SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfb123_gw

Fall swap: some thoughts for the Suggestion Box

cfb123
17 years ago

Hi there, Jeff:

I've been sitting back, reading all the posts made since the swap and have wanted to dive in a few times to make what I felt were "constructive criticism" comments, however thought I shouldn't, because I was not involved in planning the swap nor was I a volunteer during the event. And more importantly, I did not in any way want you to think I was pointing a finger at YOU, Lavonne or anyone else who gave so freely of their time & effort before, during and after the swap.

However.your post, and then Evelyn's, under "Plant Thieves" has prompted me to come out of the garden *grin* and just say what's been on my mind!

Let me mention that this swap was my 6th. Now, maybe I'm not an "old timer" like many others, but I do believe I've participated in enough of them so that I can be called a junior member.

So, here's what I'd like to put in the Suggestion Box for the fall swap:

First and foremost, I do not see any reason to advertise and/or mention in any way, shape or form the swap in the mediaÂnewspaper, radio, whatever. A few folks have also said this here on the forum, as did many of the "seasoned" swappers sitting near my table who were shaking their heads in disbelief and were saying to me and others "we miss the 'old' swap!!" as the hoards descended upon us.

Jeff, I do believe that the swap's great appeal was and will continue to be centered around the fact that those of us who participate LOOK FORWARD to the wonderful quality of not only the plants that are being made available, but of course to the quality of the swappers / garden-addicts attending (and pleaseÂI'm not trying to imply I'm a garden-snob).

Three of the big factors that make me look forward to participating in each swap are:

A) the wonderful group of people who will be participating

B) the kinds of plants available

C) the REASONABLE SIZE of the crowd

I must say that not just myself, but also my friend who accompanied me and a LOT of the other folks seated in our vicinity clearly disliked the big crowd. I hate crowds, no matter what the event, and I can assure you the fall swap will be my last unless the ambiance that normally permeates the event returns. Now, this being said, maybe no one will give a hoot if I do or don't ever attend again. OK. I understand.

But I am positive I was not the only one who was aghast at the size of the turn-out. Forget about all the faux pas that were happening left & right! I knew that there was something horribly amiss and figured that some kind of "false" advertising had prompted many of the people to show up and to act the way they did. So to that I say, heyÂjust chalk it all up to an important learning curve.

However, even if all the folks who showed up were ready to trade & swap the way the event was meant to beÂBIGGER IS NOT NECESSARILY BETTER.

I strongly feel the only "advertising" that should be done for the swap be done via this GardenWeb forum and word-of-mouth. Period. Then again, maybe some of you do think that the swaps would be even better if attendance were greatly increased.

Anyhoo Jeff, if there is ONE THING that I would BEG for you to keep in mind while planning the fall swapÂ.please let it be "no advertising" other than this forum! Let those of us who come here be the ones to encourage / invite like-minded folks to participate.

I'll shut up now :-)

Claudia

P.S. And yes sirÂplease put me on your list of willing volunteers

Comments (21)

Sponsored