SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomatobaby_gw

2012 Tomato grow list

Tomatobaby
12 years ago

Just read through the 2011 list and just curious what tomatoes people will be growing this year. I've recently started my seeds (for the first time). I got all the seeds from baker creek except for the sungold.

Placero

Mark Bagby

Fox Cherry

Patano Romanesca

Orange banana

Sungold

I also have some seeds I am drying from some tomatoes from Trader Joe's (sugar plums) that I want to plant but haven't had a chance to yet.

I planted the heirlooms 2 weeks ago and the sungold about a week ago. Half of the heirlooms germinated and all the sungolds have germinated by now.

I'll be planting about 15 tomato seeds on my patio garden and a small plot I have at a community farm.

Anyone have any opinions on the varieties I picked? Any other advice on good tomatoes for small spaces? I live in the Los Angeles area.

Comments (83)

• sportsman1
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Repeats
    Lemon Boy
    Saucey
    Beaver Lodge Plum
    Taxi
    Black Krim
    Carbon
    Legend

New trials
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Amana
    Black Plum
    San Marzano
    Gold Medal
    Pruden's Purple
    Winsall

• gardenvt
    12 years ago

I'm growing:
    Big Zac
    Black Prince
    Bloody Butcher
    Cherokee Purple
    Emmy
    Omar's Lebanese
    Paul Robeson
    Rose
    Suncherry
    Sungold
    Sweetie
    Yellow Perfection

I grew "Bloody Butcher" last year and ended up with a delicious yellow/orange tomato that was about 2 oz. I'm hoping to get the same results this year. The place I bought the seeds from had them on special and not carrying them this year.

Tom8olvr - I had 22 varieties last year and it was so wet here in New England that the tomatoes did not do well. I am going to stick with 12 tomatoes and hope for better weather this growing season.

• Related Discussions

2012 snall grow list and looking for your experiences with them..

Q

Comments (3)
    I grew Chervena Chujska a few years ago in a 5 gallon pot. According to my notes, it's a medium flesh sweet Bulgarian heirloom variety. Tapered pods 1.5 - 2 inches at the shoulder and 4 - 6 inches long that matured to a rich reddish brown colour. I got approx. 25 pods off the one plant I grew and used most for roasting. It's on my grow again list but I'm still working through my not-tried-yet seed inventory. Bill
    ...See More

2013 Tomato Grow List

Q

Comments (112)
    Mike, Most beefsteak types are late to set fruit and to mature fruit. Since yours are from volunteer seedlings, you have no idea what is normal for them if you don't remember what variety they are, but it sounds like they are setting fruit late and, thus, it ripens late. Too much horse poop also could mean they are getting too much nitrogen which makes the plants stay vegetative for a long time before they flower and set fruit. If you want fruit earlier, your best bet is to start out with purchased transplants and to choose varieties that mature more quickly than the average beefsteak type. You could plant Early Girl, Bush Early Girl or Better Bush and get fairly early fruit...a couple of months after you put 6-8 week old transplants into the ground. Jetsetter or JetStar would give you fruit a couple of weeks later than those, and most standard hybrids that produce red, roundish tomatoes would give you tomatoes 75-80 days after the transplants are put into the ground. Many beefsteak types, although they produce big, luscious tomatoes, do not produce fruit well in heat and they have DTMs of 80-90 days or more so they always are going to be fairly late. It may just be that in your climate, you still won't get many ripe fruit until fall. It depends on how early you can transplant tomato plants into the ground there. When's your average last freeze date? One problem is that tomato plants mostly stop setting fruit once daytime highs are above 92 and nighttime lows are in the 70s. You have to get your plants into the ground early enough that they set fruit before that happens. They won't start setting many fruit again until the temperatures cool down. That is an issue we face a lot here in OK. Cherry tomatoes or the varieties that produce smallish slicer or salad types like Jaune Flammee' or Fourth of July will set fruit more or less all summer, except in the hottest weather, so they might be a good variety for you. I like Early Girl because not only does she set fruit early, but unlike many other early types that shut down after producing early, Early Girl will go right on setting fruit almost all summer long. Some years it still is setting fruit for me in August when it is ridiculously hot here. Hope this helps, Dawn
    ...See More

2018 Tomato Grow List

Q

Comments (34)
    The Ag Experiment Station in Lubbock included Shady Lady in their tomato trials back in 2007. It was in the bottom 25% for total production and at the bottom for marketable production because of its relatively high %age of fruits with radial cracking. 2007 was an odd year, very cool and wet from March thru June and continued relatively cool but drier thru the remainder of the growing season. At LBB there were no days above 100F and only 62 days got above 85F during the whole growing season, compared to the normal 120-125 days above 85F. I grew one plant in 2010 with a locally grown plant from Ivey Gardens in LBB. It is a large red, round similar in fruit size and plant growth to Celebrity. Celebrity tasted better to me, though Shady Lady gets rave reviews for taste in California. It developed tomato spotted wilt virus pretty quickly and had a shorter production life than either Celebrity or Early Girl. I live in a hotspot for TSWV, in the country 35 miles out of LBB, and since 2010 I have grown only TSWV resistant hybrids. There are just two of us well past 65 and only water and labor for 12 plants and we grow tomatoes mostly for canning and freezing for winter use. Even the TSWV resistant hybrids with crack resistance and heat setting ability taste better than store bought tomatoes . Hope this helps and let us know where you are selling this year in :Lubbock.
    ...See More

2019 Tomato & Pepper grow list - what do you suggest?

Q

Comments (13)
    I'm also in zone 5a, so what has been successful for me may grow well for you. These are my "standards", and the number I planted this year, happily growing under lights: 12 Mortgage Lifter, which is my favorite tomato and might fill the beefsteak spot 12 Great White, a little picky to start but prolific and is my Mother's favorite tomato 6 Pineapple, because they taste good 12 Golden Jubilee, another absolutely dependable and prolific producer here 3 SunSugar, for the 5 kids across the street 24 Rutgers for canning New this year, I do "experimental" plantings annually, just because I like to, LOL 2 Moonglow 2 Pruden's Purple 6 Hillbilly 2 Tasmanian Chocolate (cherry type) 2 Giraffe, supposed to store up to 5 months, we'll see about that... For peppers I agree that King of the North grows well and is big, but I also prefer other "sweet" types in place of the bell peppers. So, my current favorites, and proven successful here: 12 Ajvarski, I love these and they have a wonderful sweet flavor 3 Golden Bell 6 King of the North Hot: 6 Sugar Rush Peach, I've never seen anything so prolific. 12 plants gave me 3 BUSHELS of peppers last year. They aren't habanero hot, but they want to be. When I made relish and ground them in the food processor they smelled just like peaches. Flavor is sweet first, then hot. Plants were 4 feet tall. 3 Early Jalapeno 3 Lemon Drop New to me: 3 Orange Jalapeno 3 Yellow Jalapeno 3 Napoli frying peppers Good luck! I bought a box full of last year's seeds from our local on line auction, I have new varieties to experiment with for a couple of years! Annie
    ...See More
  • cziga
    12 years ago

I'm growing Purple tomatoes this summer, Greens, and BiColours to find my favorites ...

Paste:
    Smokey Mountain
    Opalka

Purple:
    Pruden's Purple
    Cherokee Purple
    Eva Purple Ball
    Purple Calabash
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    Black Bear (if I can find it, might be a black instead of purple??)

Green:
    Cherokee Green
    Absinthe
    Green Zebra
    Green Pineapple
    Moldovan Green
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Malakhitovaya Shkatulka (If I can find it)

BiColour/Striped:
    Ananas Noir
    Striped German
    Pineapple
    Northern Lights
    Hillbilly
    Orange Russian 117
    Berkeley Tie Dye Pink
    Virginia Sweets (if I can find it)
    Oaxacan Jewel
    Tie Dye (trading for)
    Black and Brown Boar (if I can find it)
    Tiger Paw (if I can find it)

Cherry Tomato: Isis Candy (also bicolour)

I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments :)

• legallyheidi
    12 years ago

So far my list for 2012 is:

Malakhitovaya Shkatulka Tomato
    Black Krim Tomatoes
    Rutgers Tomatoes
    Red Cherry Tomatoes
    Little White Rabbit Tomatoes

All are new varieties for me, so I'll probably have to ask questions throughout this season :)

• pumpkins4u
    12 years ago

My list although looking at others I now have to try sungold...

Cherry tomatoes
    Sweet 100 *Repeat love them*
    Sweetie
    Placero
    Black Cherry

Others
    Lemon Boy *Repeat lasted way into the hot summer here and the taste was good and unique*

Golden Monarch (trying to see if I like it better than Lemon Boy and the production levels)

Stupice
    Black krim
    Cherokee Purple
    Reinstraube
    Caro Rich
    Brandywine *Repeat*
    Roma *repeat*

• DannyPizdetz
    12 years ago

Like many of you, I had a miserable year last year with my 12 store bought plants. Out of the 12 plants, I got 6 tomatoes. I put them out too late and the summer just fried them to a crisp. So this year I'm starting out with a super-early crop and trying starting my plants from seed so I can choose some better varieties.

Super-Early
    Early Girl
    Silvery Fir Tree

Early
    Jetstar
    Black Cherry(if I can find someone to trade)
    Anna Russian(if I can find someone to trade)

Main-season
    Rosso Sicilian
    Super Sioux(if I can find someone to trade)

Late
    Cherokee Purple or Arkansas Traveler(if I can find someone to trade)
    Homestead(if I can find someone to trade)

Money has gotten really tight around here, so I've been moving over to mostly heirloom seeds so I can at least collect the seeds at the end of the season.

• euarto_gullible
    12 years ago

Danny, I have Anna Russian, Black Cherry, Super Sioux, Cherokee Purple, and Homestead. I'd be happy to share these seeds with you for a SASBE. Feel free to email me.

• jcrenfrow
    12 years ago

1 Sungold F1
    1 Red Star
    1 Bloody Butcher
    1 Yellow Submarine
    1 Mexico Midget
    2 Rutgers
    2 Siberian Pink Honey
    3 Pink Brandywine
    3 Black from Tula
    3 Stump of the world
    3 Red Barn
    3 Hege German Pink
    3 Tidwell german

• euarto_gullible
    12 years ago

Ananas Noire
    Black Krim
    Brandywine (Sudduth's)
    Chocolate Stripes
    Delicious
    Green Zebra
    Kazachka
    Matina
    Monkey Ass
    Moon Glow
    Old German
    Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge
    Oxheart
    Red Brandywine
    Sandul Moldovan
    Snowberry Cherry
    Spudakee
    Yellow Brandywine

• delaware
    12 years ago

All of your lists are really awe-inspiring!

I haven't gardened for several years so I'm easing back into things with smart pot and only three varieties from Park Seed:

Brandywine
    Tomatoberry
    Container Choice hybrid

Can anyone suggest one more variety that a midsize juict tomato with high acid flavor? Thanks.

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

I have started these;
    Ferris Wheel
    Delicious
    Reif Red Heart
    Black Seaman
    Persimmon
    Russian Persimmon
    Monomakht's Hat
    Brandwine Suddeth
    Eva Purple Ball
    Black Cherry
    Bloody Butcher
    Better Boy
    Moravsky Div
    Fabulous
    Rozalinda
    Rutgers
    Baxter Bush

• kevinitis
    12 years ago

Im scaling back the number of varieties I will grow this year.

Brandywine OTV
    Brandywine suddeths
    Italian heirloom
    black krim
    Neves Azorean Red
    Julia Child
    Marianna's Peace
    Moscow
    Stripped Roman
    Amana Orange
    Red horizon/rostova
    Kimberly
    Trip L crop
    german giant
    cherokee purple

Varieties I grew last year that won't make the cut:

Black
    Paul Robeson
    Dagma's perfection
    Big Rainbow
    Black zebra
    green zebra
    amish paste
    pineapple
    lucky cross
    san marzano
    vintage wine
    elmers old german
    old german
    clint eastwoods roudy red
    bulls heart
    brandywine red
    boxcar willie
    big red
    cherokee green
    costoluto genovese
    persimmon
    azoychka
    mortgage lifter
    and an Unknown black

• jeffwul
    12 years ago

I have to revise mine down to Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, San Marzano. I managed to kill my Brandywines and Isis Candy. Dang overwatered it.

• fresh_tendril
    12 years ago

Every year I'm always disappointed that I don't plant more paste tomatoes. It seems most of my tomatoes go into canning, so I've decided to grow paste types exclusively. So more Opalkas basically. If I want a slicing or beefsteak, I'll buy one from the Farmer's market. But make no mistake, there is nothing wrong with eating an Opalka fresh.

I have a tiny garden, space enough for 5 or 6 plants:

Opalka (3 plants)
    Polish Linguisa (1)
    Margherita (1)
    Speckled Roman (1)

• pz1122
    12 years ago

Great choices everyone!
    This year i am going to be trying a bunch of new varieties along with my usual's.

Here we go:

***(First Time being grown)

Sungold
    Black Cherry
    Fox Cherry ***
    Chadwick cherry ***
    yellow pear
    Black Krim
    Black From Tula ***
    Gary O'Sena
    KBX
    Woodle Orange ***
    Moonglow
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian
    Better Boy ***
    Eva Purple Ball
    Anna Russian
    Campari
    Sausage ***
    Costoluto Genovese ***
    Riesentraube
    Pink Brandywine
    Aunt Rubys German Green
    Striped Roman
    Goose Creek
    Kosovo
    San Marzano
    Neves Azorean Red
    Ficarazzi***
    Danas Dusky Rose
    Giant Belgium ***
    Romeo Roma ***
    Aunt Rubys German Green Cherry ***
    Kalmans Hungarian Pink

I am sure i will start some more seeds in the next few days, even though i do not have enough room as it is.

Hope everyone has a great growing season!

• foose4string
    12 years ago

Big Beef
    Better Boy
    Brandy Boy
    Celebrity
    Cherokee Purple
    Early Girl
    Mortgage Lifter
    Pruden's Purple
    Roma VFN
    Rutgers
    Supersteak

Nothing too fancy and almost ho-hum, but these have performed well for me year in and year out. I've found most heirlooms to be less tolerant to disease and they don't have near the amount of production as hybrids. My standards must not be too high regarding taste, but most anything I grow, regardless of the variety, always tastes better than what can be bought at a grocery store or restaurant. There are a few heirlooms on my list that can't be denied a grow spot every year. Brandywine used to be one of them, but Brandy Boy has delivered the final knock out punch. After growing both of them side by side for several years in a row, I decided Brandywine isn't worth the trouble.

• KCKook
    12 years ago

The last batch of seed I ordered arrived today, so now the madness officially starts. I spend hours & hours over the winter trying to narrow my list down to a reasonable number.
    This is what will be started for this year:

Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Kellog's Breakfast
    Jumbo Jim Orange
    German Johnson
    Kosovo
    Marvel Striped
    Jap Trifele Black
    Black from Tula
    Yellow Pear
    Sun Gold
    Arkansas Traveler
    Black Cherry
    Green Doctors
    Matt's Wild Cherry
    Snow White
    Indigo Rose
    Eva Purple Ball
    Striped Stuffer
    Charlie Chaplin

The last 3 I've not grown before & were either on sale or free. I'm a big fan of sweet cherry types & have most colors of them covered. ;)

Here's to a good growing season!

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    12 years ago

I haven't posted on this forum before, but posting this year's list of tomatoes seems like a good way to start.

Repeats:
    Celebrity
    Brandywine
    Persimmon

New to me:
    Black from Tula
    Striped German
    Peacevine Cherry
    Park's Whopper

I have a lot of trouble with root knot nematodes, so I'm trying to graft the heirlooms onto Celebrity (VFN) as rootstock. My grafts are still alive, so far, but I have ungrafted plants as backup in case the grafts fall apart!

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

For sure-

Grandma Mary's
    Amish Paste
    Opalka
    Paul Robeson
    Luci
    Sungold
    Blackcherry
    Celebrity

Maybe- Have seed but not space...

Oregon Spring
    Beefsteak
    Prudens Purple
    Brandywine

• bindersbee
    12 years ago

I am going to try a BUNCH of new-to-me things this year and going for the crazy colors just because.

* new to me

From my Sis:

Tiguna*- her friend brought the seed from Paris. I am growing from seed she saved from this ruffled tomato last year- has anyone ever heard of this tomato?
    Amana Orange

From Kenyon Organics:

Violet Jasper*
    Mortgage Lifter Bi-Color (have only grown ML in the past)
    Indigo Rose*
    Red Zebra*
    Principe Borghese*

From Wild Boar Farms:

Pink Boar*
    Green Zebra Cherry*
    Sweet Carneros Pink*
    Pork Chop*
    Beauty King*
    Berkley Tie Dye*
    Pink Berkley Tie Dye*
    Brad's Black Heart*
    Red Boar*

I have Early Girl and Black Krim plants that need to start growing in the greenhouse at work.

And somewhere I need to get some Sungold seed because that one is always a must-have!

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Trying so hard to get a balance of darks, yellows/bicolors, pinks, reds, pastes, and cherries. Looking over this list though, I'm thinking maybe it needs another red or two, LOL. Too late now, they're already sown.

Here is my 2012 grow list:

Amish Paste
    Black Cherry
    Box Car Willie (new for me)
    Carbon (new for me)
    Caspian Pink
    Chocolate Stripes (new for me)
    Dana's Dusky Rose (new for me)
    Earl's Faux
    Earl of Edgecomb (new for me)
    Gold Medal
    Marvel Stripe (new for me)
    Matt's Wild Cherry (new for me)
    Neves Azorean Red
    Rainy's Maltese
    Romeo Paste (new for me)
    Striped German
    Stump of the World (new for me)
    Tasmanian Chocolate (new for me)

Hoping for a better tomato year this year! Last year, the spring was so cold and wet that all of my wintersown tomatoes germinated a month later than usual and were so tiny by the time it was safe to plant out, that I ended up buying plants at a local nursery, and even then barely had any ripe ones by the first frost. Very disappointing! Barely had enough to can a couple of batches of salsa, and tomato sauce.

Bonnie

• msgenie516
    12 years ago

I only have room for 4 plants, so here is my list:

Have grown before with good production, flavor:

Big Zac (lots of huge red, tasty tomatoes but were kind of ugly--I don't care, taste comes first)

Brandy Boy (very nice productive, large--I find them larger than Burpee claims--pinkish red tomatoes with lots of flavor)

Hungarian Heart (beautiful, large, tasty, pink oxheart-type fruit--every one last year was over a pound--that were extremely productive in last year's growing season, which I found to be the worst ever)

New to me:

Porterhouse by Burpee (I hope this one produces the one to four pound fruit they promise and tastes good--we'll see!)

I like large tomatoes for salad and sandwiches and I've tried Mortgage Lifter which I found to be very "bland" and I hope Porterhouse will be a better replacement.

• Mindyw3
    12 years ago

I am not a big tomato person but my mother ia so she chose big beef. I chose brandy wine sweet 100s yellow pear and green zebra. Oh and san marzano for sauce!

• Julie717
    12 years ago

Sioux
    Cherokee Purple
    Yellow 1884 Pinkheart
    Grandma Suzy's Beefsteak
    Royal Hillbilly
    Tommy Toe cherry

This is my second year to grow tomatoes and the only ones on this list that I grew last year were Cherokee Purple and Sioux. The Sioux did great, CP only made a few tomatoes that got eaten by caterpillars. But everyone says it's so good, I decided to give it another chance.

• jwestbury
    12 years ago

This year's batch:

Northern Lights
    Black from Tula
    Isis Candy Cherry
    Black Prince
    Stupice
    Gruschovka
    Lucky Cross (Tomatofest bonus this year)

• ferretbee
    12 years ago

Sungold
    Black Cherry
    Yellow Pear
    SuperSweet100
    Martina's Roma
    Stupice
    Bloody Butcher
    Black Krim
    Cherokee Purple
    Green Zebra
    Rose
    Mountain Fresh Plus

• coconut_head
    12 years ago

Started seed for:

Chocolate Stripes
    San Marzaon Redorta
    Homer Fikes Yellow Oxheart
    Stupice
    Super sweet 100's
    Sungold
    Dagma's Perfection

Wish I had more room

• kr222
    12 years ago

Celebrity (2 plants) - for disease resistance...just in case.
    Cherokee Green - amazing flavor!
    Cherokee Purple - not good last year. Want to give it another shot.
    Pruden's Purple - new to me this season
    Sandul Moldovan - great flavor.
    Marion - new to me this season.
    Marglobe - new to me this season.
    Sun Gold (2 plants)- great flavor. Favorite of my 3 year old.
    Kellogg's Breakfast (2 plants) - Father's favorite. Excellent flavor!

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

• northernmich
    12 years ago

This is the temporary list :)
    Community Garden-First Fruits
    RL leaved mostly
    SPRAWLING:
    Anmore Dewdrop
    Gartenperle
    Gold Nugget
    Green Sausage
    Grunt's Thai Pink Egg
    Koralik Cherry
    Whippersnapper

DWARF: some are PL in this list
    Beryl Beauty
    Coastal Pride Orange
    Coastal Pride Red
    Demidov
    Dwarf Stone
    Emerald Giant
    Jade Beauty
    Micro Tom
    Mr.Snow
    New Big Dwarf
    Rosella Purple
    Scoreby Dwarf
    Summertime Gold
    Summertime Green
    Tasmanian Chocolate
    Totem
    Utynok
    Wild Fred
    Windowbox Roma
    Yellow Pygmy

DETERMINATE:
    Bursztyn
    Copper River
    Farthest North
    Halms Gelbe
    Kamatis Tagalog
    Kimberly
    Moldovan Green

STORAGE:

Lutescent

BICOLOR:
    Armenian
    Beauty Queen
    Big Rainbow
    Carmella's Yellow Stripes
    Deweese Streaked
    Gajo de Melon
    Golden Cherokee
    Hazel Mae
    Isis Candy
    Pearl�s Yellow Pink

PASTE:
    Amish Paste
    Baylor Paste
    Carol Chyko�s Big Paste
    Cow's Tit (Goat Bag)
    Cream Sausage
    Dad�s Barber Paste
    Giant Italian Pear
    Heidi
    Hog's Heart
    Howard German
    Jersey Devil
    Jersey Giant
    Long Tom
    Martino�s Roma
    Opalka
    Pittman Valley Plum
    Principe Borghese
    Rocky
    Rosalies�s Large Paste
    San Marzano
    Sarnowski Polish Plum
    Sausage
    Shannon�s Paste
    Sheboygan
    Uncle Charlie's Italian Pear
    Uncle Steve's Paste
    Worley
    Wuhib

DARK:
    Black Cherry
    Black Pepper
    Black Star
    Brown Berry
    CP
    CP x BW
    CP x Bradley
    Indian Stripe
    Large Barred Boar
    Pierce�s Pride

GREEN
    Green Bombs
    Green Grape
    Green Thumb
    Green Velvet
    Malakhitovaya Shkatulka

PINK:
    Hege German Pink
    Mazarini
    Ohio Van Wert
    Pink Gaetano
    Pink Ping Pong
    Portugal Monster
    Tsar�d Royal Gift
    Winsall

ORANGE
    AAA Sweet Solano
    Amana Orange
    Angora Orange
    Djena Lee�s Golden Girl
    Golden Sunray
    Kentucky Beefsteak
    Orange Minsk
    Persimmon
    Sweet Orange
    Verna Orange

YELLOW:
    Casey's Pure Yellow
    Egg Yolk
    Furry Yellow Hog
    Giant Belgium
    Porkchop
    Sweet Beverley
    Djena Lee�s Golden Girl

RED:
    4th of July
    Amish Old Red
    Angelo�s Red
    Ashleigh
    Backfield
    BW-Landis
    Cuostralee
    Goose Creek
    Phil�s Fantastic
    Wild Bill�s Big Red

WHITE:
    Powers Heirloom
    White Beauty
    White Queen
    White Tomesol
    White Wonder

