SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medontdo

OT: 9/06/ what's everyone up to??? :'}

medontdo
15 years ago

well, where is everyone?? everyone left!! its only saturday!! LOL

has anyone planted anything new?? gotten any new foods from the garden??

hurry back angela!! we miss you!!

what ya up to granny??

eg??

holly??

carolyn??

~Medo

Comments (65)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Angela - you don't know what "rolling a yard means?" Oh No! You missed out when you were young. Does anybody else know what it means? If not, then I will be happy to educate you....it's a blast!!!! I've done it every fall, for the last 25 years. Oh...and I can see why your name is Angelady, you must like angels alot!

Medo - The bench photo will be making it's presence very soon. Speaking of photos, look at this photo I took this morning...ain't she a cutie?

Granny - well said....I couldn't have said it any better. So...have you decided on the geographical location of that bench yet?

EG

Here is a link that might be useful:

• laura729
    15 years ago

Good gosh...step away from the computer for a couple days and look what happens! I had a lot of reading to do. :)

Angelady - I had no idea about Hannah before and I treasure that you've shared this with us! You must know that you've got thoughts, prayers and meditations coming from all parts of the country (or perhaps the world) for Hannah and your family. And a BIG shout-out to Wanda!

It is pretty neat to have a sense of community here in the SFG forum. It matters not that we haven't all met...perhaps one day we'll just have to hold a convention!

Granny - CONGRATS!!! Cute little embryo!! Or I guess she'd be a fetus by now! (I don't really know.) Yay!!

EG - You are obsessed with rolling yards! You bad boy! (Angelady - it means wrapping trees, shrubs, cars, mailboxes, and anything else that stands still with toilet paper. But you know we gardeners wouldn't care...we'd just remove it and put it in the compost heap for the all-important fiber!)

Ok, gotta go. I'm headed to a fundraiser for an animal rescue league that a friend of mine is really involved in. It's a karaoke party...haven't yet decided if I'm gonna sing. I can, in the right setting, sing relatively well but I'm no diva. More later!

YAY!! :)

• Related Discussions

journal 9-28-06

Q

Comments (6)
    Krista, You mentioned low pay by UPS...I'd always heard they pay quite well. One of my son's best friends now drives a big UPS truck...not the daily local around-town type. He left construction work and was thrilled to start at UPS...I believe it was a nightshift loading job at first...he's worked his way up over several years. UPS has a good reputation around here as a fair and good employer...might depend on the local manager or what else is available, though. Glad you survived "boot camp"...you're a tough lady to be balancing all you do. josh
    ...See More

OT : POTD: Wishing everyone a wonderful Labor Day Weekend

Q

Comments (12)
    Dorothy, to show how much I love my sunshine, I can come up with many ways to display her favorite flower :-) Ann I hope my wishing that your day is going to be FUN and without stress at work, helped. Or? Caren I had to LOL...I had to have a BBQ grill...and I am just not cooking much or BIG these days anymore :-( Ingrid you show me over and over again how much joy our angels bring to us!!! Brenda that is all I want to do...bring joy with what I do. Just what you do brings this loved feeling to the newbies and US. Hugs and thanks to all Lucy
    ...See More

OT: MeyerMike this ones for you and everyone too :)

Q

Comments (16)
    Hey Mike..... Sometimes they do so well because many of the workers forget about them, kind of a two edge sword. When I see them at Lowe's, they are usually neglected for days on end without a drink of water, almost wilted, then watered again. Those in the nurseries adapt much better and usually respond very well right away. Those we take home, well....They are either on the decline already and we just don't notice it until weeks or days later. Add to that the extreme change in care, light and environmental factors. Have you ever notice that once you change up the environment on most plants, it takes quite awhile for them to drink until they adjust to our care? Have you ever notice those brought inside after a long summer outdoors take forever to dry out? Roots shut down until they adjust. I would use 1/2 cup of 3%, you know the kind you buy at the supermarket and water..Make just enough for each plant and water. You will notice a lot os bubbles. Mike
    ...See More

What is everyone up to? Are you ready?

Q

Comments (24)
    I feel very fortunate that working in higher education, it's easy to take the full 2 weeks off for the holiday season, which I did starting last Friday :). I'm also blessed to be at the life stage of no longer having young kids, or even kids at home so life is a lot more relaxed for me than for many others. I've got a few more little gifts to wrap and today will make a grocery store run to pick up some last minute things. Also need to get to Omaha Steaks to get my son's fiancee her gift (a selection of yummy frozen stuff she can heat n eat; that girl works way too hard and doesn't take care of herself). Later I'm going to roast shrimp for the shrimp cocktail and make a key lime pie, Need to tidy up the patio, which is where we will be eating-it's easier to have 12 people there than jammed into my small dining room. We are doing a somewhat modified holiday this year; in the past we would go to my MIL for her Xmas Eve celebration, then my family for Xmas day. MIL went into assisted living a few months ago, and my stepmother has family visiting plus some other family drama/hijinks, so this season we will host my husband's side including MIL on Christmas Eve and then there is nothing planned for Christmas Day. I'm actually anticipating that-maybe I'll go see one of the movies that are opening and do Chinese takeout, just because I can. Anyway, things feel pretty calm this year, unlike most although my daughter posted this video and every time I watch it, I crack up...as I commented to her I resemble that remark!
    ...See More
  • medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG!!! that would be so fun!! my neighbor lady's grandkids do that to her yard every year!! LOL my hubs would have a friggen moose if someone did that to our yard!! LOL i'd laugh!! i'd say, ohhhhhhh compost!!! WOOO HOOO!!!! LOL he's say "your nuts"!!!! and not laugh!!
    dang tightwad LOL i think its that prison!! i want to find his funny bone, and stick it in there somewhere, do you think i can install one?? kinda like vista or xp?? i wonder if it has to be the right one?? like home entertainment or security or something like that?? LOL hmmmm.....
    today i just harvested a BUNCH of petunia seeds and bells of ireland seeds. man the bells of ireland are sticky. the stems of the plant. i am so anxious to get these seeds out!! WOO HOO!! LOL
    i should be working on them now! but i'm on here and procrastinating and "making" dinner!! LOL i will when the hubs goes to work! he bought me a WHOLE role of stamps!! that sweetie of mine!! he knows the way to my heart!! LOL
    ~Medo

• laura729
    15 years ago

I'm back from the karaoke party. I didn't sing. Was tempted to, though. There were a couple of folks who sang about Texas and I was tempted to put in some Tennessee representation...ROCKY TOP! (I was raised in TN.) But...I just wasn't feeling it tonight. I used to karaoke all the time when I lived in SF but the place where I liked to do that had a very *wide* range of talents and I was comfortably in the middle. This party had some very strong singers. Anyhoo...good for them. :)

We oughta do some sort of informal "convention." But you know it'd have to be in the winter when most of us aren't growing much! (Oh shoot, now I have to back my way out of this because I sure don't want to be the one to organize it!)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, I have two good spots for that bench, so I'd better wish for two! Here's the spot in AZ (another area I renovated last winter, and the final walkway I built).

{{gwi:1284931}}

And here is my "ugly place" up here, the unused dog kennel. By next year I invision it with peas and pole beans making a shady arbor, some pots of impatiens for color, something attractive on the ground (mulch, stepping stones?) a place to sit and watch my gardens grow. A planter bench would be nice here.

Laura, wouldn't it be fun to all get together? Too bad gas prices and air fare are so darned high. And we're expecting the baby in about 5 weeks, although I don't know if daughter will hold out that long...she's HUGE and the baby already weighed nearly six pounds when that shot was taken last week!

Holly, you can send those cucumbers up here to me and you won't have to fool with them *g*. Next year I'm going to plant picklers!

EG, I had to cut a watermelon today, so I took pictures for ya:

{{gwi:1284933}}

I was trying to divide my fruit bowl into thirds, so I Scotch taped three plastic lids together as a divider. It worked!

{{gwi:1284934}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Granny's Blog

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - Where did you get that cage? The WWE? I saw the Undertaker and Mick Foley fight in one just like that. Lol
    That's a whopper! Man...you could grow all kinds of beans in there.
    The AZ location looks like the best spot for the bench. Notice I said bench....as in singular - not plural! Hee hee
    Mine will be finished this next week. I ran out of materials today, or it would have been completed already. Anyway, my wife told me I've done a good job on it so far....That's a miracle! However....she did tell me that I put it in the wrong spot out in the yard....Figures....

