SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftyhobbyhouse

Overwhelmed planning first SFG beds!

11 years ago

Hi all! So I'm new to the forum but have been an avid reader for a few months now! I just moved to a beautiful piece of property in FL with lots of room for a garden and I need some major help with planning it all out! I'm totally overwhelmed!

Going to try to keep this short and to the point.

We have fenced a 50x60 area for a garden and I'm planning to leave a 5' area on perimeter so husband can mow, so essentially a 40x50 foot area to put the boxes.

This season I plan to start with six 4'x16'x12" boxes made of plain white lumber due to costs. My biggest concern at this time is irrigation. We are going to trench in water and put a stub out at each box. After that, I have no idea what would be better and keep getting conflicting information. I have a neighbor who swears that a sprinkler on a timer is the best, I have read that soaker hoses are easier than drip irrigation (easy and lower maintenance is a priority since I work long and odd hours). I was thinking 4-5 soaker hoses along the length of the beds but now I'm thinking maybe 2 or 3 sprinkler heads on a timer would be better? Any experience is greatly appreciated!! I've always done container and earthbox gardening, so this is a little new to me!

My other questions are:

1. What has been the best underlayment in everyone's experiences? I really want to reduce weeding so is landscape fabric worth the costs over newspaper or cardboard? Boxes will just be built over grass (in FL so quite sandy).

2. What is the best spacing distances between boxes? Is three feet enough?

THANKS EVERYONE in advance! :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals