SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rizzir

Name that plant - orange version of Dame's Rocket?

rizzir
19 years ago

My favorite flower right now is something for which I have no name - perhaps you can help. I had one one year from a Wildflower mix sold at Walmart. Its flowers looked something like Dame's Rocket, except the spire was shorter, the leaves at the base were almost non-noticeable, the flowers had no scent, and they were UT orange! Scott didn't know it was something I loved that first year, and accidentally weed-whacked its head right off, so I didn't get seeds. :-(

Every year after that I made him stop the car for me when I saw it blooming (once I saw it along Maynardville Highway, blooming among Dame's Rocket) and I would try to pull some up and take it home. Always it would wilt and die before I got it home, even when in a cup of water. I noted it has a very long, thick, hairy taproot. Eventually I got so desperate I drove around with a shovel in the trunk of my car. Last year, finally, I found a woman in Old North Knoxville who had it along her sidewalk. I rang her bell and asked if I could have a plant - she wanted me to dig up every one, since she inisisted she couldn't get rid of it. She had no name for it, either. I got a very large rootball, but still it died. At least this one limped along long enough to make seed, and I think the seeds I spread from its long, thin, upright pods (again, like Dame's Rocket) sprouted in the late summer and have been growing ever since, especially through the winter. When the babies were small, I moved one, and it appears to be growing in its new location just fine. I hope this is the plant! I will be so disappointed if these aren't it. Any idea what this plant is? Is it a perennial, a biannual, or just an annual with a strange life cycle?

-Regina

Comments (19)

Sponsored