SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sumilea2008

Is there a Formula for Watering Tomato Plants?

sumilea2008
16 years ago

This is probably a stupid question, but I thought i'd ask anyways. Has anyone formulated the Volume in which Tomatoes plants absorb/consume water? Like for Instance if a Tomato plant is 5 Inches tall it would consume so much water as opposed to a 15 inch plant absorbs that much more water... Just curious if growing tomatoes involved any Math. Thanks

Sumilea

Comments (58)

• shellva
    16 years ago

Yes, the answer is it depends! I watered my tomatoes most of the summer last year. But then the drought really set in so by mid July I stopped all watering. I thought my tomatoes were done but they were still giving me a good crop in mid October. I wasn't watering them at all. We were 22 inches below normal. Plants were healthy, planted in the ground in good soil with lots of mulch. So the answer is it depends:)

• sumilea2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aloha everyone! Thank you all for your responses, and I'm sorry if i caused any trouble. I should of probably rephrased my question and asked for a Average consumption of water per plant size. Kinda like how a grown human needs a average of 8 glasses of water a day (But would a baby consume the same?). The reason is i wanted a simple answer is because I'm obsessed with my Tomato babies, and it makes me feel better if there is a general rule of thumb. I just feel sad for my little seedlings, not sure if they are hungry or what not. Thank You =)

Sumilea

p.s First time gardner but you should see my new nursery setup pretty proud of it to lol.

"My home made Tomato Nursery setup"

• Related Discussions

Tomato plant water consumption ?

Q

Comments (5)
    Agree - keep it simple or it becomes depressing work. ;) Soaker hose, my fingers, and a few stratigicaly placed tin cans have worked well for me for years in my particular soil. And in very dry areas of the country growers have success doing dry-farming of tomatoes. The plants will tell you when it needs water and too little water is better than too much. Oxygenated roots are even more important than water. The crucial phrase - consistent moisture level- is too often misinterpreted to mean consistently WET soil. But that isn't true. It is the word "consistent" that is important. The plants will adapt to the available soil moisture if it is consistent. But if it is the complex details that appeal to you, by all means, go for it and I wish you luck. Dave
    ...See More

Watering Tomato plants

Q

Comments (20)
    I do see what you are saying, Naturegirl, if you are outdoors a lot, you do get a feel for what the plants are experiencing. IâÂÂm not out there as much as I would like, so that doesnâÂÂt usually help me much. Fireduck, we get rain, just that when rain is forecast, 8 out of 10 times, the forecast is for scattered showers in the afternoon. ItâÂÂs very hit or miss, so I almost have to ignore the forecast. Which I guess works for me most of the time, but sometimes I get caught having just watered before rain. Kathy, thanks for the link, IâÂÂll check those out. I do check the soil with my finger but unless it is totally bone dry, I can usually detect some moisture. So I guess itâÂÂs a question of degree. Sleevendog, That is part of my problem this year, that I had to purchase soil for new raised beds, so I have half my beds filled with my own soil from the old garden beds, that has been organically managed for years and half the garden beds are filled with organic native soil that is not as high in organic matter and drains differently than what IâÂÂve been growing in for years. So you pick the cherry tomatoes that are almost ripe before a heavy rain is forecast, so they wonâÂÂt split? If tomatoes split, you can still eat them right? Is it just cosmetic? Seysonn, do they show the âÂÂgallon per minuteâ flow on the tag when you buy your hose nozzle, or are you just determining that yourself by timing how long it takes to fill a container?
    ...See More

