SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winspiff

Need cheap solutions - 100' of flower beds in weeds

winspiff
17 years ago

Hello! I'm starting out almost fresh, so I hope you forgive the length of this.

We having binding weed aka morning glory vine all over an area that is 11' by 100'. It was a flower bed, still some flowers in there, but the weeds were simply left to explore for two years. Every flower has at least ten vines attached, pulling them down into a maze.

My plan right now is to dig up what is left and pot them. Then I'd like to cover the area as cheaply as possible to smother the weeds (plastic? landscape materials? we don't have newspapers, probably would be excessively expensive to buy enough.)

I then plan to level the lawn so it is flat across the entire area. After that, it is obvious that we will need raised beds with landscape fabric underneath. I would *eventually* like to have 4 beds, each 4 feet wide, 3 feet aisles. They would go for 100 feet each, although there would probably be breaks every 10 or 20 feet or so.

My budget is extremely low right now, but something has to be done. Here's the question - what is the absolute cheapest way to do this - or at least part of it - without wasting my money? For example, if I get lumber that corrodes, it will have wasted my money.

Here's what I think I need cheaply:

- lumber (any substitute? plastic? anything?)

- weed smothering material

- landscape fabric

- compost (we're getting more serious about making our own, but it is currently inadequate)

- peat moss (any substitutes at all?)

- vermiculite (I heard you can use perlite and it would be cheaper?)

- anything else I'm ignorant of?

Really appreciate all your help and experience here - I am learning as much as I can on my own, but this was kind of hoisted on me, and I've never seriously gardened before outside of, say, school. I just need a lot of stuff cheaply!

Thank you so much!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting