SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amazondoc

brugs!

19 years ago

On a more pleasant subject --

I just got my very first brugs in the mail today. I'm very pleased -- these are BIG "baby" plants, each at least a foot tall. Two are variegated -- B. 'Sunset' -- and two are not -- B. 'Creamsicle'.

Now, as I mentioned, I've never grown brugs before. I think I know the basics -- lots of fertility, lots of water. But I have questions about the particulars, like: how much do they insist on drainage? Will the variegated one tend to burn in full TN sun? And things like that. Any input would be welcomed!

Comments (25)

• 19 years ago

Lucky you! You received some nice brugs. Sunset, aka "Maya", and Creamsickle are two of my favorite.

I have found that Sunset/Maya does better if it receives afternoon shade. The foliage on it is so lovely that I don't like to see it faded out by too much sun.

During the heat of summer, brugs need lots of water - but they don't like wet feet. I haven't had any problems with my in-ground brugs, but mine are planted in areas where either the soil has been ammended or in raised beds. As Sunset/Maya is a versicolor, it is more sensitive to cold. So, I choose to grow this one in a container where I can pop it inside as soon as it gets cold in the fall. Drainage in pots is not difficult to manage if you use a light weight, quality potting soil and add some extra perlite. When the brugs are small, they are much more susceptible to root rot.

Careful, I could talk about brugs all day!

• 19 years ago

Great. It's cold and rainy today, and I'm avoiding real work. :-)

I am very pleased with these plants. I bought them off ebay, and I was pretty happy with the deal as it originally stood. But then the seller had lots of confusions which resulted in a week's delay in shipping -- and because he felt guilty, he sent me TWO of everything I had bought! He didn't really need to, but I didn't refuse! LOL. He's a nice guy over in NC, seems to have lots of brugs -- and as I said, he sells nice big ones. If you ever want more brugs, his user name is eddiedewayne .

Now -- I can do afternoon shade just wonderfully. It'll mean putting the Sunsets somewhere else than where I had originally intended, but that's okay. I've got LOTS of afternoon shade. ;-) As for drainage vs. moisture -- do you think they would like very large terra cotta pots? I've been trying to decide whether the pots would dry out too quickly for them, or whether the terra cotta would actually help to prevent the roots from getting waterlogged. The pots are in the 15-20 gallon range, I'd have to go measure to be sure. And do you think the Creamsickle would take full sun without burning? I don't really have FULL sun anywhere, but it gets to be about 80-90% where I was thinking about putting them.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: brugs, brugs, brugs

Q

Comments (2)
    Oops. Sorry. Amaryllis bulb (red) Crinum bulb (light pink) Elephant ears (bulb) (don't know the variety-sorry) Nandina (rooted) Pink Perfection camellia (cuttings) Three other camellias (cuttings) (don't know variety) Old Mobile azalea (cuttings) Several varieties of azaleas (cuttings) Butterfly ginger Sun Fern (rooted) Southern Shield Fern (rooted) Holly Fern (rooted) Liorope (thin blade - mondo grass) Liorope (wide blade - Muscari) Autumn clematis (rooted) Loquot (Japanese plum - cuttings) Variety of repeat bloomer daylilies (medium-size fans) I also have assorted vegetable and flower seeds.
    ...See More

HAVE: 8 brug cuttings for different brug cuttings

Q

Comments (10)
    i am interested in trading for a few of your brugs. especially the charles grimaldi. if you are interested, please check out the photo gallery summer beauty section. you can see the pink, yellow and white . i have huge clippings. let me know . email me through gardenweb. plantlover49.
    ...See More

Any left over Brugs Appreciated. Name favorite your brug!

Q

Comments (26)
    Mike - I have to go down there to see what he's going to do with them. Tell ya what - if he's just staring at them and isn't going to "actively" grown them - I'll see if I can scalp one. They're tiny one year olds though - so they may be terribly green. I'm up against shipping now with freezing temps. Let me see what I can do. The day I got them, he said "those would look good on my porch." (gulp!) Here ya go dad. (grin) They're not mine anymore. I hope I can get there - I'll take a look and see if there's a cutting spot.
    ...See More

HAVE: Brugs for different brugs

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I am San Antonio and have these Brugs to trade for other brugs only please. I appreciate all the nice trades of the past. I hate to ask this s[ecifically but, Please know the names or color of the ones that you have and be sure that the cuttings are the correct ones as marked. I traded a few years back for twelve cuttings and got one kind only. Vericolor peach Charles Grimald Eucador Pink Frosty Pink If you would like to trade, please let me know! All the best-- Thank you, Lucy
    ...See More
  • 19 years ago

Hey --

I just found a local lady who may be interested in trading for my extra Sunset. If so, she's got the following brugs available:

CHARLES GRIMALDI
    VERSI PEACH
    ECUADOR PINK
    UN=NAMED YELLOW GOLD (FIRST YEAR BLOOM YELLOW 2ND YEAR IS GOLD)
    MYSTERY BRUGS WITH NO TAGS!
    DR SEUSS

She's talking about trading one named brug AND one unnamed for one Sunset (Maya).

Now, I can look up all these brugs on the web -- but they won't tell me all the good personal stuff about which one is easier, blooms better, and so on. I know a lot of people like Charles Grimaldi -- whaddaya think?

• 19 years ago

I wouldn't use terracotta pots for brugs. Believe me, when it turns hot here, your will have a time keeping them watered. I use either large ceramic or square plastic pots - - that are sturdy enough to keep from tipping over. If you use the right potting mixture and water only when the soil is dry, you will not have drainage issues.

Creamsickle can handle more sun. But my personal preference is to give all my brugs some afternoon sun. I think the foliage looks greener and more lush and I have plenty of blooms. Other folks grow them in full sun and get great results. This is one of those trial and error things that you need to play around with. If you have a couple in pots, then you can move them around and try out different areas to see what works for you.

All of the named brugs that Darleen has are good bloomers and easy to grow. And I bet her mystery brugs with no tags came from me! LOL But as I only take cuttings off of my best brugs, these should all be good ones.

• 19 years ago

Thanks!

What size pots do you use? I've been looking around and reading the brug forum, and I've been amazed at how small some of the pots are. I'm happy to use any size that gives em a good chance to be happy. :-)

I'm leaning towards Ecuador Pink plus one of the unnamed for the trade. But I know lots of people love Charles Grimaldi. Decision, decisions.... ;-)

• 19 years ago

Oh, oh, my brug is in a terra cotta pot. It's rather small too because as amazon.doc said all the photos of brugs have them in what seemed to be incredibly small containers. I'm kind of worried about transplanting it because it is growing so beautifully now. Also at what low temperature do you take your brugs in at night. I had my son lug the thing in every night because I'm nursing a sore back, but last night I forgot to tell him. The weather report says maybe a few days of cold weather--down to the lower 40's even. Is that too cold? My porch gets sun for about half a day. When I first put it out, I put the brug in a shady spot, so the leaves wouldn't burn, but now it takes full sun. I have decided they are very strong growers. Mine was pathetic a day after it arrived. I had to lop the top off and could have cried...but now it is growing faster than a Jack-in-the Beanstalk plant! I can hardly wait to see it bloom!

• 19 years ago

Re: size of pots

I usually start my cuttings out in small pots (some as small as 4 in.) and move them up to one gallon nursery pots. In late spring, I usually move them up to a larger, heavier pot (they WILL be top heavy)usually a 3-5 gallon size pot. Mature brugs (2nd year and older) are moved to BIG containers or planted in the ground.

Some growers claim that being root bound increases bloom production, but I get plenty of flushes using large containers with regular watering and fertilizing. Plus, my in-ground brugs out perform my potted ones. The way I see it, if being root bound increased blooms - then why do my in-ground ones bloom so heavily?

Terra cotta isn't harmful for your brugs - - it just will dry out too quickly. Plus if the pot tips over, it may break your pot.

Re: temps
    Most brugs can handle temps that hover above freezing without any serious damage. But the Versicolors are more cold sensitive and I move them inside anytime temps are mid-40's and below.

Versi's include:
    Cuba
    Versi Peach
    Versi Orange
    Cypress Gardens
    Ecuador Pink
    Herrenhäuser Gärtens
    Heaven Scent?
    Alba
    Peaches and Cream
    Volunteer White
    Versi Salmon
    Milk and Honey
    Temple Goddess

Re: full sun
    Full sun now is not the same as full sun once temps are in the high 80's. My potted brugs get full sun in the spring and fall - - in the summer, they are moved to receive afternoon shade.

Landrover, did you get my latest email? When you come over for your "tour", I'll give you a brug 101 session and can show you far better than I can explain here.

Cheryl

• 19 years ago

Great to know there are other Brug lovers in East Tenn. I have been growing Brugmansia for around 10 years and once I move them outside, that is where they stay! I have around 20 different cultivars that are mostly in large pots and that is why once they are out, they are out to stay!
    As for pot size, all I can say it the bigger to pot, the bigger the plant! If I have a really special plant and know it will be coming in for the winter, I will prune to roots and give the plant some fresh soil. In order to keep the pots from falling over in a storm, I dig hole deep enough to set the potted plant in and fill in with mulch.
    The good news is that there is no right or wrong that I have found! I favor keeping my plants in pots becasue I have not had good luck with Brugs returning in the spring and when they do, I usally don't get blooms until fall. I am impatient and want as many blooms as fast as I can get them!!!
    Mel

• 19 years ago

Hi Mel, My husband has a strong back and helps me to dig up our in-ground brugs to store for the winter. And I agree with you - I want blooms all summer!

To help with the pots, I just ordered a "pot truck". I figured the money would be well worth it, if it keeps me from blowing out my back or knees (tore the Meniscus in one knee last year tugging on pots).

Here is a link that might be useful: pot truck

• 19 years ago

Cheryl, I need one of those ! I did an article for the newspaper last year on Mel's tropicl oasis. I've never seen anything as beautiful as her garden , and I'm serious Mel, it's like going on vacation in the tropics. I'm hoping the Brugs you have given me will do well for me this year , they're putting out their leaves so I have high hopes !!

Cheryl

• 19 years ago

I have too many granny flowers mixed in with the tropicals for mine to ever look like a tropical paradise - - but I sure love my tropicals! Cheryl, I'll let you know what I think of the pot truck when it arrives. You can bet, it will be out of the box in a flash when it gets here!

• 19 years ago

Thanks guys, those are all great posts! I think I'll do the partial-pot-burying routine. If you're just using 5 gallons for first year plants, I'll buy some Walmart cheapies and then sink them to prevent tippage. I'd be interested in trying a new raised bed -- there's no way my drainage is good enough for regular in-ground planting -- but this year I don't think it's gonna happen! LOL

• 19 years ago

AWH shucks, Cheryl! Flattery will get you everywhere!!!
    Thanks so much for your kind words.

And Cheryl Shady Lady, I have a DH with a strong back but he still does not help me with the lifting. I could use some pointers from you on that one! The cart is a great idea!! It sounds like you and I need to do some trading and talking!!

Mel

• 19 years ago

Trading and talking - - great idea! I'd love to see your oasis sometime also. I am always interested in seeing how folks plant their tropicals.

• 19 years ago

Whoooeeee...sounds like a garden tour/party!

Rebecca

• 19 years ago

Lead on Rebecca!!

Mel, I told my hubby about your comment that your DH had a strong back but didn't help lift the brugs. And his response was that your husband obviously didn't have a weak mind! Considering how strong willed my hubby is, I had to snicker at his take on the situation. LOL

• 19 years ago

It wouldn't be the first time Rebecca lol. Next time I'll bring MY swim suit and Catie's too.

Cheryl

• 19 years ago

Cheryl Shady Lady, you have a keeper in that DH of yours! A strong back AND a sence of humor? You are not just a shady lady, but also a lucky lady!!!

Bring on the garden tours! I love to see others gardens as there is no better way to learn and grow! We all have so much that we can learn from each other.

Mel

• 19 years ago

Mel, You are welcome to come anytime, but things won't start to look like much until mid-May. And I agree that not only can we learn from one another, it's nice to just have someone visit that is truly interested in seeing what you have. I know my DH gets tired of me saying "come look at this"!

I did notice last night that I have little buds on some of the brugs that I planted last weekend!! And this weekend, I plan to repot all of the ones in containers. So if see a woman with frizzy hair and a big smile, out in a yard surrounded by plants, pots and soil -- that would be me.

:-)

• 19 years ago

Hmmmm. Are you sure that wouldn't be me?? LOL.

• 19 years ago

Mel, Catie has a new saying...she and Aric helped me weed yesterday and I caught her saying "If in Doubt yank it out!"...so if you need any help I'll volunteer her to help you in your garden too ;o) I have sure enjoyed my visits to your Oasis, I'd love to help you in the garden while I'm there.

Cheryl

• 18 years ago

Please tell me. What is a Brug?

• 18 years ago

Galiee, a Brug is a plant of the genus Brugmansia. They are sometimes called angels' trumpet. There is a whole forum on Gardenweb just for them. Look up Brugmansia on the internet and you may fall in love. Below is a link to a Gardenweb thread with my favorite picture of Brug flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Award-winning Brugmansia Picture

• 18 years ago

Brandon7 Thank you so much,it is beautifull. It will definetly be on my list of things to plant. I am new to Tn. and have no idea of what to plant, come spring. Thank you again,Gailee

• 18 years ago

Brandon7: Thanks for the nod.

gailee: Have a look through my GW galleries and you'll find several more photos of brugs. They are addictive...

Gallery 1
    Gallery 2

Sponsored