SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazzthecat_gw

New to SFG, nothing growing well, clueless

9 years ago

Hi all, I've searched for posts about this, but my failure is not specific, more systemic and overwhelming. I've never had a vegetable garden before, but we moved to central California last year, and I set up a square foot garden according to the specifications in Mel's book. I followed directions to the letter, even finding 5 kinds of compost.

I started planting early this spring, as the weather is always perfect, and have continued doggedly planting new squares throughout.

This spring, my sugar snap peas were good, but that is the only success I have had. Nothing in my garden is really GROWING, and I don't know why. I would think I was okay if everything had been planted a month ago, but it's really been MONTHS.

The first corn stalks have topped out at about three feet high. The purchased tomato starts are about one foot, but are at least bearing fruit. The zucchini plant is taking up one pitiful square and only two zucchini have started to form. The pepper plants have looked wilted and pathetic throughout. My sting beans looked promising, but I only picked about twenty beans, then no more have formed.

I figure the problem either has to be the soil or the depth. I used six inch beams, which are really only 5.5" high. Are you all truly successful with only that depth of soil?i followed instructions completely for the soil/Mel's Mix, but should I test it somehow to discover what is lacking?

Every day I got out to water and am profoundly depressed by my failures. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks for any guidance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES