SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
careytearose

gardening for/with kids, better than video games??'

careytearose
16 years ago

In the fall I approached my seventh grade dd's guidance class teacher about seeing if the students would be interested in doing some service project hours in our garden. AS we live across the street from the school, this made the idea very convenient. I came one day to the guidance classes all day, giving a 5 minute pitch about it. I wore my typical "garden garb"; my big green straw garden hat, leather rose gloves and my garden jacket, and brought a trundle basket with some fresh cut roses. I told the students about what we were going to be doing , let them smell all the roses that I passed around, and they asked lots of good questions!

We had 9 jr. highers come on two different Saturdays from 9-12noon, a month apart. They did cleanup, planted roses, dug in daffodil bulb, planted seeds.

One of the 7th grade boys commented that doing this gardening "was better than playing video games". When I told him mother this when she came to pick him up, she was very surprised to hear that her son had actually said this!

careytearose

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions