SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smjorg_garden

failed garden! Need help!

smjorg-garden
15 years ago

I have used planting boxes for gardening for years, and already had 2 large boxes in my garden (5x20 and 5x25). In past years they were filled with compost/top soil, and LOTS of weeds. I ws so tired of the weeds, my husband and I dug out all the soil (this was a huge job!), and filled them with Mel's mix soil. We used Gardner and Bloom compost, peat moss and merdium vermiculite (couldn't find coarse) in equal amounts and mixed it thoroughly before adding. This was a big expense to do, but I was excited for the outcome.

I planted seeds and plants exactly as the book says - the same ones I've used with great success for years, and waited. And waited...and waited...and waited. My first tomatoes and peppers died - I though from cold, but now I wonder. I replanted, and was still waiting for the seeds to come up. It was a cold spring, so I thought that was the delay.

They did finally sprout, but very weakly. I have never seen a garden like mine. It was so sad. Everything was spindly, with VERY little growth. I'm talking 1/2 inch tall beets (after months), one stalk 12 inches tall with 1 tiny tomato per tomato plant. Lettuce that went to seed before it got over 2 inches tall, squash and cucumbers that never grew beyond about a 3 inch plant. I have never seen zucchini not grow!!!

The only thing that grew was my peas and beans. This leads me to think that my soil had no nitrogen. I am certainly no expert, but if I remember right, legumes fix nitrogen and don't require as much in the soil. Nitrogen also leads to green growth - of which I had none.

I need some opinions as to what went wrong, and more important, what to do to fix it.

I fertilized, to no avail. I basically gave up on the entire garden this year. My crop was some peas and beans. I am usually the person who has more produce than they can possibly eat. This has been awful -and very depressing considering all the work and money we spent.

Let me know what I should do to prepare the beds for the fall, and add a lot of nitrogen. I've even considered planting something like an annual clover or other cover crop to add nitrogen to the soil over the winter. I don't know if that is something that would work in the boxes and this soil or not.

I'm also wondering if something else very bad is happening in my garden - I have beautiful raspberry plants that have fruited so well for 5 years. The canes are dying this fall and I don't know why. Do I just have some evil garden curse this year - are these two things related???

Thanks in advance for the info.

Michelle

Comments (5)

Sponsored