Cutting a melon that way just looks weird...but then again, i'm weird! I'll try it the next time I cut one. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways, with your detailed photos. lol. You rock, granny. BTW, where did you get those melons? They look great! Since we're talking about melons...Ok! Holly and others....real melons...not the ones that you're thinking about! Anyway..these little sugar babies just aren't worth the effort, in my opinion. Next year, i'm planning on growing some that get around 20 lbs. I'll have to tie those to the top trellis supports, though. Heck, I may even try some pumpkins!

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Just popping in to say hello to everyone. Wow - I am soooooooo out of the loop! Been busy with daughter and friends visiting, back to school, yada yada.

Maureen

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ya, yer only sooooo missing!! and eg was suppposed to find you!! LOL darned men!! LOL ((shhhhhh don't tell him i said that LOL))
    ya know granny, they make bowls to do that, i mean that separate the food already, well my mom has them. LOL well, heck i think the woman has everything!! LOL
    and if she don't lord knows' she's gonna go get it, me, now i'm a little different. i have to do things the old way!! LOL i like to make my own laundry soap, and the rinse. its soooooo much cheaper!! i like to do all the things cheaper!! i tried to make my dishwashing soap, but i have hard water and the dishwasher didn't do so good. so i have to find the castele soap and then i'm gonna try it again. LOL
    ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, that is a 20 pound melon from a field about a mile from me. Sweetest watermelons and cantaloupe to be found! I might try growing some next year. The spot that used to be my melon patch is now shaded by a volunteer mulberry tree and lilacs, so it probably won't be useful for anything more than a place to store compost. I don't kow if I want to geive up the space in the regular garden...can't trellis those 20-pound babies!

That dog kennel is the one we bought for $200 when we first got the puppies. (BTW, you have a gorgeous pup!) We wanted a safe place for them to play, as our back yard was not puppy-proof, thanks to a next door neighbor who will not fix his dilapidated fence. We put in a pet door, fenced off a portion of our patio, made an entrance into the kennel and...they refused to go in there. Just to get it out of the way, we moved it to the corner of the garden and I use it as an entrance into the fenced area. I peeled back the south side for full access to that garden area, and then peeled back 4' of the west side to gain entrance to the new garden. Puppies cannot get in unless I let them in through the gate. I'm building a box on the west side for pole beans, which I hope will climb up and then over the top onto rope I have strung across. On the east side will be a box for peas, which should be shaded from the hot afternoon sun by the pole beans. Inside on each side, east and west, will be boxes or containers for lettuce, which will also be shaded, and some shade loving flowers for my enjoyment. And a bench. Probably the one that is already in there, reconditioned.

I ended up puppy-proofing the back yard myself. I donned a shower cap for head protection, long sleeved windbreaker, long pants and gloves. I had to crawl behind our wall of arborvitae with a roll of chicken wire and a staple gun. The trees were right up against the fence, so it was quite a chore to work in there. Fun, huh? But it worked, my puppies are safe now.

msyoohoo...glad to see you back!

Where IS Carolyn????

Granny

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Laura - You go, girl! I know you rocked the house with your singing. Don't be shy... tell us all about it! It was for a great cause, too. Awesome!

Medo - I know! Our new house in the "better neighborhood" has been papered twice in the 3 years we've lived here! You can hardly get it out of the trees or what have you. I had the spray house up at my trees for a few weeks and all I got was soggy paper in my trees. They must 'a used the good stuff, huh, EG? Charmin or something? grrrrrr

EG - You can forget Hannah coming over for lessons after all, young man!.... Well, unless it's to show her how to build something for the house or the garden that doesn't contain the word "roll" in it.... hahahaha

Medo - Girl, those "Bells of Ireland" are cool! Perty please save me a tiny few.... :-)

Laura -

1. I just read your post that you didn't sing after all. I do understand, especially when the talent is on the higher levels... makes you feel like you can't compete. I'm sure you could, tho, but I understand how it makes ya feel. Have you ever tried SingSnap.com? It's way cool. Our family has spent numerous friday nights singing with the kiddos into the mike as a family there. It'll be some nice memories if I can figure out how to save the recordings. LOL

2. Sorry, girlfriend... while you were out, we voted you "the lady" to head up that project. We are awaiting a report back from you and the committee members you select on when and where the convention will be?.... uhhhh... By the way... I'm kind of busy so I won't be able to join you on that committee in case you were wondering.... LOL

Granny - Cool! You are so creative! The fruit bowl turned out totally delish (pronounced Duh-lish *please note that it doesn't rhyme with relish*, short for delicious)! I'm gonna remember that trick next time I need that same look!

EG - You aren't seriously gonna trellis 20 lb. melons are ya? I know you like trellises and all, but you're plum crazy to try that, my friend. LOL... ok, now I double dog dare ya.... hee hee... and, take lots of pics, especially of those melons splatting the ground after falling from the hosiery. LOL heehee... funny, but just joking, k, EG? You still gonna be my friend? LOL

MAUREEN! Welcome back yoohooo yada yada... hee hee... yep, that back to school stuff is suppose to give us moms more time that don't homeschool yet. Somehow it doesn't seem to work out that way, though, does it?

Carolyn, oh Carolyn... where art thou, Carolyn???? :-)

I know Duhast is out showing off his "circles". hee hee...

~Angela

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - Yep, my puppy is a real cutie! I was spraying BT on the cabbage yesterday, and she pulled an entire plant out of the ground! Little stinker.... You gotta love the mischief!

Angela - ok....I can show Hannah how to build a catapult, or even a homemade flamethrower...How about that? No? Aw man....Oh, and for the record - I never rolled anyone's yard unless it was gonna rain the next day! What a huge mess it made. Hee Hee

Medo - You make your own laundry detergent? That's quite interesting....Sorry about not doing my job properly....Anyway, she made it back!

Maureen - All right "stick" lady..hee hee. You're gonna have to be just a little more attentive. Lol. Glad you dropped by.

EG

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Laura - you bet! I'm growing some whoppers this next year! Not gonna be using the knee highs though. Instead, i'll go with the bird netting. Oh boy!!! I can't wait to see the driversby gawking at that! Yep, you're one of my many friends on here!!!

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Oooooh...I'm so sick today :-( I was up all night throwing up and having awful stomach cramps (and the big D that comes with them). Daughter is calling others who attended the shower, as my granddaughter also came down with it. We have narrowed it down to celery sticks and baby carrots that were purchased as a tray. I'm going back to bed, as I don't think my coffee is going to stay down if I stay up.

TTYL

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - So sorry for your illness....I hope you get well soon. The big "D" sux big time! Aw man, I've had it so bad - that I thought I was gonna hafta take a fire extinguisher to the bathroom with me! :-( Anyway....hope you feel better soon.

EG

• crystabel
    15 years ago

Angela I'm so happy for your daughter! I love that you gave glory to Jesus for it! :)

• crystabel
    15 years ago

You all have been so busy! I've been AFK a week or so, but glad to see things going along as great as ever! I feel so behind though!

Granny - so sorry to hear you are sick. Rest up and feel better soon.

What have I been up to? I've been busy for the past week just trying to get things done! Painted the family room, did a marathon deep house cleaning last week, planted more veggies! Did some horseback riding with my son which was a ton of fun. Saturday we went canoeing and did a 4 hour trip in 2 hours and 45 minutes. We were cruising! Baked bread, made butter and made cookie dough ice cream (and some cookies too!). Just busy life stuff!
    If you didn't see out in the posts, I have corn growing! I'm thrilled about that and can't wait to harvest it.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Man, it's hard to sleep with two doxies standing on my body, staring me in the face, wondering why we are still in bed at noon. Annie had to lick my face every few minutes, I guess to see if I was still alive ;-)

I'm up drinking tea now, still not feeling 100%. So far there are now three of us that got sick, and it still points to the veggie tray. I've asked my daughter to call everyone who was there, because if there was listeria contamination it should be brought to the attention of the health department. I think there was a recall on alfalfa sprouts this week, for just such a contamination. More reason for us to grow our own, huh?

Granny

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok granny, this is gross, but down 2T of apple cider vinegar, i did that when i started getting sick from some really bad crab salad, and on the way home i started feeling it in my tummy so u know what was next, we had over 80 miles to go, and i was thinking rest area's aint gonna get it!! LOL
    so i downed a bunch of that stuff. well i belched alot and layed down, and befor ya know it, that bad feeling was gone, see, i tell everyoone that vinegar is the absolute sh**!!! GOD made it for a reason!!! LOL i use the white vinegar for my soap and rinse and i tell ya, my kids don't itch like they used to all the time, and that's with me diluteing the regular soap all the way down, so hey!!! LOL
    ummmmm......oh ya, its not bells of ireland, i'm gonna have to take a pic and get it properly identified!!! LOL i looked it up and i thought DUDE i want that!!! LOL
    do ya'll have Pyrostegia venusta i have a friend who wants it really bad, so i looked it up and now i want it sooooo bad now!! LOL
    and i'm one of those who if i know someone wants something i have to find it for them or help them look for it!! LOL yep i'm that terrible!! LOL

ya talla just loves that pup!! she thinks he/she is just sooo cute!! LOL
    ~medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - I've been thinking about your problem, and have the following solutions for you:

1. Go get you some "Jogging in a jug", and drink you a big ol' swaller. There used to be a guy here locally that invented it, had his own corny commercial on tv and everything. I'll never forget those commercials....that guy would say..."Joggin' in a jug...it cleans out yer innards!" The FDA fortunately shut his little operation down, though. Oh! And the number one ingredient was Vinegar, just like Medo said.
    2. Go to your local grocery store, and buy at least 5 different kinds of cereal (Hey, that's kinda like the compost thing)- Anyway, mix a little of all 5 into one bowl - then pour milk over it. I do it all the time, and even have my own name for the concoction. I call it "colon blow". Yep
    3. The last recommendation would be - go to the doctor. Not just any doctor, either! I'm sure there's a good Fartologist in that town you live in! Tell him or her that you've got problems, and can't tend to your garden properly because of it.

Anyway....I hope you get better real soon. hee hee

Medo - I read that email about the guy and his taser. That was funnnnnnny! Ha

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, just READING your post made me all well!

Granny

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MAN that was halarious!! i was laughing so hard i almost pee'd myself!! i just knew he was gonna try that!! then i knew that he wouldn't let go, duhhhh!!! LOL when it comes to electricity ya can never let go!! LOL so i told tabor the joke and was crying i was laughing so hard!! LOL some guys!!! LOL ok we got family pics done, here they are, but don't laugh!!! LOL
    {{gwi:1284943}} ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Medo - what a great picture! I wish my family would get together and have one made like that!

Granny - I'm glad my post made you feel better! You can never tell what i'm gonna come up with...hee hee

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Medo, I LOVE the picture! Your kids are adorable, and the old man ain't half bad, either ;-)

I have a new folder in my Gardening Pictures, called "My Favorite Gardeners". So far I have EG and Spongebob, Angela (I wish that one was bigger, I can hardly see her pretty face), and now Medo & family. I forgot Sinfonian posted one on his blog the other day, I'll have to grab it. Now, where is everyone else?

EG. What can I say? Sometimes it's probably better that I DON'T know what you're going to come up with next, you little poo-poo head.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

That's funny granny...I'm thinking about making a folder like that, and only putting pictures of people's hands in there! You know, kinda like the Mr. H photo, in the cucumber picture! I could call the folder "My gardening friends' hands". What do ya think about that? Pretty flicted, huh? HEE hee

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Alrighty then, here's one for the folder:

{{gwi:1284945}}

Sheesh, you'd a thunk I could have picked up a nicer tomato!

Granny

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks!! that's the first one we ever did, hubs absolutely hates taking pics!! i'm so surprised tabor didn't sneak having the finger in there somewhere, usually when i take a pic of them two, somewhere the little stinker has the finger, LOL i told him one day i'm gonna break it!! LOL he said ya but mom, ya can't catch me!! i said ya BUTTTT tabor, you sleep, mouth wide open and i know where tabasco is!! HEE HEE i LOVE being onery!! he said awww man that rude!! that's ok, i know where the clippers are!! and of course the i know where the is goes on and on!! LOL it can be fun!! now talla, uhhh that girl is twisted!! really bad!! LOL
    i know angela!! we want a bigger pic!! and we want one of your family!! we want to see everyoone!!
    same with eg's and everyone else's!!
    although eg's might be scary with them boy's!! LOL onery little (big) boys!! LOL
    althogh my talla is onery even though she looks as sweet as an angel!! LOL Thank goodness pics are deceiving!!

15 years ago

Oh, Granny, I sure hope you're feeling better now. uggggh

crystabel -

1. Thanks so much for your post! I'm still praising Jesus... lots of phone calls to family and friends letting them know the good news... WoooHooo! Praise you, Jesus!