ABC Potato Leaf
    Adam1
    African Queen
    Amazing Grace
    Amazon Chocolate
    Amish Potato Leaf
    Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Aunt Ginny�s Purple
    Babywine
    Barlow Jap
    Beduin
    Belle Arlesienne
    Ben Gantz
    Betalux
    Big Cheef
    Big German Pink
    Big Mac
    Bilders
    Black Elephant
    Black Krim(var)
    Black Pear
    Black Sea Man
    Bloody Butcher
    Blue Ridge Mountain
    Blushing
    Boar�s Hoof
    Boondocks
    Brandysweet Plum
    Brandywine Apricot (Yellow)
    Brandywine Black-PL
    Brandywine Cherry
    Brandywine Cowlick�s
    Brandywine Joyce�s
    Brandywine OTV
    Brandywine Pink
    Brandywine Pink-Sudduth
    Brandywine X Stupice F3
    Brandywine Yellow Platfoot
    Brianna
    Butterworth�s
    Cabin
    Casey�s Pure Yellow
    Cherokee Purple
    Cheetham�s
    Chianti Rose
    Cleota Pink
    Concrete Red
    Cooper�s Special
    Depp's Pink Firefly
    Earl�s Faux
    Ed�s Millenium
    Elbe
    Eli
    English Rose
    F.H.Crow
    Flathead Pink
    Flathead Orange "Popeye"
    Fritz Ackerman
    Galina�s Yellow
    Gary O�Sena
    Gary Stayley�s-C
    German Johnson
    German Pink
    German Potato Leaf
    German Queen
    Glacier
    Gogosha
    Grandfather Ashlock
    Grandpa Charlie
    Grandpa Willie
    Grant County Pink
    Green Giant
    Grub�s Mystery Green
    Grub�s X Shannon�s
    Guker�s Special
    Harry Spudleaf
    Henry Field
    Heshpole
    Hillbilly Potato Leaf
    Indiana Heirloom
    Italian Tree
    Japanese Trefele Black
    Jeff Davis
    Julia Child
    KBX
    Kentucky
    Kentucky Pink Stamper
    Kentucky Plate
    Kimberley
    Kotlas
    Large Mennonite
    Ledoux Special
    Lenny & Gracie Kentucky Heirloom
    Lillian�s Yellow
    Limbaugh�s Potato Top
    Lincoln Adams
    Linda�s Faux
    Little Black
    Little Lucky Heart
    Liz Birt
    Lucky Cross
    Magnus
    Malinowy Ozarowski
    Malinowy Warzarski
    Marianna�s Peace
    Matina
    Medovaya Kaplya
    Moravsky Div
    Missouri Pink Love Apple
    Monk
    Mrs. Benson
    Mrs. Houseworth
    Mt. Olive
    Mule Team
    Ola Polka
    Old German
    Olena Ukranian
    Pervaya Lyubov
    Pink Shekel
    Polish "C"-pink
    Polish (Ellis)
    Pruden�s Purple
    Purple Haze
    Purple Perfect
    Red Baron
    Russian Apple Tree
    Shah/Mikado
    Slava
    Soldacki
    Spark�s Yellow
    Spudakee
    Spudalucie
    Spudatula
    Spudayellow Strawberry
    Spudleaf 117
    Stump of the World
    Stump x Bear Claw
    Stupice
    Stuse
    Summer Cider
    Syrian Potato Leaf
    Szach
    Tater Kin
    Ten Foot Large Red Pole
    Tennessee Heirloom
    Terhune
    Throwback Potato Leaf Plum
    Toedebusch Pink
    Turks Muts
    Uncle Blaine�s Pink Beefsteak
    Uncle Mark Bagby�s
    Victoria
    Vintage Wine
    Vorlon
    Wanda�s Potato Top
    Watermelon Beefsteak
    Wayahead
    Yellow Perfection
    Yellow Submarine

Backyard
    42 Days

Amish Orange

Amish Salad

Ananas Noire

Anna Aasa

Aunt Lou's Underground R.R.

Azoychka

Big Cheef

Big Mac

Big Rainbow

Big White Pink Stripe

Black Cherry

Honkin' Big Black Cherry

Blue Ridge Mountain

Brandywine Cherry

Brandywine Yellow

Chocolate Cherry

Chocolate Stripes

Copia

Cuban Black

Deweese Streaked

Earlie Annie

Earl�s Green

Elberta Girl

Eli

Emerald Apple

Farmer Reds

Fireworks II

First Early

Georgia Streak

Germaid Red

German Striped

Giant Belgium

Grandfather Ashlock

Green Giant

Guido

Hillbilly

Holy Grail

Hoy

Indian River

Lucky Cross

Mammoth German Gold

Marmande

Marvel Stripe

Northern Lights

Novikov�s Giant

Oaxacan Jewel

Old German

Omar�s Lebanese

Orange Russian 117

Pearly Pink

Persimmon

Pineapple

Red Barn

Red Wolf

Rose De Berne

Soldocki

Spudatula

Sweet Beverley

Tater Kin

Tlacolula

Ukranian Pear

VA Sweets

Victoria

Watermelon Beefsteak

Zarnista

100 year old varieties-historical section
    X1884
    Acme 1875
    XAmish Paste 1870
    Aristocrat 1893
    Avon Early 1921 still old and needed
    XBeauty 1886
    XBrandywine 1885
    XBuckeye State 1895
    Canada Victor 1874
    Cedar Hill 1876
    Conqueror 1876
    Cook�s Favorite 1876
    XCrimson Cushion 1894 (or earlier)
    Dwarf Champion 1894 (or earlier)
    XDwarf Stone 1902
    XEarliana 1900
    Early Large Red 1700�s
    Early Michigan 1889
    Early Red Smooth 1876
    Early Ruby 1894 (or earlier)
    XElbe 1889
    Essex Early Hybrid 1881
    Favorite 1883
    Fejee Island 1876
    Ferris Wheel 1898
    Ferry's Improved 1868
    General Grant 1871
    Globe 1906
    XGold Ball 1892
    Golden Sunrise 1894 (or earlier)
    XGolden Queen 1886
    Hathaway�s Excelsior 1876
    XHillbilly early 1900�s
    XHonor Bright (Lutescent) 1897
    Ignotum 1894 (or earlier)
    XJeff Davis ?
    XLumpy Red 1900's
    XMagnus 1900
    Matchless 1901
    Mikado 1889
    XMissouri Pink Love Apple 1866
    New Stone 1889
    XParagon 1870
    Peach 1885
    Perfection 1880
    XPicardy 1890
    XPolish 1800�s
    XPonderosa 1894 (or earlier)
    President Garfield 1884
    Red Pear 1872
    XShah (yellow Mikado sport) 1894 (or earlier) we will see what this looks like, supposed to be extinct
    XSoldaki early 1900�s
    XStone 1885
    Table Queen 1894 (or earlier)
    The Lorrilard 1894 (or earlier)
    Tilden 1868
    Trophy 1872
    Turk's Turban 1880
    Valencia Cluster 1876
    XWatermelon Beefsteak 1800�s

Read more: http://tomatodepot.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=2012&action=display&thread=1255&page=5#ixzz1qbHW8cqQ

• bustergordon
    12 years ago

Just picked up my seedlings at Tomatomania this morning. This year I'm growing:

Sungold - I grow this every year. The most prolific in my garden.
    Sunsugar - new to me
    Green Zebra - grew this 2 years ago very successfully
    Pineapple - new to me
    Kellogg's Breakfast - new to me

A short list compared to some of you, but I'm hoping for decent production of tasty tomatoes!

• the0ry
    11 years ago

My Repeats:
    German Johnson
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Principe Borghese (I'm giving this a second trial year for a fair shot - last year I planted it in an iffy spot and neglected it).

Trying new this year:
    San Marzano
    Alicante
    Bloody Butcher
    Jaffa
    Jubilee
    Blodkopfchen
    Watermelon Beefsteak
    Longkeeper
    Indigo Rose (starting for a friend but may grow if I have lots of starts)

I notice several of you are growing Old German, which is making me regret my decision not to - this is the first year in quite a while I am not. But, since I'm at capacity (I'll be packing 'em in as it is), I'll just have to live vicariously through your Old German enjoyment.

• lazey
    11 years ago

Wow, I'm relieved that I'm not the only one with a wide variety of tomatoes, actually compared to most of you I don't have that many. It makes me want to pick up some more. Here's what I'm starting from seeds this year:

Beefsteak
    Black Krim (Rainbow Heirloom Mix)
    Brandywine Pink (Rainbow Heirloom Mix)
    Cherokee Purple
    Coustralee (Rainbow Heirloom Mix)
    Djena Lee's Golden Girl (Rainbow Heirloom Mix)
    Endless Summer
    Golden Mama (Best of Show Mix)
    Golden Sunburst (Rainbow Heirloom Mix)
    Green Sausage (Rainbow Heirloom Mix)
    Honey Bunch (Best of Show Mix)
    Mexico Midget
    Orange Roma (Best of Show Mix)
    Pineapple
    Pink Slicer Hybrid (Best of Show Mix)
    Rutgers
    Snow White Cherry (Best of Show Mix)
    Yellow Pear

And two others that I forgot to put on my seed list, I think some kind of beefsteak and steak sandwich. Some of the seeds came in mixed packets.

Last year I tried starting from seeds and managed to kill 90% of the seedlings on every step, until finally I either over-watered/over-fertilized/allowed it to rain too much and as the tomatoes began to ripen they turned black and rotted. Blossom end rot I think. The only tomatoes I got was a handful of yellow pear and they tasted terribly bland, I don;t know if it was because they were not doing well or if that is how they're supposed to taste.

Hopefully this year will do better, or at least kill the seedlings early enough to buy plants at the store. I am excited about the heirlooms, especially the pineapple.

• lazey
    11 years ago

So it was the yellow pear and not just me? Perhaps the yellow pear seedlings won't make it to my garden this year.

• divot_kf6jxf
    11 years ago

Well, after reading what you all are growing...makes my list seem a little annorexic.

Black Plumb
    Brandy Boy
    Cherokee Purple

New this year
    Black Krim
    Sungold.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

oh, i have a tiny list too -
    bloody butcher,
    matina,
    ferline,
    sungold,
    cherokee purple,
    neve's azorean red
    craigella

• gunnarmcc
    11 years ago

My List

garden peach
    costoluto fiorentino
    green sausage
    japanese black trifle
    sweet beverly
    orange icicle
    missouri pink love apple
    great white
    lemon giant
    sweet solano
    paul robeson
    purple dog creek
    foxy lady
    druzba
    carmello
    berkley tie dye
    siberian

First time growing in my new raised beds! lets hope the harvest will be larger and tastier then last year.

• tab3
    11 years ago

Brandywine(not sure of variety)
    Cherokee Purple
    Virginia Sweets
    Chocolate Cherry
    Honeydrop Cherry

• dciolek
    11 years ago

All saved seed from 2011 -- achieved a 98% germination rate. I always plant about 150% of what I need to make it to the garden, so I'll have extra this year (again).

Brandy Boy
    Beefsteak
    Persimmon
    Pineapple
    Sweet 100
    Valencia
    Golden Jubilee
    Italian Heirloom
    Mortgage Lifter
    Purple Casbah
    Black Russian
    Big Boy
    Brandywine
    Black Krim

• annie205
    11 years ago

Love the lists...long and short!

This year for me:
    Aunt Ruby's Green
    Green Zebra
    Brandywine yellow
    Black from Tula
    Black Giant
    Carbon
    German Johnson
    Black Seaman
    Pineapple
    Moon glow
    Plicer Vessy
    Rossa Sicilian
    Orange Banana
    Amish Paste
    Jersey Giant
    Lemon Drop
    Emmy
    Yellow pear

• Kathy F
    11 years ago

I have to confess mine are all bought starts; I just don't have the set up for starting from seed and didn't take the time to change that this year. Maybe next. So my choices were a little limited, but here's my list:

Repeats:
    San Marzano
    Sun Gold
    Sweet 100
    Black Krim

New:
    Hillbilly
    Big Beef
    Stupice
    New Girl
    Prudens Purple
    Super San Marzano
    Azoychika
    Druzba

• stevemagruder
    11 years ago

I'm not growing from seed yet, but here's what I got growing in my small garden (in addition to five pepper plants):

Black Cherry
    Brandywine Pink
    Cherokee Purple
    Cow's Tit
    Roma
    San Marzano
    Vinson Watts

The only one I've grown before was Roma, although I did have a standard Brandywine last year. I want this to be the last year I do Roma, depending on if my other paste tomatoes do well. Last year's Romas were susceptible to blossom end rot, which was partially kept at bay using a b-e-r spray. I also would like to get away from determinates and hybrids for pastes. And the flavor of Romas are just OK to me; but they're a good backup in case the others don't do well.

I didn't see Vinson Watts on anyone's list. It's from Kentucky, and developed for over 50 years. It's a flat pink beefsteak variety. I can already tell this is a robust plant that's really going to produce.

The Cow's Tit is a funny plant. The leaves are fluffy and the stems are growing in all sorts of wild directions. Is this normal for this plant?

• lantanascape
    11 years ago

I have a total of 17 plants this year. Next year the garden space will be complete, so I should be able to grow extra canning tomatoes. This year it's:

Opalka x6
    Amish past
    Indigo rose
    Black cherry
    Black from Tula
    Ananas Noir
    ARGG
    Principe Borghese
    Cuastralee
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Pineapple

One Early Girl in a pot to hopefully get some earlier slicers.

• harveyhorses
    11 years ago

I thought I had posted my list, but I can't find if, hope it is not a repeat, but now I have a question.
    Delicious
    Red Brandywine
    Black Krim (my new favorite)
    German Gold (my sisters farvorite)
    Cherokee Purple
    Belgian Giant (1st time)
    St. Pierre. **My bad, I bought it on ebay (YES I have a problem!) as a paste tomato, well it is not, but does anyone have an opinion on them? they are doing great. blooms all over, but I wanted something for putting up and sauces.
    and the ever popular volunteer cherry that comes back every year, and is our snaking tomato. This will be year three and if it stays true I will be a happy camper.

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

My info on Saint Pierre says it was used for commercial canning and processing. Apparently it's good for whole canning because it stays firm. 3-cell.

I haven't grown it yet, so that's all I know.

I was really intrigued by the snaking tomato until I realized it was most likely a mundane snacking tomato. You should save seeds so you don't have to worry about it not reappearing on its own. My volunteer grape didn't self-seed the year of the Late Blight and I was glad I'd saved seed the previous year.

• harveyhorses
    11 years ago

O.K. the cat is out of the bag, my spelling is my (one of) weak spot. and I don't proof read very well.
    No way would I keep a snaking tomato!! Yes this is the year we will keep some seeds. My sister is very happy because one came up by her composter, just hope the deer don't find it.

• pasco
    11 years ago

black cherry
    sungold

brandywine
    mountain fresh
    black krim
    cherokee purple
    dionni
    carolina gold
    costoluto genevese
    super san marzano
    stump of the world
    Pineapple

• twj20
    11 years ago

Yay, my first post! Had to join in on the fun.

Growing this year, mostly in Smart Pots and Earthboxes:
    Note: * denotes my first time for this variety

1. Ananas Noire*
    2. Paul Robeson
    3. Pineapple
    4. Big Beef*
    5. Sungold*
    6. Sweet Million*
    7. Berkeley Pink Tie-Dye*
    8. Megabite*
    9. Cherokee Purple

Happy growing to all!

• KCKook
    11 years ago

I did post before but it changed. Some I started didn't make it after attempting to harden off in a freak storm.

And I kept finding others I *HAD* to have. Others I'll plant if I find them are Gold Medal & Dr Wyches orange.

The new list:

Arkansas Traveler
    Aunt Ruby's German Green.
    Black Cherry
    Black from Tula
    Black Krim
    Black Zebra
    Burgandy Traveler
    Carbon
    Charlie Chaplin
    Cherokee Green
    Cherokee Purple Heart
    Chocolate Stripes
    Eva Purple Ball
    Frank's Large Red
    Grandma Viney's Y & P
    Green Doctors
    Green Doctors Frosted
    Green Zebra
    Hazel Mae
    Hillbilly
    Indigo Rose
    JD's Special C-Tex
    KBX
    Kentucky Striped
    Kosovo
    Marianna's Peace
    Matt's Wild Cherry
    Medovaya Kaplya (Honey Drop)
    Momotano
    New Big Dwarf
    Pineapple
    Prue
    Snow White
    Striped Cavern
    "Suprise" (an unknown dwarf from Craig LeHoullier)
    Sun Gold
    Sweet 100
    Virginia Sweets
    Wes

I was given plants in bulk by someone that's the main tomato guy locally so with certain varieties I have easily 10-15 plants.
    I'm at around 200 plants. I think I went a bit overboard this year, lol.

• uncle_t
    11 years ago

Yellow Brandywine
    Red Brandywine
    Big Beef
    Early Girl
    Campari (seeds from store-bought tomatoes)
    Starfire
    Roma
    Sweet 100