SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dabt_gw

Please help me make sense of poisonous plant warnings.

dabt
18 years ago

Hello,

I am a mother of a very curious and active 2 year old boy + one on the way, and not much previous experience with children. We have been creating a childrenÂs garden in our yard, which my son and I have been enjoying immensely, but I need help making sense of warnings about poisonous plants. I have been having a tough time finding practical information on this subject and itÂs so hard to tell if IÂm worrying too much about this or not.

I planted morning glories and tomatoes in the garden only to learn that the leaves and vines of the tomatoes are poisonous and the seeds of the morning glories are poisonous. I would be very diligent about removing these plants from the garden, but from what I hear, these plants are very common in childrenÂs gardens. IÂm not able to find out exactly HOW poisonous these plants are (just a tummy ache, or something worse?). Has anyone had bad experiences with these plants?

My other concern is that we have been planting vegetables and fruit and some berries. I know my son will really enjoy picking all of those nice strawberries and things and popping them into his mouth, but my fear is that he will want to do the same to any holly bush, deadly nightshade, or other plant that he sees elsewhere. Does this tend to be a much of a problem with children who enjoy edible gardens?

I would really love to hear how others approach this problem. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

Sponsored