SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

UPDATE: 7500 Traveling Daylilies!!! Is it Spring yet???

mamabirrd
18 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. We have the most awesome group of traders, proven, experienced, honest, giving, sharing and awesome loving people. The way into this group is to have traded and proven yourself honest. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

One more time, a big WELCOME to our new members Lisa and Mellen!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Comments (99)

• mareas
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'll be number 7 (or # 1 if Jo is # 7)

Grinning ear to ear I'm so happy that Gloria liked the Lime scented geranium, her special purple daylilies & all,

Marea

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Ok I am number 8, never thought to put my lupines and columbine togeather, great idea will try that

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: 11,200 Traveling Daylilies

Q

Comments (102)
    Good Morning all! I see it has changed some since I was last here! Hurray! Come on out the rest of you! It doesn't have to be a big box, just a little token of friendship and celebrating coming spring, which I think everyone is so ready for!! Sorry, I haven't been on much. My grandson is down with the flu! Not sure if it is a 48 hr. thing or if he should start getting better today! Just in time for me to get, as we are suppose to go to Springdale for my granddaughter's 13th birthday party Saturday! And I certainly don't want to miss it! She's my only girl and she is a girly girl!! Oh Lord! Mareas-so glad things are going better for you! I would love to see where you live! I bet it is very gorgeous there! Welcome to the little swap! Please stop in and post whenever you can! And everyone else also! Sharon-wonderful for you to join! (and everyone else also!) I know what you mean about peeking at your seeds every morning! I have broccoli, brussel sprouts, peppers, tomatoes, ornamental peppers, and other items, besides my flowers are waiting to pop up. I now have 6 lemon meyer seedlings about an inch tall! I peek at them several times daily!! For those of you who would join if was a little later-just send a little yard ornament or trinket and nice note with an IOU for a plant when they come up! It's not about what we get, just the fun in knowing someone is thinking of you and cares enough to send a little something! Soemthing to pick up everyone's spirits in the lousy economy everyone is having these days! Shirley-I hope things are going better with your Mom. Please keep us posted! I will continue to keep you and her in my prayers. Ok so now we are at: Melinda Gloria Nancy Paul Debbie Marea Sharon Looking good! Would love to see others coming out and posting to say hello even if don't want to swap! Love to get to know more of you better! Have a great day! Melinda
    ...See More

UPDATE: Traveling Daylilies (Pictures 8)

Q

Comments (31)
    Sharon-Wow the ice did push those rocks out of the water. I have never seen anything like that before. Thanks for all the compliments about Brittney. Do you know when you save change it never looks like it is as much as it turns out to be. Well...I have this jar that counts change as you put it in so I am filling it with quarters to give to Brittney on her graduation day. It should hold close to $300.00 or more (I'm still working on getting it full). I'm going to offer her a check for $100.00 OR the money in the jar. Her Mom laughed and said she will think the check is more and take it. That is what I hope she does and then I can tell her you just turned down $300.00 for a $100.00 check Brittney. Of course after kidding with her awhile I will give her the money jar. Dirtpig-I can't pull up your pictures...Boo Hoo Carol-I love all the projects you have started...I'm so jealous of your soon-to-be greenhouse...I want one. Sassy-Wow that daylily bud is early...My irises are just now budding, it will be awhile for the daylilies. Got to get packed, we are leaving for Stone Mountain, Ga. All my family have campers so we are leaving this morning and will be back Monday. Shirley
    ...See More

UPDATE: traveling daylily angels 5500 send & get daylilies

Q

Comments (100)
    Hey ya! I hope everyone had a nice long weekend to enjoy. Beautiful weather here! Sherri, wish I could keep her this size. MaryB, a diagram for you :). Lots more stuff in there not pictured. Brugmansia 'Creamsickle' three blooms on a heat stressed plant and Coleus 'Lava Rose'- my favorite coleus this year. My business is slow as expected when starting out. I have a partial website (go figure?), my license, business cards. Made a bag with my logo on it that I carry around. I have about 6 websites going right now. Enough to pay the business bills. BTW, Gloria I have a bill for you coming your way today :). Love ya, Hottie! CindyO, you are about 350 miles for me, well duh, I guess you already know how far. I would love to come! I can drop my back seat in the Blazer and make lots of room, but I would have to leave the kids with you so I could haul the loot back home. Love that seedling of yours! I just picked the last of the seedpods yesterday. Now we have about 1000 seeds to figure out where to plant. Marea! YAY, a tropical! Diane, got your test email. Debbie, happy B-day! Miss Susan, have you and Dan gone off and got married without us? The Stapelia you sent me last year is about to bloom any day now. I may be cussing you soon :). Anita, your in my thoughts. Deni, if you can read this, you are the most thoughtful and generous soul! ~Canna
    ...See More

update: update: traveling daylilies (photos 11)

Q

Comments (45)
    You really lucked out Paul. Nice stuff! Those can't be current pics of your yard, are they? I thought you lived in WA or OR and had some frost by now. So, I'm juust a tad jealous if you can see that now! You know the one draw back with my elph camera is I frequently get the icon telling me my camera is shaking. Even if holding it very still. The high wind causes problems with focusing but they might make a similar model with some type of stabilizing feature to minimize this. I take many out of focus pics. The 2 below are examples as they were taken on horseback and the first with 12 X magnification as I was far away. Marea, Since you asked for a horse pic I went out in 39 degree weather for the first ride in a while. Shiloh was too full of energy and naughty. Here is the corn harvest here. Don't be fooled by the small size of these blue wagons. They are really big- 3 will fill a semi truck full of corn. and here if my hubby having the time of his life! If he wasn't so tired he might smile more. The combine is quite large also if you are standing up next to it. So- anyway- this should counts as a horse picture! BTW Marea, The lily garden idea with semps sounds groovy! You are the semp queen! I just found a photo/ art web place called redbubble.com. Some lovely and some weird art there. A warm bubble bath sounds dreamy right about now... Karen
    ...See More
  • barbamaman
    18 years ago

I'm going to pass on the April swap.

Just looked at the flower beds - still pretty dreary. I'm afraid this funny winter may have been harder on things than our usual. The coons are out and hungry. They're digging to see what they can find.

Gloria the coons dug up every crocus bulb! We found them here and there on the grass, with holes where they were. I knew better - just couldn't believe I can't have crocus.

Note to self: You cannot have crocus!

Daffs, Rudbeckia, Doronicum and Bleedinghearts waking up!

Barb

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Count me in for April....I'm # 9!!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

I'll take #10!
    MaryB

• budsnblooms
    18 years ago

I'll be #10.

Cody...sorry about your move, but good to to hear from you.

Congratulations to the soon to be grandma's.
    Barb it's nice to hear that you don't have to have the surgery right now, I know you weren't looking forward to that.

Karen it has been really nice "chatting" with you. Which reminds me....I am helping Deni with newbies and making sure our new folks have big bro's/sis's. We just started this a couple of months ago so if you're not on the list...your big sis/bro is whoever sponsored you into our group.

Karen, Meghan, Betty your big sis is......Deni
    Lisa your big sis is.....................Anita
    Mary Ellen your big sis is...............Carol

The big sis/bro's job is to introduce the new member to the group, explain how we do trades, encourage them to post, get involved in trades, etc. Basically, just be a help to them and make them feel welcome. If you have any questions, e-mail me.
    Debbie/budsnblooms

• budsnblooms
    18 years ago

I guess Mary and I were posting at the same time....I'll be #11. Debbie

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

I guess I'm number 10. Whoa this is good. I never thought I would be a ten.

Jo---Oh I love that lupine/columbine bed. I grieved so last year when something ate my lupines you sent. They were just to tempting I guess. If we trade this year please remind me that I need more. I know you are excited about your DD expecting. I looked and looked for some material with "Witzy" on it. Hoped I would find some for your box. Will keep looking. Hope you get the card from the magazine I chose for you. If the box gets there first I will tell you which magazine I chose.

Shirley

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Wow, the April swap is filling up fast.

Gloria!!!!!
    You never answered my question. I "CAN" send more than one thing can't I? PUUUUUUHHHHHHLEEEEEEEASSSE!!!!!!

Shirley,
    I will be sure to send you some more lupines. Once they are planted, try putting a couple dryer sheets real close to them, maybe the odor will keep the critters away. Do you have any idea what ate them? As you can see, I have huge ones, (and tiny ones) nothing has ever eaten mine. You must have a strange critter. (grins)

Mellen!!
    A big "WELCOME"

Lisa,
    I see you made it. Glad we could help.

Hi MaryB,
    Glad to see you back. Hope things are going better now.

Mary_s,
    Glad to see you back as well.

Nancy,
    The $1 DL's are there till the 17th. I left all of my cannas in too. But, I put a teepee over the whole bed. (my bog garden) I have sarracenias(pitcher plants) in there, a couple are only hardy to z7. I checked yeasterday, and all are doing fine. In fact, my LA iris, and the Pitcher plants are all still green, and I have a few new shoots coming on all of them. The cannas I checked (didn't check all of them) are still nice and firm, so, I am very pleased with my little experiment.

I have several DL's poking up new green. And most of my sedums have all new growth, up about an inch. I have a couple of crocus blooming, and all are budded. Daffs are up and poking out buds as well. And the hyacinths are sending out leaves and buds too. As I lay in bed this morning, first bird started singing out in the tree in our front yard. I know the song, but cannot for the life of me remember which bird it is. I will have to look it up. But, I know it is a spring bird.

Hows about we make the May swap (I know, I know, we haven't even gotten to the April swap yet) for Dahlias(and other things). Remember we were gonna do that last fall.
    We could make it for 2-3 (more if you want) Plus anything else you might want to include.
    LMK if you might be interested. This way we could think about it for a bit. I would be glad to host it.

OK,
    THIS IS IT, THE MOMENT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR...........

NEXT ROUND OF RECIPES,DOING 2 AGAIN
    BEVERAGES,AND BREAKFAST FOODS

thanks everyone,

Also, a special thanks to Paul, he has sent me several more crock pot recipes, they sound yummy.

Paul,
    BTW, I am still thinking of the recipe for the cheesecake with "hot peppers" in it. Have you ever eaten that one? I am thinking I may never try that one, MY cheesecake needs to be sweet. Not sure I would want it to be "HOT". But, a big THANK YOU in any case.

Hope I didn't miss anyone,

big hugs to all,

Jo/juspeachy

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone, I will take lucky #13.
    Not feeling good at all today, back to bed I go

• namso
    18 years ago

Good afternoon all,

a bit of spring has arrived here too :). robins everywhere, killdeer are back, and found out i had a bluebird move into a house i just put up two weeks ago. too fun. ist crocus blooming today as well.

Anita, Susie, others? - do do hope you are feeling better soon.

MaryB - glad to see you back :). hope things smooth over for you quick.

Sherri - no buds on daffs yet, only green up. tulips from Maryb last year are still in the frig so doubful there too lol. Barb - thanks for the snowdrops tip, i will look in the fall.

Sharon - had to look up that Volcano Queen. theres a beauty too...love the edge.

Shirley - i will keep my fingers crossed on the iris! And love the Aurora's Wedding pic. Beautiful.

Ellen, sounds like you had a nice trip. im in zone 5, close to 6, usually start planting around 4/30 if the weather is good.

Anita, hopefully not too many LOST:) mostly i have lost fall planted sf's, but i found one yesterday thats probably gone to a bunny nest.

Nancy, glad you made it through that storm.

Mary Anne, i would love to see pics from your flower show. sounds like fun.

Mellon & Lisa, way to jump right in!

Jo, can you clarify if you are 7 or 1....need to know who to start looking for :).
    oooh and so looking forward to the hummers too.

Friends from last year

Zepher John

Have a great day all....off to plant some maple trees i picked up.

Cindy O/Namso

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Jo, what a beautiful bed! MY LUPINE/COLUMBINE BED
    Do you do anything to the bed after these stop blooming?

I'm opting out of the April swap also. All my daylilies will be coming in April and I will be busy finding places for those.

sharon

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

We had an unseasonable 65 degrees yesterday! Went for a horse back ride- lovely!

Jo- very nice lupine pic! I've been patiently waiting for a year so hopefully I get to see my first blooms of it this year here.

Deni -IS MY BIG SIS! How cool is that!. My sister is 13 years younger than I. I've always been a big sis. I'm thrilled to have a big sis of my own:)

I am thinking about the april swap. We don't have that much that is out of dormancy in April . I will ponder what might work.

Oh darn now my pic I was sending y'all isn't working:(

Karen

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Hi All,
    Yes, the April swap sure is filling up fast. Think we're all anxious to finally send and receive some boxes with REAL LIVE PLANTS!!!! I wanted to recap who has what for numbers since there was some confusion:

#1 - Jo (now who's going to get mad if you send more??)
    #2 - Canna
    #3 - MaryS
    #4 - Dianne
    #5 - Lisa
    #6 - CindyO
    #7 - Marea
    #8 - Carol
    #9 - Dawn
    #10 - MaryB (Sorry Shirley, I get to be the perfect 10)
    #11 - Debbie
    #12 - Shirley (even better than a 10!)
    Lucky #13 - Anita

Gotta run for now.
    MaryB

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago

I am 14.

I got so much done. It took me 6 hours to clean 3 daylily beds. It was in the high 70's yesterday, no kids. It felt great to play in the dirt. I have lost a few. I lost my Space Coast Bold Scheme and In the Navy. I have one other Space Coast I think it is Ruffles that is barely alive. I thought it was gonna die last year when I planted but it is hanging in there. Probally be 3 years before I get to see a bloom.

Jo great picture of the lupines. That is something I have never grown. A gal at work gave me some seeds so I am going plant them.

Carol your box is either going tomorrow or Tues. I am pushing that deadline as usual.

Well all got boxes to pack. Take care

{{gwi:1257698}}

Here are lily's from last year
    Angie

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

MaryB-I can't believe you took my perfect ten spot. Serves me right. I read post no. 9 and started posting but took a few breaks and lost my spot.

It's been a long week-end. I'm beat running after my two year old grandson. I know why God doesn't want us to have children after 40. I CAN"T KEEP UP WITH THEM. Way too much energy.

Angie-Sorry to hear about your spacecoast daylilies. I think all mine made it. I need to take inventory to be sure.

Cody-Sorry to hear about your decision. Will miss you.
    Don't forget us like Joey did.

Cindy-Love that picture of your Friend from last year. Her eggs blend in so well with the surroundings. You should send that picture to Birds and Bloom magazine. Like that Zepher John too.

Anita-Hope you are feeling better soon.

Susie-So sorry to hear your news.

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

mary thANKS FOR POSTING THE GIRLS NAMES.... WELL OFCOURSE YALL CAN SEND MORE THAN JUST YOUR NUMBER.... OF COURSE!!!
    aND ANGIE IS CORRECT YOU ALL CAN SEND ANYTHING YOU ALL WANT.... MY DLS ARE NOT EVEN UP AT ALL YET... BUT WE DID JUST PLANT 1000 DOLLARS WORTH TO SELL OFF TO PAY FOR THIS WEDDING,,, YOU KNOW THE TUNE... DUM DUM DUM DUM,,, SING TO THE BRIDAL MARCH,,,, GRIN..

OH WELL ONLY ONE DAughter might as well "go fo it"

better explantion of trades.... if ever you are confused, or feel like this is noting but crazy.... you all are correct!
    I came on to post just send two daylilys... and then that great idea hit me.... but the good news is you can just send teo and thewn send the rest in paper clips... this is all to be fun you know...

can yall smell lime from my computer??? grin

all newbees... yall only have three months left to get my m&Ms to me...

oh watch the emails come!!!! grin...

great photos...

debbie is piled under notes for rules.... hugs

yes jo... we can do dahlias for april... for those interested.... might should throw in a daylily also so as not to upset our tru daylily lovers... but hear me.... im so close to changing loyalitys.... i am head over heels in love with dahlias...

and dont forget about our friend on ebay

flowersforme123

man has she got some beautiful ones.... and her prices aRE SOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSES!!!( DAHLIAS)
    SHE IS SOOOOO SWEET
    AND SOOOOOOO NICE
    AND ILL BET SHE IS AS PRETTY AS DAWN!!!!

OH SPEAKING OF DAWN.... ALMOST ALMOST!!!! GRIN

BACK TO MOVIES,,, MAYBE EVEN BED.... ITS AFTER MIDNIGHT HERE,,, zzzz
    YALL BE GOOD

AND DONT FORGET TO SAY "hi" TO DENI!!! GRIN

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

We are having severe thunderstorms with a tornado watch. It thunderstormed pretty much all night. I woke up 3 times. Not like me at all, I sleep right through them usually.

But all that is OK since it is going to be 67 degrees again today!!! Woo Hoo! Tomorrow is will be 37. Boo Hoo.

Angie, I was like you yestereday, but I was in the garden for only 3 hours. My beds look very clean now.
    For my daylily seed crosses I use the blinds, one at the first seed of the cross and another with the last seed of the cross. In the past I've had them come out of the ground and blown away, and I also made a so-so map. But I do have some unknown seedlings b/c of this. So last summer I planted the blinds VERY deep and didn't make a map thinking I was safe. Silly me! Tons of blinds out of the ground. I had kids running over that part of my garden too in the winter, so a lot of the blinds were broken and pulled out that way. Anyone have a better set-up for keeping track of their seedlings?

Angie, your picture of your bulbs is beautiful. I hope my lilies look that great!

I wanted to tell all the Cat lovers that I have finally found a treat that my Candy Cat will eat. Wiskas Temptations - turkey. Both my cats know the bag now.

sharon/tma

• abitodd
    18 years ago

Hey all,

I want to thank all of you that are helping with the Newbie boxes, I really started to send refunds back to all of you but decided I would not as that really makes better sense then mailing a box of things and having to spend all the money on postage. However, I will not turn down anything that some of you might like to send to be a part of the boxes.

Karen, As your Big Sis please feel free to let me know if you have any questions, problems, or just need to talk. I am here for you for whatever reason.

Now to all of you can I have the pleasure of hosting the MAY SWAP....We have a wonderful fun idea that we would like to do. If it is OK I will list the details so that anyone wanting in on it can get started as it will be a blast.

I am going to pass on the April swap as I have 1000 things to get done and I am afraid I would not do it justice.

I had a hundred other things I wanted to say but my brain went to sleep I guess, so i will be back when it wakes up.

9 days till SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!! and counting.

Deni

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

DENI!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got such a lovely 'newbie to TD box' with such wonderful stuff in it !!!!! Oh my word- !!! I don't think in my history of GW-ing that anyone has ever done something so nice EVER! You are in a class of your own!!! I guess I must be "Joy". lol! I thought that seemed like such a nice idea! When someone said "who'se Joy? I thought hmmm? Is that me??? I can only hope! Yeah!!

THX to all the sweethearts helped out Deni with my box . I love everything in it! The kids are excited about there things too!!
    Well I'd love to share what all the fabby things are in the box- but I'm not sure if that will spoil it for the other newbies- I'll wait to hear from you, Deni on that.

I just can't get over how nice that was to see when I arrived home from work with grocery bags in hand today. You made my day- possibly my week, probably my month too!

Angie- your pic is calendar quality. How long do the easter lily type lily bulbs last for you? I'm excited to try some asiatics this year- can't wait until they bloom!

Was CODY the one on the front of the bike or the back? Sounds like he'll be missed.

I have good news from my $2000 MRI of my hand. The ligaments are ok- it is just a cyst in my wrist nothing more serious. An answer to prayer:)

Deni- thank you so much. I'm glowing. Can you see the glow from where you're at if you look out your north window?

KAREN:)

• abitodd
    18 years ago

Karen,

I am so happy you enjoyed the box and the kids did too..lol All the boxes had different things in them and some of the same things in them and you are more than welcome to all the TD's know what they sent you in your "Newbie" box. The box was from all of us I just had the pleasure of putting it together and mailing it to you.

Deni

• bourret
    18 years ago

HI Deni & Everyone,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE NEWBIE GIFTS YOU ALL SENT! I feel so welcomed and hugged. The daffodils are awesome and I'm going to plant them as soon as the ground softens. Maybe they'll come up this year? GARDEN DESIGN MAGAZINE is great. I love perusing thru it and dreaming. Great garden tips are always included in it too. The frog is going on a particular stump I have in mind. Already, there's a bronze/resin type sculpture of a fairy sitting on it. What better to keep her company than a handsome frog?
    Deni, you are too generous offering a free daylily. Didn't you just lose a bunch of hems to the hurricanes last season? As soon as the weather makes it possible to see what survived could you send me a list of your daylilies that didn't make it thru the hurricanes?
    I adore the angel. I'll put her on my porch so I can enjoy her. By the way, I love the candles. You can never have too many burning on a summer night when you're sitting out on your porch listening to the sounds of nature all around you. Oh, how I yearn for the sound of peepers as deafening as they can get.
    The seeds are wonderful. Cypress vines attract hummingbirds which are my favorite birds. I'm going to start the Passionflower, Datura and dill seeds tomorrow. I'm so thrilled that you sent seeds from your seedlings! My husband, Paul and I are going to construct some raised beds to grow daylily seedlings in. I just wish I didn't have to wait 3 years to see a daylily bloom but that's the way it goes up here in zone 4.
    Well, I'm beat. Had a long day. Talk to you all tomorrow!
    Sincerely.
    Lisa
    bourret@gwi.net
    West Newfield, Maine 04095

• msbernard
    18 years ago

hello once again... I have an entire bed of "Orchid Corsage'so once trading starts let me know who would like a fan or two. I'd be glad to share. And you guys talking about the $1.00 daylilies naughty naughty me I had to order a couple. And then there is the Mr Peat. hmmm. I am trying really really hard to not buy plants this year. Remember my story about having 62 potted plants in my greenhouse yet to plant from 2005. But... I fell off the wagon on February 7th and had to place an 8 plant order with Garden Crossing. I keep written records of perennials I buy and for the past 2 years they are at the top of my 'very best' list of plant quality on the day they arrive. And they are very close to most of you. And my wagon is ready to be filled again but I just cannot. I have absolutely no room for the 62 plants let alone the 8 plants I bought from Garden Crossing. So to wean myself I have been buying and trading seeds. They all fit very nicely into a box. Thats my story for today. I am now on my way to spend a night at my mothers. SherryB in Sunny (lol) Central Oregon

Here is a link that might be useful: msbernard's trade list

• msbernard
    18 years ago

and what is this about the April trade. Are we now on green plant material??? If so pretty please put my name in the pot even though I've moaned and groaned about no room.

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

Deni
    What a fabby box arrived today from YOU!!!!
    I'm so glad -oh... my 9 yr old just got on my lap-
    claiming to be unloved!- I'm so glad you helped me get
    back on board here- and i'm so glad for your
    generosity. my goodness deni- that was the nicest
    box to come out of GW EVER!-

I've been looking up the seeds. Are they yours- if so
    I have some ?'s. Let's see coyote DL, musa, dill, datura. I'm already looking them up to see how to start musa!

The kids are excited about the silly string and wash
    cloth. Two have never seen silly string before.

The picture of the pansy is nicely done. The purple
    candle smells nice, and the citrus candles are so
    cute! The garden design mag. is probably one of the
    best mags they have and I splurged and got it for just
    one year- so now thanks to you I get to get it this
    year too!!!
    Oh and
    I didn't even mention the plant i get to pick out- how
    cool is that! Yet another reason to look forward to
    spring.

The daffodils mix are so big. I've had 3 daff
    blooms total my whole life (from a trade)- this should
    increase my daff. blooms 10X!

- I'm feeling a
    little guilty about the $ value of this gift box. thx to all who contributed:)

Well deni- thx so much...... more than words can say
    I'm glad your my big sis too.
    Karen- cheerpeople

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,
    Quick check in before HGTV comes on,

Cody,
    It will soon be time to trade Daylilies again, & We always have the right to say no to whatever month, Please reconsider?

Maryann,
    I let Shirley know about sharing 1/2 of the Iris I wanted with you, I have the list again, if you would like to see it?

Shirley,
    Feeling better, Thanks. I know it will come down to surgery, I just want to hold off as long as possible, but I think when it is making me sick to my stomach it may bee time.
    Please let me know what to do about the Iris?

Angie,
    Oh please tell me they are some of the ones I will be getting? When you get the bulbs in, you can just send the ones I bid on my way, after visiting the Maryott site, I better not buy anything more for a bit, Love your PIC, Looks like I will be sending to you for April:)

Cindy O,
    I agree, as I see what ones have not made it or have heaved, it is the single fans planted late in the year, I wish Maryotts would ship before June, but that is better than getting them September when I am sure to lose them.

Dawn,
    Thank you again:)

Jo,
    LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE Your PIC, Giving you a call after HGTV!

Deni,
    I have no problem with you hosting the May swap, Can you E-mail me what you have in mind, so I can get contemplating it?

Karen,
    Glad to see it is just a cyst, but you are going to get it taken care of right?

Lisa,
    So glad you are jumping right in & joining us, Please remember if you need anything or have any questions. DON'T HESITATE!!!!!!! Zone 4, ouch, I thought zone 5 was bad,

Jaye,
    Are you still with us??????Hope you got your March box by now??????

Sorry if I missed you:(
    Time for HGTV,
    Have a great day everyone!

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Good Morning everyone,

I am here to post the wonderful box I got from Shirley.

Shirley, it is just the best box, DD is thrilled with what you sent her too.

"THE LIST"
    An adorable birthday card with Raccoons on it

A dishtowel with a blue hydrangea on it-very pretty

A wooden book with "Jo's Garden" written on it-Did you make it?

Seeds-Purple Hyacinth bean vine

Package of lip balms-DD has claimed the "white choc. raspberry latte

The cutest Denim Birdhouse-Did you make that Shirley? It is adorable, I love it!!

A special gift for "april fools- a "belly button duster"
    This is just hysterical, we all had a good laugh.

Oriental lilies-Tom Pouce, and Dizzy

Asiatic lily-Commander in Chief

Pink Hyacinths-for the something that smells good

Crocosmia Lucifer

Dahlia-crazy love

Mints, green creamy YUMMY ones

Small pack of choc, wrapped in green netting with a St. Pats sticker on it

2 packs of mini hershy kisses (hershey kissables)
    2 hershey bars

A musical story book, and a lavender fleece baby blanket for the "little Punkin" DD loves these.

And last but not least, she sent all these in the most beautiful hatbox with orchids on it.

I love everything Shirley, thank you so very much.Jacinta says a huge thank you as well.

Did you get yours yet?

Karen,
    So happy for your good news

Deni,
    Sounds like our may swap will be fun.

Gloria,
    Are we gonna do the Dahlia swap as an extra swap for May now or do we want to postpone it again for another time? LMK

Well, off to do something,

hugs to all,

Jo/juspeachy

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anita,

Maybe a new, Spring Pooh will help to make you feel better:

{{gwi:24643}}

Enjoy!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's one I made for you, Jo.

: )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mellen
    18 years ago

Good morning, I wanted you to know that my "welcome" box came in yesterday's mail, but I didn't get it til this morning. I was sick all week-end and stayed home from school yesterday. DH worked in his office all day so neither of us went the 400 ft. to the mailbox yesterday. But after reading that others were receiving boxes, I stopped at our mailbox this morning just to check, and there it was. I brought it to school with me, but I have had no chance to open it yet. I won't have a chance until I get home tonight so I will post then. Many thanks already everyone. I already feel so welcome here. Mary Ellen

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Jo-Glad you liked the box. Was hoping you could use the hat box. Did you get your card for your magazine? If not it is for Birds and Blooms Extra. I know you get Birds and Blooms but this comes in between the months you don't get Birds and Blooms. I like getting Birds and Blooms every month not just every two months. I did make the wooden book but not the denim bird house. No I haven't gotten mine yet. Maybe today. Can't wait. I flunked out on the plant with your name. Looked everywhere, but didn't find one. If I ever do I am going to send it to you.

Anita-I can pick up your irises on the 20th. If you want just send a check for yours and I can give it to them when I pick them up. They can fill in their name. I can let you know about shipping costs when I ship them UPS. They are $1.00 each, no tax.

Deni-I hope to get things for your boxes sent to you soon.
    I plan to thin some plants. I know several sent you postage money.

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Morning all,

Having a little bit of a rough week so far. Please add these people to your prayer list...

My aunt passed away on Sunday. Please add my uncle and their children in your prayers. The children are grown, but their mother died way too young in her early 50's.

Also, my dear neighbor, Louise and her husband Steve. She had a heart attack last Thursday evening while on vacation in Alabama. They were going to send her home today, but last night she flat lined but were able to revive her after being shocked 6 times. Her heart is severely damaged and she is in the CICU. Even though we have lived a couple of houses away for 11 years. We have only become friends in the last year. She is a very kind lady and is always there for me when I need something, whether it be a cup of sugar, to helping me get my truck started when the battery ran down last tuesday. We take walks together, pick things up and the grocery store for each other. She spoils my children rotten and they miss her so much. I am doing what I can for them, taking care of their dog, Ivy, and getting the mail. I have asked Steve if I could do more, but all he says is that he is grateful that Ivy is in good hands.

Rebecca

• pins2006
    18 years ago

Hi all! The April swap looks so tempting, but I'm going to have to pass. My son is getting married at the end of April and I am going to be so busy. I found out 3 weeks ago about the wedding. He's in the Air Force and will be stationed in Cheyenne Wyoming for the next four years. His bride has a 9 year old son, so I will become a step-grandmother. Where's my rocking chair? lol

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

Please let me take the time to update you on Sue (skholer) who was recently hospitalized.

Ive had several telephone conversations with her. She remains in high spirits and just wants to get well. She has a blood clot in her lung and is being treated with bed rest, medications and monitoring. There will be a period of down time for her and she will not be participating in trades for the time being until she is up and about and able to pack her own boxes. SheÂs very bored right now, and especially missing her animals and reading updates/posts on the forums.

Her brother Jim has been an absolute God-send to her and is taking care of her father, her animals and some trade boxes that she had packed and ready to go. HeÂs working on hooking up her computer to a different location, as she is going to require bed rest once sheÂs discharged. SueÂs hoping for a discharge this weekend, but itÂs iffy as of today.

SheÂs currently at Battle Creek Medical Center, 300 North Avenue, Battle Creek MI 49017. Her room number is 3104. IÂm almost positive she would love to hear from all her garden web friends.

If you need any other information, please contact me through e-mail and IÂll pass it on to you.

Be well,
    Maryanne/Earthly

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

This is for our cookbook:

Appetizer:

Daylily Fingers

4 C freshly picked daylily buds (about 3 doz.)

Batter:

1 C flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 C milk
    1 tsp melted butter

Vegetable oil for deep frying
    Soy sauce for dunking

Wash the buds thoroughly and set aside on paper towels to drain while you prepare the batter.

Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. In another bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add milk and butter and blend thoroughly.

Gradually add the flour mixture, beating steadily to prevent lumps. The batter should be thin.

Heat oil to 375 degrees for deep frying. With tongs, dip each bud in turn in the batter, letting excess drip back into bowl. Drop into hot oil and fry until puffy and golden, about 1 min. Drain on paper towel and serve hot with soy sauce for dunking.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Daylily Dillies (pickles)

Makes 10 8 oz. jars.

2 lbs. fresh, unopened daylily buds
    5 hot red pepper pods, halved, seeds removed
    5 cloves garlic, peeled, halved lengthwise
    4 C white vinegar
    1/2 C water
    6 T salt
    1 T celery seed

Wash and dry the buds. Pack them upright in 10 sterilized 8 oz canning jars with rubber ring screw tops. Place half a pepper pod and half a garlic clove in each jar.

Put the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the boiling liquid over the buds, distributing it evenly among the jars. Seal the jars and store them sealed in a cool, dark place for about 2 mos. before using.

Both recipes from

Cooking with Flowers
    by Zack Hanle
    1982 Irena Chalmers Cookbooks, Inc. NY, NY

Today I'm thinking of Susie, glad that she is doing better.

Rebecca, we'll be wishing your friend and neighbor the best. Hug Ivy for us! So sorry you lost your aunt - you are having a hard week.

My baby pearlbush from seed last year made it through the winter. The raccoon dug up the crocus AGAIN! But he's apparently decided I will be allowed to have my cobweb houseleeks after all. The seeds I got from a botonist friend in Holland are germinating! I'm excited about these and I'll take pictures of them at bloom time - there's an aster and a mimulus that look beautiful in the pictures I can find on the web, but the sites are European, and my Dutch is non-existant.

Cody, I wish you could stay. You've got so much going on in your life now, probably more important to you than all of this. When you want to come back, I'll be glad to see you around again!

Barb

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Cindy, I love your bird picture. I didn't even see the eggs until I read further down and someone mentioned them. I had to go back and look again. Zepher John is gorgeous!

Anita, I understand your pain with your Deg. Disks as I have 2 of those now giving me trouble. I went to the pain clinic last week and am scheduled for a cortizone shot in my back under X-ray on April 11. Have you had that done yet? If not it may work for you. The doc said it works for 70% of the people and can last from 2 months to 2 years and you can get another when it wears off. I hope you find help for your pain!

It sounds like those T-storms hit all over the country. I'm glad everyone is ok.

Msbernard, you sound like me having all those plants to be planted and still wanting more. I've been able so far to resist trading and haven't ordered anything yet.

Everyone's boxes sound like they are really packed full of goodies! Good for all of you!

Canna, I'm so sorry for your loss of your aunt and your friend's illness. I will remember you and both families in my prayers also. I'm sure your taking care of their dog is the best thing you could possibly do. They won't have to worry if it is being taken care of and loved while they're gone.

Dawn, I love Jo's Greenhouse! It would look great on business cards and a sign outside the business.

Maryanne, I mailed my card to Sue today and am also remembering her in my prayers. I know my mother had bloodclots in her legs and she was in so much pain. I sure hope they can dissolve hers. It sounds like she has a really good bond with her brother Jim. That's great! Jim if you're reading this, Thank you for taking care of one of us!!!

Nancy

• budsnblooms
    18 years ago

I got the greatest box from Deni....She said it was because some things got left out of the February box, but that big box was stuffed with the best stuff ever. So I guess this one is a "just because" box....which is the very best kind. They're sent just because someone was thinking about you and just because they wanted to. I love you too....This box had: Two porcelain fairy figurines, a beautiful silver bracelet, a wind spinner, a very pretty etched vase, A magic towel, these bulbs: Bellevalia romana, allium, cote d'azure asiatic lily, 8 packets of seeds and my most favorite thing of all, a gold plated fairy figurine with australian crystal wings and a crystal that she is carrying. I have it sitting on my computer desk where the sun will hit it each morning and I will think of my special friend Deni. Thank you dear friend.

News about our rules....Jo and I have been working together to be as accurate as we can with the counting and in trying to figure out how best to state some of the suggestions and ideas you have offered. We hope to have this finished up this week.

Glad to see both MaryS and MaryB posting and it was also good to hear from both Sherry (with a y)and Sherri (with an i). Do you guys realize we now also have a Mary Ellen as well as a Maryanne?

Hi Cindy...I love looking at your pictures, you have the most gorgeous plants.

Its teriffic to see our new ladies posting and joining in the fun. Jump right in a sign up for the april swap and it sounds like Deni is planning something special for May....Wonder what Deni has up her sleeve???It has to be something special...Whatever it is, count me in.

Marea has been keeping her eyes glued to LA and buying up the Munson's for us, plus we've both discovered that since we last checked each others trade list...we have gotten a few the other hadn't known about so I guess there will be more boxes flying between KY and OR.

Cody....you and Meghan represented our younger members...We need your perspective, being both young and a male. Are you sure you won't reconsider?

Canna...Your family and neighbor have my prayers. It sure sounds like you have had more than your share of worry and sadness this week.

Gloria, Susie, Anita, Barb and everyone else who had surgery, illnesses, or are just not feeling well, hope you are much better very quickly.

Debbie/budsnblooms

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

good lord you all are persistant!!!
    i've gotten several emails and last night i talked to deni and meghan, for right now i'll stay, but won't be trading till later.
    cody

• mellen
    18 years ago

Hello all,

First I want you to know, Rebecca, that you, your uncle and his family are in my prayers. That is so sad to lose someone let alone at such a young age. And then the news about your dear friend was just a double whammy for you. We just never know, do we? Every day is precious as are family and friends.

Anita and who else? Deg. disk disease? Me, too. I have regular appts. at the pain clinic. Am on VERY strong meds, too. Shall we compare??? : )

Now to thank all of you for the welcome box that I received. When I opened this box and started going through it, I just had a constant big grin on my face--along with a few "wow's." I also received a gift certificate for a plant which is so generous! Plus the subscription for the magazine. I just can't believe that you do this for people! I also received a hummingbird feeder. Yea!!! I love to feed all kinds of birds. This feeder has 10 openings! I've not had a hummer feeder like this so I am excited. It won't be long til I put it out. I also got some silly string which is always fun to use in just the "right" situation. Believe me, I can always find just the right time to use it, too. I have the perfect place already picked out for the cute turtle statue. It will go in the hosta garden that is beside the front walkway that leads up the the front porch steps. As for the "magic towel," I've always seen these, but I've never tried them. As soon as I get done here, I am going to go put it in the water and see what it does. It will be my excitement for the evening. : P Also in the box were some very unique candles in the shape of shells. I love candles, too, but I think that these will be too pretty to burn. They are beautiful! Then there are some different varieties of seeds that look like they will be fun to try, and last but certainly not least are the mixed daffodil bulbs. Woo Hoo!!! I'm hoping I can dig them in this week-end then wait to see what happens.

All of you, I just don't feel that I can quite express enough how thankful to each of you that I am for how welcome you have made me feel here. I could tell instantly that this was a wonderfully unique group of people who seem to have a lot of trust in each other and share of themselves in so many different ways. It's like walking into an already established family, but a you don't make a person feel intimidated or shy or any of those emotions that usually happen when you enter a new group. I hope you know what a rare and wonderful group you are. I am thankful that you have let me be part of you and that you have let me feel a part of you right away. Mary Ellen

• abitodd
    18 years ago

Rebecca - Ms. Canna,

Our heart and prayers are with you. I know that sometimes close friends are even worse than family when one gets sick. I will pray for your Aunts family...even though those kids are grown it will be very hard on them...I know if something happened to my Mother my world would explode. All of you will be in our prayers. If I can do anythng to help you out please let me know...even if you just need someone to vent on I am here for you.

Mary Ellen - I am so glad you liked the box...It was meant to make you smile. This is something new that a few of us talked about starting for this year. I just thought I would make that clear so some of you that did not get one it was because this only started in Jan 2006.

Speaking of the Newbie boxes....if any of you have any thoughts or ideas about them please feel free to pass them on. I have up to now just been winging it.

Those of you that got the Magazine Subscriptions from me for your Birthdays in Jan, Feb, and Mar please let me know if you have received your first copy yet. I did order mine at the same time and received it Saterday but I want to make sure that everyone is getting theirs. Let me know so if you have not I can check on them.

One other thing I want to touch on. The Gift Certificate says it can be used between 4-15-06 and 9-15-06....It can be used now if you see anything you would like...that will be the likely shipping dates for the plants.

Cody, So glad you listened to me and are sticking around...bribery or not...lol

Ok If MamaG says ok to the May swap I will send out all the instructions so you will have plenty of time to prepare for it. Lets just put it this way The Traveling Daylilies will be going on vacation...lol

Deni

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Rebecca, you and yours are in my prayers.

Mellen, I don't know that I can get used to thinking of you as Mary Ellen. For years I've been seeing 'Mellen' and that is your name as far as I'm concerned. LOL

Deni, the seeds are planted and my fingers crossed. Wanted to let you know that my Centhre kiwi (spelling?) seeds have germinated, so plant away when you get them.
    And you have my attention, "The Traveling Daylilies will be going on vacation". I'm ready for a vacation!

Pins2006 - congrats on becoming a MIL and a Grandma at the same time!

I sent my card to Sue's home, didn't see the hospital address till after. Paul be on the lookout for your box. Deni, be on the lookout for the newbie box. And my Big Envelope to Cathy has been mailed.

sharon/tma

• TakingRoot
    18 years ago

Good Morning All,

A Big WELCOME to Lisa and Mellen!!!:)

I received my box from Anita and as always it is GREAT!
    There was a very heavy cedar bird feeder, Anita how did ya' know I wanted one exactly like that, I have been eyeballing them since last fall,(that was the surprise from you unamed by me) also there was a wonderful book, yes a book named "From flower to fruit", it has a wealth of information in it about seeds and how they have changed the world, a section on pistals and fertilization, boy do I need this book! That was for the garden magazine.

Something green was Shamrocks. For something that smells good; humming bird food, I always see about 6 or 7 each year and they are sure to love this. Something that is a flower/bulb of the persons name, enclosed she had a daylily named Emily 'Jaye', now Anita you know that will have to go somewhere VERY special! Something for fun was a hummingbird feeder to put the food in.

And for all of you that have ever had the pleasure of trading with Anita you know that she (and all of us) always put wonderful surprises in the box! Included was a red-striped canna, a box of wildflower mix, a ceramic garden pick of a chicken/rooster, which will go beside my chicken coup, I have two small beds on each side of it, it will look great there. Also a wonderful picture frame that has a gardeners tools, a sunflower hat and a watering can on it, this is just too adorable and it will go on my shelf in my kitchen. And of course M&M's..... (Anita!).... As always you brighten my day, THANK YOU!! BIG ((HUGS)) to you!!:)

Canna~ My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Jo~ Love the picture of the columbine and lupine.

I lost my little doggie/baby 'lhasa apso' last week, the heart problem got the best of her.

Hope everyone is doing well! Great pictures everyone.

Have a Great Day!

Jaye

• dirtpig
    18 years ago

Morning all...Welcome to the new members...

Hugs Cody...how could you even think of leaving us...lol

Just stopped in to say HI and HUGS all.
    Could someone tell mother nature that it's March...not Feb..we gotten more snow this month then we've had all winter...Cry...I just want it to melt!!!I do have Daffs coming up tho..snow can't even slow them down..LOL

waiting for this time again.

Off the work ...be well my friends...HUGS Mamabear

Jean/Dirtpig

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Hi All,

Just a quick check in. Haven't been home long. Boy am I beat.

Canna,
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I will keep you all in my prayers. Know that i am thinking of you.Big Warm hugs.

Jaye,
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss as well. At least you know that you did all you could and she had a wonderful loving home. Big warm hugs to you too.

Hope everyone who has been ill is doing much better now.

Dawn,
    Thank you so much for my little greenhouse. I do love it.
    Also, did you get my e-mail about the bird daylilies? If not, LMK and I will resend.

hugs to all,
    Jo/juspeachy

• msbernard
    18 years ago

shoot - I spoke to early about being in the April swap. The ground here is as hard as a rock. I needed some time in the dirt yesterday and thought I'd do a little weeding ha ha ha. So please take my name off the list for April. I'll talk to you all later. SherryB in Sunny Cold Central Oregon

• skohler
    18 years ago

Hi All

Just wanted to say thank you to shirly & Barb for your cards & best wishes thank you trully.

Earthly & carol wounderfull gals thank you for your phone calls trully made my day .
    its hard being alone in a hospital bed not knowing for sure if your going to wait up the next day I did make it your calls let me know just how many friends I have made in gw thank you just dose not seem to begin to let you know how I TRULLY feel about you all.

well I must lay back for now .
    but thank you all for your cards & best wishes .
    susie

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago

Hi all, been busy busy busy with work. I am wore out!!!

First, Carol, my box just went to today, I took it to work yesterday and left the label on the table. I hope you enjoy your box.

Second-when is the cut off to join for April? I think I was the last to sign and I actually want to get mine mailed early for a change :o)

Well got to go, my wholesale bulbs came in and I have got to get them out.

Anyone need lilies check me out on e bay

Have a good one

Angie

• User
    18 years ago

My March trade box from Canna

• User
    18 years ago

was too filled with love and treasures

• User