SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

1' x 1' boxes for root vegetables......

In the revised edition of square foot gardening by Mel Bartholemew, he says that you only need a 1/2 foot (6") depth to grow vegetables in his boxes. This of course is referring to a 4' x 4' box.

However it's also been said (according to the book and people who are experienced with gardening) that for root vegetables the soil depth has to be deeper than 6"

to grow root vegetables.

His solution is to make 1' x 1' boxes with a height of 6", 9" or 12" tall. Unfortunately he doesn't give instructions on how to build these 1' x 1' boxes. He doesn't give a list of the materials you need to actually build these boxes, nor does he specify what the length and width of the wood needs to be to build these boxes.

I would love to build these boxes because I plan to

grow three types of root vegetables, and I want to make sure that the soil depth is deep enough for them to grow properly. I would build three 1' x 1' boxes because I plan to grow three different types of root vegetables. The root vegetables I plan to grow are carrots, turnips, and white radishes (which are also known and commonly referred to as icicle radishes, at least this is the description given for them on most seed packets).

I plan to use one 1' x 1' box for each variety of root vegetable I plan to grow. Would I still have to use the grid outline like you would for a 4' x 4' box? If so, then how many squares would a 1 ' x 1' box be divided into?

It fails to specify whether or not you need to divide the 1 'x 1' box into smaller squares like you do for the 4' x 4' boxes. If I do need to divide the 1' x 1' box into smaller squares and use the grid outline like you do for a 4' x 4' box how many squares do I need to divide the

1' x 1' box into and what would be the dimensions per square in a 1' x 1' box?

Essentially I could really use a set of instructions and a list of what materials you need to construct a 1' x 1' box. It gives a list of materials and instructions with how to build a 4' x 4' box. Unfortunately it is very vague with instructions and no material list with how to build a 1' x 1' box; nor does it specify what the length and width of the wood needs to be for constructing a 1' x 1' box.

My other question is that what does the minimum soil depth need to be for each of the root vegetables I plan to grow? What is the recommended soil depth for each

variety of vegetable I plan to grow? What would you recommend the height of the box be for each type of root vegetable I plan to grow (6", 9", or 12"). Just to clarify and recap, what I plan to grow is white radishes (these are also known as icicle radishes), carrots, and turnips. I plan to use one 1' x 1' box for each type of root vegetable I plan to grow. As a result I need the recommend soil depth for each individual root vegetable I plan to grow.

Comments (8)

Sponsored