SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitbulllawyer

'Local Vigor'

pitbulllawyer
15 years ago

I haven't seen this topic addressed here, but if it has I apologize.

I see that there are wildly differing opinions on the virtues or faults of a particular variety of tomato.

Granted, certain varieties may be better suited to certain climates and conditions.

However, wouldn't local adaptation or acclimatization of the seedstock also make a huge difference? I have heard this described as "local vigor"--that is, seeds are saved from plants thriving under specific, localized conditions, including soil-type, climate, elevation, etc. The next generation of plants grown therefrom are (perhaps)more adapted to this location than those from a "foreign" source.

My question is,if a Paul Robeson (for example) doesn't thrive for you in New England, is it because it is not a good variety for your area outright, or is it perhaps that your seed-stock comes from some totally different climaate like California or Florida?

Similarly, I wonder about taste/texture--do certain soil types or characteristics lead to greatly varying tastes and textures in the same variey?

Since most of us are dealing with OP varieties and saved seeds, maybe the difference between a negative opinion of a particular variety and a good opinion could be solved with the propogation of seeds from a "local" source?

I bring this up because I grew Paul Robeson's for the 1st time this year from California seedstock (very successfully)and I live in area in CA with hot, arid summers, whereas Paul Robeson is frequently described in other posts as an early or cool-clime variety only.

Comments (4)