2. Wow, girl... you were a real good kind of busy! You go!

EG - No doubt about it, you're downright hilarious.... you had me rolling on your advice for Granny... great suggestions! hee hee

Medo - Thanks for sharing that GREAT pic of your gorgeous family! :-)

Granny - I am saving pics of my favorite gardeners, too! I'll see if I have a larger pic for ya. That darn thing is not up to date at all... LOL... I doubt I send a newer pic right away... ;-)

~Angela

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i had to go and download this ccleaner to clear out some old stuff. then i just cleaned out what i dont' need and my pc is like zip zip zip,, its amazing what all these programs put in here that you don't even need. my bother said they put hundreds of backdoor things in here we don't even know about. i'm like what?? LOL ya know, i'm like a real dummy!! LOL ok i found out my flower is a green flowering nicotiana, boo hoo!! LOL that's ok i'll find that bells of ireland thingi, someone will have it!! LOL some genereous soul!! LOL ~Medo

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Taking Granny's advice and joining in, but doing so only to change the subject...sorry guys, I know it's not PC to change the subject on your first OT post, but I hope you'll understand.

A little girl went missing from our neighborhood this afternoon. She and her neighbor are both in elementary school and the neighbor child's mother always watches the little girl get safely into her own house. Apparently either big brother came home or momma came home and couldn't find the child. The house was ransacked. The dog and cat were found LOCKED in the laundry room. The police and all of the neighborhood searched high and low for this little girl. Thank goodness she was found about an hour and a half later in a neighborhood down the road. She has no friends there and is not a wanderer. She's never left her yard before. How she got there is still unclear.

Suppose I just wanted to tell you to hug your children. The boy asked for ice cream and waffles tonight for dinner. He got it. He can have ice cream and waffles every night for the rest of his life if he wants it...ok for the next two nights, but hey, if Waffle House can serve waffles 24 hours a day, so can I.

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

my goodness!! i'm so glad she was found safely!!
    but they came home to a ransacked house, meaning its a good thing the little one was not home??
    yes you should just hug that little one of yours!! but uhhhh not to much ice cream itll rot his guts and make him to sweet, now we don't want that do we?? **onery chuckle** **big grinn**
    i'm glad that you shared with us!! thank you! its always nice to be reminded of how precoius our children are, it reminds me of a email my brother sent me today. about handing our problems to GOD, but it goes on about how lucky we are and when we feel so unlucky. ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Medo, I use CrapCleaner once a week. I guess they don't call it that anymore, just CCleaner. Be sure to have it save the cookies you need for sites you sign in to. I wish I could figure out what cookie this website uses, 'cause every week I have to figure out which posts I have or haven't read! I tried using CC and then only loading this website to see the cookies, but it leaves a bunch, so I can't tell which is the one I need to save. I could do it by process of elimination, I guess. But what a pain!

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Oh, ribbit! How scary! Will anyone ever feel safe in that house again?

When I was a young widow with two babies, I worked nights so I could be with my children during the daytime, while they were awake and needed a mommy. I would lay down and take an afternoon nap with them each day, and one day the older boy (3 years old), managed to pull a chair up to the front door and unhook the chain lock. I discovered him missing when I woke up, and called the police and notified all the neighbors. He was found about an hour later, nearly a mile away, walking along the railroad tracks NEXT TO THE RIVER! He was naked, carrying his sun suit, because he had GONE WADING IN THE RIVER! OMG, I don't think I slept again the rest of that year...the fear of what might have happened to my baby over my carelessness was almost more than I could bear!

Yes, hug your babies closely.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Aw man, that would be disturbing. There are some sick people out there. I hope nothing bad happened. That story just makes me wanna walk around the yard toting my shotgun..more than I already do. You can bet your @$$ if any stranger pulls up into my driveway, there's a whole lot of safer places for them to be....Anyway...I hope everything turns out ok.

On a more cheerful note....The bench/planter is finished! Yay! All it needs now is staining.

Angela - somebody has to give granny a hard time....I guess i'm pretty qualified. lol

Medo - I'm glad that your pc is finally cooperating. Mine's kinda freaking out right now as well. That's ok....I've got the ultimate cure for it - in about a month or two. No glitch or virus can escape the "re-format". About the picture of my family.....if I could get my boys to do something as subtle as "the finger" in it...i'd probably be ok with it....BUT, as you already know....they would probably do MUCH worse than that, as history shows. I can't take them anywhere together....lol

EG

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

My neighbor just came over and filled in some blanks. The girl's father works nights and the girl comes home and kisses her father. However today when she came in and kicked off her shoes and dropped her bookbag she turned around and there was a man in the living room. He came after her and the dog after him. She says he dragged her up the street and into the next neighborhood and into the woods when they heard a sound. He dropped her and ran. Her shirt was torn, she was in her socks and she had a knot on her head. However.....

The cops think she fabricated the whole thing. I know kids have imaginations, but a 7 yr old girl who is a teeny tiny thing at that didn't knock over a recliner, break a vase, topple over chairs in the dining room then go lock the dog and cat in the laundry room, knock herself on the head hard enough to made a knot, rip her shirt and then walk a mile or more down the road in her stocking feet in the ten minutes it took for her mother to get home.

Sorry. That just doesn't add up.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Hey ribbit, didn't you know 2+2=7?

Ridiculous.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

People are so strange these days...you can never tell what people might do. Shotguns are good!!!!

Granny - So. Here we are. Two weird people, that plant carrots in weird ways. Hmm....In my mind, your way is more weird, and alot more stressful. How so do you ask? Do you have any idea how much torment I would go through, trying to snip the right seedlings - so that the end result would be neat? The police would probably spot me hours later, walking down the highway- wearing nothing more than a pair of flip flops and a dazed look on my face. I would definitely freak out. It would be kinda like giving me a package of powdered water to make....except there wouldn't be anything to add. lol. Yeah.....really. Oh well......I'm weird, but I can cut boards pretty straight.....Woo Doggie!!!

EG

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

no, kids don't make up that kinda thing generally!! and they definately don't make that kinda mess in the house.
    i'm with you eg, shotgun!! being where i've been, if a man/woman so much as touches my child, hell is not something they have to worry about!! my torment will be much worse!!
    take my childs innocense i don't even think so, and they say, ohhh they are young enough, they'll forget, MY A**. it don't happen, so i guard my children. LOL i'm also very picky about who stay's the night here because of the same reason, people saying something like that.
    we were at my dads and we were shooting the breeze about things like this, ok keep in mind my dad is a rev. and his wife is a christian, my dad also conducts a train, now that being said,we were talking about this guy who had just been caught and he had raped a little 7 or 8 year old girl, so susie and i were talking about that and what we would do, she told us what she would do, OMG our mouths dropped all the way to the friggen floor i know it had too!! LOL
    i was totally amazed. i mean i knew she had a mean streak, i mean step mom and all, but still. LOL WHEW!! yep, i wouldnt want on her bad side!! nope!! i'm twisted but she puts me to shame!! LOL ummm....not LOL

EG YAY you finished, now your just waitin on the wifey eh?? LOL now aint that the thing?? LOL
    i tease hubs cuz ya know generally guys are always waiting on woman. well, in most cases we wait on him, ummmm...he has that ibs. irritable bowel syndrom, but its because of his thyroid. and so i tease him that ohhhh no we have to wait on you, your the female!! WOOO HOOO!!!! LOL **big grinn** i get the finger!! LOL
    tomarow after the kids get done with their work i'm going out to work on that gh. see how we can get it done!! LOL
    have a great night!! see ya in the morning!! ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, with the kleenex method there is NO snipping, NO thinning, because every seed is glued exactly 2" from the next. The only problem is if I don't get 100% germination, I have a (GASP!) space! I hatses spaces!

Granny

15 years ago

Ribbit -

1. Welcome to OT! Don't worry about changing the topic as it was still on topic because our topic's name is off topic.... hahahaha...

2. I agree totally about watching your kids and giving 'em hugs and kisses and waffles and ice cream all they want. :-) Okay, maybe not all they want... Well, I spent the evening fighting with my kids, then my husband, so I do need to remind myself how much I need to just enjoy them. I was so upset, I almost didn't log in here at all.

Well, I'm tired so I'm heading to bed now. I'll catch up with you OT crazies tomorrow. I need a little more wind under my sails to be able to deal with all that needs done around here. If these kids and husband of mine just didn't throw a wrench into my day, how much I could get done! LOL

~Angela

• laura729
    15 years ago

Ribbitt - WOW. I'm with you about the child making it up. I don't think she did.

EG and Granny - I s'pose I could try to find it either in this thread or your blogs, but to what carrot methods are you referring? I just planted some seedlings I started and haven't fully thinned them yet. Kleenex method??

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - I've been pondering about the "being nice" comment on your blog. So, I have come to the following conclusion:
    1. I think that if I had to choose between being called "poopy head" versus "whippersnapper" - I would choose "poopy head". It's hard to explain, but I just can't get enough of it. Now that I think of it, I may even change my blog name to "The pooper scooping adventures of Mr. Poopy Head", with his sidekicks - cat and dog...How do you like them apples? And about the carrot seed planting thingy - all I have to say is "KMART, definitely KMART....400 Oak Street...Cincinatti...Yeah...."

Laura - the great carrot controversy can be found at the bottom of the page....just follow the link.

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: toward the bottom of the page

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Laura, I posted my "experiments" with carrots in my blog, direct link below.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: September 7, 2008: Maybe I Need to Get a Life?

• crystabel
    15 years ago

Granny, is that photoalbum folder on your blog or just private on your computer? I was looking for your gardening friends pics on your site but couldn't find them. I love looking through pics!!

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Crystabel, it's just a folder on my computer with 3 pictures in it that I got from this website. I wouldn't dare start posting their pictures on my blog, I'd get killed!

Granny

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Sooo sorry medo! On more than one level, too, lol. I just got the envelope I sent you back in the mail. I have resent it: I messed up your address. School is so involving this year, so, I've cut back on some other things.
    Granny! So sorry to hear you're not well. Hope you feel better.
    How're things for everybody?
    Carolyn P.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Carolynp....

Well, missy. It's about time you showed up! I was about ready to send the garden posse after you ;-)

I'm feeling fine now, thank you for caring.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be away from this forum for a day or two. I'll be back, though.

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I'm glad to hear it Granny!
    Ribbit: I'm not sure we've ever been pc, unless we're talking personal computer.
    I also want to mention that even though a kid that age probably wouldn't make something like that up, many kids that age will create a story that helps them cope with extremely traumatic events. That is to say, let's say the "guy" who nabbed her was a close friend of the family (which statistically, it will be), I've read of kids who will entirely erase the person who actually did it from their memory and insert someone else. Does that make sense? In the kids mind, they get to keep their fond memories of the perp AND get to blame the event on someone they are sure the cops can't find because he doesn't exist. I have a 7yo at my place, and he wouldn't really understand the concept of being abducted, so no doubt about it, something is going on there. The cops will find out. They're actually pretty good at this kind of thing.

15 years ago

We'll miss you EG... I want you to congratulate me on my perty female cantaloupe flowers, so hurry back! hee hee

I really can do this gardening thing! I really won't kill everything I try to grow! WooooooooooHoooooooo!

Welcome back, Carolyn! You were sure missed, girl! I'll have to add my break in to the mix, though. I probably won't be checking in much at all until this weekend, so I'm taking a couple day break myself. I have to get caught up with my gardening work and housework... I guess the playing can come after the hard work is done as I would like the kids to do, so it's best that I set the example. ugggggh

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Oh, wow...what are we going to do here in the party room if everyone is taking a break? Does that mean I'll have to take a couple of days off to do....to do.....(I can say it, I know I can say it...) h-h-h-housework?

I did get another whole yard of cow poop today, and a yard of bark mulch, and I (we...Mr. H helped) got the final bed built. And I got 2x10s for it! Woo-Hoo!!! And the Mr. said "Too bad we didn't get them all like that." HAH! We might make a convert out of him yet! Anyway, I also found the boards to use for cross bars on the raspberry bed, so I must get those cut and screwed on. And then all the new stuff needs to be painted, because that's just the way I am :-)

I am having an entire dinner from my garden tonight, except for the olive oil, salt & pepper! Mr. H had a couple of grilled brats with his, but all I ate were baby beets (my first of the year, sweet as sugar), beet greens and chopped onion sauteed in olive oil, steamed green beans and crookneck squash and cherry tomatoes. Oh, Mr. H also had sliced cukes...I just do not like them.

Mr. Poopyhead and Angela, hurry back, OK?

Granny

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH