SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rizzir

What would you grow on this full-sun East face?

rizzir
18 years ago

I need your help to think of ideas with what to do with the following area of my house.

This is a drawing I did of the east face of my house and the flat parcel of land directly below it. My house is light gray siding with matching light gray paint over the cinderblock and brick chimney. My screen porch is at the rear (northeast corner) and there is a 10' wide deck running the length of this side of the house. There is a small flight of stairs down to a level area. The entrance to the deck is at the front of the house (southeast) and a gravel drive runs along the flat parcel at the level of the deck. We're going to dig out the eroding embankment there and put in a small retaining wall. There is lattice covering the underneath of the deck. There is a stump of a dogwood tree next to the stairs, on the right as you look at the house. The dark object on the left side of the stairs is my compost/worm bin (it can't decide which it is.)

This is a full sun location in the summer until nearly 3pm, when the sun finally gets far enough past the house to put the areas closest to the house in some shade. The area further from the house continues to be in full sun until sunset.

I used to have my vegetable garden in the flat parcel area but this year my neighbor informed me I was "over the line" by three feet (I didn't know this, I knew I was close, though - I was after the full sun!) and so the growing area is now too small for my farm - I have moved the farm to the full-sun embankment behind the house.

So I need ideas for sprucing up the actual face of the house with plants of some sort. And I need ideas for the flat parcel below the deck! What would you plant?

Get creative gang! Thanks!

-Regina

{{gwi:1283784}}

{{gwi:1283786}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH