SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof4andaman

i don't know how to do this

momof4andaman
18 years ago

In April some wonderful people on here helped me start my first sfg. In one month i have (3) sfg. and I am so excited......was trying to show you, took a picture, but now don't know how to get it from here to there. Any help?

Question....... if you all remember me-I asked a million and one questions when i started.....need help with:

my cauliflower/brocoli/sugar snaps are up up up....but am i suppose to rubber band the outer leaves around the heads on the cal and broc. ? Thanks and isn't this just the most inspiriing thing you can do - watch your labor turn into fruits of labor..........we are gonna have tomatoes out the waaaaaaa zoooo. :)

Debbie in Indiana

Comments (3)

• Jacque_E_TX
    18 years ago

Yes, mom, and I'm so glad your garden is growing well!

I got my film developed at a drugstore that sold me a diskette for the pictures, as well as double prints. (Or do you have one of those new-fangled digital cameras? ;-) )

You don't ever have to blanche brocolli. Some cauliflowers "self-blanche"--their leaves curl up over the head naturally. Otherwise, you can use a spring-type clothespin to pinch 2 leaves over the growing head--that just keeps the sun from browning the pretty white head. (I accidently grew a cauli in the middle of 1/1 collard greens--the crowding shaded it just fine, thanks.)

Heh--Maybe you can can tomatoes outside on a covered grill and keep the kitchen cooler. Or share your blessing with a soup kitchen....

Yes, it is a wonderful, exciting joy every single year.

• Jacque_E_TX
    18 years ago

p.s. When you cut the head off the brocolli, you may get what's called "side shoots"--neat brocolli spears that grow off the main stalk. My fall-planted brocs tended to produce lots of side shoots. Summer temps will eventually make any cabbage-family plant bolt, which converts the plant into a compost candidate.

(Same thing for lettuce--once the flower stalk comes slamming up high, you gotta *frog garden* it: Rip-it, rip-it, rip-it! So be ready to plant your summer squares as your spring squares *overheat*.)

Meanwhile, keep the fresh coffee grounds handy--a light dusting on plants, soil, and paths wards off slugs, snails and cabbage moths. (Just don't dust what you want pollinated....)

• Riff
    18 years ago

I'd love to see your picture Debbie! Are you asking how to upload it and link it into a thread? I'm not sure but I think people use a free picture-hosting service and then put a link to it in the URL box...

--Riff.

Sponsored