SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
username_5

Cubed Foot Gardening. Worst book ever?

username_5
17 years ago

Not sure if any of you have read 'Cubed Foot Gardening' by Christopher Bird.

I just read it and I think I am going to ask Amazon.com for a refund.

There is nothing new in this 'method'. If you have read Square Foot Gardening you have read everything worth reading in this book.

The only thing 'unique' is that the method uses 2x12 lumber. That's it.

That makes the book worthless, but what puts it into negative value territory is the bad information and rudely stated personal biases.

The author clearly despises organic methods as he briefly discusses how ineffective organic methods are every few pages.

He frequently makes odd sounding claims and prefaces them with something like 'While I have no scientific evidence to support this...' and then apparently thinks his claims will be accepted based upon his having written a book.

His stated preference is for 2x12 lumber in bed construction, which is fine, but then he spends time explaining why arsenic treated wood is the best choice. He comes over like those who wish to stay away from unnecessary exposure to strongly toxic substances in their veggy garden are sissies. His statement was that he is the kind of guy who still 'eats his beef medium rare'. Neat?

He refers to anyone who disagrees with his apparent love affair with toxins as an 'organic purist' (these are BAD people).

He suggested, but didn't harp on, adopting the practice of spraying everything with a broad spectrum insecticide (needed or not) *every 2 weeks* and then went on to tell how extensively he has researched and the chemicals are perfectly safe to eat.

I honestly don't think I have ever read a gardening book this bad. I have read plenty that really didn't convey anything that I hadn't read in someone else's book, but this book not only doesn't cover anything new or unique, but it spends a lot of time praising chemicals and insulting organic gardeners. It even insults gardeners who don't consider themselves organic, but like to stay away from *icides in the veggy garden as much as possible.

To sum up the differences between Cubed Foot Gardening and most any other raised bed, intensive gardening book:

1. Pesticides are good. Use them regularly.

2. 2x12 lumber is better than anything else to make beds with. Untreated is cheap, but pressure treated is better better and 'scientists are unanimous that it is perfectly safe' (yeah, right) and cedar costs $250 for a small bed kit from Gardeners Supply (yes, he bases his 'too expensive' statement on what a kit made of cedar costs from Gardener's Supply Co).

3. Organics is bad. Skip to the good stuff.

4. Soil mix is 1 part sand, 2 parts topsoil (no definition of what topsoil means to him) and 1 part humus.

5. Spacing is different. He allows more space for many plants than Sq Ft Gardening.

That is the full extent of this book's 'contribution' to gardening.

Anyone else read it?

Comments (8)

Sponsored