SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ooojen

Tree frog

ooojen
21 years ago

Here's one of the two babies I took in last fall (from my pond). They were just losing their tails when it was getting pretty cold, and as they were so small & skinny, I was afraid they wouldn't make the winter. Their tank is more utilitarian than beautiful. The little mound of rotting fruit/vegetable matter in the corner doesn't help the looks...it provides for a constants supply of fruit flies, though. There's a piece of rot-resistant wood to climb on, a water dish, a small Nephrolepis cordifolia (dim conditions keep it from growing rampantly, but it still looks a nice healthy green), a Davallia trying to encompass the wood, and a Hatioria growing in Osmunda fiber in an elevated spot. The tank sits in a cool north window. I also have a removable cricket jar. The sides are slick enough that the little crickets don't crawl out, but the frogs can get in & out to feed. I've had experience with crickets I've released into a tank digging tunnels where they can't be found to be eaten, and feasting off my plants' roots. 'Nuff of that!

It was my intention all along to release these frogs back by my pond in spring, but it's going to be really difficult to do! They're still so tiny and vulnerable, and now I'm attached. They look like Blue Jay hors d'oeuvres, don't you think? This one's sitting on a quarter (on a Ficus elastica.) Little Hyla versicolor (or possibly H. chrysoscelis- still a little small to tell, but the former is more common around here.)

Image link:

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor