SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lamb_abbey_orchards

Calculating Tomato Yields

My primary focus as a grower is managing a fruit tree orchard. I've decided this year though to put in a large organic vegetable garden and have been preparing the soil in anticipation of this. Most of the vegetables we'll be growing will be sold through a couple of local farmers markets here in Midcoast Maine.

I've got a question about potential tomato yields. Let me preface by saying that I understand there are a huge number of variables that come into play regarding how productive ones tomatoes plants are (i.e., soil, climate, nutrients, irrigation, pest control, staking, pruning, spacing, weeding, not to mention the particular varieties you're growing), however I'd like to get a sense from seasoned tomato growers just what is reasonable in the way of good yields if you have a good year and luck is in your favor.

I'll be planting 72 tomatoes--6 plants each of 12 varieties--only one of which is a determinate variety. They'll all be grown in good organic humus, well-irrigated by a drip-line irrigation system, and caged rather than staked, using 24" x 72" Texas Tomato Cages. Plants will be spaced 42" apart in one long 250' row that will be 6' wide.

Would any of you seasoned tomato growers give me an idea of what you believe reasonable yields could be given these variables? If it makes any difference, the particular varieties I'm growing are as follows:

Bi-Color Mortgage Lifter (I)

Carmello (I)

Gary IbsenÂs Gold (I)

Grandfather Ashlock (I)

Granny CantrellÂs German Pink (I)

Italian Tree (I)

Paul Robeson (I)

Porterhouse Beefsteak (I)

Razzle Dazzle Hybrid (I)

Solid Gold F1 Hybrid (I)

Sweet Tangerine Hybrid (D)

Tangerine Mama Hybrid (I)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts about this. I just want to have some sense as to what I may be up against this year :)

Cheers,

John

Comments (3)