SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carroteggs

NEW: It's time for a Purple Seed Swap!

carroteggs
15 years ago

That means all fruit, veggies, and flowers that are Purple or have Purple in the name are welcome!

I, Carroteggs, aka Anna, will be your host for this one.

Here's how it works:

Send any purple seeds to Carroteggs in packets of at least 10 seeds, no more than 10 packets per person. Then I will randomly send you back the same number of packets that you sent back. Please do not send multiple packets of one type (for example- 10 packets of lavender). I will do my best to make sure everyone gets a good variety of seeds.

You need to sign up before April 15, 2009, seeds need to arrive by April 30. Seeds will be sent out to you by May 11.

You will need to send an SASE or SABE with stamps equal to what you sent plus one not attached in case an extra stamp is needed (if the extra stamp is not needed, I will put it in your return envelope).

Absolutely NO Invasive Plants or Noxious Weeds. These are illegal in many states (including mine). If your not sure, just ask. Many states have a list on the internet as to what types are listed as illegal.

For seeds, please make sure they are no more than 2 years old. For seed Labeling, please put Common name or Scientific name, year acquired seeds, season to plant, and any other information that may be pertain to this variety.

One last thing, please include a note of what you sent so you don't get those seeds back.

Anything that is either Purple, a shade of purple or that has purple in the name can be sent. Here are a few examples:

Purple Carrots

Purple Top Turnips

Purple Tomatillos

De Milpa Tomatillos

Cherokee Purple Tomato

Amethyst Radish

Purple Flash Hot pepper

Pretty in Purple Hot Pepper

Islander Bell Pepper

Purple Onions

Purple Scallions

Purplette mini onions

Purple Kolibri

Purple Kale

Oracle Mesclun

Hon Tsai Tai-Brassica rapa

Any kind of Purple Eggplant-think unsual varieties.

Purple Cauliflower

Purple beans

Purple Asparagas

Lavender

Purple Basil

Bee Balm

Cat mint-with purple flowers

Purple Echinacea

Agrostemma-some have purple flowers

False Queen Anne's Lace-Black night or other purple variety

Purple or Lilac Zinnias

Heliotrope-with purple flowers

Lilac Larkspur

Purple Petunias

Violas

Etc.

As you can see, as long as it is purple it can be swapped!

Feel free to ask about anything! Suggestions are Welcome.

Let's try to get 10 people!

If this works, I might do another color later on...Suggestions welcome for that too. :)

Comments (130)

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Question Susan!
    Stamps and a return label are fine, as long as it can get back to you. With a regular envelope, sometimes they rip easily and it is better to send another one inside of it. So either way works.

• susantexoma
    15 years ago

Thanks Anna! Back to sorting out my coolest purple seeds :)...

Susan

• Related Discussions

NEW: Purple Hearts Seed Swap

Q

Comments (5)
    Wow, I thought we would have more people interested in purple and red.
    ...See More

NEW: It's Time For The Yellow Seed Swap!!!

Q

Comments (106)
    Bonnie, Hi. Just letting you know that I received my seeds sometime this week (I've been on a short little vacation the last week). I love the seeds you picked out for me. I got a bunch of seeds I wanted (like some yellow tomatoes, carrots, chard and watermelon) and seeds that I didn't know I wanted but am excited about (like Chinese Yellow Cucumbers and Thai Yellow Egg eggplant). I love these color of the month swaps. There is always something totally new and interesting (to me at least) when I open up the return package. So, thanks everyone, especially Bonnie for doing hostess duty, for another great swap! P.S. I, too, am anxiously awaiting the red seed swap. Hopefully it hasn't been canceled. If Tammy is too busy to do this swap, then maybe someone else can jump in and host. It would be a shame for all those red seeds to not find their new homes!
    ...See More

NEW: Its time again-fall spectacular Seed Swap-2005

Q

Comments (110)
    I would like to thank you from my heart to Willy and to everyone who participated in this round robin... It's been a pleasure to received the package and learn about the different seeds... Willy... you are really a great person... and ohmygosh I can't even imagine how much work it is to do this... God Bless you! Diana
    ...See More

It's Time for the ORANGE Seed Swap!!!

Q

Comments (147)
    Hi everyone! Wow! A lot of people got their seeds today! The post office must have been working over the New Years weekend! I'm glad you are all liking the seeds I sent. Gmom, I had a lot of extras ready before I started this swap so everyone got more seeds back than they sent it. It was just something that I wanted to do as so many people have been so generous to me over the last year on GardenWeb. It was a good way for me to give back. I'm getting ready to post an organizing thread for a new round of Color of the Month Swaps for 2010. It should be up shortly. So if you are interested in hosting a Color swap, keep your eyes open for it. Penny
    ...See More
  • susantexoma
    15 years ago

My seeds are on their way -- I mailed them this afternoon.

Susan

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Seeds are in the mail!

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Seeds are mailed out. I THINK I put return postage inside, but I just had a panicked moment when I could not say for sure. SO, If I forgot, please send me an email and I will mail it in an enve real quick. I hope I did.

Thnaks.
    Nichol

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Seeds are in their envie, and are going to work with me tomorrow so I can mail them out!

Linda, don't fall off that pile of boxes!

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

My seeds are on the way! Thanks for hosting! Melinda

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Mine will be in the mail today! Stopping at the post office on the way to the doctor's.

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah! I will post when I receive the seeds.

Only One Day Left to Sign Up!

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

(Big sigh)Ok, I'm in, I'm sure I can find 10 purple plant seeds. It sounds like this would be more pleasure than work.
    This would be a good time to learn how to host a little swap. I'd like to take Chocolate in August, and if we are doing 2 colors per month, then Chocolate and Red would be lovely. The month is flexible too. LMK if this is alright and if I am able to host it. Thanks. Chris

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Just finished sorting and packaging my seeds. They will go out tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for hosting, Anna!

Bonnie

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your in grolikecrazy. I will be sending you an email shortly. All the colors and months have already been filled. But I will let you know if and when we start another round.

Becky and Susan: Received your seeds today! :)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I'll be packing mine up this weekend so they will go out on Monday! :)

Hugs,
    Wendy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!

-Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know, I've posted the Blue Seed Swap. Follow the link below to go there and sign up.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to go to the Blue Seed Swap...

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Anna,

I will try to get my seeds together tomorrow and in the mail Monday.

I need your address please!

Mark

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's who I've received seeds from so far (in no particular order):
    gardenmom2
    dan_the_mailman
    ilovefarac
    naturegirl_2007
    booberry85
    susantexoma

I will be updating this list once a week, Next update will be next Monday.

Happy Easter Everyone!

• cybermeowz
    15 years ago

Anna,
    Just mailed off my seeds to you about an hour ago.

Penny

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Anna ~ Could you please email me your address please? I'm not sure what I did w/ it!!

Thankyou,
    Wendy

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

Wow

How in the world did I miss a purple swap....... I must be losing my mind.

Acres

• medontdo
    15 years ago

man, i'd love to host one, ummm......a orange and white mix. or how do ya say that? two tones in one flower. that'd be awesome. :') mine are going out today. i have to get some more stamps so i can send out my birthday months ones too. Hee Hee i think i'm finally getting a "little" organized!! we planted out all our vegies, my son was totally happy when he seen all the beets he got, then when he had to plant them, he wasn't so excited. **grin** hmmm.....i don't know why?? LOL sorry i've been "out" we are wrapping up the last month of schooling for these two, and WOW they are too excited. makes teaching them "fun" LOL ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: barehanded totally nutso gardener :'}

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I can't find your addy... Could you please email it to me I have mine ready...

Tammy

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

Sorry for just now posting. Didn't have access to the internet :-(
    I think I am gong to have to back out of this swap. I am so far behind and would like to get caught up before committing to anything else. I hope this is ok???

Thanks and Happy Spring Everyone!
    Carrie

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

My seeds are going out in the mail this evening. Hopefully, this is soon enough. Unexpected demands on my time have come up. We recently found out we have to move AGAIN.

So, been packing (again) and apartment/house hunting for a place we can afford which also allows pets. All of this really does eat up free time for hobbies and swaps.

Thanks for being understanding. :)

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

barefoot_contessa: I'm sorry you have to back out, but that's okay with me. If I have lots of leftovers, I'll send you some anyways! :)

Grovespirit: if you want to send your seeds and then let me know your address later on, that's fine. :)

Here's an updated list:

Received
    lindaruzicka
    gardenmom2
    dan_the_mailman
    susantexoma
    ilovefarac
    highalttransplant
    naturegirl_2007
    booberry85

Not Received
    bonechickchris
    medontdo-in the mail
    grovespirit-in the mail
    cybermeowz
    markcase1964
    kamiljablo
    greenthumbgrow
    sassybutterfly_2008
    blue_ivy
    demp_pa
    grolikecrazy-in the mail

I will be sending out a reminder email today :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

I totally forgot to post! So sorry! My seeds are out and about! Should be to you soon! Christy

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

Ah how sweet. Thank you! I was hoping that I wasn't going to upset anyone by not being able to participate. :-)
    Hope you all have fun!
    grovespirit - once you get moved, I would still love to trade with you (seeds). We were never able to finalize out trade. That's when my computer went poopy on me.
    Hope you find a nice home for you and your pets!

Carrie

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's an updated list

Received
    lindaruzicka
    gardenmom2
    dan_the_mailman
    susantexoma
    ilovefarac
    highalttransplant
    naturegirl_2007
    booberry85
    bonechickchris
    medontdo
    grovespirit
    cybermeowz
    blue_ivy
    grolikecrazy
    demp_pa-in the mail

Not Received
    markcase1964
    kamiljablo
    greenthumbgrow
    sassybutterfly_2008

I'm going to be sorting this week and will mail them out on Monday. If you are on my Not Received list, please contact me, as I have not heard back from you. If anyone knows if their (on the not received list) computer is down, please let me know.
    Thanks!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

see, linda is a really really bad and evil person, **onery grinn** did ya'll get this dark and sinister email?? man, i did, LOL **big smile** i was happily going along, thinking yay!! my rr is almost over, exept for the bday one, well, then she goes and sends me one that tells me about dans, how evil!!! truely evil!! **huge smile** ya know, i onpurposely don't visit thes places so i don't get all weak and join one!! OMGoodness!! hubs redneck name is butch beaver ***OMG i'm sooooo laughing!!!!**** anyhow i'm so anxous to see my seeds!! WOWOOO HOOOOO!!
    is everyone as anxious as me????? LOL ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: barehanded totally nutso gardener :'}}

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

why Medo, I don't know what you mean..."innocent smile"...

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

***I know EXACTLY what she means...***

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone who sent in seeds! They are going out tomorrow. If you still have not sent me your seeds, the deadline was last week. :( There's always the Blue Seed Swap going on now, or you can save those purple seeds for next time!

Thanks everyone!

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

YAY!!! Here come the seeds!!! THANKS ANNA, FOR STARTING THIS!!!

And, for all you others, if you haven't signed up yet for the Blue Seed Swap, there's still time! You can sign-up until Friday night/Saturday morning by sending me an e-mail with your name, address, garden web name, and e-mail address. I'm mailing out my address to everyone who is signed up on Saturday the 2nd so you all can send me those seed packets, and I can start sorting and mailing!

happy Sunday to all, and to all a great day!
    -Dan

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Guys and Gals,
    Sorry about the lateness of the seeds :(
    I am actually running to the post office now. I have been working on other projects.

blue_ivy, you should get your seeds early next week-I'm sending those by high-speed mail, or the quickest way to get you as early as possible.

Thank you all for being so patient and for making this a fun swap! Good luck to Dan and his Blue Seed Swap as well!

• medontdo
    14 years ago

i am so anxious for the purple, i only have two purple vegies, one is ornamental pepper and the other is a bean, so i hope i have something cool!! **big grin** if they are just flowers, i'll just toss them in with talla's fairy stuff, she'll only be so happy!! ummm...dan, you'd be only not so happy with her garden, its NOT organized!! LOL i sooooo love that!! **grin** although, i'm just slowly but surely getting this lawn gone!! hee hee, and the funny part, i don't think hubs even is paying attention that much!! **grin** he's just happy i'm busy and not mad for a change!! LOL dang horomones!! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: barehanded totally nutso gardener :'}}

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

OK I just realized I did NOT send my package as I found it under a pile of stuff on my desk. errrr. I thought I mailed it with the others I mailed out weeks ago. Anyway Anna please do not wait for mine. I am sorry about that.

Tammy:-)

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today! I was so excited..there's seeds in there I haven't grown or heard of before..excellent job Anna! Thanks everyone!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

congratulations Linda! I'm still looking for my purple seeds, but have received blue seeds from two people so far...

Anna, this was an excellent idea!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Big thanks for the seeds everyone! I'm thrilled with the veggies and the Rose of Sharon seeds.

Big thanks to Anna for coordinating the swap!

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    14 years ago

My seeds arrived today!! I'm thrilled to have a new tomato and pepper to add to my already too large collections. There are also several veggies and flowers I'm anxious to try, and I didn't even know I wanted them :) Thanks carroteggs and all you swappers. Gotta go do some planting now. Warm weather can't be too far away.

• gardenmom2
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. I was so thrilled to get my enve today. It had purple broccoli (YIPPEE) and purple carrots. My kids are SOOOO excited. It has lots of purple flowers that I have never grown. I am so thrilled with the large selection I rec'd. I want to say thanks to everyone. Great swap.

Nichol

• susantexoma
    14 years ago

My seeds arrived yesterday and I love them -- purple basil and deep purple scabiosa, yay! What a great selection -- thank you everyone and especially thank you Anna, you ran such a fun (and perfectly organized) swap!

Susan

• blue_ivy
    14 years ago

Anna and everyone,

Thanks so much for the seeds! I am especially excited about the tomatillo and passion fruit!!

Anna, it was so kind of you to send the seeds fast so I had time to plant them before leaving - thanks so much!

And thanks everyone!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

I got my purple seeds yesterday! And wow! What a selection! I received
    Grandpa Otts Morning Glories
    Paulonia Tomentosa
    Purple Flamingo Celosia
    Purple Poppy
    Purple Perfume Nicotania
    Ladybells
    Violet Dusk Penstemon
    An Eggplant Blend (I love eggplant parmesan!)
    Purple Viena Kohlrabi
    Pinkeye Purple Hull Cowpea
    Purple Sweetrocket Hesperis
    Verbena (love this plant!)
    African Foxglove (love this one too!)
    Star of Yelta Morning Glory
    Purple Liatris
    Datura Tatula

I'm going to have to look some of these up, but that's fine with me! I like learning about new types of plants! Go figure, eh? LOL!!!

Thank You Everyone For Sending In These Great Seeds!

Thank You Anna For Hosting This Swap! It was a lot of fun, and a great idea!

REMINDER: There's still time to join in on the Blue Seed Swap if you haven't already. E-mail me for my address if you'd like to participate. I've already received some great envies full of seeds, and will be sorting them and sending them on the 15th of May.

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday!
    -Dan

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thank you to everybody for a great selection of seeds. Thanks to Anna for being a great hostess.

Don (dem_pa)

• medontdo
    14 years ago

my seeds came in yesteday, thank you so much!! i was pleasantly surprised :')
    i recieved:
    purple dragon carrots
    purple basil
    dwarf grey sugar snow pea
    purple coneflower
    purple turnip top
    victoria egg plant
    cherokeep purple tomatoe
    black beauty egg plant
    purple foxglove
    purple kale
    thank you so much for this! it was a great swap!!
    ~Medo

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Bump!

Here is the Official Months of Hosting List:
    April : Dan : Blue
    May : Christy : Black
    June: Bonnie : Yellow
    July : Tammy : Red
    August : Linda : Rainbow
    September : Kamil : White
    October : Nichol : Pink
    November : Penny : Orange
    December : Carrie : Chocolate
    January : Wendy : Green

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Has anyone seen/heard from Kamil lately? Or did his final exams eat him up? I haven't seen him on the web lately...

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope, I hope he is still okay since he is hosting the White Swap in September.... uh oh. ;)

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I thought he was still away...