SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magnolias4ever

Excellent!! Thank You Dr. Carolyn :-)

magnolias4ever
16 years ago

OK, went to the library today (even got my own library card LOL) Well, needless to say, I haven't been in a library in a long time. The last time I was there I was working on genealogy, not vegetables.

So I look up tomatos to find where the books are (Non-Fiction 635 area) and what did I find? I found this really cool book "100 Heirloom Tomatos for the American Garden". I'm thinking "wow, this is a cool book!" Then I see who the author is -- Dr. Carolyn J. Male..... OH!!!!! I know who she is!!!!!

I couldn't wait to get the book checked out. Mel's new square foot gardening book is already checked out at all 4 libraries here in Mobile... but I'm on the list for when it gets turned back in.

So we decide to go to dinner (yeah!! I don't have to cook tonight I'm thinking) We went to Red Lobster and I didn't mean to be rude or anything, but I brought Dr. Carolyn's book in the restaurant with me. Before we left there, I am almost 1/2 way thru it! Love this book!!!

I've learned so much already, just about the history of the tomato, tomato diseases, how to start as seedlings, harden off, transplant, etc, etc. And I'm into the part where Dr. Carolyn gives specific info about EACH of the 100 heirlooms -- there's even pics of the tomato plant and of the fruit.

This is an awesome book. I think I'm going to just have to find one to buy because I can see where I would refer back to it time and time again.

I especially like the section on how to develop your own "heirloom" tomato... it would take a while to do, but it really sounds like it would be fun.

Thanks again for a great book. For all you newbies out there, get a copy. The book explains so much.

Judy

Comments (10)