some eye-candy for you chicken lovers!

My little Polish baby:

My big girls and the guinea family:

Pillow and Spruce Goose the Chinese Geese:
    My Blue Andalusian pullet:

I took this with my new Mother's Day present! I've needed a camera desperately! YAY!

Happy Mother's day everyone!

Shelly

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

Shelly,
    What a homely little chick . . . a face only a mother could love, I love her!
    Well, I finally heard from Andrea today. She had been busy with finals etc. and I was beginning to worry because I hadn't heard from her. She received the trade I sent and will send out to me probably next week when she has a free minute. I doubt she is monitoring the posts or I would post to her.
    I worked out in the yard today from 9 to 6 and came in smelling of sage. Even had my husband out there helping me, it's nice to be making so much progress. Anyone interested in short yellow canna or crassula falcatta I have more than my share.
    Dee

• Related Discussions

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Pot Luck -Saturday, May 21, 2011

Q

Comments (123)
    Hi folks... I had a blast today at the swap. It was great fun to see so many long time friends and make some new gardening friends too. We had over 100 people and over 2000 plants for sharing. Awesome! At our first swap in 2001 there were 28 people... it's was so fun to see some of those same people at the swap today. Thanks to everyone for coming with such a kind and sharing heart - that's what it is all about. Everyone seemed to go home with lots of new plants. :-) Murray and I came home with some tomatoes, sedums, lillies, coneflowers and many more. Thanks so much. Of course, thanks to folks for bringing a wonderful array of tastey potluck food! I say this every year... gardeners sure can cook and bake. Thanks to folks that donated door prizes. We always get such a neat array of goodies to choose from One last thanks to everyone who came with a kind generosity of spirit. Good gardening to you all! Beverly
    ...See More

SW Michigan Plant Swap & Pot Luck - Sat. 21 May 2005

Q

Comments (2)
    just wanted to know if anyone can send me an address of where the plant trade is going to be held in byron center on may 21st . planning to do my best to be there , here is a few of my trades I will have with me & also what I'm looking for . trades will trade double plants for my want list ribbon Grass bishops weed yellow columbine lily of the valley white bearded Irises purple/yellow dragon blood sedum lime moss sedum creeping jenny sedum pink peony if possible yellow yarrow pink yarrow pink bee balm white bee balm red bee balm tansy strawberry plants LOOKING FOR columbines white , blues, pinks, purple bee balm purple rose of sharons hardy english primroses butterfly bushes white , red , pink yellow arkansas amsonia white liatis zebra grass looking for any type colorfull trees if anyone has anything on my want list & want to trade please let me know so I can be sure to bring extra to the swap :))) thank you sue
    ...See More

New Jersey Plant Swap/Garden Visit/Potluck-Sat. May 5, 2007

Q

Comments (0)
    The garden has done well over the winter with only minor leafburn, in spite of unusual weather patterns and 9 degrees for the low. Garden includes woodies, broadleaved evergreens, perennials, variegates, colocasias, palms, etc. There should be flowers on azaleas, late Camellias, some bulbs, etc. Schedule: Arrive 10 AM (unload in driveway and park across road), Potluck at 12 noon, plant swap at 1 PM. Interest and time permitting, there will be a side trip to visit nearby plantings of palms, perennials, and woodies on public property. Please Email me for directions.
    ...See More

NEW: 'You Pick Seed Swap' ~Cracked Pot Gardner's~-March

Q

Comments (48)
    OPPPS SUE SORRY I CALLED YOU SUSIE...hehe, soo many things going on around me at the moment, but I guess you COULD be a Susie if you wanted too :D LOL MARIANN, MARIANN, MARIANN....LIST, LIST, LIST, LIST....LOL OK waiting and watching to SNAG my LIST....LOL SOOOOO MANY GOOD ONES NOW I AM CONFUSED! I tell you IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH! :) Fran
    ...See More
  • poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Shelly, I love the little Polish chick! I also like the guineas. I have been tempted, but I only have a little over 3 acres and I understand they enjoy roaming. Is that enough space, I wonder?
    Maybe my box will come today!
    Alana

• sred98
    14 years ago

Alana, I bonded my guineas to the chickens. I had chickens about the same age, so they think they are chickens. They roost with them and don't go anywhere without them. I think, at least for me, that is the best way to do it. Mine really haven't been that noisy, either. They did freak out once over DH's diesel, but he had been gone a week. Also, the air conditioner scared them, but they were standing right next to it. I love them!

I checked your DC# and it was in Louisville on Sat. morning. I thought you would have gotten it that evening. Luckily, most of it is bulbs/tubers/rhizomes, so even if it sits in high heat for several days, everything should be fine.

The Polish is my fave! It's name is either Marilyn (Monroe) or Einstein. The hens have a bouffant style crest, and the roos have a wild spiky crest. The boys came up with the names...I love them!

Shelly

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

OK THIS IS MY SECOND ATTEMP TO POST THIS! I had it ALL typed out and did something and SOME HOW closed the stupid window! MAN!!!!!!

Shelly, I too love the little Polish chick! And that Andalusian pullet doesn't look real in that pic, I had to look twice to make sure it WAS real because it looks at first glance so much like those concrete statues LOL.
    That is a really good idea about the guineas, I will have to tell the SO that is what we need to try because I REALLY want to get some of them and have then STAY HOME!
    Maybe when we get our baby chicks we can get a few guineas and try it!

Monica, thanks so much for the offer to share, but let's wait a bit and see if we get partnered up anytime this summer if not then maybe we can arrange a trade before the summer is up!

Margo/Michelle one of you need to post a pic of that tool! If it is like the one I had I loved mine too and I lost IT! So I am curious to see if the one Margo loves so much is one like I had. I can not find another one like I had in stores here. I guess I am gonna have to locate one online.
    PICS PLEASE....Please share your tool with us, one of you. Will yah? lol.

Mariann I am so xsorry I missed telling you Happy Anniversary!
    I have been so busy this week it has been hard to keep track of everything.

I hope everyone had a Great Mother's Day. I got a call from my Navy son, I was so shocked and it made me feel good that he remembered! After I talked to him I was BUSY ALL DAY packing plants for the Wet My Feet Swap, it is due to be mailed out today. So I had to get everything dug, packed, tagged and bagged! WHO KNEW it would take 8 hours? I stopped long enough to fix us some BLT's which didn't take long because I had cooked the bacon the day before so it didn't take long to throw them together, so I might have been in for supper for 30 minutes, but I started on packing them at 12:00 and didn't get finished completely until 9:00!
    I am getting some nice plants in the swap though so it is worth it, I don't think anyone from this group joined did they? We ended up swapping land plants too!

We spent the end of the week and Saturday trying to get a pen up for the geese, he sold the chickens we had too because he got more gesse and they geese did not get along with the chickens. Since they didn't like either other he said he would just sell the chickens and we will order some from one of the hatcheries because we will know for sure what those chickes will be because we really were not sure that the ones we had were what they told us they really were, so we are gonna try to order some more so we will be guaranteed that we have what we THINK they are. Maybe I will me able to get one of the other ones I want too.

Well, guess I better jump off here and find something else I have to do...like sticking more seedlings in dirt ;)

Later everyone,
    :) Fran

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Wow! I got an incredible box from Shelly today! It was like a magician's hat. I kept pulling great things out of it like it had no bottom.
    A Tinkerbell calendar, very pretty.
    A book "Tropical Plants". I love this book! I had it at one point but when my book collection was stolen (long, ugly, story) I lost it. I was very happy to see it again as I start trying to rebuild a collection 30 years in the making.
    3 little windowsill pots, very cute.
    2 candy bars-I ate the Snickers while I unpacked the box. I needed the energy with all of those plants!
    Body lotion. Great stuff!
    Gardening gloves-never have enough.
    Frog stickers, I always love frog stickers.
    A nocturnal daylily, my first night blooming Hemerocalis.
    Candy Lily, Sangria-I am delighted to try this for the first time!
    Blackberry Lily
    Bearded Iris, Rose bicolor, name to be divulged now?
    Dwarf Golden Sweet Flag, already planted in the pond margin.
    Sisyrinchium bellum, already planted just outside the pond margin.
    Oriental Ginger, already potted up.
    Assorted Caladiums, already potted up.
    Rain Lillies, ditto.
    Assorted "elephant's ears" 5 of them! I love it!!
    Acidanthera, already planted
    And my favorite-African Mask Alocasia. She included a beautiful plant as well as some tiny bulbils!

I hope I did not leave anything out. Everything was wonderful! Thanks, Shelly, for a super box!!!!
    Alana

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

Alana,
    Our chickens are confined to a coup and a 10 x 10 enclosed yard most of the time as we have fox and bobcats that just love chicken for lunch. When we let them out they stay close for security. You can train them to stay close by keeping them confined in the coup/yard when they are young. Just get them in before dusk or they get up in the trees and you'll never get them down! Three acres is plenty of space!
    Dee (Domehome)

• sred98
    14 years ago

Alana-glad you liked the box! I had hoped you didn't already have the book, since I thought it would be something to your liking. Even better that it actually replaced the one you lost. I love the book, but thought it was time to pass it on. I did borrow a few ideas out of it, one last time! LOL!

The iris is Indian Chief. I don't know if the flower I sent made it to you in good shape, but I've posted a link to it. It is an old pass-along plant in my town. It is all over the older houses and downtown. I love it. Fitting that it came to you from Oklahoma, with the name Indian Chief, huh? ;)

I just gave you things I would be glad to get. I think we actually have similar tastes, so it was pretty easy once I quit trying to overthink it. I just chose some of my favorites. :D

I'm glad everything made it to you ok!

Shelly

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Chief Iris

• smitties
    14 years ago

Shelly, great pics. I am envious of all the members who have the chickens, geese, etc. I just have to keep bugging hubby about his promise to get some next year. They look like so much fun. I can't wait.

Fran, would love to post pics if I knew how. I haven't learned much on a computer other than posting and surfing. LOL The tool is basically a hand trowel and one side with hoe type spikes on the other. It is just a great weeding tool. I picked up another longer one last week with an extending handle and I love it as well.

I have to go out outside and get started now. I have the day off, the weather is great, and the weatherman said last night was our last threat of frost. Time to get the annuals in the ground although my perennials have come back with such a vengeance, there isn't much room for the annuals.

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

My New Zealand White rabbit doe had her kits yesterday morning. She is house broken, but is outside for the summer. I would post a photo but my camera is suddenly kaputt.

Shelly,
    Thanks for the info about the guineas. When I go to Farmer's Market this weekend I will look for some young ones to go with my young chicks. It is worth a try.
    I moved my "old" chickens to a new enclosure today and cleaned the old one for the young ones to move into in a few weeks. The new one has easier access to the nest boxes so that gathering eggs is more convenient and I can stand up fully inside the closed portion as well as the "play yard". The old one is about 6 inches too short and I have to bend over to walk around inside. Doing something about that is another project for later this summer.
    Have a great afternoon. At last, no rain for an entire day!
    Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Mariann -
    Your package is on its way. I hope you like everything. It was fun picking out things to send to you.
    Delivery confirmation: 03082040000097234006
    Jeanne

• galium
    14 years ago

Jeanne-Your package is ready and will go out tomorrow. I taped it all up and forgot to put the Dahlia in it so I had to open it up again.LOL

Andrea-You need to post when you receive your box. We want to hear what was sent to you.

Shelly-You pack a super box! Great pictures. Is that a clump of feathers on that chick's head???

Alana-Rabbits!! Now I really want to see pictures of the babies.

Fran-Thanks for the Anniversary wishes.

Margo-If you want to learn to post pics the first thing you need is a Photobucket account. From there it is easy. I'd be happy to walk you though it.

I'm going to try and get the signup thread for next month's swap up this weekend.

Have a great evening everyone,
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Margo hon, flwrs4ever told me about another pic hosting site that is even easier then photobucket and I like it a lot. I will post the link for you below so you can start an account if you need help email me I will be glad to help.
    SOMEWHERE on GW in one of the RR threads I posted details on how to post pics but I am not sure if I saved the instructions on my puter or not.
    BUT anyway with tinypic, you can resize the photo as soon as you upload it to the account ALWAYS choose this size: Website/Email(320x240) and it will be a nice size for GW members and not too hard to load for those on dialup still.

It will be THIS size and when you got to post the picture link you are taking to post the pic of ALWAYS choose:
    HTML for Websites
    Again IF you need help email me I will help and or if you have messenger you can add me I will talk to you and help you figure it out.

Mariann that is some of my seed babies in the pic up there :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinypic web hosting site to share ur pics with us

• sred98
    14 years ago

Mariann-yes, it is a Polish aka Topknotter. I am still undecided on what color it will be, and the sex. It will either be a white (not very common, and I don't like solid white chickens!) or a buff laced-which is what I really wanted. I am hoping for a hen. I like their top knot better than the males. You can see the difference on the link I posted below.

What is the June swap's theme going to be? I am addicted! LOL!

Shelly

Here is a link that might be useful: polish chickens

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hello
    well I hope I did ok, I rilly tried to pack as good a box as I got, I fit as much as I could get in it and sent it this morning.
    DC# 0103 8555 7497 6778 3021
    the cuttings will pout(wilt) for a wile, but should purk up in a few days.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed you like it, I used the handplow(that is what I call them) to plant 56 toms today. I went to the community garden this morning to plant and there was a bunch of gardeners there, there is never that many of us there at once unless there is a meeting, well it turns out there was a meeting I didn't know about. so everyone was standing around chatting when I was planting, they could not beleve how many I was planting. well it looks like it is going to storm soon, so I better go

see ya all later
    michelle

• galium
    14 years ago

Jeanne-My DH will be taking your box to the PO today.
    DC# 0103 8555 7496 7480 1146

Shelly-How soon will you know what color the chick will be? Is it to young to sex yet? Have no idea how to tell a female from a male chicken unless it's fully grown.

Fran-Look at those cute little seedings! I don't resize my pictures in Photobucket. I use my Jasc PhotoShop. They never turn out right especially the thumbnails that I use on my Exchange Page. What's the name of the other photo hosting site??? I couldn't change over at this date because Photobucket is packed with all of my photo's and graphics.

Our next swap will be a cutting swap. Cuttings will hopefully fit into a little flat rate box. So postage will be less than $5.
    Have a great day

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    Just wanted to check-in. I see Andrea hasn't posted yet, but she did receive her plants. I had several of the plants on her wish list so it was an easy trade for me. I'm hoping to get my plants by the the end of the week.
    I have gone miniature garden crazy. If you like "wee" things check out "Enchanted Gardens" online. They have some of cutest stuff for fairy gardens. I went crazy and bought wee garden tools, a watering can, a pail, a wagon and a "wee" rabbit and mole!
    Dee

• sred98
    14 years ago

Mariann-I have to wait til it is fully feathered to tell sex and color, since it is light. Others like the white crested black, or gold laced are easier, but since it is light, and looks white, but it also looks "dirty" I am thinking it is actually going to be a buff laced. You can't tell it now, but I actually got it thrown in for free, because it's beak arced up. It has since straightened out, but now I have an Easter Egger with crossbeak. UGH!

The cuttings swap sounds fun, but I don't have any real "cutting" plants. I do mostly bulbs and rhizomes. When the rules get posted maybe I'll realize I have something! LOL!

Shelly

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hello everyone
    I have had a dismal morning, the storms last night clobbered my yard there are pots everywhere, and I lost the greenhouse(litteraly lost, the cover, I can't find it anywhere) and all my hardening vegies(luckily I planted the toms tuesday) and tropicals, evan the SW plants I had not yet planted. the greenhouse is a total loss too, the poles are bent and some of the connectors are busted. but there was very little damage besids the Gh and potted plants, so I count us lucky. there was 1 or 2 twisters 20 miles west of us and several possible ones that went north of us and south of us.
    I hope everyone else is ok, they were showing a couple that was traped in their basement yesterday afternoon in Kirksvill, it was that storm that went over us last night, Timmy and I stayed up watching the TV and the storm getting closer and closer, nether of us can sleep through the thunder, but Jeremy was sound asleep.
    well out I go to take apart the rest of the Gh, and round up some more pots.
    michelle
    ps luckily I sent smitties box on tuesday as well as a box for frances in the trop/sub trop swap. at least their plants dodged the bullet.

• galium
    14 years ago

Michelle-I'm relieved that you and the kids weren't hurt. I can almost envision the disaster you woke up to this morning. I'm like you can't sleep when there is thunder and lightning. I'm so afraid one of the large trees will fall on our house.

Shelly-We'll call the swap a 'Propagation Swap', how's that???LOL Tubers, rhizomes, bulbs and corms are all plant parts used for propagation. See... now you won't hesitate to join in.

I received a fantastic box from Jeanne today! Had so much fun going through it.

Jeanne sent me one of her Flower/Foliage Drying Kits. She makes these to go in the microwave. Plus explicit directions on how to use the kit. I can't wait to try it out! She also sent me some of her homemade plant labels that she makes from mini blinds. They were all tied up in a cute cloth bag. Plus cuttings of Geranium, Geranium 'Peppermint Twist', Lemon Verbena, Rose 'Quietness' and Hydrangea 'Limelight'. I also received Daylily 'Purple Pinwheel', Acanthus-Bear's Breeches, Monarda 'Jacob Kline', Chervil and Chamomile plants. Of course my favorite teas Earl Grey and Raspberry Royal.

Jeanne-Thanks so much for everything you are so generous and thoughtful!
    Hugs,
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Mariann,
    Wow, that package made it to you fast! I'm glad you like what I sent. The Peppermint Twist geranium is one of my favorite. I hope you have luck with it. I think the rooted geranium is a red - I grew red ones from seed last year and now that I think of it, with the size it is - it is likely to be one of those. Lemon verbena will be a tender plant where you are. There is only one place in my garden where I can plant it and have it come back the next year. Thank goodness for that because I love the fragrance.
    We won't have our pansies much longer because it will soon be too hot, but I should dry a few more over the weekend so I will have some on hand. I love those microwave flower drying kits. They are simple to use and the flower colors stay so pretty.

Michelle.
    Oh my what a terrible scene to wake up to. I know you love your greenhouse. I hope you are able to find and save many of the plants. You need a big hug today.

We have had nice temperatures the past few days - of course, I had to work to the extent that I didn't have much outdoor time. I did take a few hours this afternoon to work in the garden - transplanted a few flowers, did a little watering and weeding, and got my golden zucchini plants in the ground. I'll bet it won't take long for the bugs to discover them. I really don't like to spray so I don't know about this vegetable gardening, but I will watch and see and spray the least amount that I can.

Mariann - I am looking forward to the propagating swap. It's a really good time of the year for me to do that!

Jeanne

• smitties
    14 years ago

Michelle, just before I logged on here, my daughter and i were watching a clip on the line of the tornadoes that passed through your area and west last night . I am sorry to hear of the damage and know how disappointed you must be to have lost your greenhouse. I bet you will be searching around every time you drive through your neighborhood looking for that cover. Just maybe you might find it.

I just checked on my package and it left Toledo today which means it is sitting at my post office for delivery tomorrow. I get off work at 3 and will rush home to check it out. I am sure I will enjoy going through it.

Fran, I just happened to be breezing through the post here and noticed my name so zoomed back up to see what it was. Thanks for posting that website. I am going out of town this weekend to do some wedding preparations with my future DIL while my son is away at a bachelor party (weekend). They are getting married in 4 weeks :) I promise to play with pictures next week.

The line of T storms that were west are headed this way but thankfully they are supposed to lose strength. We had some last night but they weren't bad either. I have no trees around our house so that is never an issue. I just can't put light weight things around including hanging planters cause chances are they will blow away. It is always windy around here.

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

A big thank you to Mariann!

Mariann, your box arrived today. The post office seems to be speedy this week. Anyway, the box was packed full of great things. I got some lemongrass lavender soap made by Mariann's DD, White Bleeding Heart seeds, 2 recycled gardening magazines (I will definitely enjoy reading them), Dahlia 'Nagano', Iris 'Everything Plus', two daylilies - 'Little Grapette" and 'Pat Garrity' and Tradescantia x andersoniana 'Bilberry Ice.'
    I think Mariann is much better about keeping things labeled than I am. When my daylilies bloom this year, I am going to be out there trying to provide IDs for them! LOL

Jeanne

• galium
    14 years ago

Jeanne-I think I sent you more than one Iris. I think there were 3 in there. Hope I put them in the box.
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I had not unwrapped the newspaper. There are also Iris 'Fiction' and 'Caribbean Dream.' I just looked up pictures of the three and they are lovely.
    I'll be out planting this evening after it cools off a little.
    Thanks so much.
    Jeanne

• smitties
    14 years ago

Received a box of plants today along with some cuttings. Included in the box were the following. I listed them as I unpacked them and as I was planting, realized there were more types within the bundles.

Bee Balm - three varieties - I love Beebalm and have decided I am going to collect as many varieties as I can and these additions help.

Daylily - three varieties of these.

Surprise lilies - Have always wanted these.

Sedum cuttings - several varieties that are now rooting along with several cuttings of coleous.

Salvia - purple spires

Water iris

Eastern redbud tree

Thank you Michelle, these additions are really helping fill in my gardens. I can't wait to see things in bloom.

• galium
    14 years ago

Margo-Michelle always sends such nice boxes! They are always packed to overflowing.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I posted the new thread for our June Propagation Swap. Hope everyone here will sign up! Should be fun. Have to give credit to Jeanne though she asked to have the swap. We had one in September last year mostly cuttings from annuals that we wanted to overwinter inside.

Here is a treat for everyone. My first Iris of the season:
    Iris 'Hemstitched'

I spent most of yesterday potting up 4 hanging baskets and 4 window boxes with Impatiens. I have very little sun under the eves of my house that through trial and error found that Impatiens grew the best. Does anyone else grow plants in containers over the summer? Love to see some pics.
    Hope everyone is having a great weekend-it's cold and rainy here today. Next week is suppose to be fairly nice.
    Mariann

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

Mariann,
    Enjoy your iris, mine went off early this year and I was just out in my flower garden today wondering if I was going to see anymore this year. I must have had fifty iris blooming at a time all last month! It's funny how some years they all go off at once and other years I will have half a dozen blooming all summer.
    I haven't heard from Andrea (andrizzle) for a week so I sent her a "reminder" email tonight.

• galium
    14 years ago

Dee-I emailed Andrea several days ago asking her to post that she received your box. If we don't hear from her within this week I'll try again. Do you have any pics of your Irises??? Love pics.LOL
    Mariann

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

Mariann,
    I heard from Andrea, she said she mailed out on Friday so I'll post when I receive my trade. I have no idea how to post a picture on this site, or I would post a picture of my flower garden in bloom.
    Dee

• galium
    14 years ago

Dee-If you want to learn how to post pics let me know. I've gone over this with other members. It's really not hard.
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Dee I also posted instructions above for a place called tinypic that holds you pics to place them on places here. I can also help you if you need it. I have instructions in detail somewhere I will look for them and email you if I find them.

Howdy everyone how are you? It is COLD here and has been for 2 days now! GO FIGURE this late in MAY!
    I have gloves on as I type YES I AM that cold!

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Just checking in. Where I am staying the internet connection is so much faster than at home. I am so jealous!
    Fran, I hear it got down to 42 at home last night. What's that about? Mother nature must have forgotten that it is May.
    I hope everyone, and their chickens, ducks geese, etc. are having a good week.
    Alana

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

I would definately like to know how to post pics.
    The update on my trade with Andrea is that I got the box today with a post it note on it from the USDA. It told me to call them before I open it. So I'll let you all know how that goes tomarrow. I've done a lot of trades but this is a new one for me . . I feel like the kid who got caught with his hand in the candy jar.
    Dee

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Alana we broke a record from 1976 last night in '76 it was 41 last night here it was 40 WOW, that is COLD.
    Someone MUST have made Ma nature mad! LOL

Dee WOW, never heard of that happening to anyone. Please let us know as soon as you can what it is about!

Well I guess I am going to bed I am sleepy.
    Night all,

• galium
    14 years ago

Dee-Well that is interesting. When I joined the GW I went to the PO and asked about sending plants. IE. Do I need to label the box in a specific way and is it OK to send plants through the mail. They said that there was no problem. Where does Andrea live?

Alana & Fran-It was in the high 30's here on Monday night. I had potted up a bunch of annuals on Sunday so I just kept my fingers crossed.

I have PT today in the pool. I always feel better afterwords. Although the smell of chlorine stops up my nose.LOL
    Have a great day everyone.
    Mariann

• sred98
    14 years ago

Oh I hope the plants are ok! I would go ahead and open it and get them in some water. Seems like I had something like that happen years ago. Either some water had soaked through the box, or some dirt was on the tape. Something that looked like it was either suspicious or leaking fluids. They got really bad after 911 when all the Anthrax stuff was being mailed out.

Let us know how they turn out!

Shelly

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

I called the Department of Agriculture this morning and the inspector was very nice. He asked what kind of plants were in the box and if there was soil. I told him there was some clay that was stuck on the roots. He said he had looked up the county were thay came from and that they had nemotodes and japanese beetles. He said to open it and if there was more than say a half inch of soil to call him back and he would come out and inspect them. Whew.
    This is what I received:
    Burrito crassula
    Lewisia
    TB Iris "Rameses or Superstition"
    Oriental poppy root
    Day lily "Route 66"
    Black eyed susans
    Thanks Andrea!

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hello
    gee gaads I have had trouble getting back online.
    earthlink will not work on my new computer so I have switched my internet and have a new e-mail. please don't send me e-mails to the old one
    my new e-mail is on my info page

Ihave heard of people not wanting to receve pants with dirt on the roots, so they don't get bugs from a diffrent place, I have trouble getting all the soil off.

I'm starting to collect Irises
    a few days ago I only had 3 kinds
    the old med purple one
    an dusky purple
    and yellow water iris
    my mother in law said I could have hers (she dose not care for them) so I now have
    a very dark purple almost black
    and a reddish chocolate
    on the walks taking timmy to school I saw a very pritty and sweet smelling pale lavender by an older mans ally. I saw him working out in the yard the other day and got the nerve to ask him for a small piece. I gave him a start for each of the other 4 and he gave me a hugh clump of his. he said they were from his parent house in southern missouri and they were originaly planted there in the 1940's, he brought them to quincy with him in the 60's.

wow from just 3 to 6 in a few days.

well I need to go
    and mariann could you please send me the buisy bee's
    e-mail list to my new e-mail, I can't find everyone mail
    thanks a bunch
    michelle

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

Well, I think this trade is over so I'm on to other things. It was fun, I hope you'll let me trade with you guys again sometime.
    Dee

• galium
    14 years ago

Dee-We enjoyed having you with us this month.
    Updated List:

Micyrey-sent-received
    Smitties-sent-rec
    Galium-sent-received
    Sandlapper-Rose-sent-received
    Squanzon
    NCGardengirl
    Candycow
    PrayerRock
    Mommyto2-received-sent
    Kalena67-sent-rec
    Poisondartfrog-sent-rec
    Sred98-sent-rec
    andrizzle-sent-received
    Domehome-sent-received

Did I miss anyone? I just have 4 members who signed up that haven't sent. Please mail your boxes asap. We don't want this swap to run into next month.

I went to the Nursery, where I use to work, yesterday. The previous owner, my old boss, is renting the place out now. The new people have the most spectacular plant material. Things you can't find at most Garden Centers. I picked up the most beautiful begonias. The flowers are yellow with orange around the edges. Also bought some Ivy Geraniums for my 3 tiered basket. I could have spent hundreds of dollars there.
    Hope everyone has a great weekend.
    Mariann

• sguanzon
    14 years ago

So sorry to be late sending this month. Was going to send yesterday but then I remembered no mail on Monday! Will send Tuesday...hope you like what I picked, Fran!

Sue G.

• galium
    14 years ago

Sue-Thanks for posting. I was getting a little concerned about you. You are never late! I hope everything is OK with you. Fran emailed me yesterday she is in a quandary about what to send you. Probably because of that hot weather you have out there in AZ.

prayerrock-I sent you an email.

candycow-You don't have an email addy on your Member's Page. I have no way of contacting you. Please post.
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

HEY Everyone!

YES Mariann I am worried about how hot and dry Sue's conditions are. I am gonna get some things out to send and HOPE she likes them I am gonna get my box ready and mail it tomorrow. GEE WHIZ I AM NERVOUS sending to SUE lol.

I have been so busy this month has gone by so fast. Sue I wanted to have your box out sooner, I am sorry. I think too, I was so ummmm worried about sending to you that time past me by too.

OK well, it has rained for the past 2 days and I have been getting out in between the rain to do stuff so I guess I better hurry up and get out there now while there is yet another break in the rain.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Hey everyone I just wanted to post that I mailed out Sue's box, the SO took it to the post office while he was out running errands and unfortunately by the time he got there he forgot it needed a DC#. BUT it DID go PRIORITY MAIL because I thank goodness had a sticker on it.

SO it is on it's way to AZ now.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Howdy ALL,
    I received my box from Sue today THANK YOU SUE.

She sent:
    Pink Polkdot (dot) Gloves
    20 small plaztic pots (great to start things in!)
    3 4 inch plastic pots (always need pots)

Plants:
    Bearded Iris Spring Butterfly (tried to find a bloom pic NO info online!)
    Bearded Iris Serenity Prayer (THIS one is VERY PRETTY!)
    Jade 'Et's Fingers' yep sure looks like it too! very cute THANK YOU
    Lantana 'Christine' this one is pretty too THANKS!
    Sweet Potato Vine 'Blackie' which was pouting rather badly lol. I stuck it in water and will plant when it perks back up.

Sure thanks so very much, I see you actually looked at my wants list LOL. THANKS so much that is ALWAYS ALWAYS apreciated!
    Great box loved all the plants! AND I surely did need those pots so thanks so much!

• galium
    14 years ago

Fran-Great box from Sue! Looking forward to seeing what you sent her.
    Mariann

• sguanzon
    14 years ago

I tried to get on to post last week and I could see the titles but couldn't open any pages --- weird!

I received a fantastic box from Fran!

She sent:

a little Chocolate Daisy plant (really wanted this!)

and the most beautiful sedums. I just can't get over how many different varieties there are out there. I just love sedums!

I got:

Sedum Sieboldi
    Golden Start Sedum
    Sedum Coral Reef
    Blue Sedum
    and Sedum Marikoi

Everything arrived just fine.

Thanks Fran!

Sue G.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Hey Sue, I really hope you liked the box.
    Did the Chocolate Daisy make it ok? I was worried about it. The ones I didn't send a hefty amount of I split what I had with you.

The one is Makinoi 'Salsa Verde'. The tag I got in the plant was wrong and I finally found the correct name a few days ago online.

Thanks for the swap I enjoyed it.

• galium
    14 years ago

Fran-I knew you could come up with great ideas for Sue!
    OK this month is finished. Thank you to everyone who participated.
    Mariann