SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephynb

Cucumber woes with wilting, drying and dying

stephynb
14 years ago

Hello forum,

Everything is going very well with my first SFG except for some strange problem with my cukes and only my cukes.

I searched the internets and originally, I thought I had squash bugs. I picked 3 or 4 off of one plant they were particularly interested in over the course of a week. Some of the leaves wilted and eventually died. Eventually, one vine died.

Now, I'm not sure if perhaps it wasn't the squash bugs themselves or perhaps something they carried over. I haven't seen squash bugs, eggs or larvae but now most of the plants are showing the same symptoms.

The leaves begin to wilt but have very little discoloration otherwise. At some point, they completely dry up...so dry that they can be easily powderized while being on an otherwise healthy plant. Eventually, the entire vine dies.

Here is the progression:

I thought bacteria wilt but I don't see the signs when I cut open a stem. And I don't see the discoloration I think of with Mosaic Virus.

I don't think the prognosis is good but I'm wondering what I might be able to do to prevent this from happening to a future crop, this year or next. Any ideas?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022