SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mer222

Unidentified worm or caterpillar found on tomato

Mer222
12 years ago

Hi,

I'm a new gardener, and picked this caterpillar off of our tomato leaves this afternoon. He looks a lot like the armyworms listed in identification guides, except his small orange head doesn't have any of the dark lines that i.d. guides say are present. His head is just a solid orange, and he has those two small black dots on each end of his body. I'm never sure how close follow identification guides, since a lot of the same species of spiders and insects can look so different, but sometimes small differences can indicate completely separate species.

There is a picture link to copy and paste. Does anyone know what kind of caterpillar this is? I'd like to keep pest management restricted to organic methods only if possible. Also, does anyone know of any really good caterpillar identification guides for Florida to help me determine between good and bad pests?

Thank you!

Mer

https://mojhaa.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pKD7skXxdXDoMgl0elGLlf7z7GdHvi1XdMaTeMmkuw82x-zJYczXPmhLu7X_puF8XXdbRgqHRA2mmQLBFXJiasCqY4nODpS33/IMG_1885.JPG?psid=1

Comment (1)