Top of tomato plant is wilting after watering with Epsomsalt

Q

Comments (74)
    Sorry Eva but your question got lost in all the other discussion. In the future it is best to start your own thread, ok? I don't know what the foil is supposed to do but it could be making the soil too warm. It can also abrade the stems. Wilting can be caused by many things - over or under watering, over-crowding, transplant shock, the potting mix you used, or even by all the things you have sprayed on them. What are the containers filled with? One problem is obvious, the size of the plants right now compared to the size of the container means they could easily be drowning if you are actually keeping 35 gallons of soil wet all the time. With a container that big what is usually done is to fill it only 1/2 full, plant the small transplant and then slowly fill the container with mix as the plant grows. That keeps the scale of plant to amount of soil in line. Could your tell us the actual dimensions on the container? Are you guessing at the 35 gallons or is that what the nursery claimed? The reason I ask is that 35 gallons is a very unusual size for containers sold to the public. In all my years in the nursery business I have never seen a container that shape that will actually hold that much mix. Standard sizes for hard sided containers is 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 50. Your plants are quite leggy, with long skinny stems and long spaces between the branches. That means they are not getting nearly enough sun. Plus are you sure they were aphids? It would be unusual to see aphids in soil. More likely fungus gnats. Either way I'd suggest laying off on all the sprays. Those home-made remedies usually only make things worse. Based on your photos I can only tell you what I would do. Reduce the plants to no more than two in each container, dig up the two you choose to leave and bury them much deeper so all that bare stem is buried, bury them right up to just below the top cluster of leaves so new roots will develop all along that buried stem. Then feed them with a well balanced fertilizer, preferably a liquid one so it will work quickly and move the containers to where they can get much more sun. Next year, if you plan use those same containers, first take the time to do some research into large container growing. It has some very unique requirements. I hope this is of some help to you. Dave
    ...See More

Tomato Plant Watering Questions...

Q

Comments (4)
    Are they mulched? Did you add any organic matter when you planted them? Are you watering deeply or just surface watering? Watch to see if they perk back up when it cools off in the evening. If not, you need to water them. If so, you can leave them another day. Watering anything too often can cause root rot, which mimics wilting from too little water.
    ...See More
  • aclum
    16 years ago

Hi,

Although I don't know the answer to the question , I think I interpreted it differently from the rest of you.

The way I saw it, Simulea was asking (to paraphrase), all other things being equal (that is, same variety of plants growing under identical conditions but in pots proportional to their size), is there any formula relating water requirements to plant size. So, for example, would a 15" plant require 3x the water of a 5" plant? (He or she just compared this to the daily water needs of a baby vs and adult).

Anne

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    16 years ago

Nice compact and creative setup for growing a small number of transplants. I haven't seen one like that before. The fan reminds me I should make some adjustments in my growing area soon.

Good luck with your babies! My indoor 'maters need alot more water when the forced air heat is on alot in the house. ....and with temps around 0 F. outside today I'm figuring on checking the little ones an extra time today. I don't know of any formulas, I use the high tech calibrated finger stuck in the ground method :)

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Hi sumilea - Nice set-up but if you trimmed all the extra tops off the cups the seedlings would get more light - that or moved the light above the seedlings somehow. But all in all, they look good.

And don't worry, it wasn't you who caused any problem. Some folks just prefer to post personal attacks on others than to abide by the forum rules. We all should just learn to ignore them for the short time they will be around. Sorry I didn't practice what I preach. ;)

But it does make a difference when discussing seedlings rather than established plants as was assumed from your initial question. Seedings can still thrive using naturegirl's high tech approach of sticking your finger into the soil. ;) If it feels dry - water, if not - don't. I assume you have drain holes in the bottom of the cups and can bottom water?

Keep up the good work.

Dave

• sumilea2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

digdirt - "I assume you have drain holes in the bottom of the cups and can bottom water?"

Yes, Initially i only had drain holes in the bottom but I've added more around the cup as suggested by one of the posters on this thread. He/she said that it helps the soil absorb more air or was it the roots?...

digdirt - "if you trimmed all the extra tops off the cups the seedlings would get more light"

The Reason why i didn't cut the tops off the cups is as the plants grew taller i would add new layers of soil. On the assumption that the stem will grow roots gradually instead of potting up. Once the plants outgrew the cups then i would pot up to a bigger container. I added Aluminum foil on all sides to reflect light including the top. I'm probably doing everything back words or the wrong way but its become our (me-sumi and wifey-lea) science project.

• sumilea2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aloha Aclum! Thats exactly what i was trying to ask. I sure did a good job confusing everyone sorry for that. Explaining things ain't my strongest point. However this thread has taught me several new things i didn't know yesterday so kudo's to everyone

Sumilea

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

I'm probably doing everything back words or the wrong way but its become our (me-sumi and wifey-lea) science project.

Nope, you're doing great! ;)

Dave

• seedboy
    16 years ago

"'I think there would be too many factors to make a water formula very accurate.'

Which basically means that they do not know the answer but are trying to make themselves look smart."

For your information, I'm not trying to make myself look smart. Frankly, your assumption about my motivation makes you look pretty stupid. If you know of a formula that will accurately predict the water absorption rate of a tomato under all conditions, by all means share it with us. What you provided was a very general guideline for a specific temperature range, not a formula.

• bakersville
    16 years ago

seedboy that judgment was made by reading your previous posts in this forum and the quoted statement. my statement was a simple formula instead a complex formula since most of factor you listed have no effect on the outcome.

• ladykitsu
    16 years ago

Sumilea-
    I *LOVE* your setup!

Better yet, my husband would love your setup because he's always worried about spills and messes, especially after I move from starter plugs to larger cups. For some reason, at that point my cat gets *real* interested in the seedlings. Not to eat, just to sniff and poke around, which means alot of them end up on their sides and dirt spills out :(

Laura

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

Sumilea,

Just chiming in because I live in the next town over from Marlborough. I also love your set up! What a sweet little set up! Kudos! I'm impressed with your creativity - it's just lovely.

My only thought would be your kinda starting your plants early... January is early... for Z5... I have a few things started (uh-hum) not tomatoes... If you wanted to 'talk' further about when I start, etc. or if you wanted a few plants at planting time I'm probably somewhere up the street from you! Give me your addy and we'll chat.

Take care and good luck!

Tom

• anney
    16 years ago

Sumilea

Here's another way to look at it -- a piece of the picture. When you use a self-watering container for tomatoes or any other plant, the plants take what they need, and that is highly variable during any period of time. You add water to the water reservoir, but it doesn't affect what the plant takes unless you forget and no water at all is available.

Likewise you can think of the earth itself as a "self-watering" container. You water the EARTH so the plants can take what they need. You're never really watering the plants; you're providing a reservoir of moisture to the soil that the plant can take if it needs it.

That's why experienced gardeners are less likely to water on a schedule but rather they'll pay attention to soil moisture in the region where the roots are and "water deep" when they do water (just a lot of water applied infrequently!). Unless a seedling is very shallow-rooted, the surface of the soil can be dry without harm to the moisture needs of the plant with deeper roots.

It's also good to remember that some plants can get too much water at times in their productive lives. Most advice about melons and tomatoes recommends that you stop watering them when they're approaching maturity to avoid a watery bland-tasting fruit. By then, their roots are deep and will take the water they need from the deep soil but won't "overindulge" themselves in water if it is constantly applied and taken up by their shallower roots.

So instead of thinking "formula" or schedules, try to see a larger picture of roots, plant, soil, and moisture. You can check soil moisture by poking a finger down about two inches deep in the soil. If it's dry, water the soil. If it's still damp, check it in another couple of days. Some people use a moisture meter.

• sumilea2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ladykitsu - my husband would love your setup because he's always worried about spills and messes

Thanks for the Compliment. Me and my wife put a lot of love to our Tomato Baby Nursery Setup. It brings the kid in the both of us. Let us know if you need any help with setting your own setup.

tom8olvr - I live in the next town over from Marlborough

Thats wonderful News! Me and my wife just moved to Marlborough MA from Honolulu Hawaii. We are not yet used to the Cold Weather, and we both suffer from sun down syndrome (missing the sunshine - since the sun goes down fairly quickly here in Marlborough as opposed to 7:30pm in hawaii). The reason for our move is job related. We are here for 2 Years. We started our tomato baby project to keep us on our feet as we don't have any new friends yet. The Seedlings are from a Russo Bruno (Kumato) Tomato we saved from a grocery store in Hawaii. It tasted very sweet, and we both have never seen Black tomatoes before and decided to give the seeds we saved a try.

anney Thank you so much for giving me insight. After reading another thread on the Earth Box and pictures of his Resulting Garden I've decided once my plants are bigger to transplant them in to a Earth Box. Looking forward to all these cool projects. EXCITING!!!

Thank you Everyone for your input and help! Much appreciated. You folks make this tomato forum a great community for Novice, beginners like me and Advanced alike.

• anney
    16 years ago

sumilea

I've grown tomatoes in self-watering containers, and they do just fine if the container and water reservoir are large enough. They will make a LOT of roots in container, though, so don't be surprised when you empty the container!

Just be ready to support the vines with something very sturdy if they get long. Some of my indeterminates grown in self-waterers were ten feet tall!

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

Sumilea,

Hawaii - I imagine you are missing the sun... Your little set up looks like you're on the right track.

Again, give me your addy and we can chat.

Tom8olvr

• timmy1
    16 years ago

The lower % relitive humidity = the faster transpiration rate.

• sumilea2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tom8olvr - Here is my Email Address - sumi_1729@yahoo.com. I clicked on your user name but no email address shows up.

Sumilea

• seedboy
    16 years ago

seedboy that judgment was made by reading your previous posts in this forum and the quoted statement. my statement was a simple formula instead a complex formula since most of factor you listed have no effect on the outcome.

I really couldn't care less about your opinion of my motivations. What sumilea originally asked was what is the water consumption rate of a tomato. She then gave a specific example in relation to the size of the plant without consideration of any other factors, so my response was reasonable. However, yours was not. What you provided was a watering schedule, not an answer to her question. Furthermore, your watering scheme didn't even take into consideration the size of the plant. Does your watering schedule apply to seedlings, 12 inch or 8 foot plants? Inquiring minds want to know.

• oregon_veg
    16 years ago

My south facing beefsteaks take 4 times more water than my east facing cherry tomatoes.

What about the bed on top of decomposed granite? The runoff amounts to 3 times your formula before ANY uptake.

The Cherokee tomatoes by the creek only need watering once a week.

FWIW, your statement was a NOT simple formula.

Learn the signs of dehydration, water when needed. Very simple formula.
    You haven't learned that after 25 years of growing?

• atascosa_tx
    16 years ago

Nice setup Sumilea..as far as watering I use the same method as many others in here use..the good ol trusty finger and eye sight. Tomatoes are water users especially when it starts to get hot. Water deeply and not frequently. The plants will let you know. Last year I planted in both EB type containers and in the ground and the results were phenomenal. Containers had a slight edge, but the ones in the ground required less water of course and also faired better during the duration of the summer. Use mulch as much as possible..not only does it keep the moisture in the ground, it also helps to keeps weeds at bay. As I say...here we grow again..enjoy.

• vall3fam
    16 years ago

So let me try and understand this. If the plants need 1 gallon a day in warm conditions, is this applied 1 gallon daily, or 7 gallons weekly? If I am using soaker hoses, how do I calculate 1 gallon per plant? Our area receives zero rain during the growing season, so is this formula the same as an area that receives summer rains, but at the same temperatures? I also have sandy soil and our temps reach upper 90's and into 100 on a regular basis during summer. Would I still do the 1 gallon a day or at what rate would it increase at these temperatures? I guess my confusion comes in with all these different factors affecting my watering. I want to make sure I get it right so my tomatoes come out nice! Thanks for your input,
    Elaine

• atascosa_tx
    16 years ago

forget the calculations vall3fam..let your plants tell you when they need water..but in sandy soil (doesn't keep moisture too long) use a lot of mulch..3 inches plus or deeper if ya have it..The sandy soil and soaker hoses is tricky cause down here I have dark clay..but with sandy soil i'd say run it till it pools and then wait 10 minutes and run again. Water deeply and pay attention to ya plants..in the hot weather...they will will tell ya when they need water.

16 years ago

While looking into drip irrigation I stumbled across formulas galore. Enough to perhaps turn my physicist son into a tomato grower....charts and tables of landscape coefficients, climate efficiency variables, reference evapotranspiration rates, he would love it! I think I will be sticking with the eye and finger method myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formulas!

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

Bakersville?
    Isn't that the place started by the guy from "Bakers Creek seeds"?
    If so, he needs a lesson in customer relations!

1eyedJack and the Dawg

• sumilea2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

naturegirl_2007 That Website has some heavy duty formulas equations and numbers, i like it. Thanks!

Just on the side note, Its just so much fun watching the Seedlings grow (1 month ago they barely had true leaves now they got plenty, I have so much fun just photographing the side views, top views of my little plants (turning in to a obsession). I should be a Tomato Portrait Photographer. I bet you guys would pay me big bucks to photograph your tomato plants lol.

My Seedlings Today Feb 12th 2008 10:18pm

Same Seedlings 2 days Earlier Feb 10th 2008

Me and Wife just get all excited with the faster growth now =) (Waiting for the first true leaves was the hardest). This is probably how you folks felt when you were new to Tomato Gardening. So if we sound a little cheezy, please forgive us.

• seedboy
    16 years ago

"While looking into drip irrigation I stumbled across formulas galore. Enough to perhaps turn my physicist son into a tomato grower....charts and tables of landscape coefficients, climate efficiency variables, reference evapotranspiration rates, he would love it! I think I will be sticking with the eye and finger method myself."

Now that's more like it! That's exactly the kind of thing I think about when somebody says "formula." Thanks for the interesting link.

• tomatod
    16 years ago

bakersville is too blatently obnoxious to be on a good forum like this with civil, respectful people.

And bakersville's (the authority of tomato watering???) reply was no more than a rambling blather of non information:

"the answer is 1/2- gallon - 1 gallon ever (sic) two days when weather is in 70-80 f range. 1 gallon or more a day if it is hotter. If it is really hot you might need to water in morning and evening at the base of the plant."

Wow! How's that for some specific scientific information! "One gallon or more when hotter." How many math and biology classes did it take you to figure that one out? How much is "more?" A half to a gallon "ever" two days? Very specific. Great info. How many extra gallons do we need to add if the water runs off? Soaker hose all night? How many gallons is that? And if it is "hot" we should water more, morning and night, at the base of the plant? You are a genious! You are too talented to be here. You need to be at a research station. In Iraq.

bakersville, you gave the most idiotic reply of totally non-information I've ever seen here, and then you insulted the others who you, I assume, consider to be your intellectual and horticultural inferiors. You win the prize, bakersville. You gave the most insulting, obnoxious, and idiotic reply I've ever seen here. Hands down. At least you are good at something.

It just ticks me off to see crass, obnoxious, pompous idiots insulting nice people here for no purpose whatsoever. I had a purpose. I can't stand a smart-a$$ or a bully and I don't mind slapping back when they need it. You d*** sure need it. I'm surprised the others didn't romp all over you, which they should have done.

bakersville, if you can't act right, just shut up or stay off the forum. You obviously don't fit with the nice, civil people here.

TomatoD

16 years ago

sumilea2008 "Me and Wife just get all excited with the faster growth now =) (Waiting for the first true leaves was the hardest). This is probably how you folks felt when you were new to Tomato Gardening. So if we sound a little cheezy, please forgive us."

I've grown a few tomatoes over the years and the indoor seed starting time is alway fun. It is about the only time you will hear me talking to my plants. If that is cheesy, oh well. I think the wonder of growth stays with many of us, at least at times.

To me, the mark of an experienced(hardened?) gardener is how well s/he can squish tomato hornworms and thin out crowded plants. I gardened with a newbie last summer who regarded me as one step above a criminal when I nonchalantly squished and yanked.

Hope your 'maters continue to grow well and have no hornworm encounters.

• sumilea2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To : naturegirl_2007 -

Yeah, my wife wont let me thin out any of the tomato seedlings, She believes its cruel for one and the little guy deserves a chance to show its colors. My plan is to give the extra seedlings to people who might be interested in growing tomatoes. I've been trying convince my mom and brother to grow just one tomato plant just for fun. Will see how that goes.

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

I gotta go with NatureGirl there - those tomato horn worms are some of the most disgusting things I have ever seen - it takes a tough person to stomach that.

THIS might be cheesy - but there's something about starting with this itty bitty seed - sprouting, growing, putting outside, watching it get 7', picking fruit/vegetable, canning, and feeding the fam from it all winter long... And it all came from this tiny seed... Cheesy, but true for me.

• bakersville
    16 years ago

tomatod "to be on a good forum like this with civil, respectful people."

as soon as you find a good forum with civil, respectful people."let me know since this forum has never been like that,
    it has alway been filled with bunch nasty bunch that will
    attack you for one wrong word unless you there ktb.

Ps I have no relation to Bakers Creek seeds.

• lightt
    16 years ago

Bakersville,
    You haven't even been a member of GW or this forum for a month yet!! How in the world do you make statements regarding what this forum is like in that short of time?

Back to your original (Feb 10) post, you seem not to take into consideration the water requirements of tomato plants dependent on whether they are grown in sandy soil, clay soil or straight ChickenMan-ure!!

Terry Light
    Oak Hill, Virginia

• bakersville
    16 years ago

lightt just because a person has not posted on a forum does not mean that person has not been reading that forum.
    You assume that the two things are synonymous which they are not.

• bakersville
    16 years ago

lightt also I assumed the person would plant in quality soil;
    instead of just digging a hole and throwing the plant in.

• anney
    16 years ago

bakersville
    as soon as you find a good forum with civil, respectful people." let me know since this forum has never been like that, it has alway been filled with bunch nasty bunch that will attack you for one wrong word unless you there ktb.

For someone who joined on January 17, 2008, you certainly can't know much about GardenWeb, using "never" and "always", unless you were blocked and have registered under a new name. You're the only one I've seen who's been nasty to anyone. Truly.

• bakersville
    16 years ago

anney guess you have not been paying attention since it happens all time.

anny also see my post at 12:33.

• tomatod
    16 years ago

bakersville,

Here you go again...

I agree with Terry and Anney, and all the others who jumped in on your insulting remarks.

First, you haven't been here a month, and not only are you seeking to be the authority on most everything, you do it in an obnoxious way, and then you insult the others who have different opinions, and I've known these posters to be nice people here. There are just some people in this world who just don't seem to want to get along with others, and you seem to be one of those. No wonder. Here's proof:

Some of your quotes: The first in response to "seedboy" when he gave a reasonable and civil reply to sumilea, who is trying to get started with tomatoes:

"seedboy so basically you no clue, and have decided to waste sumilea time by post the fact you don't know the answer."

First off, if you are striving to showcase your intelligence you must learn to construct a simple sentence correctly. I read seedboy's post, and like others, agree that he was right. So, why did you have to act so snotty to him? He was just trying to help, and gave a logical and truthful opinion in a nice way. Being nice is certainly not what you tried to do. I've never seen gardeners who couldn't get along. They are some of the best people in the world, and your posts sometimes defy the logic and decency that the others share here.

Then, when Anney defended the good people of the tomato forum here you said...
    "this forum has never been like that,
    it has alway been filled with bunch nasty bunch"

And then... "guess you have not been paying attention since it happens all time."

How would you know? You've haven't been registered here a month!

Either you aren't paying attention, or you are a bona fide nut. No wonder that I haven't seen you get along with ONE person in this thread. The sad thing is you don't seem to want to.

So, this forum is filled with "bunch nasty bunch." I guess that means all of us. Except you. Correct? If you really feel that way then just shut up and stay off the tomato forum, or go start your own.

I agree with BigDaddyJ, that you obviously have some "issues." Probably far worse than we can handle here. But if you can't follow the simple rules of kindergarten, such as be nice and play fair, then don't participate.

TomatoD

• bakersville
    16 years ago

tomatod i will give you the same answer I gave light since like you, he could not grasp the same simple concept.

tomatod just because a person has not posted on a forum does not mean that person has not been reading that forum.

Also tomatod my remark were not insulting they were the truth. Seedboy basically did not know answer but worded his response to make himself look knowledgeable without answering the question in a meaning full way.

• tomatod
    16 years ago

bakersville...end of discussion...be nice...best wishes for a good tomato crop in 2008...

TomatoD

Help Ever, Hurt Never...

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

I hope that all this has not scared away poor Sumilea!

• bakersville
    16 years ago

tomatod you never were in the discussion so you you basicly you have no right end it. You are one of those starting the problems by making insults against me. Your the one who has learn play nice.

• tomatod
    16 years ago

bakersville...end of discussion...be nice...best wishes for a good tomato crop in 2008...

TomatoD

Help Ever, Hurt Never...

• sumilea2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This thread should be deleted by the moderators of this forum. It just brings bad vibes to this good community and those who seek advice. I feel bad for even starting this thread.

Sumilea

• dianasobsessions
    16 years ago

Sumilea,
    You should not feel bad for starting this thread at all! Another individual's uncivil remarks are not your fault and you shouldn't feel responsible for their behavior.

This was a good thread with a lot of information and besides I personally loved the pictures of your nursery setup. Great job!

Best regards,
    Diana

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    16 years ago

sumilea2008,

1. If those pictures are recent pictures, then you may be starting a little too early for your zone, if you don't have a green house.

2. Your lighting scheme is rather unusual. How did you arrive at lighting from the side?

3. Back to your question. Watering for tomatoes is very complicated. To simplify, just remember two things: a. More tomatoes plants are killed by over watering. b. If the leaves looks droopy, water.

4. Finally, don't ever be bothered by rude comments. Internet is for people who are helpful and for the metally sick.

dcarch

• lightt
    16 years ago

Bakersville,
    You haven't even been a member of GW or this forum for a month yet!! How in the world do you make statements regarding what this forum is like in that short of time?

Back to your original (Feb 10) post, you seem not to take into consideration the water requirements of tomato plants dependent on whether they are grown in sandy soil, clay soil or straight ChickenMan-ure!!

Terry Light
    Oak Hill, Virginia

• bakersville
    16 years ago

here are my previous response to your post.

light just because a person has not posted on a forum does not mean that person has not been reading that forum.
    lightt also I assumed the person would plant in quality soil;instead of just digging a hole and throwing the plant in!As for clay or sandy soil you question pointless since drainage is real issue either to much or to little.

But you seem to go down the same path that previous trouble making trolls have claim someone is trouble maker to hide the fact that your own action are causing most of the troubles. Also if really want see what has gone in this forum read the google cache of this forums post.

• oregon_veg
    16 years ago

sumilea2008,
    I disagree about deleting this thread.
    Discussion is healthy. Even if it takes a bad turn. Everyone's opinion should be heard. It's easy to turn someone off you don't like. People are too easily offended. (PC run amuck) Let everyone be heard, not just people we agree with (okay, there would be exceptions like REALLY vulgar and abusive people).
    Actually, I think it's funny watching people show how little they know about growing tomatoes.
    So, relax, sit back and enjoy the show.
    It's no big deal.
    ö¿ö
    ~

• bakersville
    16 years ago

oregon_veg I agree this thread is good example of how people who would prefer to attack others then answer the question.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH