SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrieann0413

a few ?'s from a 1st timer

carrieann0413
14 years ago

I am planning out my 1st squarefoot garden, well my 1st garden period actually. I have started my tomato and green/red pepper seed indoors around mid march (the seedlings are looking great) now I am getting ready to start buying supplies to build my raised bed. I am planning on a 3ft by 6 foot bed with one 6 ft side on the north side on my yard with a full trellis along the whole 6ft. I am trying to decide the best plan for where to put what I want to try and grow this year. Here is the list of what I want to try. if anyone has any tips on where in the bed to plant what or suggestions about what to plant or not to plant next to each other or any other tips I am open to all.

along 6 ft. trellis side I was thinking...starting with the 1st square in the north/west corner large beafsteak tomato, then summers choice slicing tomatoes, salad mix cherry tomato, cucumbers, pole beans. I know that leaves me with an open square, not sure if I want another section of cucumbers or more pole beans or something else to climb the trellis...open to ideas for another climber for this spot.

the next 2 rows of 6 squares is where I am lost. I have seeds to plant green peppers (already started seeds), carnival mix of peppers (already started seeds), broccoli (having 2nd thoughts about this one. I have heard they are a pain with pests and not worth the trouble. We love broccoli and I thought it would be fun to let my daughters grow their own. Should I go ahead and give them a try? I know they are spring/fall crops so am I to late to start them in late April/ early May? Should I wait til later in season and put them in an empty summer square for fall harvest?

I also have seeds for carrots which I was thinking of planting at least 2 squares of carrots. Part of my reason to try a garden is to get away from all the pesticides on fruits and veggies from the store and since potatoes are considered to be on the list of worst ones I thought of maybe trying out potatoes but just like the broccoli I have heard they are real pest magnets (talking bugs here, lol) I also thought maybe I could give lettuce and maybe spinach a try I dont have a shady area for this garden so I would need some shade cloth for these, correct? I did have a small container garden last year (gift and was really small, had oregano, basil, sage and 1 cabbage) and well by cabbage was eaten up by something (not a rabbit) The leaves were covered in small holes. So any idea what happened? Will I be fighting pests with lettuce as well? Sorry to sound like a bug phob. I know gardening involves bugs but I dont want to get into something that ruins garden and leaves me with little to harvest.

I was also thinking of letting my girls put some potted plants (flowers) around the raised bed area (unless I have room in it) so they have something fun to tend to and watch grow while we are waiting for our veggies. Any suggestions for flowers? Once again something that isn't going to attract any bad bugs :)

Thanks for any help!

Comments (8)

Sponsored