SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bari779

Weed barrier question - it is under my SFG box.....

bari779
14 years ago

I am a newbie to SFG and have made my first two beds (both 4x8) after reading Mel's "All New SFG" book. After reading the book here is how I constructed my boxes - they are made out of 2-by lumber and are 8" high (or deep, depending on how you look at it). Because we have a LOT of bermuda and highly invasive grasses in our yard, I put down weed barrier. The weed barrier is also UNDER the boxes. I didn't think anything of it as Mel says you can also make containers with fixed bottoms and shouldn't have a problem.

I just found this forum tonight and have been reading and now am questioning what I did. Am I going to have problems with my plants not being able to grow? I planned on putting in all the normal garden stuff including corn, beans, peas, lettuce, etc. Is there anything I should NOT plant in these beds?

I have the Mel's mix in place already so it would be difficult to cut out the weed barrier without a lot of work. I guess I could try to pull it out from under after lifting up the sides of the box. I was planning on planting tomorrow!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bari

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations