SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deogloria11

Getting rid of thyme to plant a square foot garden?

deogloria11
12 years ago

Hi,

I just moved into a rental where there is a large crescent shaped garden, divided into two beds. The owner had an herb garden in there, and it appears that it is now gone wild with mostly thyme, with a little oregano.

I want to use the garden area for square foot garden beds, but I'm worried about the thyme. I'm guessing if I just cut it down, it will re-grow. I don't think I have the time or patience to dig out every plant. I was wondering if I could just cut it down, then put down weedblocker fabric on top of it, then the frames and dirt for the square foot gardens. I was thinking that would work, but that brings up another question...

I know some things in the garden shouldn't be grown near each other. I'm worried that growing a garden on top of the old location of the thyme could be detrimental to the garden. I really can't put in anything in another location, because there is heavy tree cover, and that's the only place that really gets sun. If I put down a couple of layers of cardboard instead of weed blocking fabric, do you think that would prevent any problems of thyme affecting my new vegetable plants? I would like to keep some thyme, but since it appears to spread, maybe I should just dig a little up to keep in a pot, and trash the rest.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida