SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taunya_gw

Flavor -- Acid Sweet Fruity -- Golden Gem Hybrid from Park's

taunya
15 years ago

I grew a lot of tomato plants last year, and several varieties. I don't think I planned well! The only one I liked much was Golden Gem Hybrid from Park's Seed. I also ended up with just early and mid-season tomatoes, except Golden Gem Hybrid, which just kept going.

I am trying to learn about varieties and make a plan. The most perplexing subject is taste. Granted, it partly depends upon soil-- I have Linker soil, a sandy loam in NW Arkansas. I can take some tests and amend it to recommendations for tomatoes. Even so, tomato flavor is not exactly consistently described. Great tasting, delicious, wonderful, etc. After reading some about this, I have concluded that "great" taste is a matter of personal preference, which probably changes over time, just as taste for all foods does, depending partly upon what soil bacteria one is exposed to at various times, etc.

So, my question is whether there is any objective way to describe tomato flavor. Golden Gem Hybrid is described by Park this way: "The sugar content is a whopping 10%, making this one of the sweetest Cherries ever grown. Yet the flavor is far more than merely sweet; it has a rich, fruity bite that is more substantial than you'd expect from such a small fruit." So, we have "sweetest" and "bite." That seems right to me. It is sweet, but I don't think I like most sweet tomatoes. They seem bland. How to describe the "fruity" flavor....I have no idea what that means.

So, I am thinking, maybe what I am looking for is a tomato with high acid and high sugar, both, with maybe a little more sweetness than acid.

I found the (Ohio I think) table that reports pH (acid) and brix (sweet) for a lot of varieties. I looked for tomatoes with low pH and high Brix, and came up with a few to try this year. I have also noticed that some tomatoes are described as having a "good blend of acid and sweet." Maybe those fit the bill for me. And some are described as fruity. I have come up with these:

Bloody Butcher (OP)

Red Rocket

Dona

Sweet Chelsea VFNT Hybrid

Legend

Carmello (OP)

Celebrity VFFNTA Hybrid

Sioux

Golden Gem Hybrid

Lemon Boy VFN Hybrid

Green Zebra

Dr. Carolyn (OP)

Tomato Better Boy Hybrid

Yellow Pear

Black Russians

Boondocks

Burpee's Supersteak VFN Hybrid

Jubilee

Royal Hillbilly

Arkansas Traveler

Cherokee Purple (OP)

Brandywine OTV (OP)

I decided to post to the forum, hoping that someone could tell me whether this makes sense, or would know of any resources that measure any of the compounds that make up flavor in tomatoes. It seems like we should be able to describe tomato taste in a better way that just "great."

I also wonder whether anyone can point out some varieties, any sizes, colors, or seasons, that might have flavor a little like the Golden Gem Hybrid, sweet with a bite, that might seem "great" to someone with taste bud responses like mine.

PS... I know I sound nutty, but this stuff is interesting to me. I majored in Hort at Iowa State back in the day, and then did something else for work. I love gardens, but haven't always had time for them. I do grow some of the Buck roses--GB was a beloved Prof.

~T

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions