SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nosupplies

Discolored seedling leaves, lighting or nutrient?

NoSupplies
18 years ago

Double post, moved to here after suggested to do so.

Each link is where I got information from concerning this problem, I thought I had it figured out. I think I am at least on the right track. When I went to check on my Cherokee Purple this evening one of the leaves had begun to wilt, I think I let the plant grow to close to the light, I was running 24/7 to see if there were any differences than when I ran them 14-16/7. I think what I have done is ran the lights to long and let the plant grow to close to the lighting, 24/7 Lighting allowed the nutrients to be produced quickly, but did not allow the plant to consume the nutrients properly.

Could someone confirm this for me or help me figure out what is going on with the leaves? Am I completely off base with whats going on?

Thank you,

Joyce

Cherokee Purple Journal

Hydromall

Calcium: Young leaves are affected before older leaves and become distorted, small in size with spotted or necrotic (dead) areas. Bud development is inhibited and root tips may die back. Tipburn on lettuce is a symptom of calcium deficiency but is also caused by other factors not associated with a solution deficiency. Blossom end rot of tomatoes is also caused by a deficiency of calcium within the fruit tissue (not necessary in the nutrient solution), and is more of a `calcium transport' problem within the plant under certain environmental conditions.

Iron: Deficiency shows as a distinct yellowing between the leaf veins which stay green, on the new growth and younger leaves (this distinguishes it from magnesium deficiency which shows first on the older leaves). On crops such as tomatoes, iron deficiency may show when conditions are to cold for uptake, rather than be caused be an actual deficiency in solution

Photosynthesis vs Respiration

In green plants both photosynthesis and respiration occur. In relatively bright light photosynthesis is the dominant process (meaning that the plant produces more food than it uses during respiration). At night, or in the absence of light, photosynthesis essentially ceases, and respiration is the dominant process; the plant consumes food (for growth and other metabolic processes).

Comments (4)