SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwstell42

Advice on Bed Sizes

jwstell42
15 years ago

Well here's the story. I have been searching and searching for material to make Raised Beds for next years garden (currently a traditional garden), attempting to not have to spend a fortune (i.e. Cedar), but at the same time trying to stay away from Pressure Treated.

Last week I had finally caved and just decided to build Pressure Treated beds, and the day before I went to buy the lumber, somebody posted on craigslist that they had 4 raised beds for sale, made out of recycled plastic 6X6 timbers!!! I was so excited that I e-mailed them about 8 times to be sure I was the first one to get it.

Anyway, I'm picking up the first of the beds this weekend. My question is as follows:

I had originally planned on making 6 4X8 beds, 12 inches high. The beds I bought, 2 are 4X8, 2 are 8X8.

I "can" split some of the 8 foot lumber down to 4 feet, to build 4 X 8 beds instead of the 8X8, however that would leave me 4 timbers short of 6 beds. I may have to substitute pressure treated 6X6 to completed those beds.

What would you guys do? Are there things I could grow in the 8X8 beds that wouldn't require me getting in the beds to harvest? Should I bite the bullet and attempt to construct one of the beds out of a mix of PT and the recycled plastic?

I'm torn!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County