SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
traditional_gw

my first sq ft garden

traditional
15 years ago

First time gardener here, but I have read months and months worth of posts on this website, so I hope not to be redundant with my questions. I live in a farming community so I hope to have a basic understanding of growing to give me a bit of a headstart.

Currently I have onions, lettuce, spinach, radishes, and beets growing.

Tomato seedlings are very slowing growing inside, very slowly. I posted questions about those seperately.

We have had a fairly wet beginning to the growing season here with little sun and very few days over mid-70's. The onions are nice and green, seem to be doing well. The lettuce is not germinating well, spinach is growing like mad, just about as quick as I can eat it! Radishes were nice and leafy until one morning, we now have fencing up. They aren't developing much more than the tap root yet, but I am chalking that up to the weather. Beets have not germinated well either. I figure my germination issues are due to colder weather and slow growth is due to little sun. Am I right or should I be looking for problems with my Mel's Mix (I live in a very small community and my compost choices were extremely limited (cow manure, one small bag of worm castings (that cost a fortune!) and a bit of humus.)

I will soon plant some shallots, cilantro, regular and Thai basil, potatoes, and carrots. My garden is 2 ft by 8ft and is meant to supplement our CSA box for our family of six. The potatoes and maybe a couple tomato plants will be grown in either barrels or I might try the tire method for the potatoes.

The only thing I am not really clear on is fertilizing. Is compost tea the only fertilizer I need and how do you make it?

Any advice is welcome!

Comments (3)

Sponsored